• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Who else owns firearms? How do you feel about bump stocks or automatic weapons? I don't have anything automatic...but I could lay waste to a block with semi fire. Just curious who here owns firearms, to go along with our gaming habits.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

" but I could lay waste to a block with semi fire"

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@davillain- and @bmanva owns nifty collection of automatics/shotguns if i recall correctly lol.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I got one. An older type. In with the gun powder first then the bullet.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Not a gun owner, but I do appreciate firearms and had a good friend I went to the range with a few times a month growing up.

I'm also a left-leaning moderate, it's important that people realize there are moderate and liberal gun owners out there, and more of them than they realize; gun owner =/= gun nut. Having more than one firearm =/= gun nut.

I often think about buying a gun, but I talk myself out of it because A.) Californian and this state makes it hard, B.) cost of entry and also cost of ammo, and C.) I probably would not go shooting that often. I really want to make a larger-caliber AR build, like a .308 or something, go boar/wild pig hunting. They're a real problem up here...and tasty.

@demi0227_basic said:

I could lay waste to a block with semi fire.

Just curious who here owns firearms, to go along with our gaming habits.

Not really a good way to start the conversation.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I had a soft air gun before I grew up.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I own bunch of stuff, from ww2 era rifles to NFA items like SBRs and suppressors. While I don't personally own any bumpfire or slidefire devices and think they are rather useless in practical terms, I don't agree that legislation to restrict and ban those devices will have any effect in terms of reducing gun violence in any measurable means. What I'm hoping is they can negotiate an exchange in congress; pass ban on bumpfire stocks in turn for universal reciprocity law or removing suppressors from NFA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

Who else owns firearms? How do you feel about bump stocks or automatic weapons? I don't have anything automatic...but I could lay waste to a block with semi fire. Just curious who here owns firearms, to go along with our gaming habits.

Is this was satire, well done. Could have used a statement that your penis is also large, though.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@korvus said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Is this was satire, well done. Could have used a statement that your penis is also large, though.

My dick is so big...it's absurd. Better?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@demi0227_basic: Much. Thank you :D

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I wouldn't mind having a WWII-era bolt action rifle for target shooting, but I have neither the space nor money to invest in that kind of hobby.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bmanva

The thing I see most news outlets failing to grasp is that bump fire isn't something that ONLY a bumpfire/slidefire stock equipped gun is capable of doing. Here's someone bumpfiring a pistol without any additional device:

Loading Video...

And the concept is so simple that you can make one out of things you buy from home depot:

Loading Video...

That's why I stated that any type of ban on commercial sales of these devices isn't going to have desired effect on future mass shooting or gun violence in general.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Man, I'll never understand the obsession Americans have for guns (well, a lot of Americans - not all). From the outside looking in, it's very foreign to me.

I'm just glad I don't live in a country where guns are so prevalent amongst the general population.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bmanva

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Man, I'll never understand the obsession Americans have for guns (well, a lot of Americans - not all). From the outside looking in, it's very foreign to me.

I'm just glad I don't live in a country where guns are so prevalent amongst the general population.

And I'm glad I don't live in a country where unemployment rate is nearly 20%.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01

@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Not sure which country you're referring to but ok.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

WTF?! lol

I have a sword. It's almost as tall as I am.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think hes referring to America? I dont know. I imagine America's unemployment is like 15% when you remove all the adjustments politicians do to make the numbers look better. And of course our underemployment is actually a bigger issue that affects almost half of the work force. But.... yay guns!

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bmanva

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

For some reason I thought you are in Spain. My bad.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bmanva

@kod said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think hes referring to America? I dont know. I imagine America's unemployment is like 15% when you remove all the adjustments politicians do to make the numbers look better. And of course our underemployment is actually a bigger issue that affects almost half of the work force. But.... yay guns!

Because only in America do politicians pad the unemployment figures so it looks good, because America is terrible; no one ever want to go there and we never ever did anything for the rest of the world.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01

@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:
@kod said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Because only in America do politicians pad the unemployment figures so it looks good, because America is terrible; no one ever want to go there and we never ever did anything for the rest of the world.

At the end of the day, nobody is talking about unemployment figures... and of course no country is perfect. There are MANY things that I dislike about m country and government.

