GM suspends production of the Volt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

you're not buying a new battery, you're replacing it w/ a charged one.. kinda like a propane tank for a grill where you bring your empty tank and swap it for a new one. you're just paying for the fuel not the container for it.

comp_atkins

I still can't imagine it ever being feasible, except maybe when batteries can provide more than 30 hours of driving time.

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I'll take my 5.7L HEMI V8 that gets 27 mpg and is actually *gasp* fun to drive over an electric piece of trash any day.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#103 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

you're not buying a new battery, you're replacing it w/ a charged one.. kinda like a propane tank for a grill where you bring your empty tank and swap it for a new one. you're just paying for the fuel not the container for it.

comp_atkins

That would make the most sense.

Still, batteries aren't nearly as efficent as they need to be to support that and hydrogen power is quickly becoming affordable.

Pure electric cars with no on-board power station are just kind of a dream.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

airshocker

I still can't imagine it ever being feasible, except maybe when batteries can provide more than 30 hours of driving time.

how would it be any different from going to a gas station after 6-8 hours of driving time? we tolerate having to take a 5 minute break to refuel a car after 300-400 miles, why would someone not tolerate the same break to swap out a battery ( again, assuming a battery would get you that range which clearly they do not currently )?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

how would it be any different from going to a gas station after 6-8 hours of driving time? we tolerate having to take a 5 minute break to refuel a car after 300-400 miles, why would someone not tolerate the same break to swap out a battery ( again, assuming a battery would get you that range which clearly they do not currently )? comp_atkins

I'm sure it would be tolerable IF batteries did get that kind of range. Currently they don't.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]how would it be any different from going to a gas station after 6-8 hours of driving time? we tolerate having to take a 5 minute break to refuel a car after 300-400 miles, why would someone not tolerate the same break to swap out a battery ( again, assuming a battery would get you that range which clearly they do not currently )? airshocker

I'm sure it would be tolerable IF batteries did get that kind of range. Currently they don't.

Wait to see what people think is "feasible" when gas is $10-15 per gallon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Wait to see what people think is "feasible" when gas is $10-15 per gallon.Engrish_Major

I doubt gas would ever get that high and we better hope that it doesn't.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#108 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I just hope they eventually make something good out of electric automobiles.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Wait to see what people think is "feasible" when gas is $10-15 per gallon.airshocker

It's already close to $10/gallon in many European countries that don't subsidize the industry like in the US. And aren't subsidies one of the main things that you are angry about in this thread?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

It's already close to $10/gallon in many European countries that don't subsidize the industry like in the US. And aren't subsidies one of the main things that you are angry about in this thread?Engrish_Major

So subsidies will cause gas prices to rise to that price? I thought you libs keep saying that won't happen.

I never made mention of subsidies in this thread until just now.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

comp_atkins

It's not recycling in the sense of the propane tank, which is merely convenience, since steel is cheap and propane is usually in a big tank in the first place, so it's just easier to manage in a small one.

Batteries are recycled by taking all their internal components out, filtering some of it, throwing other bits away, melting parts down... the only directly recyclable piece of a battery is it's plastic case. All of this requires energy.

Also, batteries degrade over time because they're a closed system, the chemical reactions aren't perfect, and every round that they go through they lose some of their efficiency. There 'is' a probability that entropy will lower over time, same probability that you'll get the molecules in your hands to line and up go through your desk, but it's 'there'... but that'd still not produce 'free' energy, you'd lose mass as it converted into energy.

The huge benefit of fuels is that it's an open system, fuel goes in, gets burn (becomes entropic) and goes out, put new fuel in to start it all over. Much easier to reduce entropy via replacement, rather than re-refinement.

how would it be any different from going to a gas station after 6-8 hours of driving time? we tolerate having to take a 5 minute break to refuel a car after 300-400 miles, why would someone not tolerate the same break to swap out a battery ( again, assuming a battery would get you that range which clearly they do not currently )? comp_atkins
BWhHAHAHA, 30m vs 5m are you jokes? How obvious is that crap? And you want to replace the battery, how much is that going to cost, and manage? Are recharge stations going to just carry thousands of tons of extra batteries for consumers to load into their car?

