GOP senate candidate: pregnancy from rape is "something God intended"

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Conservatives have a major problem when it comes to abortion in the cases of rape. A lot of them don't see how that makes it any different. Franklinstein
It doesn't. If you believe life starts at conception, and should therefore be protected, it's inconsistent to say an exception should be made for rape. Does life somehow not start at conception if that conception isn't voluntary? If all life should be protected, how it got there is irrelevant.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Conservatives have a major problem when it comes to abortion in the cases of rape. A lot of them don't see how that makes it any different. Rhazakna
It doesn't. If you believe life starts at conception, and should therefore be protected, it's inconsistent to say an exception should be made for rape. Does life somehow not start at conception if that conception isn't voluntary? If all life should be protected, how it got there is irrelevant.

You've obviously never been raped and then gotten pregnant. If you had, you would probably feel different. If you were forced to carry the baby of a man who raped you, you would absolutely hate that baby. It would be a CONSTANT reminder of the person who raped you. You should really think about these kinds of things.
OyVay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 OyVay
Member since 2012 • 224 Posts
This makes me wanna just die.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Conservatives have a major problem when it comes to abortion in the cases of rape. A lot of them don't see how that makes it any different. Franklinstein

You've obviously never been raped and then gotten pregnant. If you had, you would probably feel different. If you were forced to carry the baby of a man who raped you, you would absolutely hate that baby. It would be a CONSTANT reminder of the person who raped you. You should really think about these kinds of things.

Talk about not reading his post properly.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Conservatives have a major problem when it comes to abortion in the cases of rape. A lot of them don't see how that makes it any different. Franklinstein

...And yet none of that has to do with a consistent pro-life position. If life starts at conception, the only consistent exception for abortion is if the mother's life is at risk. According to pro-lifers, life starts the moment any sperm fertilizes any egg, and therefore needs protection by the state. An involuntary conception doesn't change anything, given those premises. "Life starts at conception. Except in the cases of rape and incest. Then it starts sometime later, I guess." Not a consistent position. A better one, arguably, but not consistent.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"] It doesn't. If you believe life starts at conception, and should therefore be protected, it's inconsistent to say an exception should be made for rape. Does life somehow not start at conception if that conception isn't voluntary? If all life should be protected, how it got there is irrelevant.

Talk about not reading his post properly.

Some people don't seem to comprehend that arguing for a position's consistency is not the same thing as arguing for that position.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Wait guys, I thought the body could shut pregnancy down in cases of rape, or at least legitimate rape.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#58 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="cslayer211"]Stupid comment, but the title is really misleading. He never said that rape was "a gift from God", rather that no matter how life begins, it's a gift from God.HoolaHoopMan
I'm so glad that God includes rape in his grand scheme of things. Such a benevolent being.

How would you feel if you found out you were a product of rape?
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I love it when God gives us precious little rape babies.

Serraph105
rape babies=rapies such creatures shall henceforth be known as rapies
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#60 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

22Toothpicks

That gives me an awful image in my head.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Serraph105"]

shadowkiller11

That gives me an awful image in my head.

u sick fawk
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Haha, grown man believes in God!
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Its amusing that people who don't believe in God, are pointing the finger at God because someone was raped.

According to your "non beliefs", rape is just crime commited by man.

According to the religious, rape is also a crime commited by man.

So tell me, how does "GOD" fit in this equation? Because a woman becomes pregnant? Hmmm..... If God doesn't exist though, then how is it a fault of a non existant being?

Did the stork pay her a visit in her sleep? Or was it a mans violent act upon a woman that caused it due to natural acts of the human body?

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Politicians sure say the darndest things!

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Its amusing that people who don't believe in God, are pointing the finger at God because someone was raped.

So tell me, how does "GOD" fit in this equation? Because a woman becomes pregnant? Hmmm..... If God doesn't exist though, then how is it a fault of a non existant being?

Did the stork pay her a visit in her sleep? Or was it a mans violent act upon a woman that caused it due to natural acts of the human body?

norm41x
So because we don't believe in what we consider a fictional thing, we can't comment on it?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#66 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The GOP keeps digging it's self into a bigger and bigger whole, Romeny has openly supported him in the past, and he still does, he just doesn't support the comment. If Romney doesn't distance himself from this guy, it will no doubt hurt him in the election.

God does not intend for anyone to get raped. Period. It is an insensitive comment and it's simply wrong. I belive in God, but I know God loves people, I am pro life however I am willing to make an exception in rare cases of rape, incest, or life of the mother. Those I can live with.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 norm41x
[QUOTE="norm41x"]

Treflis
So because we don't believe in what we consider a fictional thing, we can't comment on it?