I'm not attacking America as a whole. America is the greatest country in the world in many ways... But definitely not in protecting its population from the threats of gun violence.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KOD

@bmanva said:

No matter who does it its lazy and dishonest, but why would i care if the rest of the world does it? Im not in Japan trying to address Japanese problems, im in America trying to address american problems.

BTW, i would actually be willing to bet that among first world nations this is an almost unique American problem as the other countries have far superior safety nets so there is no reason to continuously create false measurements to lie to the public. Lets not forget that this situation basically comes from corporations owning the US government and not every government is bought by Exxon.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bmanva

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@bmanva said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:
@kod said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

At the end of the day, nobody is talking about unemployment figures... and of course no country is perfect. There are MANY things that I dislike about m country and government.

I'm not attacking America as a whole. America is the greatest country in the world in many ways... But definitely not in protecting its population from the threats of gun violence.

But again the original debate is whether American gun culture is a product of our liberal gun laws and I'm saying it's not but rather the other way around. You can't fix the problem by tackling the effects. How is restricting individual access to self defense "protecting [our] population"? Many of our cities like DC, Trenton, Baltimore, Chicago have tough gun laws that all but ban guns, but they all have some of the worst crime rate in the US. Like I was saying in the previous post, the cause of the problem of violence isn't gun law. It's deeper and broader than that. But because the lack of comprehensive and fast solution and addressing those issues is a long term slog and politically controversial, politicians choose instead to blame it on guns, on immigration, on violent media, all the things they can pass a bill on and declare victory.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KOD

@bmanva said:

Many of our cities like DC, Trenton, Baltimore, Chicago have tough gun laws that all but ban guns, but they all have some of the worst crime rate in the US.

You guys have got to stop repeating this, i don't know why you're not applying any degree of critical thinking here, or if you have and you just dont mind lying. But Chicago (which btw, its 1 area in 1 of 13 counties that make up the greater metro area), DC, Baltimore, none have banned guns, simply super restrictive laws in certain areas. And what good does this do when someone can hop in their car, drive five minutes, and face some of the least restrictive gun laws in the world?

What good are restrictive gun laws in one area when you can drive 5 minutes north, east, south or west of that location and have the loosest gun laws in any first world nation? WTF is stopping a gang banger in Chicago from saying "hey tom, you dont have any felonies, wanna drive five minutes in any direction and buy a bunch of guns? i know youre poor too so ill give you a grand to do it!"................ What world are you living in where you don't recognize that this is exactly the problem? eeerrrrr.... one of the problems. We could make the argument that poverty is the number one issue but i know you're not going to support whats needed to fix that situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Real men use revolvers or single shots.

Semi automatics are for bitches who piss sitting down and wipe their vaginas back to front.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KOD

@Nuck81 said:

Real men use revolvers or single shots.

Semi automatics are for bitches who piss sitting down and wipe their vaginas back to front.

This is hilarious.

I grew up in a very conservative area and the old conservatives... this is probably very close to what they'd say.

They'd also wonder why people needed guns on them at all times. Zimmerman, their response would have been "You needed a gun to protect yourself from a 17 year old boy? What kind of man are you? Want a dress? Maybe you should stay in the kitchen instead of going outside if youre that scared"

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bmanva

@kod said:
@bmanva said:

Many of our cities like DC, Trenton, Baltimore, Chicago have tough gun laws that all but ban guns, but they all have some of the worst crime rate in the US.

You guys have got to stop repeating this, i don't know why you're not applying any degree of critical thinking here, or if you have and you just dont mind lying. But Chicago (which btw, its 1 area in 1 of 13 counties that make up the greater metro area), DC, Baltimore, none have banned guns, simply super restrictive laws in certain areas. And what good does this do when someone can hop in their car, drive five minutes, and face some of the least restrictive gun laws in the world?

What good are restrictive gun laws in one area when you can drive 5 minutes north, east, south or west of that location and have the loosest gun laws in any first world nation? WTF is stopping a gang banger in Chicago from saying "hey tom, you dont have any felonies, wanna drive five minutes in any direction and buy a bunch of guns? i know youre poor too so ill give you a grand to do it!"................ What world are you living in where you don't recognize that this is exactly the problem? eeerrrrr.... one of the problems. We could make the argument that poverty is the number one issue but i know you're not going to support whats needed to fix that situation.