Even if you get it's recharge down to the same time, then you have to deal with rebuilding all those batteries every 5 years (they won't last 10, people will drain them dry and over charge them)

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Wait to see what people think is "feasible" when gas is $10-15 per gallon.Engrish_Major

It's already close to $10/gallon in many European countries that don't subsidize the industry like in the US. And aren't subsidies one of the main things that you are angry about in this thread?

it's not higher in europe because of lack of subsidies.. it's because of more taxes..
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]It's already close to $10/gallon in many European countries that don't subsidize the industry like in the US. And aren't subsidies one of the main things that you are angry about in this thread?airshocker

So subsidies will cause gas prices to rise to that price? I thought you libs keep saying that won't happen.

I never made mention of subsidies in this thread until just now.

No, it's the subsidies that make it cheap in the US. And you were talking about credits given to people for cars/solar panels, etc. (i.e., subsidies)
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Engrish_Major
it's not higher in europe because of lack of subsidies.. it's because of more taxes..comp_atkins
Yes, taxes that actually are able to pay for the infrastructure. Gas taxes are way too low in the US.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

No, it's the subsidies that make it cheap in the US. And you were talking about credits given to people for cars/solar panels, etc. (i.e., subsidies)Engrish_Major

Not in a negative manner, just being factual.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] you're not buying a new battery, you're replacing it w/ a charged one.. kinda like a propane tank for a grill where you bring your empty tank and swap it for a new one. you're just paying for the fuel not the container for it.

Inconsistancy

It's not recycling in the sense of the propane tank, which is merely convenience, since steel is cheap and propane is usually in a big tank in the first place, so it's just easier to manage in a small one.

Batteries are recycled by taking all their internal components out, filtering some of it, throwing other bits away, melting parts down... the only directly recyclable piece of a battery is it's plastic case. All of this requires energy.

Also, batteries degrade over time because they're a closed system, the chemical reactions aren't perfect, and every round that they go through they lose some of their efficiency. There 'is' a probability that entropy will lower over time, same probability that you'll get the molecules in your hands to line and up go through your desk, but it's 'there'... but that'd still not produce 'free' energy, you'd lose mass as it converted into energy.

The huge benefit of fuels is that it's an open system, fuel goes in, gets burn (becomes entropic) and goes out, put new fuel in to start it all over. Much easier to reduce entropy via replacement, rather than re-refinement.

BWhHAHAHA, 30m vs 5m are you jokes? How obvious is that crap? And you want to replace the battery, how much is that going to cost, and manage. Are recharge stations going to just carry thousands of tons of extra batteries for consumers to load into their car.

true, batteries degrade over time ( didn't see anywhere where i was arguing against that but if you like tangents, knock yourself out... ) as for the second comment where are you getting 30m from when if done properly and w/ some standardization across the industry the packs could feasibly be replaced in under 5m?? why couldn't a station keep extra charged and charging batteries on hand? they currently have no problems storing 15-30 thousand gallons of fuel...
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

Yea, turns out the owner would end up paying twice, maybe even 3 times, as much in electricity to charge the vehicle for a short time frame of driving than if it were to be powered by fuel.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"] it's not higher in europe because of lack of subsidies.. it's because of more taxes..Engrish_Major
Yes, taxes that actually are able to pay for the infrastructure. Gas taxes are way too low in the US.

well now you're off arguing a different point altogether..
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]how would it be any different from going to a gas station after 6-8 hours of driving time? we tolerate having to take a 5 minute break to refuel a car after 300-400 miles, why would someone not tolerate the same break to swap out a battery ( again, assuming a battery would get you that range which clearly they do not currently )? Engrish_Major

When gas starts to increase, the demand for green energy will go up. We'll see more companies put R&D into hydrogen and other potential tech becuase the market will now be there.

You can't create artifical demand for an item just because you're afraid current prices will skyrocket. The market will balance itself out in this case.

You also forget that the USA has a massive amount of oil refineries. Petrol is really cheap to produce and ship within the borders of the USA. It's one of the major exports of the USA. Combine that with the widespread need for petrol across the country and you get cheaper fuel as a result. No other nation has a consumer need for fuel like the USA. It's a whole different market over here.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] it's not higher in europe because of lack of subsidies.. it's because of more taxes..comp_atkins

No I'm not. Insufficient income from gas taxes means that states and the feds have to end up paying for all of the direct and indirect consequences of cheap fuel. i.e., subsidies. And those are subsidies that are paid for by everyone, instead of them being paid for directly by the user himself.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Wasdie

When gas starts to increase, the demand for green energy will go up. We'll see more companies put R&D into hydrogen and other potential tech becuase the market will now be there.

You can't create artifical demand for an item just because you're afraid current prices will skyrocket. The market will balance itself out in this case.

