Gillette releases new commercial aimed at toxic masculinity, gets roasted in response

• 103 results
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

When did the masculine crowd get their panties in a twist?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#52 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Ever since Anita Sarkeesian, with two certain political events in 2016 only furthering the damage.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 br0kenrabbit

@nintendoboy16 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Ever since Anita Sarkeesian, with two certain political events in 2016 only furthering the damage.

For a group who prides themselves on emotional invincibility and the ability to endure absolutely anything they sure seem to be awash in an embarrassing amount of boo-hooing.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

Yes it even trickle down to basic social engineering on adult who act like children. It always have issue like this. Difference now is everyone have access to technology so toxic nature spread more easy. Coworker of mine tell me of some things similar to this, ironically it around 2016 too. Not a thread for it but maybe one day I have the time to elaborate on this. It just I been busier at work than usual lately. My field is not exactly like this but it in the same area in many way.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@xantufrog said:

I really don't care. I don't understand why anyone (guessing some of you) care enough to downvote this. Bunch of oversensensitive ninnies on the web upset that a company is trying to adjust its image to get with the times. Of course they are doing it for money. Great detective work. Just like Microsoft and Sony are "for the gamers".

Sure, they're doing for the money. But, who exactly are they targeting? Men who shave their face or women SJWs who shave their legs?

If this was targeted at me, my first instinct would be to change the channel. There's a big difference between advertising and preaching. Most people don't want to be preached at.

The only message that commercial conveys to me is Gillette has run out of ideas to promote its product. So, they turned to preaching.

Anyway, I've used Barbasol since I was in my teens. I rarely saw a commercial for it. Yet, it seems to be selling quite well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@xantufrog said:

I really don't care. I don't understand why anyone (guessing some of you) care enough to downvote this. Bunch of oversensensitive ninnies on the web upset that a company is trying to adjust its image to get with the times. Of course they are doing it for money. Great detective work. Just like Microsoft and Sony are "for the gamers".

Sure, they're doing for the money. But, who exactly are they targeting? Men who shave their face or women SJWs who shave their legs?

If this was targeted at me, my first instinct would be to change the channel.

The video itself was made a Trump hating feminist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6596225/Meet-woke-women-Gillettes-controversial-toxic-masculinity-ad.html

It's odd some people are defending this as "stop being a baby".

Generally being vaguely associated with bullying and images of sexual assault while someone is telling you to "be better", would at the very least, mildly annoy most people. It sure didn't inspire or endear me into buying there products. Not that I actually shave, beards are awesome.

It's an interesting contrast. "Be sensitive, caring and understanding (also don't rape please)", and if you don't agree with our presentation ,"stop being a big baby and man up! You just a troll right-winger!"

Huh.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@uninspiredcup said:

The video itself was made a Trump hating feminist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6596225/Meet-woke-women-Gillettes-controversial-toxic-masculinity-ad.html

It's odd some people are defending this as "stop being a baby".

Generally being vaguely associated with bullying and images of sexual assault while someone is telling you to "be better", would at the very least, mildly annoy most people. It sure didn't inspire or endear me into buying there products. Not that I actually shave, beards are awesome.

It's an interesting contrast. "Be sensitive, caring and understanding (also don't rape please)", and if you don't agree with our presentation ,"stop being a big baby and man up! You just a troll right-winger!"

Huh.

Like I said, Gillette can do what it wants while I'm free to ignore it.

Anyway, I shave because my stubble get itchy at some point. Plus, the wife demands I'm clean-shaven if I want that smooch from her.

Edit:

You don't see guys messing around with women's tampon and makeup commercials....at least, I haven't.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@jun_aka_pekto said:

You don't see guys messing around with women's tampon and makeup commercials....at least, I haven't.

They sure mess with women's bodies when it comes to the law, though.

Oh!

Loading Video...

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Lol it looks like people here are more angry at the fact that people are criticizing the video, than the video itself.

