George Lucas wanted the sequel trilogy to be about the Whills.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

They appeared in the clone wars animated serie but it's the first time I've heard about them.(Since I didn't watch it)

Pretty sure it would have been much better than sequel trilogy.

Edit for those that don't want to watch the video:

GL: [The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.

GL: If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

So... ...more midichlorians stuff.

One bullet dodged... ...and straight into another one, then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@madrocketeer: There is nothing wrong about midichlorians.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Pretty much, lol! I remember reading a set of novels that took place after VI. I'm gonna stick with those.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@dorog1995: It sounds interesting. I'm definitely into the idea of explaining more about the mythology of the Force and how it works. I don't think of it as a sacred cow like some other people do; I'm always up inching towards a greater understanding of how everything works. It may have been terrible in execution but at least I'd be willing to hear out where it all would've gone.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Dave Filoni picks up on this idea and incorporates it somehow, given that he worships Lucas and likes to explore the mythology of the Force in large chunks from time to time.

GL is totally right though that fans would've hated it, though :(

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@dorog1995 said:

Other than some excruciating expositions in the middle of the movie which obliterates any sense of mystery and wonder, then sure, there's nothing wrong with Lucas's magical space amoebas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

So we'd get to choose between acid and a meat grinder? Oh joy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@madrocketeer said:
@dorog1995 said:

Other than some excruciating expositions in the middle of the movie which obliterates any sense of mystery and wonder, then sure, there's nothing wrong with Lucas's magical space amoebas.

Midichlorians were always a part of the storyline.(And were in the early drafts of A New Hope) And if you don't know sequels will always take the mystery and wonder away from the storyline.

They were just there to explain why some characters are powerful in the force and can be trained as a jedi while others like Han Solo can't. And explain to us that why Anakin was powerful in the force.

While in TFA a Mary Sue character just comes off and becomes even more powerful than Anakin Skywalker without any training at all.

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."

―George Lucas, establishing guidelines for the Expanded Universe in 1977

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@madrocketeer said:

Pretty much, lol! I remember reading a set of novels that took place after VI. I'm gonna stick with those.

That's the best thing to do.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7268 Posts

I'm kind of glad this didn't happen.

And yes, I like the Disney sequels so far. The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. Bite me.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@dorog1995 said:
@madrocketeer said:
@dorog1995 said:

Midichlorians were always a part of the storyline.(And were in the early drafts of A New Hope) And if you don't know sequels will always take the mystery and wonder away from the storyline.

They were just there to explain why some characters are powerful in the force and can be trained as a jedi while others like Han Solo can't. And explain to us that why Anakin was powerful in the force.

While in TFA a Mary Sue character just comes off and becomes even more powerful than Anakin Skywalker without any training at all.

"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."

―George Lucas, establishing guidelines for the Expanded Universe in 1977

Lucas had a lot of ideas that didn't make it into the original films and they were better for it.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Byshop: But this is not one of them.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It could had been interesting, but with how he handled the prequels, I would be skeptical about it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator
@dorog1995 said:

@Byshop: But this is not one of them.

I'm with @madrocketeer on this one. Providing a technical explanation for something that didn't need it doesn't make it better and can often have the opposite effect.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

Also this:

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Byshop: Shows how shitty some Star Wars fans are. Without George Lucas there would be no Star Wars. just because some fans hate prequels doesn't make them bad.

I'm not saying that prequel trilogy were masterpieces but neither were Original trilogy movies. Fans are so much blinded in nostalgia. They criticize prequels for some plotholes/acting while the OT had these problems too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58302 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

No, there is nothing "wrong" with it, but it was alienating and disappointing to take this thing many fans considered for decades mysterious, mystical, and whimsical and essentially say "No, it's just science. Tiny critters in your blood, that's all".

I mean it's basically like finding out Santa Claus isn't real all over again. Just really disappointing, a part of your childhood died when the whole midichlorians thing came about. I mean yeah it's not "wrong" but it ain't right, that's for damn sure.

@dorog1995 said:

@Byshop: Shows how shitty some Star Wars fans are. Without George Lucas there would be no Star Wars. just because some fans hate prequels doesn't make them bad.

I'm not saying that prequel trilogy were masterpieces but neither were Original trilogy movies. Fans are so much blinded in nostalgia. They criticize prequels for some plotholes/acting while the OT had these problems too.

Without George Lucas at the helm, we get Episode V, arguably the best episode out of all of them.

I am eternally grateful to Lucas for more or less creating Star Wars, but he also ruined it a few times.

Fun fact: Hayden Christensen is actually a pretty good actor, he just had a really terrible script to read in episode 1-3. You think it's Hayden's fault for bitching about sand and it's coarseness? Nope, all Lucas.

I'm not saying Lucas is bad or great, I'm saying it's a little complicated. What I will say, however, is this: Star Wars is better off without him involved.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@mrbojangles25: First of all Midichlorians are not the Force.(This is the common misconception) Midichlorians in your blood attract the force so more midichlorians=more force sensitivity.

As for the sense of mystery in SW, well SW always had some science fiction in it.(Instead of flying carpets we have space ships, instead of real swords we have lightsabers)

@mrbojangles25 said:

Without George Lucas at the helm, we get Episode V, arguably the best episode out of all of them.

Fun fact that it was George Lucas himself that asked Irvin Kreshner(His mentor) to come and direct episode V. And why do you take all the credits from GL ? He was the story writer.(The story that you fans love)

@mrbojangles25 said:

Fun fact: Hayden Christensen is actually a pretty good actor, he just had a really terrible script to read in episode 1-3. You think it's Hayden's fault for bitching about sand and it's coarseness? Nope, all Lucas.

Not saying he is bad, But that was the whole point of Anakin Skywalker's character. He was weak in communicating with Padme and couldn't control his feelings. (Jedi were forbidden to love and Obiwan wasn't as good as Quai gon for Anakin)

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm not saying Lucas is bad or great, I'm saying it's a little complicated. What I will say, however, is this: Star Wars is better off without him involved.

Don't know but ever since that Disney has bought SW they have caused disappointment.(Cancelling Clone Wars ,TFA, The Last Jedi , "The Force Is Female", shutting down Lucasarts and giving SW license to EA)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58302 Posts

@dorog1995: fair enough. you make a good argument, I'll give you that :)

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

It's not some fans it's many people that hate the prequels along with many of them considering them bad in their opinions. They are far from the worst movies out there but definitely had their problems. As for the OT, maybe, but you can't deny that most people loved the OT trilogy for many reasons despite some of the problems they had.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator
@dorog1995 said:

Fans can be picky, but lots of people don't like the prequels and for a lot of good reasons.

Also, it's very telling that the best argument that people make for the prequels isn't about trying to argue that they are good quality but instead the best they can do is downplay the quality of the originals.

-Byshop