Got a job interview...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

Got a "group interview" for a job as a sales assisstant at waitrose which is basically a retail store for middle/upper class people. and tips and what i should wear? what questons would i expect?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
check your avatar and sig,that should fit to your job perfectly
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Wear a suit and tie with dress pants and just look presentable. Expect the basic questions like what your strengths/weaknesses are and what kind of experience you have in relation to the job. Look them in the eyes and speak with confidence, generally somebody who does hiring can tell a bs'er
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Dress in the sort of clothes that employees wear on the job. You don't want to be under dressed because you'll look sloppy; but over-dressing will make you look just plain silly.
If it's retail you almost certainly won't need a suit. Probably a polo shirt and nice pants will suffice.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Personally i wouldn't rock a suit for a retail interview as I think it's a bit much. A suits fine if you want I'd go with a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt (with a tie if it's a fancy store). As for what to expect, if it's a group interview, that typically means they're just interviewing almost anyone who applies (mass interviewing). Don't expect a long interview in group interview sessions. Just the basics.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

suit if you don't got one business shirt with a tie will be most likely be better. Don't want to OVER DRESS

try not to be nerves and have some backbone and you be good. It's just a retail store... Now i don't mean slack off  i just mean there is not much to it.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700

Dress in the sort of clothes that employees wear on the job. You don't want to be under dressed because you'll look sloppy; but over-dressing will make you look just plain silly.
If it's retail you almost certainly won't need a suit. Probably a polo shirt and nice pants will suffice.

harashawn

Exactly. Contrary to some people's belief, you CAN overdress for an interview. If everyone is just wearing dockers and a dress shirt, you'll look like an idiot if you're in a full suit. Been there, done that. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
From my Business Communications class, I've learned if you're in a group interview to wear power colors. Don't go in with a dull colored shirt and tie. Where power colors.
Avatar image for sourpatchkids29
sourpatchkids29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sourpatchkids29
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts
lol, yea I over dressed for an auditing project. I went in with a suit(over dressed) plus as I walk in of course it was casual Friday, so that made it even worse.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="sourpatchkids29"]lol, yea I over dressed for an auditing project. I went in with a suit(over dressed) plus as I walk in of course it was casual Friday, so that made it even worse.Pirate700

Then there's the exact opposite, the people that really under dress. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that think black jeans and black boots or skate shoes are dressing up for an interview. If I was doing interviews, and someone came in wearing jeans, I'd immediately thank them for their time and move to the next person.

tank top and shorts too casual ? =P
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Suit and Tie and you can never go wrong.

Also, appear energetic and interested. Pay attention!

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sourpatchkids29"]lol, yea I over dressed for an auditing project. I went in with a suit(over dressed) plus as I walk in of course it was casual Friday, so that made it even worse.Allicrombie

Then there's the exact opposite, the people that really under dress. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that think black jeans and black boots or skate shoes are dressing up for an interview. If I was doing interviews, and someone came in wearing jeans, I'd immediately thank them for their time and move to the next person.

I've seen people wear Tshirts to interviews. I was like, seriously? What are you even doing here? :lol:

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pirate700

Suit and Tie and you can never go wrong.

Also, appear energetic and interested. Pay attention!

flazzle

In the 21st century, a suit and tie is way overdressed for most non-corporate interviews. It can make you look like a goofball if nobody else is dressed up like that and goofball isn't a good look in any interview.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]Then there's the exact opposite, the people that really under dress. I'm always amazed at the amount of people that think black jeans and black boots or skate shoes are dressing up for an interview. If I was doing interviews, and someone came in wearing jeans, I'd immediately thank them for their time and move to the next person.

Pirate700

I've seen people wear Tshirts to interviews. I was like, seriously? What are you even doing here? :lol:

yeah, we went to this movie at the Disney Theater in Hollywood a few years ago and I dressed up, and so did John, but we saw people there in t shirts and shorts and John was like, "geez, I could have just worn a bathrobe." lol
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Where a suit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Where a suit.DaBrainz
Maybe he has one at his house, he could probably get one at a clothing store too
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700

Where a suit.DaBrainz
There a suit.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Dress like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDEIES3oPOjUXdyZtShU6

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Where a suit.Pirate700

There a suit.

