Gender Identity and Mental Health

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

DISCLAIMER: It is not my intention to offend anyone. I have created this thread out of genuine curiosity in regard to gender identity and mental health.

A delusion is a belief in phenomena that do not coincide with reality. Hence, someone who believes they are a platypus or a dog is delusional, since they are actually a Human. Likewise, is it not fair to say that a male who believes he is a female is delusional, since he has XY chromosomes, a male genitalia, testes, and male hormone levels? The same applies to a female who thinks she's a male. Furthermore, isn't the use of surgery and hormone therapy to make a transgendered person physically similar to the gender they think they are proof of their delusion? The fact that they have to make their belief into reality (or a close approximation of it) proves that their belief is a delusion, because if it was true, they wouldn't have to make changes since they'd already be the gender they think they are.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Check this page out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder

Basically people think it's a brain type thing - like when you're in the womb you're exposed to a lot of the wrong hormones or something. I think there's been stuff shown where some transgendered people's brains were like the brains of people who were the sex they identified with.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

this will not end well

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

this will not end well

Storm_Marine

my thoughts exactly.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BluRayHiDef

Basically people think it's a brain type thing - like when you're in the womb you're exposed to a lot of the wrong hormones or something. I think there's been stuff shown where some transgendered people's brains were like the brains of people who were the sex they identified with.

cain006

I'm aware of this possible explanation. However, I don't think it legitimizes the beliefs of transgendered people in regard to their gender. My reason is that chemical/ hormonal imbalances in the brain are always considered abnormal and as causes of mental health disorders. So, why should chemical/ hormonal imbalances that cause transgendered people to identify with the opposite gender be the one case where they are accommodated and not cured/ corrected?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Sometimes the mind of a dog gets trapped in a human body. What's your point?
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Bradley Manning needs to be on some serious meds and locked away

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

[QUOTE="cain006"]

BluRayHiDef

I'm aware of this possible explanation. However, I don't think it legitimizes the beliefs of transgendered people in regard to their gender. My reason is that chemical/ hormonal imbalances in the brain are always considered abnormal and as causes of mental health disorders. So, why should chemical/ hormonal imbalances that cause transgendered people to identify with the opposite gender be the one case where they are accommodated and not cured/ corrected?

Well technically they are being corrected by bringing their Gender to be the one they identify with

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

BluRayHiDef

Because we can't correct it? Believe me, I'm sure most transgendered people would love to feel right in their bodies. I mean they spend a shit ton of money and a good portion of them are left not looking not they way they want to.

As for why it is or isn't classified as a mental disorder, I don't know. I'm not going to pretend to know as much as people who have studied this stuff for years and years.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Can't say I agree with this. I feel like you assume those who identify with the opposite gender actually think they are the other gender biologically, even though they are not, which isn't the case. They simply identify more with the opposite gender in how they view the world, themselves emotionally, etc. and take steps to make their biological self more in tune with how they feel. The real delusion here is thinking someone who is a male identifying themselves as a woman is in any way comparable to a human identifying with a f*cking platypus or any such animal.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
The real delusion here is thinking someone who is a male identifying themselves as a woman is in any way comparable to a human identifying with a f*cking platypus or any such animal. SaintLeonidas
Explain how it is any different. They are not women, no matter how much they mutilate their genitals.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] The real delusion here is thinking someone who is a male identifying themselves as a woman is in any way comparable to a human identifying with a f*cking platypus or any such animal. bobaban
Explain how it is any different. They are not women, no matter how much they mutilate their genitals.

A human emotionally identifying with another HUMAN, simply of a different gender, is in no way comparable to a human identifying themselves with a NON-HUMAN, that share no similarities other than the fact that they are living organisms that breath, eat and sh*t. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

this will not end well

lostrib

my thoughts exactly.

Have faith, lets give it a try lol.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.Rhazakna

I'm transgender, and while I wouldn't take such a pill since I'm comfortable with my identity, I wouldn't mind if any other transgender person took such a pill. It's none of my business. My main concern about such a pill is the pressure behind the prescription of it - I can't help but be reminded of people who try to push forth the nonsense that is gay conversion therapy. I don't want to see transgender people pressured to take the pill because of pressure caused by anti-transgender attitudes.

