Good horror books?

Posted by Arsality294 (16 posts) -

Does anybody know any good books that have a bunch of short horror stories like Mr. Nightmare/Unit#522 style?

Thanks

#1 Posted by Volsung (261 posts) -

Lovecraft

#2 Posted by mattbbpl (16891 posts) -

@volsung said:

Lovecraft

I second this, but I'll be a little more discriminating. I'd recommend steering clear of anything in the Dream Cycle until later. At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and The Dunwich Horror are great places to start. They're excellent intros to most of his core concepts and a little more... grounded and accessible. It looks like The Colour Out of Space will be getting a movie soon, so that may play into your considerations.

Stephen King has some great short story collections like Nightmares and Dreamscapes, The Night Shift, and Skeleton Crew. I LOVE his short story collections because they tend to have an experimental feel to them.

I feel like I have to mention Poe here because he's so darned good at the format, but language and ambition get in the way here more than the other two. I'd tackle him after getting a good grip on Lovecraft.

#3 Posted by Arsality294 (16 posts) -

Thanks both of you, I started reading At The Mountains of Madness and I'm enjoying it so far

#4 Edited by lensflare15 (6652 posts) -

If you enjoy demented ghost stories, "Conference with the Dead" by Terry Lamsley is one you should check out (though it's a bit obscure and hard to find). The stories are set in the modern day UK but when you read them it feels like you're learning about a much more ancient and disturbing place. I only read it once, about 4 years ago, but every story in that book still stands out to me. Another favorite of mine that I'll strongly reccomend is Richard Matheson's "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet". Matheson was a famous author who wrote several of the best Twilight Zone episodes, as well as the novel that the Will Smith movie "I Am Legend" is based on. Nearly every story in Nightmare... is awesome, and I can't recommend it enough to people who like imaginative and bizarre horror stories that are set in seemingly normal settings.

#5 Posted by johnd13 (9659 posts) -

@mattbbpl: I actually started reading At the Mountains of Madness not too long ago. While it's intriguing, I find it a little hard to read through. English is not my primary language but in the past I've read books in English with no trouble.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

The Excorist is really good and helps you appreciate how good an adaption the movie is.

One thing I do notice, the movies alternate downbeat ending is slightly better, the book feels a need to end on a happy irrelivant note and feels slightly at odds? But I guess that's the point? Wasn't keen on it.

Looking forward to reading Legion.

#7 Posted by mattbbpl (16891 posts) -

@johnd13: Lovecraft idolized Poe, which instilled in him a love of olde English and dense prose. It takes some getting used to.

#8 Posted by johnd13 (9659 posts) -

@mattbbpl: That explains a lot.

#9 Posted by saisaanvi (5 posts) -

Actually, I am interested in horror stories, thanks for sharing the best horror names which I haven't yet read that, Today I will start to read.

#10 Posted by ycdeo (2683 posts) -

book name

Evil eyes.

#11 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4702 posts) -

Thomas Ligotti's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_MlOi81OQ

#12 Posted by revceo (4 posts) -

@volsung said:

Lovecraft

The best book I ever read

#13 Posted by Sweet6teen (16 posts) -

Check out Dean Koontz books. You're welcome.

#14 Posted by PernicioEnigma (6040 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

The Excorist is really good and helps you appreciate how good an adaption the movie is.

One thing I do notice, the movies alternate downbeat ending is slightly better, the book feels a need to end on a happy irrelivant note and feels slightly at odds? But I guess that's the point? Wasn't keen on it.

I was going to recommend The Exorcist too. I read it last month and it's a genuinely creepy book. What's the alternate ending in the movie?

#15 Edited by uninspiredcup (32191 posts) -

@PernicioEnigma said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I was going to recommend The Exorcist too. I read it last month and it's a genuinely creepy book. What's the alternate ending in the movie?

I can't exactly remember but it has a different couple of cuts. Some footage was lost as well that was re-intruced, like the Spider-walk which was in the book wasn't it? Except she' doesn't come down the stair she's walking behind Sharon? Again been a a good year since I read it. I'm kind of glad it wasn't in the movie, the tongue flick looks really goofy.

I didn't like the optimistic ending where it jumps from lightly talking about movies. It should have been downer or ended abrupt as Karris died to be make it more impactful.

-

The one scene I love that the book actually does improve upon is this. It's still really close to it, but I much prefer the books version.

Loading Video...

In the book, as you're aware ofc, he looks at the ceiling trying to sense the presence of evil, almost not listing to everyone around him, goes up to the room and comes down again. Later we learn from Sharon that they just stared at each other and the demon said "This time you will lose" which the movie doesn't bring up.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#16 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18776 posts) -

@arsality294: He is an acquired taste because of how dark he is, but the past year and a half I've been reading the output of Jack Ketchum and he is fantastic. sure, some of his books are better than others, but most of them are a solid worth reading and the best ones are truly harrowing and make you feel bad in a way that other authors can't seem to do.

For a phenomenal short story collection, I would highly recommend We Live Inside You by Jeremy Robert Johnson. The man is an extremely underrated writer and nails everything he does.

For more mainstream stuff, check out Paul Tremblay. My personal favorite of his is Disappearance at Devil's Rock but Head Full of Ghosts is great too.

#17 Posted by Randoggy (3442 posts) -

Check out Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker. Not a collection of short stories but the book isn't long at all. .

#18 Posted by AFBrat77 (26694 posts) -

The Relic is a worthy read.

#19 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

Goosebumps?

Depends on your age.

Edgar Allen Poe, maybe the first horror author are almost all short stories.

I read Tim and Tobias books when I was about 6 but then I am dead smart.

14+ The Dark is Rising trilogy. But they are long books.

I reckon Mary Shelley is a good read.

#21 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

@srzpbn2:

It not so good.

#24 Posted by mattbbpl (16891 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

I reckon Mary Shelley is a good read.

Wow, Frankenstein is a great recommendation, I'm not sure how it slipped my mind.

#25 Posted by Kadin_Kai (245 posts) -

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is excellent! It’s basically a sequel to Dracula!

#26 Posted by ycdeo (2683 posts) -

nice read

book name

The millionair next door.