George Lucas criticizes Disney and The Force Awakens

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

George Lucas has criticized the latest installment of “Star Wars,” the series he created, in an interview with Charlie Rose, describing the film as too “retro” for his taste and jokingly comparing the Walt Disney Company, which bought the rights to the franchise in 2012, to “white slavers” who had bought his children.

Mr. Lucas appeared particularly unhappy with the direction the “Star Wars” franchise has taken since he sold the rights to it, along with Lucasfilm, his company, to Disney for $4 billion. He compared the sale to a breakup and a divorce.

“These are my kids. All the Star Wars films,” he said. “I love them, I created them, I’m very intimately involved in them.”

He added, trailing off with a laugh: “And I sold them to the white slavers that take these things and. …”

ARTICLE

LOL!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 17625 Posts

Didn't he sell the rights to the property when he did so that he could avoid a marginally higher capital gains rate that he would have incurred if he'd sold them later?

He must have cared deeply.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20056 Posts

Lol white slavers.

What does he mean by that? Was it too PC for him?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

People are making way too big a deal about this. Yes, the joke was in bad taste. But that's what it was: a joke. And it was actually a self-deprecating one, rather than a slam against Disney. The gist of it, as I understand it, is "Star Wars was my baby, and I got rid of it for money." That seems to me a jab against HIMSELF for selling out.

And even then, it doesn't seem to be that harsh. He pretty much admits, "they wanted to do something else, so fine." And he was laughing during the white slavers remark, so it's pretty clear that it was just a bad joke.

But let's not make it out as if he's actually crying over Disney's treatment or anything like that. He might not be happy with Disney's take, but he's not asking for a pity party. He agreed to sell it, that's what he wanted. And if anything's clear after the prequels, it's that George Lucas does what he wants, because he can. Doesn't mean we have to demonize the guy for feeling a little bittersweet about it. After all, the fucking FANS act like Star Wars is their goddamn baby. And they had nothing to do with the shit. If ANYONE has a right to feel like Star Wars is his baby, it's George Lucas. That is like, THE defining achievement of his professional life, and he sold it for money. His sentiments are an understandable reaction, but it's not like he's asking for pity after recieving a check for FOUR BILLION DOLLARS.

There's no reason to make this out as anything more than a poorly worded self-deprecating joke. Context, people. Just because we hate the man and hope he burns in hell for the few times he made some bad Star Wars movies doesn't mean we have to twist everything he says to fit into that narrative.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13403 Posts

4 billion is really nothing compared to what Disney is going to make. lol

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

Well thats a lesson for him not to be Self Greedy. I have a feeling Disney might try to milk the Star Wars franchise.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

He has a point, Disney does hold a lot of IP slaves.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Was Lucas broke or mad? Why did he sold off SW franchise ???

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39144 Posts

@Legend002 said:

4 billion is really nothing compared to what Disney is going to make. lol

Don't forget Disney has Marvel in it so that doubles the amount Disney will make. Disney on a world domination.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

He's just whining that the film is getting great reviews and considered far better than the prequels. He didn't have to sell it but I think it is safe to say many are glad he did

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Hardly his baby. He certainly conceived the child and was there for the first few years of its life, but then hedisappeared and only sent alimony checks while raking in the huge success the child became, returning once in a while to punch the kid in the face, before making a final return when the kid was all grown up, to kidnap it and torture it for years in his basement. Finally, he sold his child into slavery to pay his own bills, but it turns out it was not slavers but liberators. There is now hope of Star Wars.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5847 Posts

To paraphrase Balrog (U.S.): George Lucas got paid.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

He's just jelly that the series is being taken to new heights without him.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98092 Posts

**** him.

He sold the franchise and all rights to it for $4 billion.

He has no right to complain about what the new owners are doing with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I wonder what the clauses werein regards to episodes 1through 6. I know that there was some kind of "no tampering" in the agreement.