So while I wouldn't be offended by the pill itself, I would be bothered if it came out along with a clearly anti-transgender agenda.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Ooh boy, I look forward to a lengthy thread full of armchair psychologists and South Park references.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghoklebutter
Regarding the OP: you don't really understand how transgender people feel about their identities, nor do you understand the reasons some (not all) transgender people want to transition. We aren't a monolithic group.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

Regarding the OP: you don't really understand how transgender people feel about their identities, nor do you understand the reasons some (not all) transgender people want to transition. We aren't a monolithic group.ghoklebutter

Just a question, do you actually believe you are the opposite sex? or just that you feel similar to the opposite sex/acting as the opposite sex feels more comfortable/natural? 

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TerryCrew
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

cain006
Can't be the causation as steroids and anti-estrogens would be able to "Fix" the problem.
TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TerryCrew
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.

Such a "pill" does exist. It's called TRT for women who want to become men, and it's called progesterone and estrogen injections for men who want to become women. Works better with women as the cIitorus can actually form a small penis via testosterone injections.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="TerryCrew"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.

Such a "pill" does exist. It's called TRT for women who want to become men, and it's called progesterone and estrogen injections for men who want to become women. Works better with women as the cIitorus can actually form a small penis via testosterone injections.

No, hormone replacement therapy does nothing to change one's sense of gender identity - it can't make someone cisgender or transgender. It does lead to physiological changes, but that's it.
TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TerryCrew
The real delusion here is thinking someone who is a male identifying themselves as a woman is in any way comparable to a human identifying with a f*cking platypus SaintLeonidas
You're not helping the defense of why transgender identity shouldn't be considered a mental disorder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.TerryCrew

wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wait wut wut wait wait wait....

really?

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TerryCrew
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="TerryCrew"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.

No, hormone replacement therapy does nothing to change one's sense of gender identity - it can't make someone cisgender or transgender. It does lead to physiological changes, but that's it.

The introduction of large amount of testosterone can influence someone's sexual preferences and standards. While it can't make someone feel any better about their association with a particular gender it can influence who they're sexually attracted to. So theoretically it could cure gayness in men. I guess I accidentally associated transgender with homosexuality.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.Storm_Marine

wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wut wait wut wut wait wait wait....

really?

Yep. That's why a lot of transgender men are fond of the testosterone treatments. Google it if you want.
TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerryCrew
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] Yep. That's why a lot of transgender men are fond of the testosterone treatments. Google it if you want.

Do not google that.... Just take my word for it guys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"] Such a "pill" does exist. It's called TRT for women who want to become men, and it's called progesterone and estrogen injections for men who want to become women. Works better with women as the cIitorus can actually form a small penis via testosterone injections. ghoklebutter

really?

Yep. That's why a lot of transgender men are fond of the testosterone treatments. Google it if you want.

no, i'll take your word for it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-598fc45371265

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] Yep. That's why a lot of transgender men are fond of the testosterone treatments. Google it if you want.TerryCrew
Do not google that.... Just take my word for it guys.

you don't have to tell me

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="TerryCrew"] Such a "pill" does exist. It's called TRT for women who want to become men, and it's called progesterone and estrogen injections for men who want to become women. Works better with women as the cIitorus can actually form a small penis via testosterone injections. TerryCrew

The introduction of large amount of testosterone can influence someone's sexual preferences and standards. While it can't make someone feel any better about their association with a particular gender it can influence who they're sexually attracted to. So theoretically it could cure gayness in men. I guess I accidentally associated transgender with homosexuality.

I'm not entirely sure about how hormone replacement therapy can change orientation, but I know some transgender women who felt that she had a new understanding of her orientation once she started going on HRT. So what you say seems plausible to me on some level. Hell, ever since I realized I was transgender, I've had a shift in my understanding of my sexual orientation. And so once I go on HRT, my preferences might actually change somewhat. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-598fc45371265

is it........functional?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ghoklebutter

is it........functional?

