Government, Economy, Immigration Seen as Top U.S. Problems.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Master_Live

Poll Government, Economy, Immigration Seen as Top U.S. Problems. (21 votes)

Dissatisfaction with government 19%
Economy in general 14%
Immigration 10%
Unemployment 19%
Race relations/Racism 0%
Ethics/Morals 5%
Healthcare 5%
Federal budget deficit 0%
Education 10%
Judicial system 10%
Other (Please specify on your reply) 10%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

From the article:

In September, Americans are most likely to name dissatisfaction with government, the economy and immigration as the "most important problem" facing the country, although no one issue is named by more than one in five Americans. Mentions of the government and immigration are up slightly from August.

Gallup's monthly inventory of Americans' responses to the question "What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?" shows that government and government dissatisfaction were listed by 17% of Americans in September, while the economy in general was listed by 15% and immigration was listed by 12%. Fewer than one in 10 Americans named all the other responses. A similar lack of consensus was found in August, with no single issue dominating Americans' minds.

The relatively high percentage of Americans who nominate immigration as the top problem may reflect the emphasis it has received in Donald Trump's presidential campaign. However, the current migrant crisis in Europe and the surge of young immigrants from South America in the summer of 2014 may have also influenced this uptick. But economic problems are still a major factor in Americans' minds, with a net of 35% of Americans mentioning an economic issue. Since November 2013, the economy and dissatisfaction with the government have typically been among the top-ranking problems, at times joined by unemployment, immigration and healthcare.

In the past, certain issues have dominated Americans' responses, often corresponding with major events. For example, during the economic downturn, mentions of the economy or unemployment dominated, and during the latter years of George W. Bush's presidency, the situation in Iraq typically topped the list.

Americans More Likely to Say Republican Party Better at Handling Problem

In a follow-up question, Gallup asked Americans which political party they thought could do a better job of handling the problem they named as most important, and the Republican Party emerges with a slight edge. Specifically, 42% of Americans say the Republican Party would do a better job, while 37% say the Democratic Party. Another 23% volunteered that the parties would do the same job, that a third party would do a better job or had no opinion.

Gallup has asked this question on an occasional basis for decades, with a great deal of variation in the responses. Republicans were more likely to be named as the best party to handle the problem in 2014, the parties tied in 2013 and the Democrats were on top by 10 percentage points in September 2012, reflecting Democratic strength in a presidential election year in which Barack Obama was re-elected. But, by way of comparison, Republicans enjoyed a seven-point lead in September 2011, more than a year ahead of the 2012 election, indicating that the current views of party strength are not necessarily predictive of results in the 2016 presidential election.

Among those mentioning the government as the top problem facing Americans, Republicans have the edge as the party deemed better able to handle it, 45% to 34%. Republicans also lead among those who mention the economy as the top problem, 43% to 38%. Those relationships are confounded to some degree by the greater tendency of Republican Party identifiers than Democratic Party identifiers to mention these issues as the top problem facing the country. On issues Democrats are more likely to name as the most important problem, for example race relations, the Democratic Party is generally viewed as the party better able to handle it.

Bottom Line

Unlike 2004, when Iraq was the dominant issue or in 2008 when the economy dominated, the 2016 presidential campaign may be fought over a variety of issues. Donald Trump has made immigration a major campaign issue, and this is an issue that Americans more generally tend to perceive as the most important problem, along with the economy and the government itself. Also, the fact that outsider candidates like Trump and Ben Carson are doing well in the polls at the expense of candidates with government experience could likely be a manifestation of people's dissatisfaction with the government.

Usually, the party that is seen as better at handling the most important problem is the one that wins the election. Just over a year out from the presidential election, Republicans do hold a slight edge on that. However, they had a similar edge in 2011 and lost it before the 2012 election. Much could change between now and the election next year, and it is quite possible that a single issue could rise to prominence in Americans' minds as the most important, and that Americans' perceptions of which party can better handle this problem could shift.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like the article says it is still early. Regarding the "top problem", dissatisfaction with government, this tend to jive with the "throw em' all out!" some espouse but which usually doesn't materialized because what they really mean is: "throw all the guys from the other team out!" yet, for instance, in House races you can only vote for "your guy" which they usually re-elect and can't vote, lets say, to throw out all those pesky liberals congressmen from California.

