Gun Control: For it or against it.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By luckylucious

Poll Gun Control: For it or against it. (55 votes)

Gun Control is necessary it will deter crime. 51%
Gun Control is not necessary it will not deter any crime. 49%

Welp its that time again to add to Lucky Lucious's debate series. Lets talk about guns. You see them all the time, in the movies and the vidya games.

No Caption Provided

Point being are you for Gun Control or against it? I want the OT's opinions unfiltered. This thread will be open season, feel free to pull out any sources.

OP Personal opinion: I personally believe gun control will not deter any crime whatsoever. I'd like a full repeal of the ban on assault weapons and among others. Of course no military tanks etc. or anything too crazy.

• 
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23893 Posts

This poll is kinda black and white.

But my choice falls closer to the latter rather than the former. The Democrats are going on about this issue in the wrong way.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maroxad

To be more specific about my stance.

• Stand your ground laws everywhere.
  • Nothing too excessive. Like Nukes.
  • Provide basic education on gun usage and safety to avoid accidents.
luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts
@Maroxad said:

But my choice falls closer to the latter rather than the former. The Democrats are going on about this issue in the wrong way.

I didn't want to add any bias in this poll. Also considering usual justification for gun control is deterring crime and justification for no gun control is it won't deter crime, I figured it would go fine.

However this truly comes down to what you define as crime. Or at-least that is what the major echo-chambers say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

For.

Gun control is one of the many reasons why I'm glad I live in Canada.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By luckylucious
@thegerg said:

@luckylucious:

justification for no gun control is it won't deter crime,

Is that the justification? Or, is the justification that gun ownership is a right that free people have and should not be infringed upon?

That too, but its been drowned out by rhetoric.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

I'm for gun control.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#9 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Far too broad a topic to limit to such black and white choices. Perhaps a question about the amount of control, something like: Current levels are fine/we need more/we need much more/we need less/open the flood gates/ban'em all!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad

@thegerg said:

@luckylucious:

justification for no gun control is it won't deter crime,

Is that the justification? Or, is the justification that gun ownership is a right that free people have and should not be infringed upon?

That is usually the justification.

There is no evidence that gun control deters crime. But there is evidence that the arms industry provides jobs.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Gun control doesn't work. Plain and simple. If it did work, that would be another (far more layered and interesting) discussion.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Gun control is not going to stop the wrong persons from getting guns.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Yeah, this is one of those issues that all but screams for a shade of gray.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Maroxad said:

There is no evidence that gun control deters crime. But there is evidence that the arms industry provides jobs.

What do you think of this? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/23/australias-gun-laws-stopped-mass-shootings-and-reduced-homicides-study-finds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Maroxad said:

What do you think of this? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/23/australias-gun-laws-stopped-mass-shootings-and-reduced-homicides-study-finds

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad

@perfect_blue said:
@Maroxad said:

Well... last time I updated my opinion on this topic was in 2015 or so.

And damn, I worded poorly there. I should have said that evidence is very mixed on the issue of its effect on reducing crime. With some sources saying gun control decrease gun crimes and others increasing. In order for you to convince me, you will have to send me more data. That said, you pushed me a bit on the side of gun control.

Anyways, props on using a recent source. I have said it multiple times. But anything that is over 5 year old carries no merit to me.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 luckylucious
@Maroxad said:

Well... last time I updated my opinion on this topic was in 2015 or so.

And damn, I worded poorly there. I should have said that evidence is very mixed on the issue of its effect on reducing crime. With some sources saying gun control decrease gun crimes and others increasing. In order for you to convince me, you will have to send me more data. That said, you pushed me a bit on the side of gun control.

Anyways, props on using a recent source. I have said it multiple times. But anything that is over 5 year old carries no merit to me.

The thing is you can find evidence for both sides of the argument in multiple cities, countries, counties etc.

