Greatest trilogies of all time? what are they?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

Hello,

In this thread, we discuss the best trilogies of all time, shall we? trilogies mostly consist of 3 movies or 3 original storylines that ended despite the fourth one coming. so not counting John Wick since it's no longer a trilogy and did not end at 3 and 4 and 5 are coming.

The matrix should have been the best trilogy if 2 and 3 did not suck.

here's mine

1. Jason Bourne Trilogy
  2. The Dark Knight Trilogy
  3. The Godfather Trilogy (although 3 suck but 1 and 2 are masterpieces)
  4. Star Wars Trilogy
  5. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  6. Pirates of Caribean Trilogy

so my friends for me these are absolute best trilogies. what you consider best trilogies? lets discuss

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I say Lord of the Rings is best. Willed into existence by a group of hollywood unkowns who were passionate fans, and found a mid-tier production company willing to put it's existence on the line to fund the project. Got all the right people in place, found all the right actors, made changes that mostly improved on the source material, had the right mix of practical and CGI effects.

Large scale shit just does not get made like this anymore.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Hard to beat The Lord of the Rings. Each movie is a flawless and epic masterpiece.

I agree with the rest mentioned in the OP except Jason Bourne. Sure they're great action movies but you cannot put them in the same sentence as the others. I would put The Matrix in the list despite 2 and 3 falling far behind the original and also add the Indiana Jones trilogy. It's every bit as iconic as the others.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I guess Star Wars for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Die Hard 1-3 not counting the other two movies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I'll also throw in there the Indiana Jones movies (the first three anyways), and the first three Alien(s) movies, John Wick 1-3 (it's a trilogy for now), The Matrix, the Unbreakable/Split/Glass M Night Shamalan trilogy.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Toy Story

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

I feel The Matrix trilogy was good, so I will put it on the list.

The Godfather

The Lord of The Rings & The Hobbit (yeah, I know the fanbase's reaction to The Hobbit, but I feel they were still good movies)

The Dark Knight Trilogy

and right now, this will do because I am drawing a blank on others.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Die hard 4 is better than 2 and 3. although 1 is best.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I guess back to the future trilogy and planet of the apes reboot trilogy.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@lamprey263 said:

I'll also throw in there the Indiana Jones movies (the first three anyways), and the first three Alien(s) movies, John Wick 1-3 (it's a trilogy for now), The Matrix, the Unbreakable/Split/Glass M Night Shamalan trilogy.

John wick is franchise not trilogy. 4 and 5 coming and story are connected. not something ended in 3.

but as for franchise. its greatest movie franchise of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Die hard 4 is better than 2 and 3. although 1 is best.

Nah, Die Hard 4 sucked it was hard for me no pun intended to take it seriously when Mcclane was teaming up with that Mac guy worst casting choice ever. Samuel L Jackson was a billion times better as Bruce's sidekick as for Die Hard 2 it felt like a Die Hard movie even though it's the weakest of the 3 but it's a true DH movie just a slow burn. 4 was unnecessary it was just a rehash of 3 in someways but more over the top and not as grounded as the first 3 movies.

No thanks can't stand this dude he doesn't belong in a Die Hard movie.

Loading Video...
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Have a feeling going to be the only person saying The Prequels. :D

Loading Video...

Think the thing value about it is how cohesive its story and intent is. Also heavily bolstered by The Clone Wars.

Also like the OT, but for whatever reason New Hope never really gelled with me. Empire/ROTJ feel more cohesive.

Lord Of The Rings like as well. The extended cut probably more so, but it can be alit of a slog and when you actually watch it back to back the overwrought emotion gets abit repetitive. Like, every 20 seconds someone is crying.

Which, I get. It's heightened fantasy.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I wouldn't say the prequels myself as a great trilogy but it certainly beats the terrible garbage Disney has been doing with the Star Wars IP. I don't even know what they were trying to go for with having a villain change his mind a couple of times on what he wants to do in Last Jedi and I didn't even bother watching Rise of Skywalker with Palpatine back after being blown up and them explaining it away with the line "Somehow Palpatine is back" or whatever BS. And then all the Star Wars shows have been pretty garbage as well.

As for me, yes, Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best. Love those movies and all of the praise is well deserved.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

LOTR

GODFATHER

STAR WARS

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@poe13 said:

@uninspiredcup: I wouldn't say the prequels myself as a great trilogy but it certainly beats the terrible garbage Disney has been doing with the Star Wars IP. I don't even know what they were trying to go for with having a villain change his mind a couple of times on what he wants to do in Last Jedi and I didn't even bother watching Rise of Skywalker with Palpatine back after being blown up and them explaining it away with the line "Somehow Palpatine is back" or whatever BS. And then all the Star Wars shows have been pretty garbage as well.