Never stated anything about guns being banned in those localities. You do know that "all but ban" means they have not banned guns right? And Illinois, Maryland and New Jersey have some of the toughest gun law in the country (I believe those states are on the bottom 10 in "gun owner friendly states" list). So in other words, no, people there can't just drive 5 min and get their guns else where; not legally anyways, residents of one state can't legally get firearms to transfer to them in another state (they have to do it in a FFL inside their own state therefore subject to the state law on guns). If you are talking about illegal guns then that's not something gun control primarily affect, so that's irrelevant.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bmanva

Haters gonna hate.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KOD

@bmanva said:
@kod said:
@bmanva said:

Never stated anything about guns being banned in those localities. You do know that "all but ban" means they have not banned guns right? And Illinois, Maryland and New Jersey have some of the toughest gun law in the country (I believe those states are on the bottom 10 in "gun owner friendly states" list). So in other words, no, people there can't just drive 5 min and get their guns else where; not legally anyways, residents of one state can't legally get firearms to transfer to them in another state (they have to do it in a FFL inside their own state therefore subject to the state law on guns). If you are talking about illegal guns then that's not something gun control primarily affect, so that's irrelevant.

1. Semantic bullshit and you avoided the point.

2. Illinois has EXTREMELY relaxed gun laws. New Jersey is pretty strict, but we know they take a 10 minute ride to PA for their guns.... which is the point you seem to be missing or intentionally avoiding. Maryland is a mixed bag it seems. Guns and Ammo has it as the third worst, the NRA has it as average. If i had to guess the difference maker seems to be the sane versus reality thing. Maryland does not have any state constitution rights for gun ownership, but does not do anything that would be considered extreme by any sane persons standards. So when it comes to guns and ammo and its crowd of morons, thats a big no no. But to semi-sane NRA people, they seem to be willing to look at the situation as is.

3. "no, people there can't just drive 5 min and get their guns else where; not legally anyways, residents of one state can't legally get firearms to transfer to them in another state"

Okay... wow.... the bullshit and intentional avoidance of the point is astonishing.

A. You really seem to miss the point that your citation of places like Chicago and DC, are local. You don't need to go out of state to hit far more relaxed gun laws, simply another county.

B. The wonderful P2P/gun show loophole, makes state purchasing requirements irrelevant and after its bought, yes, you can 100% legally cross state lines with it.

You really have to stop this intentional avoiding of points made, it just makes you look worse. You know goddamn well when i said someone can drive five minutes in any direction from Chicago, i was not suggesting they could go out of state.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman

@bmanva said:

Haters gonna hate.

Its all good. Don't ever go crazy like that Paddock lol.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bmanva

@kod said:
@bmanva said:
@kod said:
@bmanva said:

1. Semantic bullshit and you avoided the point.

2. Illinois has EXTREMELY relaxed gun laws. New Jersey is pretty strict, but we know they take a 10 minute ride to PA for their guns.... which is the point you seem to be missing or intentionally avoiding. Maryland is a mixed bag it seems. Guns and Ammo has it as the third worst, the NRA has it as average. If i had to guess the difference maker seems to be the sane versus reality thing. Maryland does not have any state constitution rights for gun ownership, but does not do anything that would be considered extreme by any sane persons standards. So when it comes to guns and ammo and its crowd of morons, thats a big no no. But to semi-sane NRA people, they seem to be willing to look at the situation as is.

3. "no, people there can't just drive 5 min and get their guns else where; not legally anyways, residents of one state can't legally get firearms to transfer to them in another state"

Okay... wow.... the bullshit and intentional avoidance of the point is astonishing.

A. You really seem to miss the point that your citation of places like Chicago and DC, are local. You don't need to go out of state to hit far more relaxed gun laws, simply another county.

B. The wonderful P2P/gun show loophole, makes state purchasing requirements irrelevant and after its bought, yes, you can 100% legally cross state lines with it.

You really have to stop this intentional avoiding of points made, it just makes you look worse. You know goddamn well when i said someone can drive five minutes in any direction from Chicago, i was not suggesting they could go out of state.

Actually you're the one who intentionally misconstrued my point.