Lucas is saddened because the nature and themes of the series have been altered.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 28902 Posts

He also later recanted the "white slavers" comment. Anyway he just said that he wouldn't have done the whole retro feeling thing with the movie had he done it. Personally I don't really see what the big deal is with how he expressed his feelings on the movie.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

@davillain-:

They also own ESPN, which was news to me. And yet apparently, that isn't working out so well for them right now...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@Heirren said:

I wonder what the clauses werein regards to episodes 1through 6. I know that there was some kind of "no tampering" in the agreement.

Lucas is saddened because the nature and themes of the series have been altered.

It was so nice back when the morality wasn't this giant black-vs-white billboard.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15816 Posts

@Heirren said:

It's somewhat complicated. Even though Disney now owns the IP and characters, 20th Century Fox still owns the theatrical, home video, and distribution rights to the prequel trilogy and episodes 5 & 6 through May 2020. The real complication comes with episode 4, which fox owns "in perpetuity", in all media, worldwide. In other words, Fox permanently owns episode 4 forever, and until they hammer out some sort of deal with Disney, I wouldn't hold your breath on a proper complete collection anytime soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@foxhound_fox:

Episode 7 has turned it into an elementary "believe in yourself" shtick. People couldn't seem to grasp the midichlorian concept, which truly goes hand in hand with episode 4 through 6.

"The force is an energy field...penetrates us...binds the galaxy together.. " there was always a physicality to the force.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coonana
Member since 2003 • 5909 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Actually new lows would be a more appropriate way to describe Episode 7.

A Star Wars movie is not inherently good if it properly emulates the style of the original trilogy. This movie showed great actors spewing out bad lines directed by Abrams who is the most overrated director in Hollywood. This movie showed us that the corporate influence on Star Wars is more prevalent than ever.

They gave this movie the Jurassic World treatment of a reboot. It works for the Jurassic series, but that level of meta cynicism is so damaging to the world of Star Wars. Abrams instead of making a good villain out of Adam Driver (great actor), used him as a symbolism for angry Star Wars purists. I am a fan of film, never been a Star Wars guy on a specific level and this movie even failed me.

Abrams does not have to worry about Star Wars fans hating this movie like they did the prequels. He gave them what they wanted, a superficial package. Most Star Wars fans seem to be happy with these movies tactlessly pulling lines and nods from the OG trilogy.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

A Star Wars movie is not inherently good if it properly emulates the style of the original trilogy. This movie showed great actors spewing out bad lines directed by Abrams who is the most overrated director in Hollywood. This movie showed us that the corporate influence on Star Wars is more prevalent than ever.

They gave this movie the Jurassic World treatment of a reboot. It works for the Jurassic series, but that level of meta cynicism is so damaging to the world of Star Wars. Abrams instead of making a good villain out of Adam Driver (great actor), used him as a symbolism for angry Star Wars purists. I am a fan of film, never been a Star Wars guy on a specific level and this movie even failed me.

Abrams does not have to worry about Star Wars fans hating this movie like they did the prequels. He gave them what they wanted, a superficial package. Most Star Wars fans seem to be happy with these movies tactlessly pulling lines and nods from the OG trilogy.

I really liked the movie. However, the similarities with A New Hope did bother me. It would have been okay if they took a few things from it, but damn near the entire plot was lifted from A New Hope and that's ridiculous. I actually smiled at parts that were supposed to be serious simply due to the fact that they used the same damn plot device. Abrams isn't directing the other 2 so here's to hoping they will be more of their own movies.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coonana

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

I really liked the movie. However, the similarities with A New Hope did bother me. It would have been okay if they took a few things from it, but damn near the entire plot was lifted from A New Hope and that's ridiculous. I actually smiled at parts that were supposed to be serious simply due to the fact that they used the same damn plot device. Abrams isn't directing the other 2 so here's to hoping they will be more of their own movies.

I can understand people liking it in spite of the way it badly rehashes events mainly from Episode 4 but also from other parts of the trilogy.

He still damaged that universe and how an old character said goodbye to the series was completely rushed.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

So being one of the best selling movies of all-time breaking all sorts of records and being second-best rated movie of the series is new lows now?

