Harvey Weinstein is sentenced to 23 years in prison for criminal sexual act and third-degree rape convictions.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/harvey-weinstein-verdict-soon-1203512943/

Harvey Weinstein was found guilty on Monday of committing a “criminal sexual act” and third-degree rape, but acquitted of two counts of predatory sexual assault.

The jury of seven men and five women deliberated for four and a half days before reaching the verdict on Monday morning. Weinstein was stone-faced as the verdict was read.

Justice James Burke ordered Weinstein to be taken into custody. He is due to be sentenced on March 11.

At a press conference, District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr., hailed the verdict as marking a “new day” for rape victims.

“Rape is rape, whether it’s committed by a stranger in a dark alley or by an intimate partner,” Vance said. “It’s rape whether it’s committed by an indigent person or a man of immense power, personage and privilege… Weinstein is a vicious serial sexual predator who used his power to threaten, rape, assault, trick, humiliate and silence his victims.”

Outside the courthouse, defense attorney Donna Rotunno said he will appeal. “The fight is not over,” she said. “He is going to continue to fight.”

Weinstein faces a maximum of 25 years in prison on the charge of sexually assaulting Miriam Haley at his Soho apartment on July 10, 2006. He was also convicted of third-degree rape on the charge of assaulting Jessica Mann, an aspiring actress and hairdresser who accused him of raping her at a DoubleTree Hotel in New York on March 18, 2013.

The jury, however, found Weinstein not guilty of the two most serious charges of predatory sexual assault, which carried a potential sentence of 10 years to life in prison. The jury also found Weinstein not guilty of first-degree rape of Mann, indicating they believed that he raped her but that he did not use “forcible compulsion” to do so.

The verdict indicates that the jurors did not believe, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Weinstein had raped and assaulted actress Annabella Sciorra at her Gramercy Park apartment in the early 1990s.

After the verdict was read, Rotunno asked that he remain out on bail pending his sentencing. She said that he required medical attention, following an unsuccessful surgery on his back. “He is currently taking shots in his eyes so he does not go blind,” she said. Burke denied the request.

Soon after the verdict was read, Weinstein was surrounded by bailiffs, handcuffed, and taken to jail.

On Friday, the jurors appeared to be deadlocked on the two most serious charges of predatory sexual assault. They sent a note to Burke asking what to do if they could not agree on those counts, but were unanimous on the charges of rape and criminal sexual act. Burke instructed them to keep deliberating.

The prosecution called 28 witnesses over 12 days, including three “prior bad acts” witnesses, who told jurors that Weinstein had sexually assaulted them in his apartment and in hotel suites in New York and Beverly Hills.

The jurors had focused in on Haley and Sciorra’s testimony, asking the court reporter to read back substantial portions of their accounts.

Haley told the jurors that Weinstein lunged at her on the sofa, and then backed her into a bedroom. “He pushed me down,” she said. “He held me down by my arms. I said, ‘No, no!'”

Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi had urged jurors to convict the producer, saying he had abused his immense power in the industry to exploit vulnerable women. She argued that Weinstein could have hired sex workers, but preferred to trick aspiring actresses into his “lair.”

Several of the accusers told harrowing stories of the effect of the assault on their lives. Sciorra testified that she began cutting herself, and fell into depression and addiction in the years following the rape. She and others cried on the stand. Mann sobbed several times, and at one point the trial had to be halted for the day when she could not continue.

“They sacrificed their dignity, their privacy and their peace,” Illuzzi told the jury in her closing argument. “All for the prospect that their voices would be enough for justice.”

The defense had sought to highlight affectionate emails between the producer and his alleged victims, arguing that rape victims would not communicate that way with their assailant. Rotunno argued that Mann had consensual sex with Weinstein because she wanted to attend parties and advance her career.

“She made a choice that she wanted to be in his world,” Rotunno said in her closing argument. “She made a choice that she wanted the life that he could potentially provide her.”

She also contended that the witnesses had turned against Weinstein because they were pursuing fame and civil payouts. Rotunno said that Sciorra had become the “darling of the movement” after claiming that Weinstein raped her.

Earlier on Monday morning, defense attorney Arthur Aidala made a motion for a mistrial. The motion was denied.

Weinstein still faces four additional charges in Los Angeles, where is accused of raping one woman and assaulting another within a 48-hour period in 2013.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. So OT, in your "I totally didn't followed the trial but here is my take anyway", do you think justice was served?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Well, there was a proper legal and judicial process, was there not?

So yeah, I'd say justice was served. No, rule of law is not perfect, but it serves more purpose than just punishing the guilty.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

At least he's going to be doing time. Wondering how much he's going to be sentenced for; I'm amazed that's it's coming in only a few weeks--thought it would be longer.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Master_Live: No. Solitary confinement in a 4X4 cell with one meal a day and a teaspoon of water for the rest of his life would be justice.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Here's a really in-depth podcast about all the people around Weinstein who clearly knew what he was doing and did nothing about it.