Here we go again, talking about the "free market" coming into play, when current energy policy is anything but. Did you not get my point from three pages ago? Why does the green revolution have to be all about free market forces, when it is already competing against an artificial market?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] Wait to see what people think is "feasible" when gas is $10-15 per gallon.Engrish_Major

Here we go again, talking about the "free market" coming into play, when current energy policy is anything but. Did you not get my point from three pages ago? Why does the green revolution have to be all about free market forces, when it is already competing against an artificial market?

You're assuming oil subsidies do anything.

Protip: they don't. They have been nothing but lining the pockets of oil execs for years. They don't even touch the actual economy. That's part of the reason why we need to end them.

The real economy is actually still not supply and demand based, it's run purly by speculators on Wall St.. If it was really supply/demand based, gas would even be cheaper in the USA. We refine it here and have dozens of oil exporters who work with the refineries. We export petrol we have so much of it.

This is what keeps it cheap.

You're advocating building artifical demand for an emerging market. The traditional energy market has widespread demand that is very real. There is a difference.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Engrish_Major

Protip: they don't. They have been nothing but lining the pockets of oil execs for years. They don't even touch the actual economy. That's part of the reason why we need to end them.

The real economy is actually still not supply and demand based, it's run purly by speculators on Wall St.. If it was really supply/demand based, gas would even be cheaper in the USA. We refine it here and have dozens of oil exporters who work with the refineries. We export petrol we have so much of it.

You're advocating building artifical demand for an emerging market. The traditional energy market has widespread demand that is very real. There is a difference.

Wasdie
That's only part of it. There are not only direct subsidies. There are externalities that are costly due to cheap gas. One being environmental impacts - i.e., I have to breathe the direct results of the commute of hundreds of thousands of people every day, in addition to the billions of dollars that states and the feds have to pay to clean up spills at the refineries, waterways, and during transit. Another being infrastructure costs - i.e., I have to pay (out of the general tax fund) for highways that these people use every day because the gas taxes at the pump are too low. Those are subsidies that keep gas artificially cheap in the US. And people are complaining about a little subsidy here and there to companies that are trying to make alternatives feasible.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] Yes, taxes that actually are able to pay for the infrastructure. Gas taxes are way too low in the US.

No I'm not. Insufficient income from gas taxes means that states and the feds have to end up paying for all of the direct and indirect consequences of cheap fuel. i.e., subsidies. And those are subsidies that are paid for by everyone, instead of them being paid for directly by the user himself.

again, fuel is not cheaper because is it subsidized. if you think the gov't doling out ~ $4B yearly in tax breaks etc.. the oil industry will have a multi-dollar impact on the price/gallon that americans pay you're mistaken.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Inconsistancy

true, batteries degrade over time ( didn't see anywhere where i was arguing against that but if you like tangents, knock yourself out... ) as for the second comment where are you getting 30m from when if done properly and w/ some standardization across the industry the packs could feasibly be replaced in under 5m?? why couldn't a station keep extra charged and charging batteries on hand? they currently have no problems storing 15-30 thousand gallons of fuel...comp_atkins

Fuel is a liquid, it doesn't require cranes to move it, you get truck, attach a hose and it drains out. And, it's a one way trip, the fuel goes in the ground for temporary storage, then into the vehicles to be burnt, truck just leaves after depositing the fuel, and weighs a good bit less.

Fuel cycle! drill ► load into barrels ► send to refinery (via ship) ► to pipeline ► is refined (produces other nifty products as well) ► load diesel and 'gas' into trucks ► ship to gas station in truck ► deposit fuel.

Batteries are solids...

Battery replenishment cycle!:

(ignoring all the initial processes to make the batteries) ► Factory produces battery ► puts onto truck ► sits at the recharge station waiting for the crane (you'll need it) to unload the batteries ► waits longer for spent batteries to be recycled to be loaded ► drives off to the recycle plant ► crane unloads ► factory reprocesses all the batteries ► restart process.

And then don't forget the lovely need for infrastructure, if these recharge stations are carrying batteries that need recharging, and the quickcharge for those with 30m to spare, you'll need a beefy power grid and quite a few more powerstations!

And GLHF with moving those batteries around, the volt's, with it's puny 35mi range, batteries weigh nearly 200kg. And I doubt they're in a place that's easy to take out and put in new ones, not like that battery under the hood.

