Gotham (new TV series) trailer is out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Looks... interesting? They should have just adapted Gotham Central and called it a day.

please be good

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Definitely hope it turns out good. Will be keeping an eye on it.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Gotham with no Batman? Nothing more than a tease. What a stupid idea. Reminds me of Smallville: a show about Superman that wasn't about Superman and always kept me waiting for the moment he'd become Superman, only to end when he did so. Dumb.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Aljosa23: Thanks for showing me this, it looks super cool. The scene of the trailer where Bruce Wayne parents get shot gave me chills down my spine surprisingly.

Even though I don't have cable television, I wish this was on cable. Just so it could get way more darker and gritter without the bounds of tv shows on public television.

Still interested in it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@BluRayHiDef said:

Gotham with no Batman? Nothing more than a tease. What a stupid idea. Reminds me of Smallville; a show about Superman that wasn't about Superman and always kept me waiting for the moment he'd become Superman, only to end when he did so. Dumb.

The idea sounds perfectly fine; it's a prequel about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept. Smallville's problems were more than just it not being Superman. Don't judge something so harshly until you've seen it.

Though I am worried that a lot of the show will be about "things to come" and basically turn into fan fiction. I don't want them to shoehorn Batman's rogues gallery into the show just to have them there.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Looks forgettable except for Ben McKenzie channeling his inner Russel Crowe. Man is looking sharp, I might catch the first episode.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BluRayHiDef
@Aljosa23 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Gotham with no Batman? Nothing more than a tease. What a stupid idea. Reminds me of Smallville; a show about Superman that wasn't about Superman and always kept me waiting for the moment he'd become Superman, only to end when he did so. Dumb.

The idea sounds perfectly fine; it's a prequel about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept. Smallville's problems were more than just it not being Superman. Don't judge something so harshly until you've seen it.

Though I am worried that a lot of the show will be about "things to come" and basically turn into fan fiction. I don't want them to shoehorn Batman's rogues gallery into the show just to have them there.

This show will fail, just as you have failed. A failed man looking forward to a failed show. How fitting - the fitting fail.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Gotham with no Batman? Nothing more than a tease. What a stupid idea. Reminds me of Smallville: a show about Superman that wasn't about Superman and always kept me waiting for the moment he'd become Superman, only to end when he did so. Dumb.

There is more to Gotham City than just Batman. It is one of the most important cities in the DC universe.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's going to have to try very hard in order to be as shit as smallville.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I'll give it a watch......

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'll give it a watch......

A Rolex or a G-Shock?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BluRayHiDef said:

Disagree completely. Smallville sucks because rather than superman being a Jesus like figure of hope, he's a whiny little shitbag who only wants to help people when he's forced too. The tone of smallville was completely fucking wrong, seriously. They managed to make Clark a douchebag. The Adventures Of Louis And Clark was way better imo. Great chemistry and tone and Dean Kane did come across as a hero of truth and Justice.

When it comes to Batman, seeing how the villains form and Batman developing into Batman sounds interesting. Since Batman arguably has the best villain set around.

Quite like the penguin character. Catwoman looks too clean and glam though. Like she comes from a more fantastical universe while the trailer tries hard to make it feel gritty and grounded. Arrow has that problem.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Disagree completely. Smallville sucks because rather than superman being a Jesus like figure of hope, he's a whiny little shitbag who only wants to help people when he's forced too. The tone of smallville was completely fucking wrong, seriously. They managed to make Clark a douchebag. The Adventures Of Louis And Clark was way better imo. Great chemistry and tone and Dean Kane was a hero of truth and Justice and all that good shite.

When it comes to Batman, seeing how the villains form and Batman developing into Batman sounds interesting. Since Batman arguably has the best villain set around.

Quite like the penguin character. Catwoman looks too clean and glam though. Like she comes from a more fantastical universe while the trailer tries hard to make it feel gritty and grounded.

