Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57180 Posts

Looking for some recommendations.

I've read many of the classics like Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Shannara Series, Sabriel, etc.

Read GRR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice, but have come to likely understanding that the series will never finish. I've read another good unfinished series by Patrick Rothfuss called The Name of the Wind - which is really good, but also in limbo at the moment.

Tried reading this series called "Fall of the Malazan Empire" or something like that, but just couldnt get into it. Any great series recommendations?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16317 Posts

Try The Elenium series by David Eddings. Maybe even his Belgariad series, which seems to be quite a bit more popular.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 11056 Posts

I'll throw you a curve ball and recommend a sci-fi trilogy instead. Try out the Dark Forest trilogy. Some interesting themes and tackles the fermi paradox in a unique way.

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sonicare

@br0kenrabbit said:

Try The Elenium series by David Eddings. Maybe even his Belgariad series, which seems to be quite a bit more popular.

I read two series by Edding. One was the Belgariad, not sure if the second was called the Elenium or the mallorean.

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sonicare
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'll throw you a curve ball and recommend a sci-fi trilogy instead. Try out the Dark Forest trilogy. Some interesting themes and has a tackles the fermi paradox in a unique way.

I appreciate it. Like that genre, too.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16317 Posts

@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'll throw you a curve ball and recommend a sci-fi trilogy instead. Try out the Dark Forest trilogy. Some interesting themes and has a tackles the fermi paradox in a unique way.

I appreciate it. Like that genre, too.

Well, then...

Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward. It's about life on a neutron star, and you follow the Cheela (little sesame-seed sized creatures) from their initial formation through their whole history to their discovery and interactions with us. Only, since they formed of nuclear chemistry as opposed to atomic chemistry, they live 1,000 times faster than we do. It makes things all so very interesting.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3470 Posts

I have not read Wheel of Time, but everyone I know who has says it's amazing. Like if Song of Ice and Fire took place over multiple generations. 14 books long, and the series is complete.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

It's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45619 Posts

I recommend the novel Grunts by Mary Gentle.

Imagine Warcraft, except the orcs for whatever reason stumble across an armory of modern weapons.

I won't say it's the best book, or significant in any way...but it's a fun read.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 45127 Posts

Since you couldn't get into Malazan, I'd say stormlight archive. It's not done yet, but Brandon is good with releasing books.

Also the first law trilogy by joe Abercrombie is just awesome.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1005 Posts

Just finished this series last week. 5 books total, all published already so no waiting 5 years for the lazy ass author to finish his damn series.

About a world where demons rise from the ground when the sun goes down and people spend their nights hiding in their homes behind magic wards that repel the demons. One man, tired of hiding takes it upon himself to go in search of the lost battle wards that allowed people to stand against the demons.

The Demon Cycle is the name of the series. The Warded Man is book 1.

@Chutebox said:

Since you couldn't get into Malazan, I'd say stormlight archive. It's not done yet, but Brandon is good with releasing books.

Also the first law trilogy by joe Abercrombie is just awesome.

Brandon Sanderson writes some good books. Stormlight Archive and the Mistborn series were both damn good.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79814 Posts

The earlier Terry Goodkind books were amazing. The series is called Sword of Truth, and the initial story was 12 books, ending with Confessor. He took a few years off writing, switched publishers and hasn't been the same since. His recent books are pretty terrible.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27019 Posts

I am enjoying Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoy a lot about the 2 books so far, however I dislike the sometimes... nerdy way in which this system of magic is described. And what I notice in fantasy books is that combat sequences are tough to do well. In these books they are OK. Sometimes cool, novel, but sometimes a bit... I guess technical and impractical at best. What stands out to me is the humor and uniqueness of the world sketched, and the way it is set up. A cool protagonist, and a cool adversary.

Though... looking at your list, I still think (the first) The Witcher books are the best fantasy I've read so far. For me they kind of beat The Lord of the Rings even though I recognise it is objectively a different calibre of writing. Tolkien has mastered the art of the otherworldly languages and uses this to great effect in the shaping of his world. Also it feels like it has been 20 years since I read The Lord of the Rings so it's tough to compare by memory alone.

So I would recommend The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski which is pretty standalone, a series of short stories. You won't feel bad about stopping after the first book if it ends up not being your thing. And if you enjoy it a lot then you have a new series to dig in to. This has a lot of good humor, a pretty interesting world, a couple of very interesting characters, and it's the first fantasy series I ever read where I don't dislike the combat sequences much.