Which is why I poorly worded the poll. Should've been ideology based since this argument can be applied on both sides. Ah whatever.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

If you are anti-gun control, f*ck you, honestly. We don't need guns. The right to bear arms is complete bullshit in 2017, and the US should follow Australia and just take them all away. To you redneck morons:

"Hey guys, look at how much I love America! I have a confederate flag which is a symbol of secession, and don't take my guns because I need them to rise up against my own government because I love America THAT much." <--- If you are one of these, you are a disgraceful loser

Both parties like guns too much. Hugely embarrassing and dangerous.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@raugutcon: It will eventually will if the governments plans a trade in program for gun owners into cash or other valuables like cell phones and such. I am for gun control all the way to completely ban them in the U.S. The reason there so much gun deaths in the U.S is because on how easily available and obtainable guns are. If we completely banned with an effective program to trade in your gun for cash it will speed up the process.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

As others have said it's just not that simple.

I understand both sides of the argument and find it hard to place myself on one side or the other. I guess I lean more towards control.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Jebus213 said:

Liberal cuck forum.

Strange post considering this forum has taken a sharp turn to the right since Trump announced he was running.

SquareBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SquareBubbles
Member since 2016 • 15 Posts

Normally I would be for gun control. But as it is now in US, gun control wouldn't seem to help much with the crime rate.

Like someone here said, it's not that the ones upping the crime rate are purchasing guns legally. If in some case it will save your skin it might be a good thing.

BUT

As I am a person who doesn't own a gun, I wouldn't feel very comfortable with idiots that do not realize the consequences of a gunshot carrying guns.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

"Of course no military tanks etc. or anything too crazy."

what do you define as too crazy?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I'm for it of course. Look at the great job strict gun control is doing in Chicago.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad

@perfect_blue said:
@Jebus213 said:

Liberal cuck forum.

Strange post considering this forum has taken a sharp turn to the right since Trump announced he was running.

Yeah. This forum is actually pretty balanced in terms of left vs right wing.

Granted more prominent users are left wing, but overall, it is still fairly balanced.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@Riverwolf007 said:

I'm for it of course. Look at the great job strict gun control is doing in Chicago.

60% of guns recovered in crimes in Chicago are coming from states with weaker gun laws.

Between 2009 and 2013, almost 60 percent of guns used to commit crimes in Chicago were first purchased outside of Illinois. That is a slight uptick from analysis published in 2012, when 58 5 percent were first purchased out of state. All 50 states supplied at least one gun that was eventually used to commit a crime in Chicago. Illinois, like nearly every other state, is the single largest source of guns recovered in Chicago and supplies 40 percent of the total guns recovered in the City. Nationally, on average, each state supplies about 70 percent of guns recovered in crimes in that state and other states supply the remaining 30 percent.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/Assets/downloads/20151102-Tracing-Guns.pdf

Conversely, there have been studies that say right-to-carry gun laws increase violent crime.

http://news.stanford.edu/2014/11/14/donohue-guns-study-111414/

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(15)00072-0/abstract

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.... Uhh I think every one, even the most pro gun right advocates, are for gun control of some kind..

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad

@perfect_blue said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

60% of guns recovered in crimes in Chicago are coming from states with weaker gun laws.

Between 2009 and 2013, almost 60 percent of guns used to commit crimes in Chicago were first purchased outside of Illinois. That is a slight uptick from analysis published in 2012, when 58 5 percent were first purchased out of state. All 50 states supplied at least one gun that was eventually used to commit a crime in Chicago. Illinois, like nearly every other state, is the single largest source of guns recovered in Chicago and supplies 40 percent of the total guns recovered in the City. Nationally, on average, each state supplies about 70 percent of guns recovered in crimes in that state and other states supply the remaining 30 percent.

Conversely, there have been studies that say right-to-carry gun laws increase violent crime.

You make a compelling argument there. An academic article too?

You pushed me to the fence. Now, you just need a bit more till I fall over into your camp. Maybe I was wrong on this. Cant even remember all those pro-gun rights sources now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@Maroxad said:

You pushed me to the fence. Now, you just need a bit more till I fall over into your camp. Maybe I was wrong on this. Cant even remember all those pro-gun rights sources now.