Illinois gun law is very strict. For example, http://gunlawscorecard.org/, an anti-gun site, gave Il b+ while http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2015/ ranked Il 43rd out of 50 for state friendly to gun owners. You're obviously ignorant of the actual law so let me educate you. It's actually very clear and unambiguous: if your state allows it, private sales (so called gun show loophole is actually the same thing) must be sold from in state resident to another resident of the same state. So again no, you can't drive to a gun show in another state, legally purchase a firearm via private party or FFL and cross back to your state. If you do, you are committing a federal felony. The ONLY legal way to buy gun from another state is to do it through FFLs in the state you're in. I sincerely hope no one listens to your "legal advice" because they are shit. https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/6/buying-and-selling-a-firearm-online-and-interstate-gun-sales/

Federal law for interstate gun sales and other transfers – those occurring between two people who are not Federal Firearm Licensees (FFLs) who live in different states — is pretty straightforward. A person who is not an FFL cannot acquire a handgun from anyone – an FFL or any other person – who lives in another state. A person (the “transferee”) acquiring a long gun must do so through a licensed dealer (FFL). It can be an FFL in any state, the transfer must comply with the laws of the FFL’s and the transferee’s states.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bmanva

@indzman said:
@bmanva said:

Haters gonna hate.

Its all good. Don't ever go crazy like that Paddock lol.

Loading Video...

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's surprisingly not that bad. The whole gun fear/epidemic in the USA is very exaggerated to be honest.

There's 200 million guns in the US and the population is over 300 million and yet the number of non gang/drug related shooting deaths is slightly under 5000 people a year (considering hundreds of millions of both guns and people, thats very low).

It's not even a top 50 cause of death in the USA. The way the media reports it, you would think there's hundreds of thousands of people that die a year.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

I own 2. Not automatic weapons though. In army i had but obviously wasnt mine.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 indzman

@AzatiS said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Hey there, good to see you around on OT man :)

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AzatiS

@indzman said:
@AzatiS said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Haha , hello bro :). First time here in ... 13 years !!!!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 indzman

@AzatiS said:
@indzman said:
@AzatiS said:
@demi0227_basic said:

Hope you post more on OT, this place seriously needs users like you tbh :)

BTW cool new cuphead avi, almost didn't recognise you lol.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AzatiS

@indzman said:
@AzatiS said:
@indzman said:
@AzatiS said:

Hope you post more on OT, this place seriously needs users like you tbh :)

BTW cool new cuphead avi, almost didn't recognise you lol.

Haha , thnx.

I was having a blast with Cuphead so i couldnt help it :)

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I live in commiefornia.

All the semi auto rifes are nerfed. It's gotta be featureless.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 indzman

@thegerg said:

@kod:

"GameSpot Forums Off-Topic Discussion

Browse Boards

Gun owners thread

Search the forums

Search

Reply to this topic Follow this topic

#1 Posted by demi0227_basic (1656 posts) - 22 hours, 37 minutes ago

ReplyFlag

#2 Posted by byof_america (1842 posts) - 22 hours, 4 minutes ago

" but I could lay waste to a block with semi fire"

No Caption Provided

ReplyFlag

#3 Edited by indzman (26129 posts) - 21 hours, 58 minutes ago

@davillain- and @bmanva owns nifty collection of automatics/shotguns if i recall correctly lol.

ReplyFlag

#4 Posted by Horgen (115656 posts) - 21 hours, 49 minutes ago

I got one. An older type. In with the gun powder first then the bullet.

#5 Edited by mrbojangles25 (38632 posts) - 20 hours, 40 minutes ago

Not a gun owner, but I do appreciate firearms and had a good friend I went to the range with a few times a month growing up.

I'm also a left-leaning moderate, it's important that people realize there are moderate and liberal gun owners out there, and more of them than they realize; gun owner =/= gun nut. Having more than one firearm =/= gun nut.

I often think about buying a gun, but I talk myself out of it because A.) Californian and this state makes it hard, B.) cost of entry and also cost of ammo, and C.) I probably would not go shooting that often. I really want to make a larger-caliber AR build, like a .308 or something, go boar/wild pig hunting. They're a real problem up here...and tasty.

@demi0227_basic said:

I could lay waste to a block with semi fire.

Just curious who here owns firearms, to go along with our gaming habits.

Not really a good way to start the conversation.

ReplyFlag

#6 Posted by Litchie (20089 posts) - 20 hours, 37 minutes ago

I had a soft air gun before I grew up.

