Godzilla 2014: Did You Enjoy it? [SPOILERS]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I saw this year's Godzilla today. It was decent. The parts without Godzilla were alright overall. Seeing actual atomic weapons test footage was intense. The acting was good.

In anticipation of seeing Godzilla in full view and in action for quite some time, I was nearly at the edge of my seat, but that does not occur until near the end and by that point, almost the entire battle was partially obscured by a dust cloud. However, the director played that as a strength of the film when he was powering the iconic atomic breath attack. At first, I could only see Godzilla's tail and then the rest of his spine illuminated, and I could see most of his body. It is probably my second favorite moment in the film. My favorite one was when Godzilla finally arose after the battle. If those parasite monsters had killed him, I would have been disappointed.

Godzilla looks meaner than ever before and that roar was awesome.

I hope for a sequel with Godzilla not covered by a dust cloud for too long like this one.

For those who saw it:

Was it enjoyable for you (Hopefully the only people reading this thread have seen it since I would rather not spoil a film for anyone)?

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I too was anticipating when Godzilla would be onscreen and when he was I was not disappointed

Zelda99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Zelda99
Member since 2004 • 770 Posts

It was good, too many problems with the film for me to really have enjoyed it, even as i was watching it. I would see it again though.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By branketra

While I was watching Godzilla, I continually analyzed scenes while doing my best to enjoy it as a standalone film. That must have been because I had seen a trailer for it months ago and we talked about it extensively when the first image of Godzilla had been posted on the internet before that.

Zelda99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zelda99
Member since 2004 • 770 Posts

I couldn't enjoy the film that much because in damn near ever scene i analyzed it and found problems or things i disliked, i guess that's why i couldn't really get into the movie.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts

I fell asleep part way through (first time I've ever fallen asleep during a movie). There was some kinda cool action scenes, but they story line was terrible and boring

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

No.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I did not enjoy it. Too much bad actor, not enough good actor, story revolving around main character was nonsensical and the movie would have been better if every scene the protagonist was in he was in just got cut out unless a monster was on screen

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

No. It was extremely mediocre.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Didn't like it. It's been said by pretty much everyone at this point, getting rid of BC was a mistake. His son is boring.

Pacific Rim was a much better movie imo. It has the human element while also having fun. This doesn't.

Another thing that pisses me off is the lack of "wtf" from people. They react to explosions but actually seeing these huge creators about 200 meters away from them, they react like it's nothing lol.

Take Xmen Days of Future Past in the Paris scene. When Raven jumps out the window and starts morphing, people gasp and panic.

At one point in Godzilla, the thing wakes up, it's huge head about 20 meters away from people, they just stand like dolts. No reaction.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

The wimpy family drama killed it for me , yet awesome cinematography and ending 15 minutes was pure awesomness :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 branketra

@WickedChainy said:

I fell asleep part way through (first time I've ever fallen asleep during a movie). There was some kinda cool action scenes, but they story line was terrible and boring

I actually yawned at one point.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

It was entertaining at times, but they *really* screwed it up.

If they're going to spend 20 minutes introducing a great actor (Cranston) as a character that we care about who has all of the skills and motivations he needs to track down Godzilla...

...why focus on the son (who we don't care about, and has no motivation and one weirdly-specidic skill) at all?

Seriously, one simple rewrite - so that Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe are chasing the Mutos together - would have saved the whole film.

Also, **** the director for constantly cutting away during the fight scenes. Maybe building up to a fight scene for 20 minutes and then cutting away works as a nice tease once - but you *don't* do it four times within the first 90 minutes of the film.

Certainly not in a Godzilla film, anyway. If the monsters clash, we should damn well br watching the monsters. That's what we're there for!

Still, the three minutes of Godzilla at the end were pretty awesome, even if the enemies he was fighting were pathetic.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

I wasn't expecting much. I just saw it to see what Godzilla would look like with 2014 technology. I would rate it a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I only enjoyed the last 45 min. The human part was boring as hell. I liked very much the new Godzilla look though. Very threatning

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It was entertaining at times, but they *really* screwed it up.

If they're going to spend 20 minutes introducing a great actor (Cranston) as a character that we care about who has all of the skills and motivations he needs to track down Godzilla...