I think the video is good. It’s a terrible ad though. Way to alienate their customers.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@uninspiredcup: what can I say, my ideals steer towards egalitarianism with an asterisk. The distinction between "stop picking on this person" and "stop being upset for someone telling you to stop picking on a person" is an important one to me.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#62 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Story.

Gillette released the above ad, which presents a statement for men to be better than in the past. It includes such clips as Terry Crews testifying about sexual assault and of men openly sexually harassing women.

However, the video touched a few nerves, since it is sitting at 10,000 likes and almost 100,000 dislikes as of the posting of this topic. Many of the comments in the video are not as positive as they may have been expecting.

Their Twitter account is getting a mix of negative and positive messages in response:

What do you think, is the reaction to the ad an overreaction or is Gillette virtue signaling like some of the complaints are stating?

I think This comes as a zero surprise after the whole Nike and Kaepernike incident, and this is not the last time we have seen an ad from a big company which goes after the controversy.

So good on Gilette they have caught on and got on the train before people begin to catch on.

And it also showcases the "offence-culture" which are rampant in America and around the world, but hopefully, these ads will keep coming and make people immune to this "illness".

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

This was the best response I've seen:

-Byshop

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 br0kenrabbit

@crimsonllama said:

@br0kenrabbit: maybe they don't like baby murder?

Acorn =/= Tree

Egg =/= Chicken

Fetus =/= Baby

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

THis seems pretty positive. Not sure I get the negative response.

My thoughts as well. If you're getting bent out of shape from this maybe you're just a bit insecure. Also, use of the term virtue signaling usually tells me the slant you're trying to get across.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#67 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@Byshop said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

This was the best response I've seen:

-Byshop

The problem I've seen with that are the comments involved. It's opened up another "let's make fun of all the men" type thing. Just further stoking the flames of the battle of the sexes. It would be nice if we could all just graduate from grade school mentality and be better people all around.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@uninspiredcup: what can I say, my ideals steer towards egalitarianism with an asterisk. The distinction between "stop picking on this person" and "stop being upset for someone telling you to stop picking on a person" is an important one to me.

if someone was telling you to "stop picking on this person", for actually picking on a person, that's a pretty good common sense advice. Nobody likes, or likes being an asshole.

If it's a generalized presentation using imagery of shit like sexual assault, implying as a man you're not good enough, to sell a razor, I think they call that "sanctimonious"?

Be interesting to see how it will pan out. Regardless of people dumping Gillette in a bucket, I wouldn't be surprised if sales spike.

Unfortunate woman have to pay more for their pink razors.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 X_Karen_x

@uninspiredcup:

The pink razed actually better.

Agree with you about common sense. Not alway about picking on but wasting other people time. My coworker, I try to explain this to her about man she always talk about.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#70  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Prepare your faces and palms.

Loading Video...

And they cite Piers Morgan, a man who attacked Daniel Craig (only to be eviscerated by Chris Evans) on how he carried his child in one of those baby carriers ("papoose" they call it) as a threat to his manhood, as a legit source. lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Prepare your faces and palms.

And they cite Piers Morgan, a man who attacked Daniel Craig (only to be eviscerated by Chris Evans) on how he carried his child in one of those baby carriers ("papoose" they call it) as a threat to his manhood, as a legit source. lol

You warned me. You said to prepare my face and my palm. And I didn't listen. I DIDN'T LISTEN!!! And now I have a sore forehead.

*long sigh*

These fracking twerps are so quick to be offended and play the victim they can't stop and think and acknowledge the fact that this ad isn't targeting anyone for criticism, it's simply asking men to be better.

I am a man and--like pretty much all people of any sex--I've made some mistakes in my life, be it mistreatment of others, comments about the other sex, misguided machismo, and so forth; and I in no way felt guilty about any of those mistakes I made in my life. It simply reminded me that I am better than that.