ReplyFlag

#7 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 20 hours, 11 minutes ago

I own bunch of stuff, from ww2 era rifles to NFA items like SBRs and suppressors. While I don't personally own any bumpfire or slidefire devices and think they are rather useless in practical terms, I don't agree that legislation to restrict and ban those devices will have any effect in terms of reducing gun violence in any measurable means. What I'm hoping is they can negotiate an exchange in congress; pass ban on bumpfire stocks in turn for universal reciprocity law or removing suppressors from NFA.

ReplyFlag

#8 Posted by korvus (10559 posts) - 20 hours, 9 minutes ago

@demi0227_basic said:

ReplyFlag

#9 Edited by demi0227_basic (1656 posts) - 17 hours, 5 minutes ago

@korvus said:

@demi0227_basic said:

My dick is so big...it's absurd. Better?

ReplyFlag

#10 Edited by korvus (10559 posts) - 17 hours, 3 minutes ago

@demi0227_basic: Much. Thank you :D

ReplyFlag

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (96357 posts) - 16 hours, 45 minutes ago

I wouldn't mind having a WWII-era bolt action rifle for target shooting, but I have neither the space nor money to invest in that kind of hobby.

ReplyFlag

#12 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 15 hours, 44 minutes ago

The thing I see most news outlets failing to grasp is that bump fire isn't something that ONLY a bumpfire/slidefire stock equipped gun is capable of doing. Here's someone bumpfiring a pistol without any additional device:

And the concept is so simple that you can make one out of things you buy from home depot:

That's why I stated that any type of ban on commercial sales of these devices isn't going to have desired effect on future mass shooting or gun violence in general.

ReplyFlag

#13 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (13904 posts) - 15 hours, 28 minutes ago

ReplyFlag

#14 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 15 hours, 22 minutes ago

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#15 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (13904 posts) - 15 hours, 11 minutes ago

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#16 Posted by InEMplease (6965 posts) - 15 hours, 2 minutes ago

@demi0227_basic said:

WTF?! lol

I have a sword. It's almost as tall as I am.

ReplyFlag

#17 Edited by KOD (1762 posts) - 14 hours, 56 minutes ago

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#18 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 14 hours, 52 minutes ago

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#19 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 14 hours, 48 minutes ago

@kod said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#20 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (13904 posts) - 14 hours, 44 minutes ago

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@kod said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

ReplyFlag

#21 Edited by KOD (1762 posts) - 14 hours, 14 minutes ago

@bmanva said:

No matter who does it its lazy and dishonest, but why would i care if the rest of the world does it? Im not in Japan trying to address Japanese problems, im in America trying to address american problems.

BTW, i would actually be willing to bet that among first world nations this is an almost unique American problem as the other countries have far superior safety nets so there is no reason to continuously create false measurements to lie to the public. Lets not forget that this situation basically comes from corporations owning the US government and not every government is bought by Exxon.

ReplyFlag

#22 Posted by bmanva (4366 posts) - 14 hours, 9 minutes ago

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@bmanva said:

@kod said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

But again the original debate is whether American gun culture is a product of our liberal gun laws and I'm saying it's not but rather the other way around. You can't fix the problem by tackling the effects. How is restricting individual access to self defense "protecting [our] population"? Many of our cities like DC, Trenton, Baltimore, Chicago have tough gun laws that all but ban guns, but they all have some of the worst crime rate in the US. Like I was saying in the previous post, the cause of the problem of violence isn't gun law. It's deeper and broader than that. But because the lack of comprehensive and fast solution and addressing those issues is a long term slog and politically controversial, politicians choose instead to blame it on guns, on immigration, on violent media, all the things they can pass a bill on and declare victory.

ReplyFlag

#23 Edited by KOD (1762 posts) - 14 hours, 3 minutes ago

@bmanva said:

What good are restrictive gun laws in one area when you can drive 5 minutes north, east, south or west of that location and have the loosest gun laws in any first world nation? WTF is stopping a gang banger in Chicago from saying "hey tom, you dont have any felonies, wanna drive five minutes in any direction and buy a bunch of guns? i know youre poor too so ill give you a grand to do it!"................ What world are you living in where you don't recognize that this is exactly the problem?"

I don't think anyone is saying that illegal gun purchases (which is what you're describing here) aren't a problem.