Storm_Marine

I don't know if ejaculation is possible, but it can at least get erect from what I've heard. I think surgically-constructed penises are generally preferred over large cl*torises, though. With the advent of more advanced surgery techniques, a transgender man can get a penis that's not only decently large, but also capable of ejaculation (although the fluid is pretty much the same kind of juices a lady with a vagina would have).

Also, I really can't believe that word is censored. V_V Seriously GS?

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
[QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"] The real delusion here is thinking someone who is a male identifying themselves as a woman is in any way comparable to a human identifying with a f*cking platypus or any such animal. SaintLeonidas

A human emotionally identifying with another HUMAN, simply of a different gender, is in no way comparable to a human identifying themselves with a NON-HUMAN, that share no similarities other than the fact that they are living organisms that breath, eat and sh*t. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain stupid.

So you're basically saying they are less delusional. And for the record: "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." They have a penis and XY genetic makeup. Where is the EVIDENCE that they are female? None, that's where.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="bobaban"] Explain how it is any different. They are not women, no matter how much they mutilate their genitals.bobaban

So you're basically saying they are less delusional. And for the record: "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." They have a penis and XY genetic makeup. Where is the EVIDENCE that they are female? None, that's where.

well do they actually believe they are a woman, or are they just more comfortable acting as a woman?  

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]

lostrib

Well technically they are being corrected by bringing their Gender to be the one they identify with

Conversely they could give them meds that correlate with physical form....
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
gender roles are not inherently determined by ones sex, they're socially prescribed, so there's really nothing wrong with embracing the gender role they see fits them (at least mentally)
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"]Whether it's a disorder or not depends on how you define "mental disorder". One issue with calling trans people mentally ill is the stigma that comes with that, and the bigotry that follows. The idea that the transgendered should be locked away in asylums is sadly not entirely uncommon. One thing I will say, is that there are clearly parts of the left wing that would be upset and offended if a pill came out that turned trans people cisgendered. That does puzzle me a bit.Storm_Marine

really?

Yeah. That's kinda what a penis is. The human body in the womb is initially female, but then hormones change it. For example, testosterone causes the **** to change into a penis Or something like that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

LJS9502_basic

So what's the harm in either? 

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"] Such a "pill" does exist. It's called TRT for women who want to become men, and it's called progesterone and estrogen injections for men who want to become women. Works better with women as the cIitorus can actually form a small penis via testosterone injections. PannicAtack

really?

Yeah. That's kinda what a penis is. The human body in the womb is initially female, but then hormones change it. For example, testosterone causes the **** to change into a penis Or something like that.

Man I love that Lai quote on your sig :lol::lol:

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
If somebody wants to be a dog but also is a productive member of society who goes to work and pays taxes and mows their lawn, allow them to enjoy their Kibbles N Bits in peace. Likewise, if someone wants to be the sex they were not born as, as long as they're a productive member of society, what is it to anyone else? They can't possibly be hurting you. Sex is part of nature, and by sex I mean penises and vaginas. Physical genitalia. They are simply the interconnecting puzzle pieces of the human body that allow reproduction since we are not like certain animals who can reproduce asexually like worms or whatever. GENDER is something that is fluid. Gender has nothing to do with your sex. Many people who feel that they would like to be the opposite gender (IE a male by sex who would like to do female-related things like wear makeup and dresses and like princesses) do not have a problem with their genitals. Some people feel that their gender is entirely what they were not born as, and resent their genitals for being different than the other people they identify with. Some people are flip-floppers and regularly want to switch between being very masculine and very feminine, even on a daily basis and that's fine. Masculine and feminine are inventions, they are not something indisputably defined like genitals. It's far more complex than "If a guy wants to be a dog he's crazy but if a guy wants to be a girl isn't he also crazy". In the end if it isn't your body, do not worry yourself over it.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

One option accommodates reality, while the other accommodates a delusion.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Conversely they could give them meds that correlate with physical form....BluRayHiDef

One option accommodates reality, while the other accommodates a delusion.