LOL!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

Any Star Wars film is a superficial package.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coonana

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

So being one of the best selling movies of all-time breaking all sorts of records and being second-best rated movie of the series is new lows now?

LOL!

Metacritic and box office literally have nothing to do with the quality of a film. They could have used sock puppets as the main characters as long as they emulated the original trilogy's look and Star Wars fans/casual fans would have ate it up.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coonana

@GreySeal9: The original trilogy was not a superficial package. Maybe everything after that was.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LostProphetFLCL

@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

LOL!

Metacritic and box office literally have nothing to do with the quality of a film. They could have used sock puppets as the main characters as long as they emulated the original trilogy's look and Star Wars fans/casual fans would have ate it up.

They mean a hell of a lot more than your opinion does!

Also, this ENTIRE SERIES has been EXTREMELY safe. You do realize that Lucas came up with Star Wars by trying to just piece together different elements of different successful movies, right? The whole story of "A New Hope" is nothing more than a copy paste of "the Hero's Journey" and the whole reason the lightsabers even came to be is because he was trying to copy/remake the movie "Seven Samurai" and that's not even getting into the fact that A New Hope actually was supposed to be a freaking "Flash Gordon" movie until they screwed up on getting the rights to that series.

It is actually really fitting that the reboot of the series would take a lot of elements from the original movies seeing as this entire series was never about being original in the first place, but putting together elements of successful movies and putting the space twist on it to make a buck.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox

@Heirren said:

@foxhound_fox:

Episode 7 has turned it into an elementary "believe in yourself" shtick. People couldn't seem to grasp the midichlorian concept, which truly goes hand in hand with episode 4 through 6.

"The force is an energy field...penetrates us...binds the galaxy together.. " there was always a physicality to the force.

Your paraphrase falsely.

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.

I'm not a mega-nerd and I haven't read anything Lucas wrote about the Force before he made the prequel trilogy, so I only have the canon to work on here... and Yoda clearly says the Force is an energy field unrelated to anything physical. That might have been changed in the Special Edition to cover up the retcon of course.

But with the prequel trilogy, and the new canon it brings in, obviously the Force is physical and there is nothing I can do to change that.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2149 Posts

George should shut up and put his money where his mouth is. He's certainly got enough money to make any movie he wants so until then he'll be known as the guy who made 3 groundbreaking movies and decades later 3 that nearly killed a franchise loved worldwide.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17592 Posts

@fenriz275: " and decades later 3 that nearly killed a franchise loved worldwide."

Why the other 3 failed?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26783 Posts

@PSP107:

poor pacing, poorly written, and Jar Jar Binks. So many times you could fall asleep in those movies before something interesting happens.

Really the only thing I remember from Episode 2 was the fight between Yoda and Dooku.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

I think he's just jealous.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167875 Posts

He shouldn't have sold the rights then. It's not his anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@foxhound_fox:

That's obi wan from episode4. Yodas coincides with it. He's referring moreso to the mind-- the human spirit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36268 Posts

he's just butthurt he made three shitty prequels and some young blood swooped in and made him look like a chump, you'd think considering he only wrote and direct Episode IV prior while he handed off Empire and Jedi to other writers and directors that he'd be use to it, but I guess not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@lamprey263:

The prequels are brilliant. Force Awakens is just fan service. There's no character. It could be Transformers if it wasn't called Star Wars.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26783 Posts

@Heirren:

The prequels were particularly lame....even Revenge of the Sith had some bad pacing.

The Force Awakens wasn't very original but it was well-paced and enjoyable. Hopefully Disney gives Rian Johnson some creative freedom in the next movie, he's capable.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26016 Posts

I can understand where GL is coming from, he wasn't happy when he saw the screening cause of certain elements (I won't spoil it) copied from the EU, which we all know Disney has made Star Wars EU none canon. Then you have Abrams, before TFA I thought he was a decent director but after TFA his movies are becoming predictable, everything I predicted that would happen in TFA happened and it annoyed the hell out of me. It didn't help that Disney vomited Star Wars commercials left and right, hell even one of them spoiled something about Rey (it was a duracell battery commercial) that happens in the movie, seriously chill out on the commercials for the next movie.

