Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

http://time.com/5537741/foldable-smartphones/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1qlhzNjgI

For a peek at the cutting-edge smartphones you can expect to see (and even buy) later this year, look no further than Mobile World Congress, the annual Super Bowl of the handset world. And one clear trend from this year’s MWC, which wraps up Feb. 28, is the rise of “foldable” smartphones. With the appearance of a regular handset but the ability to open up to become more tablet-like, foldable smartphones are looking like the next big thing in gadgetdom. But will they be a bona-fide hit with consumers, or quickly relegated to the proverbial junk drawer of tech history?

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

I remember when Sony showed off a flexible oled screen like 12 years ago. I'm glad Huawei finally got around to stealing that tech and bringing it to the market.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

They're cost prohibitive right now. Maybe when they get cheaper we'll see more of them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

They're cost prohibitive right now. Maybe when they get cheaper we'll see more of them.

They are just raising the price ceiling. Soon the floor will after.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@qx0d said:

http://time.com/5537741/foldable-smartphones/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1qlhzNjgI

For a peek at the cutting-edge smartphones you can expect to see (and even buy) later this year, look no further than Mobile World Congress, the annual Super Bowl of the handset world. And one clear trend from this year’s MWC, which wraps up Feb. 28, is the rise of “foldable” smartphones. With the appearance of a regular handset but the ability to open up to become more tablet-like, foldable smartphones are looking like the next big thing in gadgetdom. But will they be a bona-fide hit with consumers, or quickly relegated to the proverbial junk drawer of tech history?

Foldable smartphones are something no one is asking for.

Phones are already big enough so I don´t think this will be a hit, it reminds me of my dads old Nokia 9600 or thereabouts, which was a massive "foldable" phone

It was also clever but nothing people were asking for and quickly vanished into obscurity like these kinds of phones.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Pretty cool to fold phones

You take it out of your pocket unfold it. Once your done fold it back and put it in your the pocket. It's going to be a very nice transition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I remember like 15 years ago, I was in a training, and some guy was like obsessed with talking about nano tech, and we spent one afternoon after testing, just reading about the future of foldable phones that will strap to our wrists and shit. Its weird that it took so long, cause I'm ready to wear my phone.

I feel the future is wearing glasses with Hololens 2 tech build in. And that our wrist watch would have the ear bud that pops out that we put in our ear when we want to talk, or just have the glasses have some device that goes in your ear. Who needs the phone, when that can be stuffed in our watch or glasses.

I mean whos gonna need eye transplants for cybernetic eyes when we can just wear glasses.