One area that I don't see highlighted often, both in the media and politics, is gun ownership and suicide. Refer to these links:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3518361/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonkblog/suicide-rates/

Also, here's a bonus article as to why gun crime isn't studied more in the US because of something called the Dickey Amendment: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-launched-comprehensive-gun-study-15-years/story?id=39873289

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

I am both for and against guns now. I say distribute small caliber weaponry with each purchase of a Happy Meal, but teach proper gun use in school.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad

@perfect_blue said:
@Maroxad said:

One area that I don't see highlighted often, both in the media and politics, is gun ownership and suicide. Refer to these links:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3518361/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonkblog/suicide-rates/

Also, here's a bonus article as to why gun crime isn't studied more in the US because of something called the Dickey Amendment: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-launched-comprehensive-gun-study-15-years/story?id=39873289

Interesting. Now that I think of it. The pro-gun articles were always blogs. You ahve shown me plenty of articles from academic journals. And the media too.

Yeah. I guess you were right then.

But I must say... that Dickey Amendment sure as hell seems disturbing. Now, why would such an amendment be enacted in the first place?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Maroxad said:

Interesting. Now that I think of it. The pro-gun articles were always blogs. You ahve shown me plenty of articles from academic journals. And the media too.

But I must say... that Dickey Amendment sure as hell seems disturbing. Now, why would such an amendment be enacted in the first place?

NRA shenanigans and supposed "faulty" research. The guy that made it, Republican rep Jay Dickey himself regrets it.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

As I stated many times in the past, crime and violence are symptoms of larger societal issues (like education, poverty and drugs). You don't cure AIDS by taking cold medicine. People wanting gun control to reduce the problems caused by those larger issues are willfully ignorant and shortsighted. Those are the ones politicians target when introducing gun control measures, since victory is declared as soon as those measure passed. The assumption is that more gun control automatically results in reduction in crimes and murder rate. It's narrative their constituents have always taken for granted and never really questioned.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I am against further gun control measures as they do not work. Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive shows that with more firearms, there is a lower murder rate.

I am also of the mind that if a person has passed multiple background checks and has a Department of Homeland Security issued ID card (TWIC), said person should be able to show that and buy a firearm on the spot, no waiting or additional background checks to the same agency that did said background check for that ID.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 luckylucious
@perfect_blue said:
@Maroxad said:

NRA shenanigans and supposed "faulty" research. The guy that made it, Republican rep Jay Dickey himself regrets it.

Pro Gun articles seem to be from Harvard as well, thoughts?:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

I am against further gun control measures as they do not work. Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive shows that with more firearms, there a lower murder rate.

I am also of the mind that if a person has passed multiple background checks and has a Department of Homeland Security issued ID card (TWIC), said person should be able to show that and buy a firearm on the spot, no waiting or additional background checks to the same agency that did said background check for that ID.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
@luckylucious said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

I am against further gun control measures as they do not work. Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive shows that with more firearms, there a lower murder rate.

"It is important to note here that Profs. Kates and Mauser are not pro-gun zealots. In fact, they go out of their way to stress that their study neither proves that gun control causes higher murder rates nor that increased gun ownership necessarily leads to lower murder rates."

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I'm okay with gun ownership but some gun control measures might work. You know, like background checks, limiting sales only to licensed stores, and limited clips.

Other than that, like subzero said, there are too many factors that lead to high crime rates.

That being said, the NRA is a terrible organization that peddles false information and the second amendment's intentions are debatable and laughable.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Every time I get into one of these threads and read the arguments for the right to own a gun. E.g. Protecting your family, safety issues etc. I can't help but wonder how on earth I have survived my 4(so fare!) vacations in the USA without a gun.... not really sure your country is so dangerous guys!!

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@luckylucious said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

"It is important to note here that Profs. Kates and Mauser are not pro-gun zealots. In fact, they go out of their way to stress that their study neither proves that gun control causes higher murder rates nor that increased gun ownership necessarily leads to lower murder rates."

Here is the rest that you left out:

It is important to note here that Profs. Kates and Mauser are not pro-gun zealots. In fact, they go out of their way to stress that their study neither proves that gun control causes higher murder rates nor that increased gun ownership necessarily leads to lower murder rates. (Though, in my view, Prof. John Lott’s More Guns, Less Crime does indeed prove the latter.) But what is clear, and what they do say, is that gun control is ineffectual at preventing murder, and apparently counterproductive.

