Get Religion in the Schools!

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wjb428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 wjb428
Member since 2003 • 1372 Posts

We need religion is schools, i dont think all schools should have to have church and stuff, but kids should be able to decide what they want to believe, not "YOUR LEARNING EVOLUTION DEAL WITH IT PUNK!!" I think they should teach Evolution and Religion, the people can decide what they want to believe.

Dosnt anyone body realize this country was founded on Religion and stuff? No were on the American money does it say "In evolution we trust" it says "In God We Trust" if you want to be atheist, America isnt the place for you. I cant believe America has gotten to the point if you say "God" some stupid parent will say "IM SUING! IM SUING!! I WANT MY MONEYS I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE EXCEPT MYSELF!!" but if you say "Evolution no one says anything.

Also, people, we have to remember Evolution is THEORY! IT IS NOT FACT. Why cant we teach the THEORY OF RELIGION?!

Lastly, if you believe in Religion and God does turn out to be real, to Heaven you go! If you believe in God and he dosnt exist, it dosnt affect you at all. But it you believe in evolution and God turns out to be real, to Hell ya go! Have fun being tortured for eternity! So wouldnt it be common sense to just believe in Christ?

And no, being a Christian dosnt mean you will have a boring life. Basically you just have to 1. Believe 2.be sorry your your sins.

Buddha_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Buddha_basic
Member since 2002 • 546 Posts
But we have churches for that....
Wozmcfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Wozmcfc
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
In elementrary school there were a few Muslim pupils, they used to have to say Christian prayers every morning, religion shoudn't be taught to those who don't care or believe!
H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

But we have churches for that....Buddha_basic

exactly

and if some1 is athiest, like me, then why do we need to have religion be part of our curriculum?

just thinking out loud here

p2rus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 p2rus
Member since 2005 • 2859 Posts
[QUOTE="wjb428"]Dosnt anyone body realize this country was founded on Religion and stuff? if you want to be atheist, America isnt the place for you. Lastly, if you believe in Religion and God does turn out to be real, to Heaven you go! If you believe in God and he dosnt exist, it dosnt affect you at all. But it you believe in evolution and God turns out to be real, to Hell ya go! Have fun being tortured for eternity! So wouldnt it be common sense to just believe in Christ?

1. Religion and stuff? 2. Ha... 3. This is called Pascal's wager... and it doesnt actually mean you believe in God IF god exists then all your doing is trying to be selfish and trick God into letting you into Heaven... feigning belief in God.
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

We need religion is schools, i dont think all schools should have to have church and stuff, but kids should be able to decide what they want to believe, not "YOUR LEARNING EVOLUTION DEAL WITH IT PUNK!!" I think they should teach Evolution and Religion, the people can decide what they want to believe.

Dosnt anyone body realize this country was founded on Religion and stuff? No were on the American money does it say "In evolution we trust" it says "In God We Trust" if you want to be atheist, America isnt the place for you. I cant believe America has gotten to the point if you say "God" some stupid parent will say "IM SUING! IM SUING!! I WANT MY MONEYS I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE EXCEPT MYSELF!!" but if you say "Evolution no one says anything.

Also, people, we have to remember Evolution is THEORY! IT IS NOT FACT. Why cant we teach the THEORY OF RELIGION?!

Lastly, if you believe in Religion and God does turn out to be real, to Heaven you go! If you believe in God and he dosnt exist, it dosnt affect you at all. But it you believe in evolution and God turns out to be real, to Hell ya go! Have fun being tortured for eternity! So wouldnt it be common sense to just believe in Christ?

And no, being a Christian dosnt mean you will have a boring life. Basically you just have to 1. Believe 2.be sorry your your sins.

wjb428

Wow ive heard that before.... that is not a good reason to believe anything... thats fear... and i dont live my life in fear... and have you every heard of divine evolution?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Dosnt anyone body realize this country was founded on Religion and stuff?

wjb428

Wrong

Check the history books

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bsman00
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="wjb428"]

Wrong

Check the history books

No hes right... this country was founded on "stuff"
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

Religion and academic education are mutually-exclusive. Religion requires faith while academics require evidence & knowledge. Mixing the two together is absurd.

If you want to learn about a religion, go to their church. That's what they're built for, anyways.

BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts
While that may seem like a good idea to a person, there is always someone a different religion that might get offended when you start teaching. Religion in schools would sort of be forcing someone into a certain religion as their teacher may be catholic whereas they are muslim, christian, or whatever. So as long as there is religion in schools someone is bound to be offended by it and cause some sort of law suit to pop up against the school.
Buddha_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Buddha_basic
[QUOTE="wjb428"]

Jaysonguy

Wrong

Check the history books

Um you might want to retract that statement. I have a burning suspician his history book is one called the Bible.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

I've got no problem with elective classes dealing with multiple religions. The theory of evolution should be taught, either way.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
Maybe we should just get rid of schools. >_>
wjb428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wjb428
Member since 2003 • 1372 Posts
While that may seem like a good idea to a person, there is always someone a different religion that might get offended when you start teaching. Religion in schools would sort of be forcing someone into a certain religion as their teacher may be catholic whereas they are muslim, christian, or whatever. So as long as there is religion in schools someone is bound to be offended by it and cause some sort of law suit to pop up against the school.BladeOfHeaven
1st, WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS OFFENDED!? 2nd. Evolution Offends me so we cant teach it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I will admit that there are some liberal schools that get upset at the term "God", or at least from what I hear. However, where I live, the case is different if you mention evolution.

wjb428

Religion isn't a theory, nor is it scientific, obviously since God supposedly can defy natural laws. Evolution is scientific and it is a theory, which makes it extremely credible.

wjb428

Believing isn't enough.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." -John 14:12 (NIV)

Also, there are plenty of people who believe in religion and in evolution. They are not in conflict.

wjb428

That's not an excuse to sin, and also, you could have used the other thread for this.

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bsman00
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"]While that may seem like a good idea to a person, there is always someone a different religion that might get offended when you start teaching. Religion in schools would sort of be forcing someone into a certain religion as their teacher may be catholic whereas they are muslim, christian, or whatever. So as long as there is religion in schools someone is bound to be offended by it and cause some sort of law suit to pop up against the school.wjb428
1st, WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS OFFENDED!? 2nd. Evolution Offends me so we cant teach it.

Logic offends you?
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"]While that may seem like a good idea to a person, there is always someone a different religion that might get offended when you start teaching. Religion in schools would sort of be forcing someone into a certain religion as their teacher may be catholic whereas they are muslim, christian, or whatever. So as long as there is religion in schools someone is bound to be offended by it and cause some sort of law suit to pop up against the school.wjb428

Who cares? The parents of the students who will sue your ass if you offend their child thats who cares :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
1st, WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS OFFENDED!? 2nd. Evolution Offends me so we cant teach it.wjb428
I sense a contradiction. It's okay if it offends others, but if it offends you, that's different.
Buddha_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Buddha_basic

So you are prepared to suggest the teaching of "the spaghetti monster" in schools alongside christianity...right?
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts

wjb428

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
I think you should be able to choose religion as a class in a public school. I don't think it should be mandatory though.
chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
It should be an elective used to learn about different religions if it is implimented. I go to a Catholic School and have a Cartholic theology class. Stupid ass class but we are required. The teachers are Catholic fanatics who shove it down all the kids throats. If you watch the root of all evil by Richard Dawkins you know what I am talking about. It doesnt affect our science course too much cause our chem teacher is atheist lol. Dont know about our Bio teacher next year though.
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

I'm an agnostic atheist and Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Catholics and Jehova's Witnesses offend me. Therefore we shouldn't teach these religions in school either.

Horray for faulty logic.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts
I don't believe the TC had intentions on commenting any further in this thread, and with good reason.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

Nobody will sue if you say "God". I doubt anybody will even care if you say it either. Atheists won't be offended (hell, I even say "oh God" quite a bit), nor will the majority of religious people.

Now, if you start teaching it in cl@ssrooms as fact, you can bet people will complain (and with good reason). Religion is not backed by facts or any observable evidence, and as a result, has no place in public schools as a mandatory cl@ss. Learn it on your own time.

[QUOTE="wjb428"]

wjb428

Theories are based on facts and a great deal of observations. They are not just "guesses" as you'd like us to assume.

Why don't we stop teaching the Theory of Gravity in schools while we're at it?

wjb428

So... we're essentially being threatened to believe in something? Why should I believe in something if I don't actually believe it?

And besides. Say there is a god, but it's different than the Christian god. And say this god is worshipped by another religion, and if you aren't part of that other religion, you're going to hell. What good is believing in Christianity now? There's no way to prove if there is actually a god out there, he'd tolerate people who believe in other religions.

wjb428

Nobody ever said it did. But I can imagine how your life could be pretty boring if all you do is sit at the computer and write poorly-researched arguments for being Christian in an attempt to convert people...