Still, that isn't good news for the party in power in the White House. People tend mostly to see the WH as the primary face of manifestation of power in Washington.

Anyways, a government shutdown could change these numbers dramatically. In this case Republicans would be mostly blamed for a shutdown.

Economy in general: like Carville's says: "It's the economy, stupid". This would tend to favor the party out of power with the conventional thinking of "well, these guys had their chance, now lets give the other team a chance".

Finally, I could see the issue of immigration favoring the Republicans if they don't overreach (don't laugh!). An approach of faithfully enforcing immigration laws, hammer of god prosecutions on those overstaying their visas, expansion of the e-verify program, "toughening up" border controls so it is airtight yet including a plan of a path to (eventually) citizenship for those already inside the United States would be a winning message. Doing it through Congress, not some executive action which the public don't approve of. Basically, the thing is to assure the American people this is the fucking last time they will have to deal with this damned problem.

I would agree that people's dissatisfaction with government is the top problem in the United States. People just seem to hate government either because they think it is too meddling or not doing enough. I think all of this ties to the dissatisfaction with the economy (government tax too much, too much regulation; government isn't stimulating enough the economy) and immigration (not enforcing the laws, not finding a legislative solution) depending on your perspective.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So OT, I ask you: What do you think is the most important problem facing the United States today?

• 
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

quite honestly, if immigration is a top US problem, then the US really doesn't have any real problems

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44718 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

quite honestly, if immigration is a top US problem, then the US really doesn't have any real problems

oh they got them, this is simply what low information dumbfucks focus on that detracts from handling real problems

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

The U.S. has just one small problem:

It's a militaristic neo-fascist, neo-imperialist police state that's loathed worldwide and burdened with a dead-end economy and an irrevocably decaying infrastructure.

Other than that, it's fine.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

I think gun crimes is missing off that list.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

That would mean that less than 4% of respondents had that as an answer.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Na we do, but people rank them differently. Off of that list, the economy, distrust of government, and healthcare are legitimate problems. Not nearly as bad as some other countries, but they're there and should be addressed. One thing I think should have made the list though is our aging infrastructure that the government seems to be ignoring so we can build schools in the middle east that will probably never get used.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

My goodness so many issues that don't affect me nor do I care about.

People complain religion is what holds humanity back from advancing. I think it's politics. Why are we still paying taxes to an authority that just spends it on war and abortions?

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I find it difficult to peg a problem as the number one issue that the United States faces, as there are a myriad of issues with our country, just as there are many other countries.

If forced to make a selection though, I would say that it's very important for us to re-adjust our tax system(this is something I could discuss all day), as well as a complete overhaul of our nation's College/Education programs. Admittedly, I am an aspiring teacher, so I may be unfairly biased towards the latter. I just really think it would be beneficial to many of our upcoming professionals if we were to adopt the idea of higher education as a right, and not a privilege. Plus, the idea that a High Schooler NEEDS to go to College in order to succeed is viciously wrong, and ends up setting a lot of people back.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@dragonfly110 said:

I find it difficult to peg a problem as the number one issue that the United States faces, as there are a myriad of issues with our country, just as there are many other countries.

If forced to make a selection though, I would say that it's very important for us to re-adjust our tax system(this is something I could discuss all day), as well as a complete overhaul of our nation's College/Education programs. Admittedly, I am an aspiring teacher, so I may be unfairly biased towards the latter. I just really think it would be beneficial to many of our upcoming professionals if we were to adopt the idea of higher education as a right, and not a privilege. Plus, the idea that a High Schooler NEEDS to go to College in order to succeed is viciously wrong, and ends up setting a lot of people back.

The first thing that should be changed is the attitude of many college students who slack off and then drop their courses at the first sign of difficulty. I've seen too many of them take the same course two or three times, sometimes more. Instructors/professors don't care because they get paid either way. However, the attitude shown by these students constitute a drain on resources that are better spent on more deserving students.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Basically the economy for me. It's said that a rising tide lifts all boats, but it appears that only the richest people are accumulating greater wealth.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Basically the economy for me. It's said that a rising tide lifts all boats, but it appears that only the richest people are accumulating greater wealth.

