Guys whats your opinion on Supergirl T.V series?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

My favourite T.V show after GOT, much better than Supergirl film of the 80's.It got Superman to Cyborg Superman even. Currently watching Episode 4 of Season 3.

Well?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59228 Posts

I like looking at her, she's extremely attractive.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 indzman

@uninspiredcup said:

I like looking at her, she's extremely attractive.

She's a True Supergirl. Her mom is Helen Slater ( Superwoman from the 80's movie ) in the T.V series :)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I was looking forward to it, but personally it's my least favorite of the DC universe shows. For me it goes Flash > Arrow > Legends > Supergirl. At the same time, I'm not necessarily the target audience for it. My biggest issue with it is the same problem I had with Smallville where they aren't coming up with interesting ways to deal with having a nearly indestructible and super-powered main character, so instead they put kryptonite (the rarest mineral on the planet) in pretty much every episode and they use it as a universal plot hole sealant macguffin by making it capable of doing pretty much anything.

Legends does something similar with "time" science fiction, but for the most part I find the characters on that show more interesting/entertaining.

Arrow is a bit more grounded than both of those, but it takes itself waaaay more seriously than the level of the script writing deserves. Example: "Oliver Queen: I don't think that bolt of lighting struck you, Barry. I think it chose you." There's one of these "_________ didn't _______ you/me, _________ _________ed you/me" type utterly predictable lines that are intended to sound deep/inspirational in the 3rd act of nearly every single episode (crap like "you think I saved you, but you really saved me".

Flash takes itself far less seriously than any of these other shows and the actors/characters are just fun. Also there's more wit and humor in the dialog. I would love to get my wife into The Flash, but I feel like she needs the context of Arrow at least, plus Legends and Supergirl to really be caught up. They aren't bad shows, but that's a whole lot of hours of some intensely mediocre TV and our free time is limited so why do that when there are so many much better shows out there?

-Byshop

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 indzman

@Byshop said:

I was looking forward to it, but personally it's my least favorite of the DC universe shows. For me it goes Flash > Arrow > Legends > Supergirl. At the same time, I'm not necessarily the target audience for it. My biggest issue with it is the same problem I had with Smallville where they aren't coming up with interesting ways to deal with having a nearly indestructible and super-powered main character, so instead they put kryptonite (the rarest mineral on the planet) in pretty much every episode and they use it as a universal plot hole sealant macguffin by making it capable of doing pretty much anything.

Legends does something similar with "time" science fiction, but for the most part I find the characters on that show more interesting/entertaining.

Arrow is a bit more grounded than both of those, but it takes itself waaaay more seriously than the level of the script writing deserves. Example: "Oliver Queen: I don't think that bolt of lighting struck you, Barry. I think it chose you." There's one of these "_________ didn't _______ you/me, _________ _________ed you/me" type utterly predictable lines that are intended to sound deep/inspirational in the 3rd act of nearly every single episode (crap like "you think I saved you, but you really saved me".

Flash takes itself far less seriously than any of these other shows and the actors/characters are just fun. Also there's more wit and humor in the dialog. I would love to get my wife into The Flash, but I feel like she needs the context of Arrow at least, plus Legends and Supergirl to really be caught up. They aren't bad shows, but that's a whole lot of hours of some intensely mediocre TV and our free time is limited so why do that when there are so many much better shows out there?

-Byshop

I've some seasons of Flash and the Arrow. Should i start with FLASH as it fits into Supergirls Arc? Yet to get Legends :)

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I watch all four and agree with @Byshop. The Flash is my all time favourite Comic Book character since I was a kid. Arrow is a little too serious at times, with Legends being a bit silly. Find Flash has the better balance and better characters. Cisco is just the balls. Incidentally I met most of the cast of all shows a couple years ago in Birmingham (UK) and they're all very gracious, particularly Sean Pertwee.

My preference goes Flash > Arrow > then Supergirl and Legends swap places.

Incidentally, what do you think of Gotham? I watched the first one and half seasons but got a little bored. Trailers for the latest season look interesting though so may catch up.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

It's okay. DC shows go Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and Legends......unless you include Gotham. That goes before Supergirl. Legends is the weakest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Byshop: Pretty much everything you said but I'd probably say Flash > Arrow > Supergirl > Legends.