Overrated_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Overrated_Hero
Member since 2008 • 3439 Posts
Back in my elementary school we never learned evolution, all we did was learn Religion the class was easy because we didn't really learn anything besides the basics.
jecht290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jecht290
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts
One of the most ignorant posts I have EVER seen on gamespot. It really is almost disgusting.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

wjb428

Dude, first of all, America was actually founded on the idea of religious tolerance, so saying "if you want to be atheist, America isnt the place for you" is truly against the principles of America. Second, using one, hypothetical example that you created to suit your purpose proves nothing.

The reason "God" isn't taught in the classroom is because there's nothing to say. The lecture would look like this: "It's possible that there is a God or gods that greated us all," since you cannot teach any specific religion. Besides, it's not as though people do not know about the theory that a god or gods exist(s).

By the way, your idea that "if you believe in Religion...Christ" assumes that Christianity is the true, and only, religion. It most certainly is not the only religion, and it is highly debatable whether or not it is the "true" religion. Besides, if you taught any one religion, you would have to teach any religion that someone asked you to teach. So, if you try to get Christianity taught in my school system, I will try to get the religion of ancient Greece taught in yours, and see how much you like it.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I grew up with having religion classes, it's a typical Norwegian school thing. There we learned about the whole bunch of mayor religions nowadays for about 8 whole school years. Of course there were those that didn't want to attend but basically we were forced since we would be graded. "You can all learn about the religions, however you don't need to believe in them. By learning about them you'll better understand and tolerate the religion and those that believe in it", would one of my teachers always say. Frankly she was right. I don't care about religion when I meet someone new, if their religion restricts them from something then I don't whine and complain about it.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

wjb428
Pascal's wager fails epically. After all... which God to 'believe' in? And would that God be happy if you were pretending to believe in him, and for selfish reasons? Oh, and another thing. No, the USA was NOT founded on 'religion and stuff', unless by 'stuff' you mean the separation of church and state. Evolution is a theory, yes. And so is cell theory. And germ theory. ;) Lastly, evolution and religion are not mutually exclusive.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
Joke thread?
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
I believe that a world religions class should be mandatory in high school, it teaches a lot about other cultures around the world and gives students a better understanding of the world they live in.
Gamer4Iife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gamer4Iife
Member since 2008 • 6010 Posts
Religion is a belief, it shouldn't be part of anyone's education PERIOD.
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
Who says you can't have religion in school? It's called private school where you can teach whatever you want... Public school is funded by the tax payers and therefore its curriculum is at their whim.
ParadoX_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ParadoX_83
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

But we have churches for that....Buddha_basic

I agree, and thats what religious schools are for.! We should maintain the right to have a choice.!!

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

damn it, i hate these threads.

it just makes everyone hate christians THAT much more because of the ignorant posts. :roll:

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
No. Hm, that was easy. >_>
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Well, only if they say that it is completely fictional first.
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
We had religious education at my school. Needless to say i hated it.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#41 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Hmm. Maybe if it was an added additional course where you had the OPTION of whether or not you want to take it.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I'm all for teaching about rligons and the idea of kids making up thier own minds is fair enough but i'ld rather have them taught something which is more likely to get them past thier exams and get a job, there's enough on the curriculum as is.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blood-Scribe

I'm all for teaching about rligons and the idea of kids making up thier own minds is fair enough but i'ld rather have them taught something which is more likely to get them past thier exams and get a job, there's enough on the curriculum as is.markop2003

Probably too much at that.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Funky_Llama
I'm all for teaching about rligons and the idea of kids making up thier own minds is fair enough but i'ld rather have them taught something which is more likely to get them past thier exams and get a job, there's enough on the curriculum as is.markop2003
You clearly read my mind and stole my argument against PE. :P
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blood-Scribe

Joke/Imitation thread confirmed:

Get religion out of schools!

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Funky_Llama

Joke/Imitation thread confirmed:

Get religion out of schools!

Blood-Scribe
I think it was just a reaction to it. TC seemed consistently wrong in the evolution thread, anyway.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
If kids want to learn religion they read the books for them, or go to the church.. Churchs only outnumber schools by a huge margin.. Why must there be more places to teach religion? WJb, your ignorance is what is stopping intellectual progression in this country due to you being extremely bias.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

:lol:

Wait, you're not serious are you? :|

Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts
No... Just no. :|
rockon1215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rockon1215
Member since 2007 • 1665 Posts

This country was not founded on religion. It was founded on the FREEDOM of religion and the seperation of church and state (teaching religion in a public school violates this). The actual founding fathers were Deists. They believe god existed, but they didn't believe he regularly intervened in man's world. They believed god gave man his reason and left them alone

kinda off-topic NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I just broke my promise never to post in a religion thread. Damn.And a possible imitation/joke one at that. Damn.Damn