As for me, yes, Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best. Love those movies and all of the praise is well deserved.

Phantom menace is one of the worst star wars movie to date. only good thing comes from prequel trilogy was revenge of the sith that they did it right.

previous 2 movies are bad, boring and also too much politics.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
@poe13 said:

The animated shows are dope. Argue the final 4 episodes of Clones Wars is probably the best Starwars content made, period. At least in my opinion. Rebels while not as good, captured the spirit of the OT far better than the Sequels.

But yea, Mando was always just "ok" for me, feels like not much going on with a repetitive story-line. The waving the Baby-Yoda cute thing gets cheap and tiring after a while. Easy claps.

Boba was trash, I think this is even worse than the Sequel movies. Which sucks as really like Temuera Morrison, hope he pops up as Rex.

Thus far Obi-Wan has been ok, but a lot of that is me expecting the absolute worst after Boba. Sure if it wasn't for Boba be ragging on it more, but at this point the only way is up.

Basically unless it had "Dave Filoni" or "Timothy Zahn" attached, automatically ambivalent. Ahsoka, absolutely hyped for.

I think as a cohesive story the Prequels works really well. Yes, it can be boring, some of the CGI is dated and the dialogue is a meme fest, but The Sequels is like a factory made imitation of the original trilogy to the point it's comparatively utterly souless.

So Uncivilized (per usual) sums it up perfectly.

Loading Video...

Alongside the good shit in Prequels that still largely goes over alot of peoples heads. To me it's 100 times more interesting than rando Disney pap, be it their Starwars movies or Marvel stuff.

Loading Video...
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@poe13 said:

The animated shows are dope. Argue the final 4 episodes of Clones Wars is probably the best Starwars content made, period. At least in my opinion. Rebels while not as good, captured the spirit of the OT far better than the Sequels.

But yea, Mando was always just "ok" for me, feels like not much going on with a repetitive story-line. The waving the Baby-Yoda cute thing gets cheap and tiring after a while. Easy claps.

Boba was trash, I think this is even worse than the Sequel movies. Which sucks as really like Temuera Morrison, hope he pops up as Rex.

Thus far Obi-Wan has been ok, but a lot of that is me expecting the absolute worst after Boba. Sure if it wasn't for Boba be ragging on it more, but at this point the only way is up.

Basically unless it had "Dave Filoni" or "Timothy Zahn" attached, automatically ambivalent. Ahsoka, absolutely hyped for.

I think as a cohesive story the Prequels works really well. Yes, it can be boring, some of the CGI is dated and the dialogue is a meme fest, but The Sequels is like a factory made imitation of the original trilogy to the point it's comparatively utterly souless.

So Uncivilized (per usual) sums it up perfectly.

Loading Video...

Alongside the good shit in Prequels that still largely goes over alot of peoples heads. To me it's 100 times more interesting than rando Disney pap, be it their Starwars movies or Marvel stuff.

Loading Video...

what about jar jar binks?

its cringe worthy. worst thing to star wars universe and that's why Episode 1 suck. not to mention child anakin skywalker also suck. he grew up fast but padme age remain same lol. what a freaking blooper.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

what about jar jar binks?

its cringe worthy. worst thing to star wars universe and that's why Episode 1 suck. not to mention child anakin skywalker also suck. he grew up fast but padme age remain same lol. what a freaking blooper.

My friend, the growth difference between 9/14 is monumental. , a little boy 4 foot can become 6+ in a tiny space of time. Have you never met a teenager before? lol

In the sequels, everyone is Jar Jar Binks, including the villains.

Loading Video...

Recommend you watch this video and upgrade your life.

Loading Video...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup:

Cup, what about Pirates of carribean trilogy?

Johnny dep play one of the most iconic role even Amber heard liked that role I bet. before the era of woke.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Before Sunrise trilogy

Dollars / Man With No Name trilogy

Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy

Indiana Jones trilogy

Toy Story trilogy

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

@jaydan said:

Indiana Jones trilogy

Also consider this, exactly where it ended.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@jaydan said:

Before Sunrise trilogy

Before trilogy?

