Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44845 Posts

Hi All

Just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited to try it out, mostly for the Star Wars stuff (currently reading the Darth Vader series, and it is incredible).

With that said, I'd like to make the most of it, so can you recommend any good comic series? I'd love to read some X-Men in particular, but honestly have no idea where to start.

I am open to everything though. Thanks!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts

Alias (Jessica Jones) is quite good and much more connected to the Marvel Universe than the Netflix show was.

Marvel 1602 is also awesome.

Civil War was good but it kind of loses steam toward the end.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 44908 Posts

I can't unfortunately. I tried to get back into comics but I just couldn't. It's so....dumb.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

Damn I thought I'd have more replies by now haha.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39144 Posts

@mrbojangles25: While I can't say which Marvel comics you should get into, each Marvel hero has it's own good and not so good. But as a Marvel fan, it's hard to say which comic to start off but maybe this list would give you an idea:

Link: Marvel Comics

Edit: Nova & X-Men have always been my favorite so I'd go for those.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrbojangles25

@davillain- said:

@mrbojangles25: While I can't say which Marvel comics you should get into, each Marvel hero has it's own good and not so good. But as a Marvel fan, it's hard to say which comic to start off but maybe this list would give you an idea:

Link: Marvel Comics

Edit: Nova & X-Men have always been my favorite so I'd go for those.

Cheers, thank you for the suggestions.

As I said, my mind is open, but what I'm looking for is to start a new series/era fresh. I don't want to come in halfway through or read some one-offs unless it's something I am familiar with (like Star Wars).

Oh and despite the shitty movie, Jean Gray/Phoenix has always interested me, wondering where I should start with that character.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22524 Posts

Giant Size X-Men #1 is the start of the new era of X-Men, usually cited as one of their best single comics

If you like Jean Grey, Dark Phoenix Saga is the go-to. She was kind of sparsely used before that. X-Factor is perhaps her next biggest arc after that, and she didn't really get a starring role until the most recent run, Ressurxtion, though I hear that's great. You can also browse by character in MU, so try just typing her name in.

Even though it's not as acclaimed, I like Fall of the Mutants, mostly because you see the team dealing with a lot of hardship and indecision. It's a crossover between all the X-books, so you can get a taste of the other titles. The classic X-Men run was when they split into two series, X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. You can look those up by series in MU. New X-Men is also widely acclaimed. Most people think X-Men went off the rails after this, but Avengers vs. X-Men is still pretty well-regarded. The jury's still a little split on their recent House of X/Powers of X/Dawn of X titles, but a lot of people are saying they're at least putting some new spins on old characters.

I would also try branching out into other characters. The sixties Spider-Man and Fantastic Four titles are great, and generally any Spider-Man comic before the Clone Saga will be high quality. I like the early Hulk stories too, the ones from his second solo comic. Avengers really picks up in the seventies, but some of their best stories are in the 00's (Secret Wars, Dark Reign, Secret Invasion, Civil War). I'd definitely at least check out the Korvac Saga.

I could probably go on for a while, there's usually at least one good series for every major character, so you should just decide which characters you like and Google their best arcs. Frank Miller's work on Daredevil and Wolverine is usually pretty highly regarded, so those might be options for you. I think you can search MU by creator, too.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5397 Posts

Dang... Davill...

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2713 Posts

just watched movie Black Panther. Nice high tech storyline.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HEATHEN75  Online
Member since 2018 • 916 Posts

Introduce yourself to some Moon Knight before they roll out the Disney series. Has had at least 5 different series that have all run their course already. 1st series ran in the early 80's with the last wrapping up just last year. Think of a schizophrenic Batman that kills and maims while arguing with patron/god.

The 1st series is my favorite as it has Bill Sienkiewicz's awesome shaded artwork.

For some Xmen I would recommend the Mutant Massacre storyline and Joss Whedon's Astonishing Xmen run.

Emersoncole88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emersoncole88
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

I was always into the mutants Xmen Xforce. I am getting into more DC characters now. But marvel is still my fav. I hope they make a X force movie after Deadpool 3. Theres this too https://mobile.twitter.com/emersoncole8

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57013 Posts

Old man Logan series. The thor series about the god killer. Off the top of my head.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

@heathen75 said:

...Think of a schizophrenic Batman that kills and maims while arguing with patron/god.

you had me at "schizophrenic batman".

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HEATHEN75  Online
Member since 2018 • 916 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Let me know what you think.

Sonicare's Old Man Logan suggestion is a good one too.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22524 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Isn't Batman already schizophrenic?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@heathen75 said:

@mrbojangles25: Let me know what you think.

Sonicare's Old Man Logan suggestion is a good one too.

I just started reading that, actually. Loving the atmosphere. The Hulk Gang? Hell yeah. I have no idea what is going on to be honest but neither does Logan lol. He just wakes up in the past and starts killing fools :D

naazaniqua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 naazaniqua
Member since 2019 • 12 Posts

If you are a fan of the movie or television in 2015, the cultural dominance superhero will not come as a surprise to you-water-wet, the sky is blue, and two "Avengers" movie has made a billion dollars each.

Best Marvel comic series are:

1. Captain America

2. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.

3. Hawkeye

4. Ms. Marvel

5. X-Force

6. Astonishing X-Men

7. Ultimate Spider-Man

8. Daredevil