Hanging out with work friends outside of work.

a-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 a-man
Member since 2022 • 15 Posts

Yay or nay?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Usually Nay on weekends and Monday-Thursday. I'd rather go home and rest. Don't want to think of anything work-related.

The only time I go out with my work friends is on a Friday or special event.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I have a fellow worker that wants to show me her bunnies. I'm starting to think I have no choice. She brings me coffee. So I feel indebted.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm not against it. However, I don't have any work friends or even people I'm moderately close with so I haven't met anyone outside our workplace.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

Used to just for going out to movies back in in 2015 and after 2017, not anymore. Most left from where I work and 2 people I know had more kids, they barely had time to hang out. Works for me as I'm kinda the layback type of guy.

But however, I rarely do play few of my friends online gaming if that counts. (Not all the time but rarely whenever its a MP game we can all play)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

I have a fellow worker that wants to show me her bunnies. I'm starting to think I have no choice. She brings me coffee. So I feel indebted.

Nice.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Most of my friends I know from work, but t hat's because my job is awesome and attracts a lot of neat people.

To me the job doesn't really matter as I generally avoid the topic in our conversations to the point of changing the subject to an obvious extent.

Coworker is like "Wow today at work..." and I'm like "SO HOW BOUT THAT SPORTSBALL EH?! PRETTY GOOD GAME TIME, MUCH POINTS, SO COMPETITIVE! HAHAHAHHAHA"

@DEVILinIRON said:

I think she likes you.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

Nice.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DEVILinIRON

@mrbojangles25 said:

Most of my friends I know from work, but t hat's because my job is awesome and attracts a lot of neat people.

To me the job doesn't really matter as I generally avoid the topic in our conversations to the point of changing the subject to an obvious extent.

Coworker is like "Wow today at work..." and I'm like "SO HOW BOUT THAT SPORTSBALL EH?! PRETTY GOOD GAME TIME, MUCH POINTS, SO COMPETITIVE! HAHAHAHHAHA"

@DEVILinIRON said:

I think she likes you.

Hmm... Yeah. I'm trying to walk the line of professionalism this time. Too many problems with love in the workplace, in the past. She's a valuable worker and I'd hate to have some kind of rift between us after a soured relationship. We are a close crew, only a few of us working together.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

Easter is still a couple months away. She must go all-out for Easter if she wants to show you her bunnies already.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@DEVILinIRON said:

I think she likes you.

Hmm... Yeah. I'm trying to walk the line of professionalism this time. Too many problems with love in the workplace, in the past. She's a valuable worker and I'd hate to have some kind of rift between us after a soured relationship. We are a close crew, only a few of us working together.

Yeah best to not shit where you eat, as the saying goes.

Plenty of fish out there, you don't need to trawl the waters at your job unless you're desperate.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I try not to. Nothing against them I just like to keep work and personal life separate. It helps that I have pretty much nothing in common with anyone I work with.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Nah, not really. Not against it, however. I simply have plenty friends outside work, and when I'm working I'm focused on what I'm doing.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Sure! Pretty much all of my friends in my current area are from work/previous jobs. I like to keep in touch, so we go out for a beer whenever we can, or play something online.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I have a few close work friends that I hang out with once in a while, maybe once every month.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

when i started work out of college we'd hang out after work all the time. as we got older and people left and life started getting in the way, it happened a lot less.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58925 Posts

It's a good idea to keep a distance, especially from women.

Every work place been at, they basically turn into Roman Senators trying to take each other out. Smiles and daggers.

Etirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Etirus
Member since 2021 • 277 Posts

not having the emotional baggage that comes along with having friends, I can comfortably say that I've lived life for 7 years now without a single person to talk to outside cashiers. If I want to speak to another living person, I simply go onto the internet. Otherwise, people are vastly over rated and the idea that we're a social species doesn't jive with me.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'm generally a no on this topic. Work friends in my experience are friendly, but not actual friends. The way to know if people you work with are actually your friends is whether or not they make an effort to stay in contact with you after you leave for another job.

Now that's still a two-way street and you have to make an effort as well, but generally speaking people haven't stayed in touch after they leave, or after I leave. Like 98% of the time I never hear from people again even if I contact them afterwards, and it's something I have had to learn to be okay with.

Furthermore, I watched as my wife had to learn this lesson in her last job. She got sick and had to quit due to illness. Before she got sick, however, she had really bought into the idea that the people she worked with were truly her friends and nothing I could do or say would change that notion. After she got sick though, and nobody from her work ever reached out to her to see if she was doing okay, it became apparent to her that she wasn't truly friends with the people she worked with, despite being told that they were like a family (big red flag by the way, most people know this, but in case you don't) and being friendly to her on a daily basis. It really hurt her emotionally on top of already being sick. She learned this lesson, perhaps, the hardest way I've ever seen anyone learn it, and it really sucked.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

They must be the best. The best for me: working person, high, strong.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

You never know til you try. Some might be horrible sloppy drunks. I have a few I trust around my family. Trial and error really. The weirdos you just don’t invite back.

Few examples;

In my early 20s we took the younger brother of our store manager out for beers. On a patio bar after like two drinks climbed the brick wall of the patio and pulled his pants down then fell over into the shrubs.

Another one same place

New cashier started. This means every guy in the store goes up to offer help. I ignored her. We all went out for beers ran into the new girl. All my coworkers hugged said hello gets to me “you’re an ahole you snob!”

I shrug and ask what am I supposed to be all over you like everyone else ? She started shoving me and my coworkers left laughing as she backed me up to the wall. Calling me a snob etc.

Next thing I know I’m being molested by her and having my tonsils inspected by her tongue. My coworker friends come back and all basically wtf?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DEVILinIRON
@Skarwolf said:

Another one same place

New cashier started. This means every guy in the store goes up to offer help. I ignored her. We all went out for beers ran into the new girl. All my coworkers hugged said hello gets to me “you’re an ahole you snob!”

I shrug and ask what am I supposed to be all over you like everyone else ? She started shoving me and my coworkers left laughing as she backed me up to the wall. Calling me a snob etc.

Next thing I know I’m being molested by her and having my tonsils inspected by her tongue. My coworker friends come back and all basically wtf?

Niiiiice! The Han Solo maneuver.