Guitarist!! HELP MEEE!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MRxMADxMONKEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MRxMADxMONKEY
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts
I just recently started taking guitar lessons - last night, I learned my first chords. G7 chord and C chord. I made myself look like an idiot time and time again, then he sent me home and told me to practice over the weekend. But you see, I have FINGERS. Not straw-thickness twiggy spider-fingers, but thick, realistic, fairly normal human fingers. xD I can't play ANY chord and it sound right, my fingers block the strings on bottom and it ends up sounding like a bunch of twings with a very notes inbetween. It's hard, seriously! I can't practice something I'm 100% unable to do. o.o How do I play chords without my fingers getting in the way of the string below?
Arch_Angel_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arch_Angel_21
Member since 2006 • 1493 Posts
You may find it slightly painful at first but lift your wrist so that your fingers can't rest on the strings below and make sure that you push down fairly hard on the strings.
Avatar image for shadimoscouplos
shadimoscouplos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 shadimoscouplos
Member since 2004 • 1572 Posts

idk. i tried playing guitar and had that same problem, so i returned the guitar back to the store...

I just play guitar hero now.

matisrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 matisrock
Member since 2007 • 679 Posts

The first guy to reply has the right idea. Make sure you're hitting the notes of the chord with your fingertips, like if you made a spider-type shape with your hand on a desk. Don't let them hit the fretboard the way they would if you laid your hand palm-down on a desk.

To quote everybody in the world, practice makes perfect.

KrisG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KrisG7
Member since 2005 • 2430 Posts
Cut your nails and use the tips, you basically have to perform some Spider-Man stuff to get it. It'll work in time.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
Like a couple others have said, grip the fret board sort of a like a claw. Nothing but your fingertips should be pressing the strings to the fret. Make sure to practice hard and often, as to build up some nice calluses.
MRxMADxMONKEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MRxMADxMONKEY
Ahh, I always feel like a jerk when it takes me to long to reply. =S Sorry, I went out for a walk.
Alright, well I'll be sure to try all of this in an hour or so when I start practicing more, still not sure my fingers are unstumpy enough to do it this way, but I'll try. xD Probably do need to cut my nails to help, that was a great tip too.
Thanks everyone. :D
TeymoORly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TeymoORly
Member since 2006 • 1496 Posts
Do everything everyone above said. Also, when you have your fingers on the strings, pluck each individual string to see if it rings properly. If one doesnt ring properly, adjust the corresponding finger to get it to do so. Press hard and strike all the strings and hopefully the sound should come out as its supposed to
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
yah just keep at it. my fingers arn't thick, but my hands are small, so i had trouble and still have some troubles playing various chords, but sooner or later you'll make it work.
omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
You have to try to arch your fingers so they don't mute any strings. It is difficult at first to do this, but keep at it and eventually it should feel pretty natural.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
It happens to us all.. And First poster has the best reply.
Avatar image for ViolentPressure
ViolentPressure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ViolentPressure
Member since 2005 • 5521 Posts

Make sure that your thump is not resting on top of the fretboard like I see some beginners do, make sure it's righ in the middle, under the fretboard, this gives you greater reach.

Guitar is very hard at first, but if you practice long and hard, it is so rewarding and chicks love it AMIRITE?

jakecufc8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jakecufc8888
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
You'll get used to it. I used to be the same way.
rockon1215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rockon1215
Member since 2007 • 1665 Posts
These are all great tips, especially the pluck-each-individual-string-to-see-what's-muted-first tip. Helped me out a lot when I was first playing. And don't feel bad. I still mess up the C chord every once in a while
MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
Just use an amp. Makes Everything sound better. lol
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
As time goes on you will develop rock-hard callouses on your fingertips and certain muscles will grow stronger so you can play any chord with ease. When I first started playing, my fingers bled fairly often from playing so much. Try playing with your fingertips and don't squeeze the guitar neck with your whole hand.
MRxMADxMONKEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MRxMADxMONKEY
Ahh, these are all such great tips but my fingers are just toooo.. squishy and people like. D=
I tried for an hour and a half straight, repositioning my fingers constantly, trying to do everything said here and still not once could I do it. >.
MRxMADxMONKEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MRxMADxMONKEY

As time goes on you will develop rock-hard callouses on your fingertips and certain muscles will grow stronger so you can play any chord with ease. When I first started playing, my fingers bled fairly often from playing so much. Try playing with your fingertips and don't squeeze the guitar neck with your whole hand.MotherSuperior

Ahh, well is there other ways to help develope harder callouses? Uh.. certain exersizes or anything? xD
And would keeping one of those harder stressballs around for when I wasn't playing or while in the car do enough good to help build the muscles as well, or not do much?

Avatar image for floridaskater05
floridaskater05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 floridaskater05
Member since 2005 • 1876 Posts
practice jack johnson song to get barre chords down :)... i just seen him in concert on the 13th he was amazing :) jack is the reason i picked up the guitar and i dont regret it :D
herozs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 herozs
Member since 2006 • 804 Posts
make sure your thumb is in the middle of the neck. It takes practice too.