Gun enthusiasts: Mossberg 590A1 or Remington 870 series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

I plan on purchasing my first rifle for home defense and for hunting purposes. I've heard great things about both. I've done some research, but it's still not justified; to make it official, I need to hear from the OT Gun enthusiasts. I'm leaning more towards the 590A1 due to the fact that it's customizable and safety and slide release is easier to use, but then again, the 870 has a steel receiver. What do you guys think?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Ackad said:

@thegerg said:

If you're looking for a rifle it is a waste of your time to debate about shotguns.

Aren't shotguns also considered as long-barreled rifles?

Op, I'd stick with the 590. The Aluminum receiver on the Mossberg is nearly indestructible anyways.

They're considered long-guns, not rifles.

OP, I have a Remington 870 Magnum for hunting. I love it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

the Remington can fire 3.5 inch shells, if that matters

I don't know anything about the Mossberg 590 but I've seen lots on the 500 being a cheap but good shotgun one can get cheap if they find the right time and place to buy one, like $200, with lots of customization options available, so you can get the gun first and worry about upgrading it when you got money.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

Can't go wrong with either, comes down to personal preference, try them both and buy the one you like the best.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@Ackad I do know that there was a whole fiasco with Remington because of Marlin who made lever action repeater rifles, they got bought out by Remington, who was going to fire the staff at Marlin and take things over themselves, and after that transition there's rumor that the Marlin staff sabotaged the calibration of the equipment used to for the Marlin rifles, so there's videos of people upset with Remington over their Marlin models and just as upset about Remington trying to hide the issue and not doing much to help people who buy defective Marlin rifles.

I don't know, I don't have an 870, but I thought they were known to be pretty reliable. As long as you're not buying a Marlin lever action repeater you should be fine I think.

Also, I think the Mossberg should be a fine weapon to. When I said cheap I meant strictly affordable, from what I've seen I believe their pretty reliable too, but by cheap I meant economic. And again they sound great, do some YouTube searches to all the customization people do to their Mossberg 500s.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

I tried the 7mm Magnum from remington and thought it was a fantastic rifle, here in Oz i dont think they sell the mossberg. But if you don't mind spending a bit. The steyr Scout .308 Win is the rifle i use primarily. its a fantastic rifle with accuracy that reaches 300m which is great for such a short barrel rifle. its got a built in bipod and rails for scope mounts.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I would go with the 870 but only because I've used it and like it.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I have had my 870 for years and love it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I would go with the Mossberg. It's good enough for the Marine Corp it's good enough for me.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

They're pretty much on par with each other, but the Remington will have better resale value if you ever end up selling it.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Oh man when you say rifle it generally means rifle, Shotguns are different lol... I was talking to you about rifles all that time LOL.

In Oz Pump actions are illegal we have O/U double barrels here. I have no experience with pump actions except when I used to have one 18 years ago when they were legal here.

If you are ever after a O/U for clay target shooting, the beretta 682x gold trap is not bad, but the best O/U I had was a Perazzi MX8 High rib. That gun was a beauty... Till this day i regret selling it.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

Oh man when you say rifle it generally means rifle, Shotguns are different lol... I was talking to you about rifles all that time LOL.

In Oz Pump actions are illegal we have O/U double barrels here. I have no experience with pump actions except when I used to have one 18 years ago when they were legal here.

If you are ever after a O/U for clay target shooting, the beretta 682x gold trap is not bad, but the best O/U I had was a Perazzi MX8 High rib. That gun was a beauty... Till this day i regret selling it.

My bad haha. I meant long barrel; pump-actions are legal in my state, but I was just curious as to what manufacturer and model I should purchase. Ah decisions from an indecisive person lmao!

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@bigfootpart2 said:

They're pretty much on par with each other, but the Remington will have better resale value if you ever end up selling it.

That's true, but it's probably cheaper to get a hold of a Moss via an Army-Navy store.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

id go with a Mossberg 500 loaded up with bird shot for home defense

nait2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#21 nait2k4
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts

Both good weapons, just a thought though - if you grab the Mossberg, skip the pistol grip option, it makes it a bitch to hit the safety (at least on the last one I used).

Happy shopping!

@Ackad - Personally I'd use bird shot over buck or slugs, because you're less likely to kill the guy busting into your house. I want to protect my family, but I'd prefer not to kill anyone doing it :)

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts
@Ackad said:

@Flubbbs said:

Bird shot over slugs for home defense? Please explain *eminem voice*

with slug you would have to worry about over-penetration in your house. birdshot doesnt do that and would still be deadly if you were defending yourself 10-15 feet across the room

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

@Ackad said:

@Flubbbs said:

Bird shot over slugs for home defense? Please explain *eminem voice*

I roll with magnum slugs for mine. I personally would not trust my life with bird shot.