What the Hell? I'm not reading any of this Pillar of text :I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman said:

Now if only you hadn't quoted it... :P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 indzman

@korvus said:
@indzman said:

Now if only you hadn't quoted it... :P

Shame on gerg :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

They aren't as prevalent here as the loud minority wants you to believe.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online

@LJS9502_basic said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Nope.

You'll travel through pockets of America where you might see things and be like "WTF?". You'll go through a small town and, yes, every single truck has a gun rack but it's just that town and it's a town of 200 people. And you might go to Oakland, CA and hear gunshots--a lot of gunshots--one day and you'll think "holy shit it must be like this every day" but then if you read the news it was actually a drug bust and it was the police shooting (that's a different argument...) and a couple gang members. Things like that A.) really skew the numbers and B.) really get talked about. No one mentions that those people with the gun racks never harmed a soul and have pretty basic bolt-action hunting rifles, or that the guns the gang members had were bought illegally.

It's bad, it really is...but it's not that bad. Very few people in the US should wake up and feel afraid of gun violence. This is why I think gun control--as in, the banning of specific guns, mods, and so forth--is kind of ridiculous. It's not the guns I am afraid of, it's the people we allow to get them, and how little we do once people have them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Nope.

You'll travel through pockets of America where you might see things and be like "WTF?". You'll go through a small town and, yes, every single truck has a gun rack but it's just that town and it's a town of 200 people. And you might go to Oakland, CA and hear gunshots--a lot of gunshots--one day and you'll think "holy shit it must be like this every day" but then if you read the news it was actually a drug bust and it was the police shooting (that's a different argument...) and a couple gang members. Things like that A.) really skew the numbers and B.) really get talked about. No one mentions that those people with the gun racks never harmed a soul and have pretty basic bolt-action hunting rifles, or that the guns the gang members had were bought illegally.

It's bad, it really is...but it's not that bad. Very few people in the US should wake up and feel afraid of gun violence. This is why I think gun control--as in, the banning of specific guns, mods, and so forth--is kind of ridiculous. It's not the guns I am afraid of, it's the people we allow to get them, and how little we do once people have them.

I've never understood this statement... you can't stop people from doing crazy things if they want to. The US isn't the only country with crazy people. But if you make it as hard as possible for crazy people to get hold of weapons that can result in what we saw in Vegas (and the many, many other mass shootings we've seen & will continue to see in the States), then surely that goes a long way to helping?!?!

Yes, a crazy person can find other ways to do crazy things, like getting a knife or something, but a knife isn't going to do the damage that we saw in Vegas.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say. More & more I realise that there is just a different mindset in the US with guns. I think the problem is that a lot of Americans just love guns, and love the thought of having them. I'm sure it borders on a fetish with some people.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrbojangles25  Online

@hrt_rulz01: I'm not talking about stopping crazy people from doing crazy things entirely, that is impossible, I am just talking about making it harder for them do that while still allowing sane people to indulge in their rights.

This is why the gun control debate is difficult, because people are unwilling to compromise. I come on here and say "I have no problems with guns, just want a bit more control over the people allowed to have them" and you are baffled. Someone else goes "I have no problem with people, it's guns that are the problem" and you are also probably baffled.

Sorry, bud, but you gotta give somewhere. Where is it going to be?

I'd much rather people still be allowed to purchase a .50 cal rifle if they wanted to, 20 round clips, pistol grips, rifles that are the color black, and so forth provided they meet stricter requirements...
...than start a general blanket ban on guns (guns, I might add, that are already in circulation) and gun modifications that are stupid and leave the requirements lax.

I just do not understand the resistance to regulation. I mean, well regulated militia...hell, the regulation part is also in the 2nd Amendment. So, you know, you are kind of obligated to be regulated. It's the militia that's regulated, though, not the guns.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@mrbojangles25 said:

@hrt_rulz01: I'm not talking about stopping crazy people from doing crazy things entirely, that is impossible, I am just talking about making it harder for them do that while still allowing sane people to indulge in their rights.

This is why the gun control debate is difficult, because people are unwilling to compromise. I come on here and say "I have no problems with guns, just want a bit more control over the people allowed to have them" and you are baffled. Someone else goes "I have no problem with people, it's guns that are the problem" and you are also probably baffled.