The rising tide doesn't lift all boats. It does, however, lift all multi-million dollar yachts.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Well that's a long OP.

"The relatively high percentage of Americans who nominate immigration as the top problem may reflect the emphasis it has received in Donald Trump's presidential campaign. However, the current migrant crisis in Europe and the surge of young immigrants from South America in the summer of 2014 may have also influenced this uptick" - I would say the prominent stories about Kate Steinle being killed by an illegal immigrant that San Francisco should have handed over to ICE and about another illegal immigrant raping and killing a sixty-something year old Air Force veteran in Arizona, are also increasing the amount of importance Americans are attaching to the issue of illegal immigration.

Overall It looks like the ranking of the important issues doesn't bode well for Democrats, these issues seem to be ones that Republicans tend to campaign on more, and it seems like issues that Democrats care about like gun control, minority and LGBT rights, education ("free" college) aren't really important to many voters, and aside for gay rights (when they don't conflict with religious liberty), probably aren't supported by a majority of the electorate. I'm rather surprised that national security wasn't listed as one of those issues.

I would say that what most Americans want for the next president is someone who will: 1. Secure the southern border and enforce immigration law, particularly against violent illegal immigrants 2. Simplify the tax code so it's easier for every day Americans to figure out, and so that they don't end up paying more than they are legally required to do (of course the rich guys can hire accountants to make sure they don't overpay), and so that most Americans would pay less taxes. 3. Reduce government spending and get rid of unnecessary programs and agencies; basically "trim the fat" and get rid of the inefficiencies within the Federal government, this would likely also mean a reduction in the number of federal employees 4. Have a strong military and a coherent national defense policy, that would deter aggression from the likes of Russia and China and be able to deal with the threats posed by ISIS and other Islamist extremists groups.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I do agree that Colleges need to be a little more rigid about some of their policies in regards to withdrawing/dropping a class, there are certainly rules in place that prevent people that regularly drop classes from abusing the system. A close coworker of mine was notorious for dropping classes for instance, and had all of his financial aid pulled from him after his first semester of schooling, and was forced to pay the remainder of his tuition out of pocket.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I agree with that. After adjusting for inflation most people are making less than they were 20 yrs ago despite making more per paycheck. I'm also add education as a problem. We're not educating people to get the good jobs and the price of college has become obscene.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@whipassmt said:

I would say that what most Americans want for the next president is someone who will: 1. Secure the southern border and enforce immigration law, particularly against violent illegal immigrants

Stopped reading right here. Illegal immigrants are less violent than citizens due to the simple fact they need to be or else their ass getting sent back to Honduras and most come by plane, not hopping the border. This is simple basic stuff you can find in 10 seconds on Google if you actually looked instead of just parroting reich wing rhetoric.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@topgunmv said:
@xeno_ghost said:

That would mean that less than 4% of respondents had that as an answer.

Seems no matter how hard libs try it just doesn't registers with the general public. That isn't to say that if the poll had been conducted while a shooting massacre was still fresh in the news maybe (maybe) the topic would have registered.

Grimdalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Grimdalus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

Immigration is not an issue, right winged militias are a bigger issue than immigrants.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@whipassmt said:

I would say that what most Americans want for the next president is someone who will: 1. Secure the southern border and enforce immigration law, particularly against violent illegal immigrants

Stopped reading right here. Illegal immigrants are less violent than citizens due to the simple fact they need to be or else their ass getting sent back to Honduras and most come by plane, not hopping the border. This is simple basic stuff you can find in 10 seconds on Google if you actually looked instead of just parroting reich wing rhetoric.

Maybe the US should do what the other Euros do. Let the illegals pass through to Canada.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Maybe the US should do what the other Euros do. Let the illegals pass through to Canada.

I don't think they want to come here, too cold and taxes are too high.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I don't think they want to come here, too cold and taxes are too high.

And the bacon's not as good either!