Until we reach Star Wars level tech, with their lightsaber batteries, we're not going to be moving 100+kw batteries in and out of cars all 'willy-nilly'.

I go on a 'tangent' 'cause you're apparently so shortsighted to not notice it.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] well now you're off arguing a different point altogether..comp_atkins

again, fuel is not cheaper because is it subsidized. if you think the gov't doling out ~ $4B yearly in tax breaks etc.. the oil industry will have a multi-dollar impact on the price/gallon that americans pay you're mistaken.

Again, that's not what I'm talking about. What my post stated is that insufficient taxes = subsidies. Also read my post right above this one to Wasdie.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

The main reason to support the subsidies for EV technology isn't so that U.S. automakers put out amazing cars right away, but because they were incredibly far behind technologically.

A lot of cars are going to be hybrids in the coming years, and a little further out there will be a lot more electric vehicles. You can be certain that Chinese automakers will get government support, many of them were state owned at some point.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] well now you're off arguing a different point altogether..comp_atkins

Then why not end the subsidies. Stop the subsidies and stop the oil wars and lets see what happens to that industry then. Free market FTW! right?
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Yes, worthless solar that allows one to have self-sustaining energy in their own home, decreasing their energy bill and reducing carbon emissions. Oh, when will the world learn just how useless solar power is?

Pirate700

You have no idea how solar energy in a home actually works, do you?

One of my neighbors has a brand new custom million dollar green home...they were telling me during the power outage that their full roof full of panels barely gave them enough to flush their electric toilet. :lol:

Don't electric toilets burn the waste?

We have a big ass generator for power outages, but if we use a toaster it'll break its back.

Anything that is high heat like that siphons power like an abrams does gas.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] No I'm not. Insufficient income from gas taxes means that states and the feds have to end up paying for all of the direct and indirect consequences of cheap fuel. i.e., subsidies. And those are subsidies that are paid for by everyone, instead of them being paid for directly by the user himself.kuraimen

Then why not end the subsidies. Stop the subsidies and stop the oil wars and lets see what happens to that industry then. Free market FTW! right?

dude.. i'm not defending the subsidies just saying they have no effect on the ppg. they ought to be removed.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Engrish_Major

The main reason to support the subsidies for EV technology isn't so that U.S. automakers put out amazing cars right away, but because they were incredibly far behind technologically.

A lot of cars are going to be hybrids in the coming years, and a little further out there will be a lot more electric vehicles. You can be certain that Chinese automakers will get government support, many of them were state owned at some point.

superfluidity
Japanese automakers also received massive government subsidies in their infancy, and they became some of the best and biggest auto companies in the world. That forced our own companies to create better products in order to compete.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] No I'm not. Insufficient income from gas taxes means that states and the feds have to end up paying for all of the direct and indirect consequences of cheap fuel. i.e., subsidies. And those are subsidies that are paid for by everyone, instead of them being paid for directly by the user himself.

Again, that's not what I'm talking about. What my post stated is that insufficient taxes = subsidies. Also read my post right above this one to Wasdie.

k. got what you're saying now. with regards to the level of taxation and how much is appropriate i can't comment since i'm not knowledgeable in whether or not current taxes cover the needs they're intended for.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Engrish_Major
k. got what you're saying now. with regards to the level of taxation and how much is appropriate i can't comment since i'm not knowledgeable in whether or not current taxes cover the needs they're intended for.comp_atkins
One of the main problems is that gax taxes are not a percent (as in most other things that are taxed) - they are a set value. And in many states, they have not been raised in a decade or more, meaning that there is effectively less and less income every year due to inflation. And running an election on raising gas taxes does not exactly get you votes. The result is that states are facing rising deficits in their transportation fund, so they are forced to take money from the general fund to pay for roads/infrastructure/emergency services (all the things that drivers take advantage of). And that's just the infrastructure argument. There are two more arguments as to the externalities that cheap gas causes (environmental and foreign policy) that we all have to pay for. These are all costs that other countries take into account when determining gas taxes. Meaning that the people who use gas pay, in direct proportion, for their use. Now that is something that I'd expect conserviatives to be for - not having society shoulder the burden for people who drive a lot.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

When I took at look at it, I couldn't believe they were charging 40k+ for that piece of plastic.

airshocker

47k*. :lol:

I can buy a fawkin' SS camaro and a Impala with that...
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]true, batteries degrade over time ( didn't see anywhere where i was arguing against that but if you like tangents, knock yourself out... ) as for the second comment where are you getting 30m from when if done properly and w/ some standardization across the industry the packs could feasibly be replaced in under 5m?? why couldn't a station keep extra charged and charging batteries on hand? they currently have no problems storing 15-30 thousand gallons of fuel...Inconsistancy

Fuel is a liquid, it doesn't require cranes to move it, you get truck, attach a hose and it drains out. And, it's a one way trip, the fuel goes in the ground for temporary storage, then into the vehicles to be burnt, truck just leaves after depositing the fuel, and weighs a good bit less.

