Hardest Logic Puzzle Ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Three men A, B, and C are called, in some order, True, False, and Random.

True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter.

Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one person.

The men understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are 'da' and 'ja', in some order. You do not know which word means which.

Edit: here is more clarification

• It could be that some man gets asked more than one question (and hence that some man is not asked any question at all).
  • What the second question is, and to which man it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
  • Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly;if tails, falsely.
  • Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question

P.S. You're a person with impressive intellegence if you managed to solve this puzzle without help.

Avatar image for comrade_sniperr
comrade_sniperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 comrade_sniperr
Member since 2006 • 955 Posts
um im not built for these things
Jakesgotbeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jakesgotbeef
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
I've solved that one before, just not gonna ruin it so soon because its a very good puzzle.
comrade_sniperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 comrade_sniperr

I've solved that one before, just not gonna ruin it so soon because its a very good puzzle.Jakesgotbeef

PM me the answer PLEASE

much appreciated 

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I point a gun at them and ask if they want to die.
GiygasFanima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GiygasFanima
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
Did I mention that you can count my GPA on one finger. Well, maybe one finger and half of the other.
Jakesgotbeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jakesgotbeef
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

[QUOTE="Jakesgotbeef"]I've solved that one before, just not gonna ruin it so soon because its a very good puzzle.comrade_sniperr

PM me the answer PLEASE

much appreciated 

look it up im lazy and tired

comrade_sniperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 comrade_sniperr
[QUOTE="comrade_sniperr"]

[QUOTE="Jakesgotbeef"]I've solved that one before, just not gonna ruin it so soon because its a very good puzzle.Jakesgotbeef

PM me the answer PLEASE

much appreciated

where?  

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
[QUOTE="Jakesgotbeef"][QUOTE="comrade_sniperr"]

[QUOTE="Jakesgotbeef"]I've solved that one before, just not gonna ruin it so soon because its a very good puzzle.comrade_sniperr

PM me the answer PLEASE

much appreciated

where?

Just copy a piece of the riddle and put it into google I guess...
GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 GameFreak315
Member since 2003 • 28485 Posts
Tell one of them to take me to one of the other guys, specifying which one I want to be taken to.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mystery_Writer

here is more clarification

• It could be that some man gets asked more than one question (and hence that some man is not asked any question at all).
  • What the second question is, and to which man it is put, may depend on the answer to the first question. (And of course similarly for the third question.)
  • Whether Random speaks truly or not should be thought of as depending on the flip of a coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly;if tails, falsely.
  • Random will answer 'da' or 'ja' when asked any yes-no question
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
Obviously just ask Random a couple of times which guy is Liar or whatever. Then ask the Liar if Random is Random and then you'll have your men.
SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

PM me the answer PLEASE

much appreciated 

CAn you please PM me the answer and the way to get there im so confused

ExiledHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ExiledHero
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts
I guess I'd ask each person "Are you dead?" repeatedly until a pattern arises.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I guess I'd ask each person "Are you dead?" repeatedly until a pattern arises.ExiledHero

Good one.  That should work. 

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

I guess I'd ask each person "Are you dead?" repeatedly until a pattern arises.ExiledHero

How would you know what "da" and "ja" mean though?  

Hussein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hussein
Member since 2002 • 1970 Posts

This logic puzzle took me a whole day to solve, I used a lot of Boolean logic skills I picked up throughout my years of software development just to solve it.  It's without a doubt the hardest logic puzzle I have ever encountered.

Here is my solution (warning: wall of text)

I'd ask my 3 questions to any of the guys (regardless), because the way I'm gonna formulate my question should allow me (all in one shot) to: a) extract the truth out of any of them, regardless of being truthful, lying or random. b) solve the language barrier

Q1 (for any of the guys)
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is A TRUE?"

The first part of this question "Answer yes with da and no with ja" forces the person to use da for yes and ja for no (regardless of what they mean in his language).

So from the first part of the question, I already eliminated the language barrier.

The second part of the question is "what would a truthful person say about what you're going to say" forces him (even if he lies) to flip his lie to truth.

Here is an explanation to the lie flipping trick:

Assume A is FALSE and B is TRUE.
If you ask A "are you a liar?"
The correct answer is "YES", but since A is FALSE, he'll say "NO"

Now, if we ask B to tell us (from his perspective) what would A answer be to the question of "are you a liar?"
B knows that A would answer it with "NO", so B's answer would be "NO" (similar to A's answer).

Now if we ask A about what B's gonna say about A's answer (I know,  complicated :P), then we actually gonna get the truth out of A.
Reason for that is, A will now know that B will answer with "NO", and because he's FALSE, he'll flip it to "YES" when he answers us.