As for the prequels, yes ep 1 was garbage, ep 2 was meh and ep 3 was actually pretty good except Padme and her "death by giving child birth" scene which was so horribly done and Christensen was a horrible Anakin (Obi was such a BAMF in ep 3).

Pe4chy96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pe4chy96
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

well he has corrected himself and said that its all fine... im sure he realized that after his words he could lose a million or two lol

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

LOL!

>i still believe numbers and ratings equal quality in a product! lol! XD

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 36002 Posts

i can't find any reason to care about this :P

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#44 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26217 Posts

Lucas is just mad because now he won't get to do Episode VIII: Yoda Files Tax Returns.

Luke: Where's all my stuff?1

Yoda: repossessed, they were. To the dark side, compound interest leads!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Heirren said:

It's somewhat complicated. Even though Disney now owns the IP and characters, 20th Century Fox still owns the theatrical, home video, and distribution rights to the prequel trilogy and episodes 5 & 6 through May 2020. The real complication comes with episode 4, which fox owns "in perpetuity", in all media, worldwide. In other words, Fox permanently owns episode 4 forever, and until they hammer out some sort of deal with Disney, I wouldn't hold your breath on a proper complete collection anytime soon.

Don't forget that they DESPISE each other.. Quicksilver was put on Xmen Days of Future Past (it was originally planned to be Juggernaut but they caught wind of Quicksilver being in the Avengers movie) just to spite Disney in being the first to have Quicksilver show up in the movies before Avengers 2.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 2887 Posts

I want to respect George Lucas for his work on the original trilogy (even though others deserve the credit more), his opinion is irrelevant since A.) He sold Star Wars for billions and B.) his work on the prequels is horrible and his additions to the sequels were just as bad. Seriously, if there's any movie(s) that deserve a remake/reboot, it's the prequels.

The funny thing is that the politics in Force Awakens is much more interesting than whatever happened in I, II, and III, mostly because it's not in your face and it's much more realistic.

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coonana

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

LOL!

Also, this ENTIRE SERIES has been EXTREMELY safe. You do realize that Lucas came up with Star Wars by trying to just piece together different elements of different successful movies, right? The whole story of "A New Hope" is nothing more than a copy paste of "the Hero's Journey" and the whole reason the lightsabers even came to be is because he was trying to copy/remake the movie "Seven Samurai" and that's not even getting into the fact that A New Hope actually was supposed to be a freaking "Flash Gordon" movie until they screwed up on getting the rights to that series.

It is actually really fitting that the reboot of the series would take a lot of elements from the original movies seeing as this entire series was never about being original in the first place, but putting together elements of successful movies and putting the space twist on it to make a buck.

I am well aware that Star Wars retreads the path of a story that has been repeating itself since before the Old Testament. That doesn't mean I want it to repeat the cycle so closely that I can start to predict exactly what happens. At a certain point why don't we have Abrams just remaster the OG trilogy as there is zero interest in even having these characters do anything but follow what exactly has been done before.

I am not going to entertain the illogical conversation as to why using metacritic as "proof" that this movie is good or bad. At the end of the day I am glad you guys enjoyed it. At the same time I am sad that Abrams continues to dupe millions of fans of various fictions.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13851 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:
@coonana said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

LOL!

A New Hope was definitely not original. The original script was basically just a sci-fi version of Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, before Lucas re-wrote it into a pastiche of Kurosawa, Dune, and Flash Gordon. But it doesn't really matter, because the series became a lot more original with Empire Strikes Back, which was when the series came into its own. "I am your father" is still one of the most famous twists in movie history.

Also, Metacritic is less reliable than Rotten Tomatoes, where The Force Awakens has a lower average rating (8.2) than A New Hope (8.5) and Empire Strikes Back (8.9).

coonana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coonana

A New Hope derives its work from tons of other fictions but does so in a way that showcases a very compelling story.TFA retreads its own previous stories.

Can you understand the dilution going on here?