Gillette releases new commercial aimed at toxic masculinity, gets roasted in response

• 103 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@jackamomo said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Which is why Dollar Shave Club made a much better commercial last summer that I believe is more forward thinking than Gillette's commercial

I watched the Dollar Shave Club advert.

It was actually shaming men too. But this advert seems to be fixated on and how pathetic they are to either have or be bothered by pattern baldness.

It just as strange in my eyes and it goes on far too long and isn't as funny as it thinks it is.

Commercial land is having some difficulty in understanding exactly what a man is at this point in time I think.

And that's the problem, because you can't define "what a man is" on anything but stereotypes and such.

Women have been fighting this battle for generations, and ironically I think it is man's turn to fight it, too. Maybe we can fight it together!?

You know what I'd like to see? Objective ads. "Here is our razor. It has one/two/three/ten blades on it. It works well. In studies, it shaves better than 90% of the competition. Please buy it, thank you for your time" and that's it. No need to be clever, witty, entertaining...just get it over with.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@mrbojangles25: in the 80’s there was never all this angst.

People were just people. It’s not complicated. Adverts and the media in general now are shit.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#103 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jackamomo said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Which is why Dollar Shave Club made a much better commercial last summer that I believe is more forward thinking than Gillette's commercial

It was actually shaming men too. But this advert seems to be fixated on and how pathetic they are to either have or be bothered by pattern baldness.

It just as strange in my eyes and it goes on far too long and isn't as funny as it thinks it is.

Commercial land is having some difficulty in understanding exactly what a man is at this point in time I think.

How can you guys get this so wrong?

Don´t you get that Commercials are about getting their message out there not about PC or making a public political statement? Nike or Gilette does not give an r... behind about what a man is or why Kaepernike made a stand. They care about one thing exposure.

And considering that this thread is still active weeks after, They made the right choice in making the ad and this is not the last time we have seen ads like this.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#104 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@jackamomo said:

What exactly about the commercial was shaming men?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#105 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: What exactly about the commercial was shaming men?

The parts when men are trying to come to terms with pattern baldness.

Which is not even not even to do with shaving. But two characters are fixated on their baldness / receding hairline and attempting to deal, comically with the impact of that on their egos/self image.

Also, it paints all the men as obsessed with grooming. Something I find takes barely any time out of my life. That is the real manly way to be... Smelly and dirty.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Maroxad said:

Live and let Live.

This "toxic masculinity" was selected by sexual selection. While I myself dont adhere to any of this, I don't judge the people who do.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Or better yet, make their razors more affordable. Until then, Dollar Shave Club for me.

Good choice.

Yep, besides the Dollar Shave Club had a much better commercial from last year.

Loading Video...

What a fun little advert. Not a single sign of rape, sexual harassment or domestic abuse.

Haha, I use to do the same thing trying to hide my hairline, as i'm sure a lot of men did/do.

Nice as well they picked what looks like generic average joe off the street and not some idealized GQ man.

Agree about it being too long. 1 minute, minute and a half, 3-4 is really pushing it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Damn this commercial triggered a lot of people.