Which in this case our original question of "Are you a liar?" would be answered by the liar as "YES".

And the good thing about this logic is that if the person in which we're trying our tricky logic here is already truthful, no truth flipping will occur. (I know it's a bit complicated but try it out for yourself with examples if you want).

So now that we dissected how our first question is formulated (the other two will use the exact same lie flipping trick), we can proceed knowing that a) we don't have a language barrier, and b) whomever we'll ask (TRUE, FALSE, or RANDOM) we should receive a truthful answer.

So back to our first question above ("Is A TRUE?"), we should get either one of two answers YES or NO truthfully and without a language barrier (since we eliminated that with the explicit instruction of "answer YES with DA, and NO with JA")

So if Q1 ("Is A TRUE?") answer was YES (we'll get to the NO answer in a bit), then it means person A is TRUE, that leaves us with B and C being either FALSE or RANDOM

For that, here is my second question

Q2 (for any of the guys, in case Q1 answer was YES)
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is B FALSE?"

Notice that I'm using the same lie flipping logic as Q1 (i.e. we'll get a truthful answer no matter what, and we won't have a language barrier).

If the answer was 'da' which means yes (since I forced him to use da for yes), then A is TRUE, B is FALSE, and C is RANDOM
But if answered with no, then A is TRUE, B is RANDOM, and C is FALSE.

That solves the puzzle in 2 questions only.

However, if the answer to Q1 wasn't YES (i.e. it was NO), this means A is not TRUE, which leaves us with him being either FALSE or RANDOM

So my second question in that case (using the same logic as the first one) would be:

Q2 (for any of the guys) in case Q1 answer was NO
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is A FALSE?"

Notice that this question is also using the same logic as Q1 (i.e. we'll get a truthful answer no matter what, and we won't have a language barrier since I forced him to use da for yes).

From this, if the answer was yes, then A is FALSE, which leaves us with B and C as either TRUE or RANDOM. But if he answered NO, then A can only be RANDOM in this case (cause from Q1 we found out that A is not TRUE, and form Q2 we found out that he's not FALSE either).

For that my third question would be:

Q3 (for any of the guys) in case Q1 answer was NO
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is B TRUE?"

This answer along with Q2 & Q1 answers will give us the full picture.

Here are the 4 possible answers along with their meanings:
(1)
Q1 answer = NO, Q2 answer= NO, Q3 answer = YES
This means, A is RANDOM, B is TRUE and C is FALSE

(2)
Q1 answer = NO, Q2 answer= NO, Q3 answer = NO
This means A is RANDOM, B is FALSE, and C is TRUE

(3)
Q1 answer = NO, Q2 answer= YES, Q3 answer = YES
This means A is FALSE, B is TRUE, and C is RANDOM

(4)
Q1 answer = NO, Q2 answer= YES, Q3 answer = NO
This means A is FALSE, B is RANDOM, and C is TRUE

fathertroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 fathertroy
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts

This logic puzzle took me a whole day to solve, I used a lot of Boolean logic skills I picked up throughout my years of software development just to solve it.  It's without a doubt the hardest logic puzzle I have ever encountered.

I'd ask my 3 questions to any of the guys (regardless), because the way I'm gonna formulate my question should allow me to extract the truth out of any of them without having to deal with the language barrier.

Q1 (for any of the guys)
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is A TRUE?"

The first part of this question "Answer yes with da and no with ja" forces the person to use da for yes and ja for no (regardless of what they mean in his language).

So from the first part of the question, I already eliminated the language barrier.

The second part of the question is "what would a truthful person say about what you're going to say" forces him (even if he lies) to flip his lie to truth.

And the good thing about this logic is that if he's truthful, no truth flipping will occur. (I know it's a bit complicated but try it out for yourself with examples if you want).

Now that we know we'll get correct answers no matter what. And we don't have a language barrier, the first question above would be answered with either yes or no.

If yes, then it means person A is TRUE, that leaves us with B and C being either TRUE or RANDOM

Q2 (for any of the guys) in case Q1 answer was YES
Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is B FALSE?"

Notice that I'm using the same logic as Q1 (i.e. we'll get a truthful answer no matter what, and we won't have a language barrier).

If the answer was 'da' which means yes (since I forced him to use da for yes), then A is TRUE, B is FALSE, and C is RANDOM

However, if the answer to Q1 wasn't YES (i.e. it was NO), this means the first is not TRUE, which leaves us with him being either FALSE or RANDOM

So my second question in that case (using the same logic as the first one) would be:

Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is A FALSE?"

