Has the internet made libraries and newspapers obsolete?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 raghavan
Member since 2003 • 3416 Posts

When i was younger, i used to go to libraries all the time for research. Nowadays i just type my topic in google and i get my research done right there and then. I still go to read books for fun, im talking about in terms of research.

Same with newspapers. EG I used to check the paper for sports scores when i was younger (didnt have cable when younger so no ESPN). Nowadays i just go to nfl.com or mlb.com and check the scores there if i miss anything.

So, what do you guys think? Agree, disagree? Will the internet make our old ways obsolete soon enough?

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

Some of it. I haven't opened a newspaper in years. I get my news off of the net and tv.

I still regularly visit a library though. Paper books are still the prefered way to read stories and you can't always trust everything on the web.

jugend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jugend
Member since 2003 • 3193 Posts
Not yet. I don't think it will make libraries completely obsolete either, at least not for a while. There's still stuff like newspapers on microfilm, academic journals etc that aren't available online. Though resources like JSTOR and similar online databases are really nice, they just don't have it all... plus they require a membership unless you're a student at a university that provides access to them.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
Generally most of the authoritative literature is still in text form. It would be suicidal to write a thesis with reference to websites that you found using Google.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

Generally most of the authoritative literature is still in text form. It would be suicidal to write a thesis with reference to websites that you found using Google. Luncbox1

Too true.

If I'm just going to type something into google, I might as well use Wikipedia.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Library? Sorry, I don't think they have those here in America. :?
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
old people will always prefer hard material I think, but after that generation dies I really cant see people actually going to a library or subscribing to a newspaper. It just doesnt make sense anymore.
wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts

Library? Sorry, I don't think they have those here in America. :?zakkro

In every city, big or small, in schools, and at Universities. Unless you were joking..

UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UnrighteousFury

old people will always prefer hard material I think, but after that generation dies I really cant see people actually going to a library or subscribing to a newspaper. It just doesnt make sense anymore.IZoMBiEI

Well, I'm 17 and I'd take a CD or Vinyl over an mp3 any day.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

[QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"]old people will always prefer hard material I think, but after that generation dies I really cant see people actually going to a library or subscribing to a newspaper. It just doesnt make sense anymore.UnrighteousFury

why? do you honestly use cd players still? I still buy cds..but after I burn them to my player and computer I dont see them again. I work at radioshack and really its just the old people who want cd players. its been at least 8-9 years since Ive owned and used a cd player.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not until all the books ever written in the history of human civilization are available freely online will libraries ever become obsolete. Doing "research" on Google would not be acceptable at the university level, you have to read books, books that are still only in print form to get the scholarly data you need for papers in university. There are tons of online journals and other scholarly sources but most books still aren't freely available online yet, unfortunately. Until they are, I will continue to go to my library and read musty old tomes for my knowledge.
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnrighteousFury

[QUOTE="UnrighteousFury"]

[QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"]old people will always prefer hard material I think, but after that generation dies I really cant see people actually going to a library or subscribing to a newspaper. It just doesnt make sense anymore.IZoMBiEI

why? do you honestly use cd players still? I still buy cds..but after I burn them to my player and computer I dont see them again. I work at radioshack and really its just the old people who want cd players. its been at least 8-9 years since Ive owned and used a cd player.

I use my CD player occasionally, but my mp3 player usually gets all the love. And yeah, when I buy a CD the first thing I do is rip it to my computer.

Artwork/Liner notes + being able to rip to whatever quality you want = buying CDs being a much, much better decision than buying mp3s.

PlaWeird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PlaWeird
Member since 2008 • 2239 Posts

Well, if there's something I need to know, I use the internet.

Even that I don't look for information from libraries these days, I still go there rather often. I love to read books, but don't have the money to pay for them, so, library it is!

When I drink my coffee every morning, I read the newspaper at the same time. Not for information, just because it's a habit.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
Sometimes, when it comes to the news. As for research and stuff, my profs still require the majority of our sources to be in print.
raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raghavan
Member since 2003 • 3416 Posts

Agreed on the university research that most people have presented. I go to a community college so it's less demanding in terms of research. But im sure if i went to a big University id have to go the library to research some things.

In terms of CDs, its all about MP3's now. I bought a CD player in 02 and by 04/05 it was completely worthless. I don't really listen to music on the go anymore but if i did i would use my cellphone with MP3 capability or buy an Ipod. CD's look like they will soon be going the way of vinyl and cassettes.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
The internet is good for "quick fix" research but is far too transient and largely unsourced to be used for serious research.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

Maybe, maybe not.

A little off topic in off topic... but don't you hate professors that assign a paper but REQUIRE one text source? I did a project on advertising in video games... yeah, there was nothing available at two libraries I went to.

xMOBSTER23x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xMOBSTER23x
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts
Not libraries. Newspapers yeah.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
you still need libaries for high level research and what about novels and such?