Supergirl improved a lot halfway through the first season....the first episode, almost every other thing that came out of her mouth was something about her being a woman...was so annoying...but even though it got better I've always despised Superman...you f'ed up when you created an all-powerful superhero so adding a glowing rock to the mix won't save you. Supergirl suffers from the same problem, although in a smaller scale insofar that a lot of her enemies still kick her butt when she goes at it 1 on 1.

Legends started strong but became a bit meh...don't care about the fate of any of the characters, since I find them all unlikable...it's the new trend of "everyone needs to be morally grey" which makes them all, well, grey and bland and hard to tell apart...so no matter how great ta show could be, it's hard to be so with uninteresting characters.

Arrow is way too serious, which is why I'm a Marvel guy...superheroes is, for most part, a ridiculous concept and Marvel treats them as such...DC just piles on the drama that always falls flat to me. Arrow does this AND adds a bunch of fillers on top of it...great show, interesting characters, but they brood too much...

Flash is a bit more Marvel, I feel...hey, I'm fast and wear a ridiculous costume...my sidekicks are mental and together we come up with weird villain names and every Tuesday we F up the space-time continuum. Sure, I'm sold... :p

I'm way behind on all of the DC shows...sometimes I get so tired of one of them I just drop it until I get to a crossover episode in another show and I go "Fine, I'll go back and catch up..."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic  Online

@korvus: Flash is not Marvel like at all. It's Flash like.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Wanted to love it, watched most of the first season, but it was WAY too preachy for me. Haven't watched since. I'm just tired of politics (from all sides) getting so infused with entertainment. It's hard to find a way to just get away from constant political talk, it's in movies, tv, games, sports. Makes me sick.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Below average. I watched the first season with my wife. She asked me to stop watching it because she thought it was too corny. I somewhat enjoyed it, but it was so overly emotional I could barely take it serious.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

@korvus: Definitely improved after a mixed start. I enjoy watching it, it's something that's just on where you don't have to pay too much attention to (ala TWD & GoT).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58444 Posts

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Perfect summary, I feel the exact same way.

Flash is almost perfect. I would even go so far as to say I was disappointed they didn't cast the same actor in the new movie coming out soon, but I get it. The only issue is that every main villain is a speedster. I mean, it's still interesting, but when your main antagonist is a speedster, it's like "Barry you need to get faster." and "Barry trust the speedforce" and "Barry the speedforce police are after you". I heard they are addressing this in the new season, though. And I love the cast of characters, both friends and enemies; it's like watching a catalog of all the DC characters every episode. Hey, captain cold! Mirror master! Gypsy! I know them! And the women, oh man, I Love the women in the show; Caitlin and Iris are just great. And the foster-father relationship with Joe is heartwarming (and heartwrenching at times).

And yeah I know how you feel about not being the "target audience"; I'm watching Supergirl and it has all this angst drama and I just feel those aren't serious personal problems lol. One thing Supergirl had for it was a phenomenal supporting cast, both as acting and as characters; I thought her sister was a neat character and relationship (and smoking hot, OMFG love it) even though they overplayed her sex life issues, and her core group of friends were neat. Sometimes I watch it and they start getting into girly stuff, or love interests, and I can't help but ask myself why I am still watching it lol. Same with Arrow.

Arrow I flip-flop on....a lot. Sometimes I really like it because it has at its core a good plot, but as you said the acting and tone can get out of hand. Some days Arrow is my favorite, some days I can barely stand to watch it. Again, love the women on the show, especially Felicity and Sara Lance (and the detective father). Giggle is also great to watch as the friend/tough love father figure at times, and they cast Slade/Deathstroke perfectly imo with Manu Bennett, arguably the best portrayed/cast villain in all of the series.

Yeah, Flash>Arrow>Supergirl=Legends

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@goodzorr said:

I watch all four and agree with @Byshop. The Flash is my all time favourite Comic Book character since I was a kid. Arrow is a little too serious at times, with Legends being a bit silly. Find Flash has the better balance and better characters. Cisco is just the balls. Incidentally I met most of the cast of all shows a couple years ago in Birmingham (UK) and they're all very gracious, particularly Sean Pertwee.