I have not seen it nor I wanted to lol. just watched trailers and feel like its booring.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blackacezero777

Rush Hour Trilogy is another one.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackacezero777

@uninspiredcup: Off-Topic, but what are some good Star Wars novels I should read? I want to dive into the novels as I have an interest in the Ronin story, but I also would like to know what are considered the best ones by fans.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

@blackacezero777: Hmmm... For canon books def recommend the Thrawn Trilogy, to me these were the best.

Though as it has little to no focus on Jedi or Sith. Which, depending on what you're after while either make them more interesting and off-putting.

For canon books focusing on the Jedi guess recommend Dark Disciple which is an unfinished Clone Wars arc that became novelized.

But honestly, i'd just go on Amazon and pick out what you think looks interesting. Books are usually very cheap in Kindle format.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jaydan
@ghosts4ever said:
@jaydan said:

Before Sunrise trilogy

Before trilogy?

I have not seen it nor I wanted to lol. just watched trailers and feel like its booring.

I wouldn't recommend it to you since you only like guns, muscles and mainstream blockbusters, but to true cinephiles it's one of the great trilogies of all-time.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blackacezero777

@uninspiredcup: I will keep these in mind. Any good ones under the EU?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 uninspiredcup

@blackacezero777: : Lots. Most people would say the original Thrawn Trilogy, Bane Trilogy. And for me personally say Darth Plagueis.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@jaydan said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@jaydan said:

Before Sunrise trilogy

Before trilogy?

I wouldn't recommend it to you since you only like guns, muscles and mainstream blockbusters, but to true cinephiles it's one of the great trilogies of all-time.

one of the greatest? even better than John wick series or Jason bourne trilogy? LOL!

I did watched plenty of romantic movies ieTitanic, La la land etc. they all suck. and are boring. Titanic is one of the worst movie I have ever seen. but they got plenty of oscars.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever: Do not like pirates.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jaydan
@ghosts4ever said:
@jaydan said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@jaydan said:

Before Sunrise trilogy

Before trilogy?

one of the greatest? even better than John wick series or Jason bourne trilogy? LOL!

I did watched plenty of romantic movies ieTitanic, La la land etc. they all suck. and are boring. Titanic is one of the worst movie I have ever seen. but they got plenty of oscars.

John Wick is entertaining enough, but they don't hold a candle to some of the all-time greats, and Jason Bourne made a fad of one is the worst camera techniques of all-time (shake-cam).

It's okay though, you are not true cinephile, I accept you have very limited taste and that's why I wouldn't recommend the Before trilogy to you.

I can't stand Titanic either, so we can meet halfway with that one.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

it's difficult to not put lotr at the top of that list

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Star Wars
  • Blade trilogy
  • Matrix trilogy

Honorable mentions:

• The Vengeance Trilogy from Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Lady Vengeance). Although it is hard to say they are actually a trilogy, not really linked.
  • The Alien trilogy. Not really a trilogy since it is four main films plus the AvP spinoffs.
  • The Terminator movies. Some were crap, a few were good, one was great. All were entertaining.

@judaspete said:

I say Lord of the Rings is best. Willed into existence by a group of hollywood unkowns who were passionate fans, and found a mid-tier production company willing to put it's existence on the line to fund the project. Got all the right people in place, found all the right actors, made changes that mostly improved on the source material, had the right mix of practical and CGI effects.

You know, when you put it like that, I have to agree.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I’d say that would have to go to the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy.

Not simply because they’re great films and modern day mythology in their own right, but because they were groundbreaking for their time and nigh single-handedly launched the special effects industry with the inception of ILM that held bearing on pretty much all films henceforth.

It‘s hard to overemphasize how influential the original Star Wars was to movies in general. I’m hard-pressed to think of another trilogy that has, objectively, held such gravitas to the industry in which it exists.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Star Wars
  • Blade trilogy
  • Matrix trilogy

Honorable mentions:

• The Vengeance Trilogy from Park Chan-Wook (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Lady Vengeance). Although it is hard to say they are actually a trilogy, not really linked.
  • The Alien trilogy. Not really a trilogy since it is four main films plus the AvP spinoffs.
  • The Terminator movies. Some were crap, a few were good, one was great. All were entertaining.
@judaspete said:

You know, when you put it like that, I have to agree.

long but a decent watch

Loading Video...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @comp_atkins: Yeah, I think Hollywood will have to go through some kind of crash, and a few years of smaller studios building up to fill the void before we'll see anything like LotR again.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@judaspete said:

Yep. Lord of the Rings wins.