If anything, the ad kind of made me feel better about myself because I look at some of the examples and can honestly say I am a better man than I was five years ago, who was better than I was 10 years ago, and so on. It makes me hopeful for the future.

@crimsonllama said:

@br0kenrabbit: ah, so a fetus is an egg/peanut now. cool, cool.

Ow. My forehead again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

so corporate sexism is acceptable to some people it seems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILwhaFezec

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

While there are elements of the ad that I can agree with , Such as intervene if you see bullying or at least approach and figure out if it is bullying. There are some situations in the ad that I don't see that much of a harm. Like the two kids play wrestling on the lawn, granted if it gets out of hand or they aren't friends then break it up but otherwise let them play. And when a guy notices a woman he finds attractive walking down the road and wants to go talk to her, Granted it's probably annoying if the woman has no interest with talking to him but there's no harm done. Being annoyed isn't harmful.

The ad kinda gives the overall message of " Hey, Guys. Stop being like these predators so your kids will look up to you. Also buy our brand of razors"

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@br0kenrabbit said:

They sure mess with women's bodies when it comes to the law, though.

Oh!

The law is a whole new can of worms I'm not going to.

But, this thread is about a commercial and what is usually the purpose of a commercial advertising a shaving product? I can barely stand commercials of any sort. If a commercial is advertising something else and not the product, I'm changing the channel.

If I want to be preached at, I'll go to church.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#76 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@davillain- said:

Instead of scoring political brownie points, Gillette should focus on improving their quality. I have had better shaves from generic store bought razors the last few years than Gillette.

This is a bit off topic but i always had the impression that you were a girl....

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 SOedipus
@Dark_sageX said:
@davillain- said:

Instead of scoring political brownie points, Gillette should focus on improving their quality. I have had better shaves from generic store bought razors the last few years than Gillette.

This is a bit off topic but i always had the impression that you were a girl....

There are Gillette razors for women, ya know.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#78  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@SOedipus said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@davillain- said:

oh lol, thats new to me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:
@SOedipus said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@davillain- said:

oh lol, thats new to me.

Their are woman who actually use Gillette razor for shaving their legs but the product isn't just for men despite the ads are aiming for the fellas.

And I'm obviously a guy and I just happen to go ga ga for Anime girls which is why I always display them on my avatars/sigs.

Pro tip: The user PrincessGomez is also a guy lol.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SOedipus: How is the video good?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SOedipus
@vfighter said:

@SOedipus: How is the video good?

I feel quite indifferent to the video actually. There are good points, such as don’t be an ass. But my point is, it‘s a terrible ad. I’m not offended by it. I have always used Gillette razors and I will continue to do so. But I get where the hate is coming from. It’s not like a violent person will watch that ad and go “hey, I’ve been living my life wrong this whole time, I have to make some big changes!”

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

I like the ad because it makes conservative heads explode, much like kneeling at a football game, a historically accurate picture of an brown-skinned Jesus, or the Happy Holidays cups at Starbucks.

Anything that gets their blood pressure up to dangerous levels is a good thing.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SOedipus: Gotcha, and I agree with that.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 X_Karen_x

It just marketing people. If you look at shave market much has move online. It take percentage away from a few corporation which had almost monopoly at some moment in time. What happen next is they work to rectify issue they make and announce new product or rebranding. This is way to try and get customer back.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

And once again everyone falls for the same Right VS Left. Why do you guys want to force what and how others think? You don't want to lose your freedoms and liberties yet you want to shame others in an attempt to control how someone thinks but all it really does it make them more stubborn and ultimately worse. Just as so many people still can't understand why Trump won the election, they'll can't ever understand why things are the way they are. You can't force people to change.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with what they're saying in the add, it's just that the add itself is BS. To make it not BS they would need to make some sort of fund to support harassed women or something. What they're doing instead is simply trying to exploit a hot topic, make people talk about it (and their products, too). As for me, I will never buy anything more expensive than Mach 3 Turbo, even if David Beckham shaved his balls with it blind folded.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@Ovirew: Because maybe every man in the world is tired of being called a pervert? Maybe its because masculine traits are now deemed toxic? People are tired of being preached to especially when it's from a company that's violated child labor laws in the past.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@pimphand_gamer said:

And once again everyone falls for the same Right VS Left. Why do you guys want to force what and how others think? You don't want to lose your freedoms and liberties yet you want to shame others in an attempt to control how someone thinks but all it really does it make them more stubborn and ultimately worse. Just as so many people still can't understand why Trump won the election, they'll can't ever understand why things are the way they are. You can't force people to change.

Perhaps, the majority of guys don't need to change at all. If I was a scumbag like what the ad wants to portray, I don't think my wife would stay with me for 24 years now.

This preachy-preachy stuff is a turn-off.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Live and let Live.

This "toxic masculinity" was selected by sexual selection. While I myself dont adhere to any of this, I don't judge the people who do.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Or better yet, make their razors more affordable. Until then, Dollar Shave Club for me.

Good choice.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Perhaps, the majority of guys don't need to change at all. If I was a scumbag like what the ad wants to portray, I don't think my wife would stay with me for 24 years now.

This preachy-preachy stuff is a turn-off.

I don't think going around having the viewpoint of someone being a scumbag just because you don't agree makes you any better. Don't worry about what others do, think or say. Just follow your own ethics and let them follow theirs. That's the freedom we should be thankful in having. Otherwise why stop there? Go ahead and call non Christians scumbags or maybe Christians are the scumbags eh? Let's not stop there, might as well go full bigot because belittling others and judging them is no different either way.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

They put TYT in there. That's reason enough for the criticism.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@Maroxad said:

Live and let Live.

This "toxic masculinity" was selected by sexual selection. While I myself dont adhere to any of this, I don't judge the people who do.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Or better yet, make their razors more affordable. Until then, Dollar Shave Club for me.

Good choice.

Yep, besides the Dollar Shave Club had a much better commercial from last year.

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 jun_aka_pekto
@pimphand_gamer said:

I don't think going around having the viewpoint of someone being a scumbag just because you don't agree makes you any better. Don't worry about what others do, think or say. Just follow your own ethics and let them follow theirs. That's the freedom we should be thankful in having. Otherwise why stop there? Go ahead and call non Christians scumbags or maybe Christians are the scumbags eh? Let's not stop there, might as well go full bigot because belittling others and judging them is no different either way.

Personally, I do my own thing. What everyone else do is their business. But, it's the commercial that's implying I'm a scumbag.

Why are you even mentioning Christians and non-Christians?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Personally, I do my own thing. What everyone else do is their business. But, it's the commercial that's implying I'm a scumbag.

Why are you even mentioning Christians and non-Christians?

Which is why Dollar Shave Club made a much better commercial last summer that I believe is more forward thinking than Gillette's commercial

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#96 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

I am boycotting Gillette after watching that commercial. It is ridiculous and insulting. SJW bullshit marketing.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

This is coming from a company that charges more for its "female" specialised shavers and products. Oh, also implicated for child labour lol

Well I guess they can blame that on "toxic masculinity" too or whatever that means.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yep, besides the Dollar Shave Club had a much better commercial from last year.

Loading Video...

A bit too long, but far, far more well executed, Gillette's commercial had me confused what they were trying to sell.

This one, made it clear from pretty much the get go.

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

https://youtu.be/x_HL0wiK4Zc

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Which is why Dollar Shave Club made a much better commercial last summer that I believe is more forward thinking than Gillette's commercial

I watched the Dollar Shave Club advert.

It was actually shaming men too. But this advert seems to be fixated on and how pathetic they are to either have or be bothered by pattern baldness.

It just as strange in my eyes and it goes on far too long and isn't as funny as it thinks it is.

Commercial land is having some difficulty in understanding exactly what a man is at this point in time I think.