Fuel cycle! drill ► load into barrels ► send to refinery (via ship) ► to pipeline ► is refined (produces other nifty products as well) ► load diesel and 'gas' into trucks ► ship to gas station in truck ► deposit fuel.

Batteries are solids...

Battery replenishment cycle!:

(ignoring all the initial processes to make the batteries) ► Factory produces battery ► puts onto truck ► sits at the recharge station waiting for the crane (you'll need it) to unload the batteries ► waits longer for spent batteries to be recycled to be loaded ► drives off to the recycle plant ► crane unloads ► factory reprocesses all the batteries ► restart process.

And then don't forget the lovely need for infrastructure, if these recharge stations are carrying batteries that need recharging, and the quickcharge for those with 30m to spare, you'll need a beefy power grid and quite a few more powerstations!

And GLHF with moving those batteries around, the volt's, with it's puny 35mi range, batteries weigh nearly 200kg. And I doubt they're in a place that's easy to take out and put in new ones, not like that battery under the hood.

Until we reach Star Wars level tech, with their lightsaber batteries, we're not going to be moving 100+kw batteries in and out of cars all 'willy-nilly'.

I go on a 'tangent' 'cause you're apparently so shortsighted to not notice it.

i'm sure similar arguments could have been made wrt transitioning to a gasoline infrastructure from an equine one ( you want to ship flammable liquids all over the place?!?? are you mad? ) it's been what, 100 years and we still struggle to produce an automobile that doesn't waste 85% of the energy put into it yet we accept it. i'm sorry that i'm not as pessimistic about ev future prospects as you. i guess i am just too shortsighted.
DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#137 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
I don't think theres any way that electric cars will take over. Price tag is too high, takes too long to charge the battery, and you can barely leave your house. I do a lot of driving, more than most, I put about 40,000 km on my cars each year if not more. A lot of the time, I need to fill the car up and keep going. I can't stand around and wait 12 hours for a battery to charge hahahaha the nissan electric car (whatever its called) has a charge time of like 4 hours to 70% on a 240V outlet... 4 hours is even too long. They should have stuck with nitrogen cars... I would personally like to get an engine that runs off of uranium. If the world wasn't so scared of nuclear, it would be perfect. You could go several years easily before you'd have to dispose of the small amount of uranium it would take.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] No I'm not. Insufficient income from gas taxes means that states and the feds have to end up paying for all of the direct and indirect consequences of cheap fuel. i.e., subsidies. And those are subsidies that are paid for by everyone, instead of them being paid for directly by the user himself.Engrish_Major

You use the highways far more than you think, even if you don't drive.

Without the highways in the USA, the economy we know today wouldn't exist. Everything would be far more expensive and localized.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Whilst I want to see electric cars gain more of a foothold, the Volt was an extremely poor start. Poor price selection and poor quality.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Engrish_Major

Without the highways in the USA, the economy we know today wouldn't exist. Everything would be far more expensive and localized.

Wasdie
Don't get me started on the Interstate Highway System and how much that has negatively effected our country. But that's an entire different thread, so I won't go into that here.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Engrish_Major
Don't get me started on the Interstate Highway System and how much that has negatively effected our country. But that's an entire different thread, so I won't go into that here.

not sure if serious...
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Inconsistancy

i'm sure similar arguments could have been made wrt transitioning to a gasoline infrastructure from an equine one ( you want to ship flammable liquids all over the place?!?? are you mad? ) it's been what, 100 years and we still struggle to produce an automobile that doesn't waste 85% of the energy put into it yet we accept it. i'm sorry that i'm not as pessimistic about ev future prospects as you. i guess i am just too shortsighted. comp_atkins

YES you are shortsighted.

That's not a similar argument, I wasn't even mentioning the hazards of transporting batteries, just the cycle they'd go through.