It's only a delusion in your eyes because your entire foundation of your argument and reasoning is that trans people suffer from delusions. Your whole point was that if a trans woman was really a woman, she'd be a "woman" from birth as assigned by doctors and everything.You're positioning how you understand the world around you as an objective reality when it's simply not the case.

It gets really tiring listening to people spout off high school sex ed knowledge as if they have any clue of how the human body works. Chromosomes? They can change, they aren't immutable. Hormone levels? Can also change, even naturally by drastic levels. Genitals? They can come out atypical through birth, or seemingly typical external genitalia can hide away atypical internal reproductive organs. Sometimes there's a lack thereof. Some intersex conditions (of which there are many) can make XY women and XX men, and sometimes (albeit exceedingly rarely) they're fertile. These atypical conditions occur sometimes due to genetics, sometimes from hormone levels in utero, etc. etc. Is it so far-fetched that the development of the brain might happen atypically as compared to the rest of the body? Why, it already does, yet why do people deny that it could be a cause for gender dysphoria?

The medical community accepts intersex conditions. They occur, even if people don't want to believe they do. Just like the medical community has accepted that what trans people experience is valid, through mounting peer reviewed evidence and through decades of exhaustive research on finding efficaceous treatments. Psychotherapy didn't work, cognitive-behavioural therapy didn't work, antidepressants didn't work, anti-anxiety meds didn't work, anti-psychotics didn't work, lobotomies didn't work, etc. etc. But regulate their hormone levels within the typical range of the sex they identify with, and symptoms of dysphoria drops. Amend the state of the body to physically resemble the sex they identify with, and once again, dysphoria symptoms are reduced. Help the patient with social integration into the gender they wish to express themselves as, andagain, dysphoria symptoms are reduced. Until at one point, for some at least, the level of discomfort in their body and social role are no greater than the average person. Their dysphoria is virtually eliminated, and they're content with where they are.

Have you even remotely scanned studies from the past twenty years start consistently show more and more proof that there is a biological component that creates gender dysphoria? The biggest delusion in all of human society is that sex exists as a binary, and that sex and gender are rightfully conflated. It's all socially prescribed with little basis aside from tradition and what is understood as "common sense", where knowledge of trans* issues simply are not found, because trans* issues are simply not common. So most people cannot immediately make sense of such things, which is uncomfortable, so they rely on stigmas and tired old statements and arguments that only show how lazy people have gotten in the past years. This isn't the early 90s with Ace Ventura just coming out in theatres. We know a lot more now than we did then, and it's been a long, long time since the John Money experiments.

Some trans folk don't want surgery, and some don't even want hormones. Many of the former can't afford it or are wary of the quality of the result given by the current surgical techniques. I know some who specified to me that unless they can transplant ovaries, a uterus, etc. they're going to just wait and hope that becomes available. Some of the former group are pleased with their genitalia, or at least content enough that it doesn't pose a significant issue for them. But most prefer hormones. I know a few genderqueer folk who don't use them, just as I know some who have used them for a period of time to gaina  specific appearance, and just like I know some genderqueer folk who plan on using them for the rest of their lives. Most trans people, if they can get access to it, and if they can afford it, will get hormones. Above all else, this treatment is the most significant for the well being of trans people. Especially transsexuals, who tend to have much higher levels of dysphoria that need treating.

I've approached this post from a more scientific vein, because that seems to be your angle. In truth, even if there wasn't mounting evidence showing trans people's conditions are at least in part biologically founded, it would be a condition at least equivalent to homosexuality. Because men have dicks and women have vaginas, and they have sex for reproduction. If gay men really wanted to have sex with men, they'd be women, right? That's the kind of logic you're spouting, and that's the kind of logic peple used on homosexuals a long, long time ago, along with many of Freud's flawed theories. Fact is, some people are gay and we don't know why, we just take them at their word because it's clear that they're attracted to men, just like lesbians are attracted to women, and bisexual folk are attracted to both. If we allow ourselves to see sexuality as a spectrum, which it well and truly is, why can we not finally admit to ourselves that so is gender and sex, and that we hold innate characteristics that position ourselves along those spectrums?