My preference goes Flash > Arrow > then Supergirl and Legends swap places.

Incidentally, what do you think of Gotham? I watched the first one and half seasons but got a little bored. Trailers for the latest season look interesting though so may catch up.

I wouldn't even mind Arrow being so serious if the writing were up to the task. Also, it cracks me up that they made a plan from the beginning to keep Arrow grounded in reality and stay away from the most fantastic elements of the comics (like Nolan's Batman movies), but when the ratings were weak in the first season they did a 180 on that one so fast it probably left the writers with whiplash. I'm not criticizing them for the decision, I just think it's amusing.

Gotham is... hmmmm. How to put this. I don't know that I have the language skills to describe how weird Gotham is to me. It's not good by any means. I like Donal Logue as Bullock, but serious missed opportunity by casting him in that role now that he's not fat anymore. It started off kind of grounded but got annoying with the many, many retcons to try to draw connections to young Bruce to all of these characters way before there would be any earthly reason for it. At first I thought it was fun except for Bruce who could have been left out entirely, but as the show went on it just keeps getting more and more over-the-top to the point of utter ridiculousness. Penguin is awesome, and Nigma is pretty fun, but it's going the SmallVille route of "monster of the week" but with slightly more drawn out storylines. I couldn't take any more Jarvis Tetch and I quit last season.

@korvus said:

@Byshop: Pretty much everything you said but I'd probably say Flash > Arrow > Supergirl > Legends.

Supergirl improved a lot halfway through the first season....the first episode, almost every other thing that came out of her mouth was something about her being a woman...was so annoying...but even though it got better I've always despised Superman...you f'ed up when you created an all-powerful superhero so adding a glowing rock to the mix won't save you. Supergirl suffers from the same problem, although in a smaller scale insofar that a lot of her enemies still kick her butt when she goes at it 1 on 1.

Legends started strong but became a bit meh...don't care about the fate of any of the characters, since I find them all unlikable...it's the new trend of "everyone needs to be morally grey" which makes them all, well, grey and bland and hard to tell apart...so no matter how great ta show could be, it's hard to be so with uninteresting characters.

Arrow is way too serious, which is why I'm a Marvel guy...superheroes is, for most part, a ridiculous concept and Marvel treats them as such...DC just piles on the drama that always falls flat to me. Arrow does this AND adds a bunch of fillers on top of it...great show, interesting characters, but they brood too much...

Flash is a bit more Marvel, I feel...hey, I'm fast and wear a ridiculous costume...my sidekicks are mental and together we come up with weird villain names and every Tuesday we F up the space-time continuum. Sure, I'm sold... :p

I'm way behind on all of the DC shows...sometimes I get so tired of one of them I just drop it until I get to a crossover episode in another show and I go "Fine, I'll go back and catch up..."

Hawk Girl and Hawk Man were not terribly interesting characters and I wasn't sad to see them replaced.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Perfect summary, I feel the exact same way.

Flash is almost perfect. I would even go so far as to say I was disappointed they didn't cast the same actor in the new movie coming out soon, but I get it. The only issue is that every main villain is a speedster. I mean, it's still interesting, but when your main antagonist is a speedster, it's like "Barry you need to get faster." and "Barry trust the speedforce" and "Barry the speedforce police are after you". I heard they are addressing this in the new season, though. And I love the cast of characters, both friends and enemies; it's like watching a catalog of all the DC characters every episode. Hey, captain cold! Mirror master! Gypsy! I know them! And the women, oh man, I Love the women in the show; Caitlin and Iris are just great. And the foster-father relationship with Joe is heartwarming (and heartwrenching at times).

And yeah I know how you feel about not being the "target audience"; I'm watching Supergirl and it has all this angst drama and I just feel those aren't serious personal problems lol. One thing Supergirl had for it was a phenomenal supporting cast, both as acting and as characters; I thought her sister was a neat character and relationship (and smoking hot, OMFG love it) even though they overplayed her sex life issues, and her core group of friends were neat. Sometimes I watch it and they start getting into girly stuff, or love interests, and I can't help but ask myself why I am still watching it lol. Same with Arrow.