Notice that this question is also using the same logic as Q1 (i.e. we'll get a truthful answer no matter what, and we won't have a language barrier since I forced him to use da for yes).

From this, if the answer was yes, then A is FALSE, which leaves us with B and C as either TRUE or RANDOM. But if he answered NO, then A can only be RANDOM in this case (cause from Q1 we found out that A is not TRUE, and form Q2 we found out that he's not FALSE either).

For that my third question would be

Answer yes with da and no with ja then tell me what would a truthful person (that knows whether or not you're going to tell the truth) say if I asked him to tell me what would your answer be to the following question? "is B TRUE?"

We have these 4 answer possibilities along with what they mean:
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

Hussein

I got confused halfway

Hussein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hussein
[QUOTE="Hussein"]

I'd ask my 3 questions to any of the guys (regardless), because the way I'm gonna formulate my question should allow me to extract the truth out of any of them without having to deal with the language barrier.

Q1 (for any of the guys)

And the good thing about this logic is that if he's truthful, no truth flipping will occur. (I know it's a bit complicated but try it out for yourself with examples if you want).

Now that we know we'll get correct answers no matter what. And we don't have a language barrier, the first question above would be answered with either yes or no.

If yes, then it means person A is TRUE, that leaves us with B and C being either TRUE or RANDOM

Q2 (for any of the guys) in case Q1 answer was YES

Notice that I'm using the same logic as Q1 (i.e. we'll get a truthful answer no matter what, and we won't have a language barrier).

However, if the answer to Q1 wasn't YES (i.e. it was NO), this means the first is not TRUE, which leaves us with him being either FALSE or RANDOM

For that my third question would be

We have these 4 answer possibilities along with what they mean:
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

fathertroy

I got confused halfway

lol :P, don't worry man, I most probably wouldn't have solved it myself (or even understood a solution if it's written right in front of me) if I wasn't doing software development (lots of complicated logic) my whole life.

OluDara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 OluDara
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts
And then I woke up.
blackleech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 blackleech
Member since 2004 • 15348 Posts
Hussein
If you are allowed to give explicit instructions to them that they will follow - you are correct... but I doubt that is the case.
Hussein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hussein

[QUOTE="Hussein"]blackleech
If you are allowed to give explicit instructions to them that they will follow - you are correct... but I doubt that is the case.

the condition is; the outcome should always be either yes or no in their language, i.e. the outcome should only be 'da' or 'ja'

It's like me asking you, assume yes means no, and no means yes, and tell me if your tag name in GS is "blackleech"?

sthadji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 sthadji
Member since 2004 • 4682 Posts
What if I don't want to find out their identities? A little mystery is always fun. :P
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mystery_Writer

BTW, it's called Labyrinth puzzle and here is a geeky joke about it

Hussein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hussein

Here is an example that explains the concept of flipping the lie to truth.

If you ask A "are you a lair?"

Now, if we ask B to tell us (from his perspective) what would A answer be to the question of "are you a lair?"
B knows that A would answer it with "NO", so B's answer would be "NO" (similar to A's answer).

Now if we ask A about what B's gonna say about A's answer (I know complicated), then we actually gonna get the truth out of A.
Reason for that is, A will know that B will answer with "NO", so, he'll flip it to "YES".
Which in this case our original question of "Are you a lair?" would be answered by the lair as "YES"

still_thinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 still_thinking
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I point a gun at them and ask if they want to die.forgot_it

BAM! they said 'da'. I assumed that meant Yes!

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
I feel like my head is about to explode from attempting to read that...
soultron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soultron
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
Ask two "Are you a man," and then use the last question to determine which one of the two is the random.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Something that has been bothering me about this:

What happens if you ask one of them a yes / no question that they don't know the answer to?

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Hussein

You don't get to specifiy how they answer. You only get to ask questions, not give instructions. 

Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts

Here is an example that explains the concept of flipping the lie to truth.

If you ask A "are you a lair?"

Now, if we ask B to tell us (from his perspective) what would A answer be to the question of "are you a lair?"

Now if we ask A about what B's gonna say about A's answer (I know complicated), then we actually gonna get the truth out of A.
Reason for that is, A will know that B will answer with "NO", so, he'll flip it to "YES".
Which in this case our original question of "Are you a lair?" would be answered by the lair as "YES"

Hussein

Wasnt that on an episode of smauri jack 

rustytush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rustytush
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts

LMFAO!!!!!!! thats a good one dude:lol:

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
I think I have the solution, but I'm not sure how the spoiler tag works.