...why focus on the son (who we don't care about, and has no motivation and one weirdly-specidic skill) at all?

Seriously, one simple rewrite - so that Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe are chasing the Mutos together - would have saved the whole film.

Also, **** the director for constantly cutting away during the fight scenes. Maybe building up to a fight scene for 20 minutes and then cutting away works as a nice tease once - but you *don't* do it four times within the first 90 minutes of the film.

Certainly not in a Godzilla film, anyway. If the monsters clash, we should damn well br watching the monsters. That's what we're there for!

Still, the three minutes of Godzilla at the end were pretty awesome, even if the enemies he was fighting were pathetic.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the film.

I wish they would've went into more of how the monsters came to be. The whole thing with, "they lived under the ocean and fed on nuclear energy" was pretty lame and left a lot to be desired.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By branketra

@uninspiredcup said:

At one point in Godzilla, the thing wakes up, it's huge head about 20 meters away from people, they just stand like dolts. No reaction.

The reason for that might have been shown on a television during that film. When Godzilla is walking away, a television has a message asking if he is actually the savior of the city. With that in mind, those people possibly did not see Godzilla as the threat that the world powers did when they were trying to kill him.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@uninspiredcup said:

The reason for that might have been shown on a television during that film. When Godzilla is walking away, a television has a message asking if he is actually the savior of the city. With that in mind, those people possibly did not see Godzilla as the threat that the world powers did when they were trying to kill him.

I could genuinely see parts of the internet praising Godzilla if these events took place in real life, but it's the immediate people around Godzilla when he woke up that just didn't act like normal people would. Sure, if we ended up theorising that Godzilla was just acting on an evolutionary trait to wipe out the MUTOs before they reproduced, as it saw them as direct competition for the same food source, and we came to the rather iffy conclusion that it didn't see us as anything other than ants, then maybe I could see how we wouldn't feel threatened by it. But surely some time would have needed to pass without Godzilla continuing to wreck our shit, and with us studying the creatures and their behaviour, before we start to look at it as something other than an immediate threat.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's no worse than the black and white Japanese TV godzillas. It was good enough to spend a Sunday afternoon on (with family). That's all that mattered.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By branketra

@Brutal_Elitegs said:

@BranKetra said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I could genuinely see parts of the internet praising Godzilla if these events took place in real life, but it's the immediate people around Godzilla when he woke up that just didn't act like normal people would. Sure, if we ended up theorising that Godzilla was just acting on an evolutionary trait to wipe out the MUTOs before they reproduced, as it saw them as direct competition for the same food source, and we came to the rather iffy conclusion that it didn't see us as anything other than ants, then maybe I could see how we wouldn't feel threatened by it. But surely some time would have needed to pass without Godzilla continuing to wreck our shit, and with us studying the creatures and their behaviour, before we start to look at it as something other than an immediate threat.

Maybe there is another explanation: They were stunned to see Godzilla awaken.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
@BranKetra said:

Perhaps, but Ken Watanabe's character definitely looked like he was thankful to Godzilla for restoring balance or some nonsense like that.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 branketra

@Brutal_Elitegs said:
@BranKetra said:

Perhaps, but Ken Watanabe's character definitely looked like he was thankful to Godzilla for restoring balance or some nonsense like that.

He looked like he was in awe to me.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

So far it's my fav movie in 2014 out of the ones I've seen

• X-Men DOFP (pretty meh movie)
  • Amazing Spider-Man 2
  • Cap 2
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Yes. The gradual build-up led to something worthwhile. I actually felt a sense of awe when Godzilla first appeared.

Biggest problem was that the two most interesting characters were killed off quickly and we're left with a lead that's almost as dull as the one in Pacific Rim.

This is much, much better than Pacific Rim.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It was really good compared to most Godzilla movies. 8 out of 10 for me.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I enjoyed it. But I was also a bit disappointed. G wasn't nearly as terrifying as the trailers suggested (his roar was worse than his bite!). The other monsters had more on-screen time, which is probably the biggest flaw. And killing off the best actor in the movie so early, that was a cinematic crime.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I actually liked Pacific Rim way better simply because it succeeded at what it was trying to be. Pacific Rim was campy, over the top nonsenical monster action. But that's what it set about to be, let's have robots battling and that's the M.O. The story was stupid and predictable but it didn't care.