Commenting on it is fine, people should be able to share opinions, but to blame what doesn't exist? I don't see how that makes sense.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

He's a sh!tbag all right.ghoklebutter

this is highly insulting to actual bags of sh!t

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 norm41x

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]He's a sh!tbag all right.wis3boi

Haha, even the ones that are set on fire in the front of peoples doors?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]He's a sh!tbag all right.norm41x

Haha, even the ones that are set on fire in the front of peoples doors?

even they are ashamed of this man

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 norm41x

Lmao.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts
I've been mulling this over for a long time now (this argument isn't new), and I struggle to see how it makes any sense at all.

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 wis3boi

I've been mulling this over for a long time now (this argument isn't new), and I struggle to see how it makes any sense at all.

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred. mattbbpl

iff there is a god, the GOP is perhaps his test to see who falls for their sh!t :P

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Rhazakna

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred. mattbbpl
If you're a Calvinist, rape is indeed intended by god.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I've been mulling this over for a long time now (this argument isn't new), and I struggle to see how it makes any sense at all.

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred. Rhazakna

This guy clearly stated he didn't believe that in later comments.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#76 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
American Christianity is becoming the biggest farce in the world right now. Words cannot express.
Well after all, God did rape Mary......Jazz_Fan
Nope, it was consensual. She gave a big, emphatic "Yes!". It's the one most important points in Christianity.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Yep not shocked that this is coming from the same party that had only one woman on two panels in speaking out against healthcare covering female contraception..
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 wis3boi

Yep not shocked that this is coming from the same party that had only one woman on two panels in speaking out against healthcare covering female contraception.. sSubZerOo

don't forget hurricanes are designed to take out the gay people in the south

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I've been mulling this over for a long time now (this argument isn't new), and I struggle to see how it makes any sense at all.

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred. Rhazakna

If you don't make an exception for rape victims, you have to say rape is intended by God. Either rape is intended by God, or babies that are the product of rape aren't intended by God; and if you do make an exception for rape victims, then you have to also admit life doesn't begin at conception. Or at least that some lives are ok to abort.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I've been mulling this over for a long time now (this argument isn't new), and I struggle to see how it makes any sense at all.

It seems we are to blankly state that pregnancies resulting from rape are intended by God, but rapes themselves are not intended by God. Mulling that over, it seems hard to logically attribute the results as a gift from God while also holding that the means by which they occurred as an evil act to be abhorred. Franklinstein

If you don't make an exception for rape victims, you have to say rape is intended by God. Either rape is intended by God, or babies that are the product of rape aren't intended by God; and if you do make an exception for rape victims, then you have to also admit life doesn't begin at conception. Or at least that some lives are ok to abort.

I suppose you're talking about the Judeo-Christian God. If you aren't, then my apologies.

God intends every human soul to rejoin him in Heaven. It's not as if that's actually happening.

In fact the entire Judeo-Christian drama is the complete and utter human failure to do as God intends. God provides an Eden; it is rejected. God frees His people; it is rejected. God sends a Messiah; He is rejected.

The flip side of all the sin and suffering, is that God can and does provide something good. Each and every one of those pivotal moments in the Judaism and Christianity was born out of a previous failure on humanity's part.

It applies at a microscopic level as well. God intends unconditional love for our neighbours (Jesus's second commandment). Rape rejects that. Any act of sex has a chance of causing pregnancy, as it was intended, and which is an important reason as to why Christianity observes strict monogamy. But if pregnancy occurs from rape, the wrong action would be to abort. Again, it's a rejection of the second commandment.

The folly is to think rape or abortion gratifies the soul. None of them do, which is why God disallows both. No person comes out feeling a better man after a rape. No woman wants to have to make the decision of having an abortion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Ugh... I'm a pro-lifer but this guy pisses me off...
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Rhazakna
Ugh... I'm a pro-lifer but this guy pisses me off...The-Apostle
Why? Does the idea that life starts at conception somehow not apply to rape?
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Ugh... I'm a pro-lifer but this guy pisses me off...Rhazakna

It does apply to rape. I'm just offended by his "God intended it..." comment.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Ugh... I'm a pro-lifer but this guy pisses me off...The-Apostle

Yeah, it's an ignorant statement to make.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"] Why? Does the idea that life starts at conception somehow not apply to rape?

Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing. I mean it's a horrible thing to believe but if you believe what certain Christians do then he's not wrong about their belief.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Ugh... I'm a pro-lifer but this guy pisses me off...The-Apostle

The Bible says god numbers the hair on your head. Does god intend the children who are born or not? If so, why doesn't god intend the children spawned by rape?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="The-Apostle"] It does apply to rape. I'm just offended by his "God intended it..." comment.

Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing.

Nope, that's bad theology. I'll repost from the last page: God also intends every human soul to rejoin him in Heaven. It's not as if that's actually happening. In fact the entire Judeo-Christian drama is the complete and utter human failure to do as God intends. God provides an Eden; it is rejected. God frees His people; it is rejected. God sends a Messiah; He is rejected. The flip side of all the sin and suffering, is that God can and does provide something good. Each and every one of those pivotal moments in the Judaism and Christianity was born out of a previous failure on humanity's part. It applies at a microscopic level as well. God intends unconditional love for our neighbours (Jesus's second commandment). Rape rejects that. Any act of sex has a chance of causing pregnancy, as it was intended, and which is an important reason as to why Christianity observes strict monogamy. But if pregnancy occurs from rape, the wrong action would be to abort. Again, it's a rejection of the second commandment. The folly is to think rape or abortion gratifies the soul. None of them do, which is why God disallows both. No person comes out feeling a better man after a rape. No woman wants to have to make the decision of having an abortion.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] Yeah, it's an ignorant statement to make.

Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing.

Nope, that's bad theology. I'll repost from the last page: God also intends every human soul to rejoin him in Heaven. It's not as if that's actually happening. In fact the entire Judeo-Christian drama is the complete and utter human failure to do as God intends. God provides an Eden; it is rejected. God frees His people; it is rejected. God sends a Messiah; He is rejected. The flip side of all the sin and suffering, is that God can and does provide something good. Each and every one of those pivotal moments in the Judaism and Christianity was born out of a previous failure on humanity's part. It applies at a microscopic level as well. God intends unconditional love for our neighbours (Jesus's second commandment). Rape rejects that. Any act of sex has a chance of causing pregnancy, as it was intended, and which is an important reason as to why Christianity observes strict monogamy. But if pregnancy occurs from rape, the wrong action would be to abort. Again, it's a rejection of the second commandment. The folly is to think rape or abortion gratifies the soul. None of them do, which is why God disallows both. No person comes out feeling a better man after a rape. No woman wants to have to make the decision of having an abortion.

There's nothing in the bible that condemns rape specifically. In fact, in the OT god commands the Israelites to slaughter tribes and take their women (presumably as sex slaves). Also, the idea that humanity rejects god is pretty inconsistent with the concept of omniscience, unless god is creating these things knowing how it'll turn out, in which case he's rather sadistic.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Ace6301
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] Yeah, it's an ignorant statement to make.

Trying to find that comic with God sitting on earth saying "Why am I such a dumb dumb" but I can't. Point is for an all powerful being he sure doesn't do very well at his job. Actually that kind of explains why he's so needy. Also funny story about the OT. If a woman is raped she's supposed to marry her rapist. But if a woman isn't a virgin when she marries she's supposed to be stoned to death. So...if a woman is raped you basically stone her to death. Far as I can remember nothing so drastic happens to the rapist.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing.

There's nothing in the bible that condemns rape specifically. In fact, in the OT god commands the Israelites to slaughter tribes and take their women (presumably as sex slaves). Also, the idea that humanity rejects god is pretty inconsistent with the concept of omniscience, unless god is creating these things knowing how it'll turn out, in which case he's rather sadistic.

Thing is this is a red herring anyway. God is an all powerful being who crafted man. Women can get pregnant when raped (contrary to what some US politicians may believe). When you're dealing with an all powerful being anything that can be done is an intended feature. All powerful, all knowing beings don't make mistakes and if they do they are not all powerful and all knowing. If God put that feature in to test us than frankly he's worse than...well literally anything. It could easily be remedied by saying God is in fact not all powerful or all seeing.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing.

You're using a Protestant deficiency, sola scriptura. Even stranger, you're trying to extrapolate the sex slave bit from the sola scriptura deficiency. There are many apparent hypocrisies in the Bible. One of the least perceived ones (ironically), is the idea that one of the Ten Commandments is not to kill. And then later on in Deuteronomy God essentially asks the Israelites to wipe out the tribes in the Promised Land to install Israel. Just because rape is not specified does not mean it is not condemned. Like I said, it violates Jesus's second commandment, to love one's neighbour, unless you want to try figure out a way you can rape and love someone at the same time. There are no contradictions in the Bible. Just really bad readings of them.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Why? If you believe God is an all powerful being that crafted mankind the way they are he did indeed intend for such a thing.

