Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 on Netflix; anybody watch?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

So I remember both myself and many other Ghost in the Shell fans upset when we got a peak at S.A.C. 2045, mostly over decision to go full 3D on animation. Being a fan of the first two movies, the two Stand Alone Complex seasons and movie, the four Arise episodes and New Movie feature, I still had to see it.

The animation sucked like expected, characters act stiff, barely better than those crappy cheaply made 3D news stories I sometimes see. But, it got easier as I watched. Probably best thing to help me adapt to story was return of English voice cast used through series many iterations, so familiarity was nice. Story was decent, good enough I was disappointed to see I hit the end of first season and already want to see how this story ends.

Anybody else watch it yet? Have any thoughts to share?

I think general consensus is anybody that might of had any interest hates it. I worry reception might be so bad that they won't finish it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I knew before even seeing the teaser that it would be in CG. Can't have a traditionally animated Ghost in the Shell in 2020. These people are so predictable. No, didn't watch, never had any interest in watching it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

It sucked. They really need to goback to SAC format, Arise and 2045 style and story telling just ain't gripping enough to hold me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
@sakaixx said:

It sucked. They really need to goback to SAC format, Arise and 2045 style and story telling just ain't gripping enough to hold me.

They need to let it die.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lamprey263

@sakaixx: I liked Arise though, but hated the distribution model, and they never localized the 5th piece of it or released it outside the divided edit chronological cut of Arise "borders". I found it interesting as a Section 9 origins story, just not as meaty as the two previous SAC seasons, and lacks a degree of continuity with other Ghost in the Shell media. As for 2045, if you didn't like Arise then I think it's safe to say 2045 won't appeal to you.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263

@ezekiel43: it is a bit perplexing why they'd even bother after Ghost in the Shell 2.0, but I would say I ended up liking this more than I thought I would, I still feel there's some redeeming qualities in its story

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@lamprey263: dropped 2045 after episode 3 or 4. Was hyped for the SAC dubbing cast to return as they were one of few english cast (alongside cowboy bebop) that actually better than their japanese counterpart but 2045 3D style and pretty boring pacing just lost me.

Heard it got better after chapter 6 so maybe I will watch it if I really has nothing to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@lamprey263 said:

@ezekiel43: it is a bit perplexing why they'd even bother after Ghost in the Shell 2.0, but I would say I ended up liking this more than I thought I would, I still feel there's some redeeming qualities in its story

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 is a revision of the 1995 movie, with CG alterations and golds replacing the greens. I'm confusing about the connection.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec561f06de43
deactivated-5ec561f06de43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ec561f06de43
Member since 2020 • 111 Posts

Is CG cheaper than hand-drawn?

Or is it just that kids are bored with the old-school, highly-awesome beauty of drawn art and prefer the fake, artificial, and sterile look of CG?

Obvious bias is obvious :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

So I remember both myself and many other Ghost in the Shell fans upset when we got a peak at S.A.C. 2045, mostly over decision to go full 3D on animation. Being a fan of the first two movies, the two Stand Alone Complex seasons and movie, the four Arise episodes and New Movie feature, I still had to see it.

The animation sucked like expected, characters act stiff, barely better than those crappy cheaply made 3D news stories I sometimes see. But, it got easier as I watched. Probably best thing to help me adapt to story was return of English voice cast used through series many iterations, so familiarity was nice. Story was decent, good enough I was disappointed to see I hit the end of first season and already want to see how this story ends.

Anybody else watch it yet? Have any thoughts to share?

I think general consensus is anybody that might of had any interest hates it. I worry reception might be so bad that they won't finish it.

I think you pretty much captured it. I was not a fan of the new art style and animation, but as the series went on it didn't bother me so much. Original voice cast for the English dub was a big plus since this is one of the few anime series where I actually really like the dub cast. I was not sold on the first ep at all but once the story got going it felt more like another season of SAC. I'm more than halfway through it but I'm pacing myself the rest of the way so I don't burn through it all too quickly.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Can't really get past the saturday morning cartoon animation. It's just so... Lifeless.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I was bit put off by the animation as well and, though I got a bit more used to it as the episodes clicked away, I was still put off a bit by everyone but Motoko's design as they all just look a bit blocky and stiff to me. I was not very into the usual government shenanigans pushing section 8 folks around narrative, but I started to get into it as I hit the last few episodes and was rather sad to find out the season ends without a conclusion.

So I suppose you could say I'm now mildly hyped for the second season to see where it goes. I really enjoyed Motoko's boxing trick on the one post-human, and I was really enjoying the post-human child on the final episodes. It made me wish they went a little more into the back stories of at least a couple of the other post-humans.