We all know that this show was made because it would have been too expensive to make a live-action Batman television series. To attempt to do so on a low budget would result in a corny and gimmicky show, so they compromised. As another user fears, this show will be filled with filler; Batman comes to meet his enemies as an adult - as Batman - not as a child. This show's very premise is stupid.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BluRayHiDef said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Disagree completely. Smallville sucks because rather than superman being a Jesus like figure of hope, he's a whiny little shitbag who only wants to help people when he's forced too. The tone of smallville was completely fucking wrong, seriously. They managed to make Clark a douchebag. The Adventures Of Louis And Clark was way better imo. Great chemistry and tone and Dean Kane was a hero of truth and Justice and all that good shite.

Quite like the penguin character. Catwoman looks too clean and glam though. Like she comes from a more fantastical universe while the trailer tries hard to make it feel gritty and grounded.

We all know that this show was made because it would have been too expensive to make a live-action Batman television series. To attempt to do so on a low budget would result in a corny and gimmicky show, so they compromised. As another user fears, this show will be filled with filler.

Eh, depends mostly on how it's executed imo. Done well, the most mundane shit can be incredibly interesting.

For example, I point you to an episode of Deep Space 9 titled "Duet". Originally suppose to be filler episode, basically two people in a room and nothing else, it is widely regarded as the best episode of the entire set of series.

But yea, if it's anything like Smallville or Arrow, it will be mundane as shit. Hopes aren't high. It's linked to Batman, so people probably will watch it regardless.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

We all know that this show was made because it would have been too expensive to make a live-action Batman television series. To attempt to do so on a low budget would result in a corny and gimmicky show, so they compromised. As another user fears, this show will be filled with filler.

Eh, depends mostly on how it's executed imo. Done well, the most mundane shit can be incredibly interesting.

For example, I point you to an episode of Deep Space 9 titled "Duet". Originally suppose to be filler episode, basically two people in a room and nothing else, it is widely regarded as the best episode of the entire set of series.

But yea, if it's anything like Smallville or Arrow, it will be mundane as shit.

We will see, but I remain pessimistic. Also, we all know that this show was created to ride the success of the recent Nolan Batman trilogy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

@BluRayHiDef said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

But yea, if it's anything like Smallville or Arrow, it will be mundane as shit.

We will see, but I remain pessimistic. Also, we all know that this show was created to ride the success of the recent Nolan Batman trilogy.

Had this same attitude with Hannibal, it was a mistake. Surprisingly great show.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

I'm know I've been critical of TV and movies the last 14-15 years, but I remember liking the 1st 2-3 seasons of Smallville.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

The idea sounds perfectly fine; it's a prequel about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept.

Serious question: Do people really care about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept? I have never been into comics/superheros but this seems like a major stretch

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@limpbizkit818 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

The idea sounds perfectly fine; it's a prequel about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept.

Serious question: Do people really care about Jim Gordon and the Gotham police dept? I have never been into comics/superheros but this seems like a major stretch

James Gordon is a significant SUPPORTING character in Batman's universe; he's not meant to hold his own weight. I personally don't care for James outside of his role as Batman's friend.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@limpbizkit818 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Absolutely! One of the best Batman comics ever (Year One) is basically a Jim Gordon story. There is a lot of interesting stuff they could do with a young Gordon solving crimes.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

What people need to remember is that Gordon himself DOES actually have an interesting story that is sadly ignored on a lot of occasions. You have a man who comes into the corrupt police force of a crime-ruled town and single-handedly begins the cleansing of the city. That right there is a set-up for a good show.

They went into this a bit in Batman: Year One and Gordon's portion was by far the most interesting part of that movie.

This show has plenty of promise if done properly. Really hope they don't **** it up.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BluRayHiDef
@LostProphetFLCL said:

What people need to remember is that Gordon himself DOES actually have an interesting story that is sadly ignored on a lot of occasions. You have a man who comes into the corrupt police force of a crime-ruled town and single-handedly begins the cleansing of the city. That right there is a set-up for a good show.

