Has anyone else noticed how hilariously bad wikihow is?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Ever took the time to read one of the guides from that site?.

They basically don't give any advice, they just state the obvious, for example, a "how to stop giving bad advice" guide literally said "Know when you're giving a bad advice".

Other articles simply post stats, or facts, especially those in which the thing you're looking for can't really be done by your own means.

For example, a "how to have twins" article says "be from hawaii! hawaii has the highest rate of twin births in the world!", another one, about how to grow a beard, said things like "have high amounts of testosterone!".

Then it offers some crazy ass, impractical advices, like a guide on how todefend yourself from a larger opponent in a fight (and the illustrations are hilarious as well), it started pretty normal, giving good advice like "go for the head, the nose and the knees) then things escalate rather quickly and suddenly the advice you're getting is "know how to use a martial arts weapon like nunchucks, a katana or a bo staff" (yeah I'm pretty sure we all carry katanas and nunchucks when we're on our way to work or classes).

One of the additional advices for that one said that you should scream because a loud scream could "numb and disorientate your opponent", as if you were a fucking banshee.

Have a look for yourself...search for anything, really I guarantee you're bound to find a hilariously bad guide for something.

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Yeah, I read it for shits and gigs in my spare time..............Some articles are ridiculous.............

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Wiki Answers is worse.

Way worse.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

It's irritating a lot of times when you want to seriously learn something.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

From my very limited experience with the site (which is like 2 or 3 visits, really), it's a complete waste of time trying to look for any one specific thing on there.

If you're trying to figure something out, just use the links from various google searches and go from there.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lightleggy

@Kevlar101 said:

Wiki Answers is worse.

Way worse.

Nah, in WA you're bound to get a nice answer sometime.

in WH every single piece of info is either not an actual "how to" or it's fucking stupid.

Like how they were trying to teach kids that they could daze/stun a bully by shouting at them.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

You can probably blame trolls. With Wikipedia they have a strong community and bots to combat nonsense but that can't be said about a lot of other wikis.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@Kevlar101 said:

Wiki Answers is worse.

Way worse.

Nah, in WA you're bound to get a nice answer sometime.

in WH every single piece of info is either not an actual "how to" or it's fucking stupid.

Like how they were trying to teach kids that they could daze/stun a bully by shouting at them.

Have you seem the layout of Wiki Answers??? It's horrible.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i used to think WH was a parody of some sort.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lightleggy

@ad1x2 said:

You can probably blame trolls. With Wikipedia they have a strong community and bots to combat nonsense but that can't be said about a lot of other wikis.

They also have a community there that blocks any critics.