Sorry, bud, but you gotta give somewhere. Where is it going to be?

I'd much rather people still be allowed to purchase a .50 cal rifle if they wanted to, 20 round clips, pistol grips, rifles that are the color black, and so forth provided they meet stricter requirements...

...than start a general blanket ban on guns (guns, I might add, that are already in circulation) and gun modifications that are stupid and leave the requirements lax.

I just do not understand the resistance to regulation. I mean, well regulated militia...hell, the regulation part is also in the 2nd Amendment. So, you know, you are kind of obligated to be regulated. It's the militia that's regulated, though, not the guns.

I'm not talking about banning guns completely btw... but I think a system similar to what we have here in Aus works well. You have to have a legitimate reason to own a gun & to be granted a licence (and only certain gun types are legal). Reasons such as farming purposes, hunting (not that I condone hunting!) & sport are accepted. However self defence isn't an accepted reason.

And if you are granted a licence, there are strict guidelines you have to follow... such as keeping the gun in a locked safe, separate from ammunition. And random government inspections occur. Plus I think you have to take a course as well, although I'm not 100% sure. Plus obviously background checks and a compulsory waiting period (about a month I think).

Do you think this system would work over there too? I don't see why not.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KOD

@thegerg said:

@kod:

"What good are restrictive gun laws in one area when you can drive 5 minutes north, east, south or west of that location and have the loosest gun laws in any first world nation? WTF is stopping a gang banger in Chicago from saying "hey tom, you dont have any felonies, wanna drive five minutes in any direction and buy a bunch of guns? i know youre poor too so ill give you a grand to do it!"................ What world are you living in where you don't recognize that this is exactly the problem?"

I don't think anyone is saying that illegal gun purchases (which is what you're describing here) aren't a problem.

Im absolutely not describing illegal gun purchases.

If i was describing illegal gun purchases, i'd simply say they could simply stay in that area, call the local gang banger to their house and buy some guns with bodies on them.

What is it with you guys and your inability to understand that in these very small areas with highly restrictive gun sales laws, the people how live there can simply go one county over...... like... why is that so hard for you to compute?

Lets make this sesame street simple for you guys.

Here we have a target. Lets say the center circle, 10, is Chicago. 9 is Illinois. Red, Blue, Black all different states in the surrounding area. WTF good do you think restrictive gun laws do in that center circle 10, when people from 10 can go to 9 and get whatever they want? And then to top it off, red, blue and black people can also buy whatever they want and while its slightly more difficult to legally move those to 10, its still easily done.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bmanva

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Nope.

I've never understood this statement... you can't stop people from doing crazy things if they want to. The US isn't the only country with crazy people. But if you make it as hard as possible for crazy people to get hold of weapons that can result in what we saw in Vegas (and the many, many other mass shootings we've seen & will continue to see in the States), then surely that goes a long way to helping?!?!

Yes, a crazy person can find other ways to do crazy things, like getting a knife or something, but a knife isn't going to do the damage that we saw in Vegas.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say. More & more I realise that there is just a different mindset in the US with guns. I think the problem is that a lot of Americans just love guns, and love the thought of having them. I'm sure it borders on a fetish with some people.

Unless you can mind read and predict someone's future behavior, it's impossible to legislate gun restrictions without infringing on law abiding citizens right to defend themselves. The suggestion that to reduce mass shooting events, guns should simply be banned outright in the US is akin to going after a fly with a sledgehammer; you'd be doing more harm than good. In a grand scheme of things, mass shooting is a drop in the bucket considering nearly 50,000 Americans died from drug overdose last year. The real reason anyone want to restrict the discussion to mass shooting is purely political and contentious since it represents such a microscopic faction of preventable deaths in the US. It's not dissimilar to how the rights focus on crimes by minorities to push their immigration agenda.

It is a different mindset. Americans take on guns really stem from our cultural identity of individualism and self reliance. A lot of people in other developed countries (and many American growing up in relatively sheltered environments) don't understand that type of thinking because for them, their safety and well being are responsibilities of others. To them, gun is something no one who are like them needs because that's a power reserved for those obligated and accountable to their safety (also a bit of projection "others like me can't be trusted with a gun because I don't trust myself with a gun"). I think this is also why overwhelmingly, police and soldiers support individual gun right.