Part One: It Takes A Village of Bastards to Make a Weinstein

The dude deserves what he gets, and then some, but there are also a lot of other people around the man who are essentially accomplices in his various bad deeds.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

We'll see how much time he gets to determine if there is any real justice. But if he's out in 2 with a suite like Martha Stewart had, then I'd say no. But Harvey Weinstein is just one snake in a whole den of them. There are many more just like him, and even more who knows bout them that are being kept quiet. Hollywood as a whole doesn't deserve my money.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Awaiting presidential pardon in 3, 2, 1....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56067 Posts

Harvey Weinstein had it coming. Can't say I feel sorry for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Is he going to meet Bill Cobsy in there?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@Master_Live said:

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/harvey-weinstein-verdict-soon-1203512943/

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. So OT, in your "I totally didn't followed the trial but here is my take anyway", do you think justice was served?

Don't know, don't care.

I hate publicized trials, so I try to stay away from following them.

My mom and I had a good talk about it, she is a smart lady and she is in a book group with a lot of other smart ladies, but they had all mentioned how they didn't like the fact that there were seven men and five women on the jury, so I was talking to my mom and sister about that and I said that male rapists make us all look bad. I think the verdict shows that justice can be served, and men won't stick up for scumbags simply because they are men.

So I guess I am happy with this. Maybe rapists or potential rapists will feel a little less secure in the world, and women a lot safer in the world.

TL;DR: this is a victory for all of society, not just the victims.

Hope we go after the rest of the shitbags in Hollywood and entertainment. I imagine in 10 years the hip hop industry will get its turn; I can't imagine what women in that industry have to go through, given what we see of them on the surface is essentially hoeing themselves out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Here's a really in-depth podcast about all the people around Weinstein who clearly knew what he was doing and did nothing about it.

Part One: It Takes A Village of Bastards to Make a Weinstein

The dude deserves what he gets, and then some, but there are also a lot of other people around the man who are essentially accomplices in his various bad deeds.

And more doing the same things...…….

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@Master_Live: No Parole? I wasn't expecting a life sentence but damn, 23 years is a hefty fine.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 plageus900

@davillain-: For rape?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator

@plageus900: With all the money he has, I would assume he could cut a deal with the judge or something like that. I guess that's not the case for him.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By plageus900

@davillain-: Sounds like a good thing to me.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

And I think he still has a trial in L.A. to look forward to as well. I think he might just croak in prison before he completes his sentence.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

And I think he still has a trial in L.A. to look forward to as well. I think he might just croak in prison before he completes his sentence.

or pull an Epstein..

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

P.C. or not he was waiting at Rikers. I'm surprised he still lives. The 23 years shocked the hell out of me as I figured he'd finagle his way out of a harsh penalty.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Time for a Hollywood movie based of true events.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6087 Posts

I hope a big hairy man with a "12"penis rips a monster size hole in you know where. Plus bits his nuts off and let that scumbag bleed to his eternal suffering. Am I asking for to much? I don't think so. He Fu*cking deserves it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

I hope a big hairy man with a "12"penis rips a monster size hole in you know where. Plus bits his nuts off and let that scumbag bleed to his eternal suffering. Am I asking for to much? I don't think so. He Fu*cking deserves it.

Isn't it strange that we hate rape so much that we wish rape upon rapists?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6087 Posts

@Serraph105: As strange as it may seem, yes he does deserve to get to whatever he gets. Women, men and children don't deserve to be forced into Sex for whatever reason, or having to have to make a decision to in the event to advance in their job, career or any other occupation. If he wanted sex that badly, prostitution of some kind with women who are freely willing to have Sex for cash, without aggressively force, bribery, etc.... I don't know if you agree with me entirely or not, but I sure you would want him to serve his time, as for me, I believe an eye for an eye.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Master_Live: My guess due to the fact that he was positive for Corona-virus is that he will be let out soon possibly. We shall see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@davillain- said:

Harvey Weinstein had it coming. Can't say I feel sorry for him.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@Serraph105: As strange as it may seem, yes he does deserve to get to whatever he gets. Women, men and children don't deserve to be forced into Sex for whatever reason, or having to have to make a decision to in the event to advance in their job, career or any other occupation. If he wanted sex that badly, prostitution of some kind with women who are freely willing to have Sex for cash, without aggressively force, bribery, etc.... I don't know if you agree with me entirely or not, but I sure you would want him to serve his time, as for me, I believe an eye for an eye.

Rape is about power, not sex.

Considering his position, I'm fairly sure this guy had plenty of young, attractive women out there willing to sleep with him, just so they said they could, or to win favor so he could help them. If you're in such an industry as an authority, finding a partner wouldn't be hard. I'd imagine woman are more than likely throwing themselves at you often, even if you're not attractive.