With Godzilla it tried to seem realistic, to build tension, to have a character piece spliced in but it failed miserably. One of the worst stories around, the main character had little to no impact on the final outcome of the story

spoiler:

had the main character not brought the bomb, not ridden it around and not disarmed it, had the whole character not existed the story would have been the same. You can cut his scenes out and the movie would be infinitely better. One of the worst acting performances I've ever seen, he deserves multiple razzies.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I haven't seen it yet, but I know I'm not going to like it. They already teased the fucking monster madness for months, why do you need to tease the action for 90 minutes into the movie. Hollywood is annoying.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

i saw the last 45 mins of it and it was terrible just like i had imagined. dont see what people see in this movie. xmen: dofp hell even maleficent was a better movie.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

It was Meh. Nothing too extraordinary. To tell you the truth, I totally forgot about its existence.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I really liked it but had issues that irked me

1. Killing cranston was dumb, however had the son been a well written and interesting character it wouldn't have been so much of an issue but
  2. THe son was boring and horribly written. If they were going for a ballsy bait and switch at least make it worth it
  3. Constantly cutting away from Godzilla, should have shown the entire Hawaii fight, and not cut away near as much in the San Fran fight
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#35 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Basically like Badrock47 except i didn't mind them killing Cranston. it's just that the replacement sucked and didn't live up to the same acting chops.

constantly cutting away from Godzilla just got really grating for me. it wasn't for the whole San Fran fight. the movie would of been a total loss for me.

Aside from that, the monster fights in San Fran was cool.\

enjoyed it well enough, but just didn't love like i did with Cap 2 and Xmen DOFP

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I fell asleep in it. I didn't even know Cranston died in it, until after it was finished and the people I watched it with told me.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

I was really disappointed with it the first time I saw it but I found it alot more enjoyable the second time I saw it in IMAX

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

It;s a slow-pace movie but it was good-zilla.... but the the winning part is the Human viewing amera angle watching at godzilla fighting. and godzila as a saviour...... unlike the stupid 1998 "no-dead-bodies) americanise version

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Biggest disappointment of the year thus far when it comes to movies.. First the most deceptive ad campaign I have ever seen with Brian Cranston in bait and switching a character with actual acting skills and emotion with some stupid ass wooden soldier that any jackass could have played with that role.. Literally the movie took a nose dive after Cranston died 30 minutes in and replaced us with a mannequin that was capable of running and saying a few lines..

What is the most irritating part of this all, are people trying to defend this sh!t movie and comparing Godzilla to movies like Alien and Jaws.. Both movie had exceptional human actors that you gave a sh!t about.. Both had tense environments that made both creatures iconic with how they were portrayed even with how little they were shown.. These were not one of those movies, especially with half the plot line being poorly conceived and stupid... I could have forgiven ALL of this if this movie didn't have dumbest ending I have ever seen in any movie out there.. In which Godzilla, a massive creature the people of earth publicly found out about, was venerated as a raptor Jesus at the end.. You know after he fought two monsters for unknown reasons, destroying two cities and killing who knows how many people.. Apparently impervious to human weaponry and is as tall as skyscraper.. People's reaction after the fight when he wakes up? Wide mouthed awe of some kind of hero that "saved" them.. I facepalmed so hard right there..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

It;s a slow-pace movie but it was good-zilla.... but the the winning part is the Human viewing amera angle watching at godzilla fighting. and godzila as a saviour...... unlike the stupid 1998 "no-dead-bodies) americanise version

Yep that would be my first reaction of two animals busting into my house ripping the sh!t out of it, while during that they killed numerous people.. After the battle, I would praise the victor as my messiah and bow before it... That makes great sense!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By branketra

The idea of Godzilla being a savior did indeed feel like a forced plot device than a genuine moment of synchronicity between Dr. Serizawa and the news station questioning if he truly is a savior. Toho recommending that would make sense since that is a theme of the Japanese Godzilla films.