And fuel and batteries are just as hazardous as each other, one is flammable, one is highly caustic and often contains non 'earth friendly' metals... but moving a liquid between containers is Much easier than moving crates from one pallet to another. And again, don't forget the fuel is a 1 way trip, they don't have to reprocess it, batteries have to be recycled.

Batteries are what I'm pessimistic about, look how long we've been refining them (~150 years for rechargeable batteries, {2000+ years they've existed, but... }), and look where they are. Now look at computers, 60 years ago 'til now. You think batteries are progressing fast, that we're going to just find some silver bullet that solves all the issues with them Any time soon? They're crippled by the limitations chemistry and entropy.

You act like electricity is damn magic, it just comes out of faeries butts or something, you have to generate it, that's not free. And electric cars still waste plenty of energy as well, it's not like they're damn nuclear reactors (which still waste energy).

Have you ever wondered why trains have a third rail or power lines? It's 'cause batteries suck so much that it was much Cheaper to just lay track or power lines than try to use batteries.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I don't think theres any way that electric cars will take over. Price tag is too high, takes too long to charge the battery, and you can barely leave your house. I do a lot of driving, more than most, I put about 40,000 km on my cars each year if not more. A lot of the time, I need to fill the car up and keep going. I can't stand around and wait 12 hours for a battery to charge hahahaha the nissan electric car (whatever its called) has a charge time of like 4 hours to 70% on a 240V outlet... 4 hours is even too long. They should have stuck with nitrogen cars... I would personally like to get an engine that runs off of uranium. If the world wasn't so scared of nuclear, it would be perfect. You could go several years easily before you'd have to dispose of the small amount of uranium it would take.DJ-PRIME90

Small amount of uranium x millions of drivers=not small amount of uranium.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
You think batteries are progressing fast, that we're going to just find some silver bullet that solves all the issues with them Any time soon? They're crippled by the limitations chemistry and entropy.Inconsistancy
Why entropy? Batteries aren't heat engines and therefore aren't Carnot-limited.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Yes, worthless solar that allows one to have self-sustaining energy in their own home, decreasing their energy bill and reducing carbon emissions. Oh, when will the world learn just how useless solar power is?

Pirate700

You have no idea how solar energy in a home actually works, do you?

One of my neighbors has a brand new custom million dollar green home...they were telling me during the power outage that their full roof full of panels barely gave them enough to flush their electric toilet. :lol:

>electric toilet

why?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I wonder how much green energy products is subject to supply and demand. My bet would be that it's far more than oil is. In that way it's still not a fair fight.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 MannyDelgado
[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="DJ-PRIME90"]I don't think theres any way that electric cars will take over. Price tag is too high, takes too long to charge the battery, and you can barely leave your house. I do a lot of driving, more than most, I put about 40,000 km on my cars each year if not more. A lot of the time, I need to fill the car up and keep going. I can't stand around and wait 12 hours for a battery to charge hahahaha the nissan electric car (whatever its called) has a charge time of like 4 hours to 70% on a 240V outlet... 4 hours is even too long. They should have stuck with nitrogen cars... I would personally like to get an engine that runs off of uranium. If the world wasn't so scared of nuclear, it would be perfect. You could go several years easily before you'd have to dispose of the small amount of uranium it would take.thegerg

Small amount of uranium x millions of drivers=not small amount of uranium.

It's better, in most ways, than a large amount of fossil fuel X millions of drivers, no?

It's a stupid idea. You need to reach critical mass in order to sustain a reaction, and the tiny amount of uranium that would be reasonable for a single car would be much too small for that.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 MannyDelgado
One of my neighbors has a brand new custom million dollar green home...they were telling me during the power outage that their full roof full of panels barely gave them enough to flush their electric toilet. :lol:Pirate700
Kind of a stupid point to make - plenty of stuff, eg camera flashes, requires an enormous amount of instantaneous power but only draws that power for a very short amount of time.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]You think batteries are progressing fast, that we're going to just find some silver bullet that solves all the issues with them Any time soon? They're crippled by the limitations chemistry and entropy.MannyDelgado
Why entropy? Batteries aren't heat engines and therefore aren't Carnot-limited.

-.-

1. a thermodynamic quantity that changes in a reversible process by an amount equal to the heat absorbed or emitted divided by the thermodynamic temperature. It is measured in joules per kelvin. Symbol S See also law of thermodynamics [1]
2.a statistical measure of the disorder of a closed system expressed by S = klog P + c where P is the probability that a particular state of the system exists, k is the Boltzmann constant, and c is another constant
3.lack of pattern or organization; disorder