Trying to find that comic with God sitting on earth saying "Why am I such a dumb dumb" but I can't. Point is for an all powerful being he sure doesn't do very well at his job. Actually that kind of explains why he's so needy. Also funny story about the OT. If a woman is raped she's supposed to marry her rapist. But if a woman isn't a virgin when she marries she's supposed to be stoned to death. So...if a woman is raped you basically stone her to death. Far as I can remember nothing so drastic happens to the rapist.

So you know what God's job is as an all powerful being?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Ace6301
[One of the least perceived ones (ironically), is the idea that one of the Ten Commandments is not to kill.FrozenLiquid
Really? I see people call that out all the time. I mean God even tells people to kill others. In general the Bible is pretty silly (also kind of horrific) if you take everything literally.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][One of the least perceived ones (ironically), is the idea that one of the Ten Commandments is not to kill.Ace6301
Really? I see people call that out all the time. I mean God even tells people to kill others. In general the Bible is pretty silly (also kind of horrific) if you take everything literally.

No, no one calls out that specific example. And like I said, it's a perfectly easy trap to fall into. Yes, God commanded the Israelites not to kill. Yes, God asked the Israelites to kill the tribes of Promised Land without mercy. Here's the strange thing: in the one thousand years between Exodus/Deuteronomy was first written, and the canonization of the Christian Bible, not one person thought to edit out that apparent contradiction. There's food for thought there.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 wis3boi

There are no contradictions in the Bible. Just really bad readings of them. FrozenLiquid

l

o

l

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Read about that earlier today. I doubt he would say that if it happened to his own kin...

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Rhazakna

You're using a Protestant deficiency, sola scriptura. Even stranger, you're trying to extrapolate the sex slave bit from the sola scriptura deficiency. There are many apparent hypocrisies in the Bible. One of the least perceived ones (ironically), is the idea that one of the Ten Commandments is not to kill. And then later on in Deuteronomy God essentially asks the Israelites to wipe out the tribes in the Promised Land to install Israel. Just because rape is not specified does not mean it is not condemned. Like I said, it violates Jesus's second commandment, to love one's neighbour, unless you want to try figure out a way you can rape and love someone at the same time. There are no contradictions in the Bible. Just really bad readings of them. FrozenLiquid

As I understand it, sola scriptura is the idea that all knowledge of Christian salvation is in the scriptures. I'm not extrapolating anything from that. God commands women be spared, and taken by the Israelites. There's no reason to do this, unless you're using them for breeding, which would by necessity involve rape. Is there some extra-scriptural thing that contradicts or justifies this? If not, I don't see what the supposed deficiency of sola scriptura has to do with this.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] There are no contradictions in the Bible. Just really bad readings of them. wis3boi

l

o

l

More proof that without Christianity and its establishment of universities and advanced education for purposes of justice and reason, we'd all make idiotic replies at each other.

But you may try throw some arguments instead of degenerating the discussion.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Just because rape is not specified does not mean it is not condemned.FrozenLiquid

Raping female prisoners of war was probably a pretty common practice back then; in fact, it's always been a very common war practice. So, it's odd how it didn't occur to God to make it obvious to people that raping female prisoners of war is bad - unless, of course, he had no problem with it in the first place.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][One of the least perceived ones (ironically), is the idea that one of the Ten Commandments is not to kill.FrozenLiquid

No, no one calls out that specific example. And like I said, it's a perfectly easy trap to fall into. Yes, God commanded the Israelites not to kill. Yes, God asked the Israelites to kill the tribes of Promised Land without mercy. Here's the strange thing: in the one thousand years between Exodus/Deuteronomy was first written, and the canonization of the Christian Bible, not one person thought to edit out that apparent contradiction. There's food for thought there.

Well I mean back then no, they didn't call it out. But I see people call out basically all the hypocrisies in the Bible all the time, it's like a large part of the internets second favorite past time (after cats). To be fair to Deuteronomy it has a lot of really terrible stuff that no one should listen to. Like the whole stoning non-virgin wives to death thing I mentioned earlier. As for God's "job": Guy claims to be benevolent and all powerful. Spent several thousand years being a massive ass to humanity and manipulating us while saying we have free will and he won't manipulate us. Honestly if I had to take a meta guess as to what God is I'd say a petulant child of some kind of super species or Satan has a really genius sense of humour. But I don't believe in the Bible. I find it hard to believe a book that claims to be the word of God while advocating a bunch of things that are counter productive to a functional society.