Everywhere a suit suit. meh spelling...
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

If you got a blazer, use it, have a white dress shirt under and maybe some nice jeans or compliment color khakis if you have em

Also use a brown belt and some brown shoes. black is a bit boring. That's optional though.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

It's a retail job. Wear a polo shirt and khaki pants. A suit will make you look like a tool. Also, a "group interview" doesn't sound too promising, so keep your expectations low.  Employers who actually want to hire you usually don't make a big thing of the interview process, and certainly aren't going to call you to some silly group session. 

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

It's a retail job. Wear a polo shirt and khaki pants. A suit will make you look like a tool. Also, a "group interview" doesn't sound too promising, so keep your expectations low.  Employers who actually want to hire you usually don't make a big thing of the interview process, and certainly aren't going to call you to some silly group session. 

bigfoot2045
"group interview" is standard for this company, its gonna be 1h30min long.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pirate700

[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

Trender_man

"group interview" is standard for this company, its gonna be 1h30min long.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck.  :)

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

If you got a blazer, use it, have a white dress shirt under and maybe some nice jeans or compliment color khakis if you have em

Also use a brown belt and some brown shoes. black is a bit boring. That's optional though.

supa_badman
Really your belt and shoes should go well with your jacket. Black goes well with almost anything, which is why black belts and black shoes are so common. And your shoes must be the same colour as your belt! But wearing a blazer and dress shirt to a retail interview seems excessive to me. As I said before, TC, polo shirt and nice pants.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

harashawn

Really your belt and shoes should go well with your jacket. Black goes well with almost anything, which is why black belts and black shoes are so common. And your shoes must be the same colour as your belt! But wearing a blazer and dress shirt to a retail interview seems excessive to me. As I said before, TC, polo shirt and nice pants.

Psh I don't abide by those rules. My entire co op I wore mostly black boots, khakis, a brown belt, and whatever dress shirt.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Wear clothes similar to what you'll be selling (for some reason I'm assuming this is clothes, but google tells me no) or what the people you'd be serving would wear, and be upbeat but not annoyingly so. Don't try to show off, but jump in to give answers whenever you can. Enthusiasm and helpfulness drives sales, that's what they want. They'll probably ask you how to best assist a customer in x situation, how you would upsell (customer buys wine, ask them about a cheese pairing or something) etc. Basically just act really friendly and helpful and show them you know how to make sales.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Polo shirt and slacks
Yama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yama
Member since 2002 • 34151 Posts

Nothing but obvious procedure here. Be prepared to think in a business friendly mindset and answer in regards to the regulations more so than personal views.

check your avatar and sig,that should fit to your job perfectlySmashbrossive50

Funny because it's true.

CecilChups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CecilChups
Member since 2013 • 205 Posts

Wear a jean jacket with  no shirt on. Wear faded jeans with rips and tears and them and come in with your hair looking like ozzy.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#31 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Wear a jean jacket with  no shirt on. Wear faded jeans with rips and tears and them and come in with your hair looking like ozzy.

CecilChups

Don't forget the flip flops.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
Ask questions and have a note pad or something so you can or pretend to take notes.
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Where a suit.DaBrainz

A suit always looks good, no matter wear you go.

:P

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Business shirt, no tie. Tuck in your shirt, and make sure it's ironed. Iron dress pants, and wear it all with dress shoes. Be clean shaven, and get a haircut.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

hmmm, middle class and upper class? If you got the gift of gab the employer will hold you in high regurds if you can talk people into spending money. For any interview you should go suited up. As far as tips go... always remember the customer is right (even when they are obviously wrong). Your job is to sell product while being professional and charming.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Do some research on the company. Bring 2 copies of your resume, in a manilla folder. Be prepared to explain how you would handle an upset customer. Have one specific example of overcoming an obstacle with a solution(i.e. time frame, name of company you worked for, or the people involved). Ask a couple of questions when they ask if there are any questions.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Always go semi-formal.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

harashawn

After seeing that it was a job interview for a fancier grocery store, I'd agree that a blazer is over kill, but for the love of god, do not use a polo shirt nothing says 'i really put no effort into trying to impress you' like a polo shirt. Put on a nice shirt and elevate it somehow.