Gun Control Legislation, a study from Congress shows that violent crimes have decreased as gun ownership increased.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

For guns. Seen so much. Frankly, the little truth holds true. Rather have and not need than need and not have.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Maroxad

@WhiteKnight77 said:

That is the problem with this issue. Evidence exists supporting both sides.

However, as of this thread. There is more evidence in favor gun control being a good thing than gun rights. Another issue with your article. Is its age. In the scientific world, anything older than 5 years should be taken with a grain of salt.

Likewise another issue is their reasoning as described by the ACRU in the article. Using their flawed methodology, I came to the conclusion that countries with MODERATE gun rights/control policies fare better. Which would tell me that if anything, there is an ideal balance. As opposed to the ideal being either extreme.

From what we saw of the ACRU page there. While it does add some weight, that is not enough to convince me back. But I am sure, the actual methodology used was much better than the ACRU described. I would sure as hell hope so.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By luckylucious
@WhiteKnight77 said:
@perfect_blue said:

It is important to note here that Profs. Kates and Mauser are not pro-gun zealots. In fact, they go out of their way to stress that their study neither proves that gun control causes higher murder rates nor that increased gun ownership necessarily leads to lower murder rates. (Though, in my view, Prof. John Lott’s More Guns, Less Crime does indeed prove the latter.) But what is clear, and what they do say, is that gun control is ineffectual at preventing murder, and apparently counterproductive.

Gun Control Legislation, a study from Congress shows that violent crimes have decreased as gun ownership increased.

He tends to leave out facts that disprove his confirmation bias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@WhiteKnight77 said:

But it is not clear at all looking at the overall picture and I've proven that in this thread.

For the record I'm not advocating for guns to be banned entirely just that gun control works, and it does.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maroxad

@drunk_pi said:

I'm okay with gun ownership but some gun control measures might work. You know, like background checks, limiting sales only to licensed stores, and limited clips.

Other than that, like subzero said, there are too many factors that lead to high crime rates.

That being said, the NRA is a terrible organization that peddles false information and the second amendment's intentions are debatable and laughable.

Which is a very good point. In the scientific world we tend to avoid outside variables. Which with Gun control, is very hard to do.

This is of course, a problem with both pro-gun and pro-control data.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By luckylucious

No Caption Provided

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@bmanva said:

As I stated many times in the past, crime and violence are symptoms of larger societal issues (like education, poverty and drugs). You don't cure AIDS by taking cold medicine. People wanting gun control to reduce the problems caused by those larger issues are willfully ignorant and shortsighted. Those are the ones politicians target when introducing gun control measures, since victory is declared as soon as those measure passed. The assumption is that more gun control automatically results in reduction in crimes and murder rate. It's narrative their constituents have always taken for granted and never really questioned.

Exactly! I live in a city that has very strict gun laws, but yet, 300+ people where killed in 2016. 85% of those death where crime related, so gun control did nothing for my city, in fact, gun control works against the best interest of honest, hard working tax payers.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@smearygoose1768 said:

@raugutcon: It will eventually will if the governments plans a trade in program for gun owners into cash or other valuables like cell phones and such. I am for gun control all the way to completely ban them in the U.S. The reason there so much gun deaths in the U.S is because on how easily available and obtainable guns are. If we completely banned with an effective program to trade in your gun for cash it will speed up the process.

Pal, I live in Mexico, one country with the toughest gun control laws, the regular, ordinary, everyday citizen can´t access guns like if it were popcorn, but criminlas do get all sorts of weapons. Gun control only allows the wrong people ( criminals ) to own guns.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Riverwolf007 said:

In the gun control debate, people often make the mistake of confusing correlation with causation. Gun ownership might correlate with gun violence but it's too easy to jump to the mistaken conclusion that limiting former would reduce the latter.

On the other hand, there are plenty of academic studies that highlight the ineffectiveness of gun control.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0734016816670457

http://www.socialmedicine.info/index.php/socialmedicine/article/view/852/1649