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
It is not a case of wanting nor believing that you are the opposite gender from the physical sex, it is a case of being. I know I'm female, even though my body was born the wrong sex, every grain of who I am within knows that I am female and no amount of being raised as male, of being forced to be male, of ignorant, tiny minded morons enforcing me to be who they demand can change that. Gender is very complex and not as easy to define as just looking at what someone's got between their legs. A person is not the measure of their genitals, but the measure of their personality, their actions and their self identity. I never chose to be Trans*, when did you choose to be cis-gender? I never chose to be born female in a male body, I wish I had been given the choice when I was in the womb, I would have chosen to be born fully female. But that choice was never given. My mental health is just fine, it has been since accepting myself. I feel less anxious, less depressed, I feel much more focused but I would feel a lot more comfortable if my body were female. So for those of you who are cis-gender and showing your ignorance, were you born stupid or did you choose to be stupid while dismissing the actual facts in front of you? Those who are trans* are not mentally ill, but those who are ignorant and hateful, now that's a mental illness - one made from choice.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="bobaban"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="bobaban"] Explain how it is any different. They are not women, no matter how much they mutilate their genitals.

Again, that is assuming those who identify with the opposite gender literally think that biologically they are a different sex, which isn't the case. They don't wake up, look down and go "what the hell! I have a penis how can this be!" They understand fully that biologically they are one gender, they simply identify and wish to be another, and through hormone therapy and surgery some take the extra step to be more like that different gender. Someone born in the UK who moved to America and loves the country can call themselves an American, and just because they were born in the UK doesn't mean they are delusional just because they identify and wish to be American.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Maybe there are people that do surgery to become more feline or canine. or more platypus like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

DISCLAIMER: It is not my intention to offend anyone. I have created this thread out of genuine curiosity in regard to gender identity and mental health.

BluRayHiDef

Perhaps, but accidentally offending people happens a lot, so it's better you not make these kind of threads.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

So you're basically saying they are less delusional. And for the record: "A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." They have a penis and XY genetic makeup. Where is the EVIDENCE that they are female? None, that's where. bobaban

You're confused.

People who are unsure about their gender are not delusional about the sex organs they possess. Your mistake is thinking that the belief the person possesses (e.g. "I'm more of a woman than a man.") is something that can be disproved by their phyisical features. This isn't the case, since as I just said, they're not confused about the sex organs they have, they're confused about which gender they identify with.

****. Saint had this covered already...

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Great questions to ask. People with GID truly feel as though they've been born into the wrong body. This is somewhat different than the analogies you bring up -- it's impossible for a human to be a dog, or to have the brain of a dog but the body of a human. However perhaps it is possible for someone to be biological male but female a socio, developmenal, personalty, or brain chemistry sense. Regardless -- it appears that this usually isn't a choice they "make," as your post seems to imply. Therapy isn't very effective for this disorder; neither are the psychotropic medications, which are typically used for delusions. GID is probably the only mental health disorder that can be treated with surgery. ... and it works.
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

jimkabrhel

Perhaps, but accidentally offending people happens a lot, so it's better you not make these kind of threads.

IMO, sh!t like this helps people learn, though. Well, BRHD doesn't really learn, but the idea of making offensive threads to deal with certain POVs isn't inherently bad, IMO.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

dude_brahmski

IMO, sh!t like this helps people learn, though. Well, BRHD doesn't really learn, but the idea of making offensive threads to deal with certain POVs isn't inherently bad, IMO.

Agreed. You can learn a lot by the POVs expressed in throughout this thread. Topic of the day, for me. Easily.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ghoklebutter

People with GID truly feel as though they've been born into the wrong body.Meinhard1

Actually, the vast majority of transgender people I know who have experienced bodily gender dysphoria only feel that some of their sex characteristics are, for lack of a better word, wrong. The notion of a man being trapped in a woman's body, a woman being trapped in a man's body, etc. is nothing more than a stereotype as far as I can tell.