They went into this a bit in Batman: Year One and Gordon's portion was by far the most interesting part of that movie.

This show has plenty of promise if done properly. Really hope they don't **** it up.

Even if what you say is true, it's obvious that the studios don't think James Gordon is interesting enough to warrant excluding Bruce Wayne and his enemies from the show; they don't believe he can carry the show on his own.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@Aljosa23: I was wondering where I'd seen the guy who says "Gotham is on a knife edge..."

That's Rodrigo Borgia. I'm interested now.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Do want.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@limpbizkit818 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

I really enjoyed him in both the Nolanverse and The Animated Series, so yes I think this has potential.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

And here I was expecting a Batman series, that would have been epic.

I guess I'll give it a try anyway. When is the first episode scheduled to air?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

looks sweet.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Well I'm definitely giving it a try, but my expectations are very low.

@GazaAli said:
When is the first episode scheduled to air?

The show literally just got picked up by FOX yesterday. It's gonna air this fall, but I doubt we'll have a date anytime soon.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

I've been keeping an eye on it. I've been enjoying Arrow, so a new DC series is always welcome.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Well I'm definitely giving it a try, but my expectations are very low.

@GazaAli said:
When is the first episode scheduled to air?

The show literally just got picked up by FOX yesterday. It's gonna air this fall, but I doubt we'll have a date anytime soon.

eh still a long way to go then. I'm in no rush considering that I don't have high expectations for the show and I have tons of things to keep me entertained in the meantime.

I wonder if the show will at least have the usual Batman villains.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

This is what happens when a (in my opinion) mediocre show like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is successful. Everybody starts pulling stuff out of their ass trying to cash in.

Don't really have much hope for this one but will watch the first few episodes so I can actually base my decision on more than what seems like a crappy premise with maybe a few interesting aspects.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.....

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BluRayHiDef

Shouldn't this show be aired on a network owned by WB instead of FOX since WB owns DC?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Shouldn't this show be aired on a network owned by WB instead of FOX since WB owns DC?

Not necessarily. There have been plenty of shows over the years that has been produced for networks other than those you think would be affiliated with them. Look at Fox for example--Gotham will be produced by Warner Bros. Television, along with The Following. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is produced by Universal Television and it airs on Fox instead of NBC or USA. You get the general idea.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BluRayHiDef

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Not necessarily. There have been plenty of shows over the years that has been produced for networks other than those you think would be affiliated with them. Look at Fox for example--Gotham will be produced by Warner Bros. Television, along with The Following. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is produced by Universal Television and it airs on Fox instead of NBC or USA. You get the general idea.

Why does this happen? Wouldn't the company that owns the property want to pocket the profits earned by the series by airing it on one of their own networks?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Saw the preview last night during '24'. Once I saw that the kid from 'OC' was in it, totally turned me off it. I think in regards to the Batman story we got enough of Bruce Wayne's history in the previous movies. Why do they feel the need to delve in further and make a few seasons out of it for primetime TV?

I miss the days of originality. Seems like a thing of the past now.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: i dont know the entire logistics of it, but I imagine they do get profits form it. If it wasn't, they never would have made the deal with Fox. They could have aired it on the CW, but even the highest rated show on that network probably pales in comparison to the ratings that even a mediocre show on the four major networks pull in.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@limpbizkit818 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Absolutely! One of the best Batman comics ever (Year One) is basically a Jim Gordon story. There is a lot of interesting stuff they could do with a young Gordon solving crimes.

Only comics I own are the walking dead (super casual I know). I might actually look into Year One, thanks.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

The biggest problem this show is going to face is not letting its main character Jim Gordon get overshadowed by the far more prevalent Bruce Wayne. This is hardly the same thing, but when Zach Braff left Scrubs in season 8, NBC tried to keep it going and found the show couldn't exist without JD, thus kept all the focus on him. It was a disaster.