Arrow I flip-flop on....a lot. Sometimes I really like it because it has at its core a good plot, but as you said the acting and tone can get out of hand. Some days Arrow is my favorite, some days I can barely stand to watch it. Again, love the women on the show, especially Felicity and Sara Lance (and the detective father). Giggle is also great to watch as the friend/tough love father figure at times, and they cast Slade/Deathstroke perfectly imo with Manu Bennett, arguably the best portrayed/cast villain in all of the series.

Yeah, Flash>Arrow>Supergirl=Legends

LOL about The Flash. Yeah, since introducing the concept of the speedforce they keep going back to that well over and over. But yeah, on Supergirl being a nearly 41 year old married working professional father of two Kara's problems aren't super relatable to me much in the same way I've been over the "High School Student Anime Sitcom/Drama" genre of anime for a very, very long time. The show is not without merit for me. The stuff with the sister was pretty well done and remarkably grounded for a show where the bad guy every other episode is a space alien. Suave handsome Jimmy Olsen was a bit much, but suave, handsome Jimmy Olsen as Guardian is getting into Nutter Butter territory.

I'm not saying the show is bad. I had a buddy whose young nieces love it. Nor am I saying "RAR!!! TOO MANY GURLZ!!!!". I'd love a version of Birds of Prey (for instance) that didn't roundly suck. I'm just saying that the drama doesn't specifically appeal to me. I would be okay with the drama if they didn't keep using Kyptonite as the explanation for everything. It's not as bad as Smallville was but it's in the ballpark. If they are going to do a show about a Supergirl/man-esque super hero who can solve most problems by punching something or lifting something, instead of creating a conflict in the episode by taking away their ability to punch and lift things over and over, how about writing more problems that can't be solved by punching/lifting things? They do this a lot with the character of Kara, but when it comes to the Supergirl parts it's just stronger and stronger foes over and over or more and more Kryptonite.

I see a lot of people putting Legends last, and I totally get that. For me, Legends has at least a bit of "low rent Doctor Who" charm to it as it is straight up full on sci-fi which is the only reason I put it higher on the list. I would probably say that Supergirl is the better show between the two as Legends is nowhere even remotely grounded.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

I haven't watched any episodes but it looks embarrassing in the special way that only a CBS superhero tv show could be.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic  Online

@stormcast said:

I haven't watched any episodes but it looks embarrassing in the special way that only a CBS superhero tv show could be.

It's on the CW for the last two...........

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@stormcast said:

It's on the CW for the last two...........

I'm sorry, I haven't been keeping up to date on where to watch it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 indzman

@stormcast said:

You are a embarrasment. Got shitty Taste all over :P

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Love it, especially crossover with Flash...she & Flash get along so well. :) ..my order Flash > Supergirl > Arrow > okay Legends crap. :P

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I love it. This season was off to a weak start, but last week's episode was awesome, hope it keeps up.

I don't think it beats Arrow seasons 1+2, but those were downright amazing. That show has never gotten back to that level, IMO. I haven't hated seasons 3-5 as much as a lot of other people, but I don't think they're as good as Supergirl.

Same with Flash. Again, didn't hate season 3 (I actually guessed Savitar's identity the first time he fought Flash), but seasons 1+2 were great. I'd actually put Supergirl on par with Flash, overall, maybe a little below it due to the villains not being as good as Zoom and Reverse Flash.

I actually really like Legends. It's goofy, out there, comic nerd-service. That means it's hard to compare to Supergirl. It's not going to have the storytelling or emotional resonance of Supergirl, but it's just as fun in its own way. The only problem I really have with the show, aside from the whole "I'm just a barista" thing, is that it's gotten too self-aware this season. At least ten times an episode now someone says "who cares what we're supposed to do, we're rebels!" They've gone from trying to save the universe from time disturbances to almost gleefully causing time disturbances. Still, fun show. Not as good as Supergirl, but I don't want to have to choose.

If they ever make another CW show they should just go from Season 2 to Season 4. Don't make another season 3. Just don't.