"Gay marriage will lead people to marry lawn mowers"

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

Republican Steve King (R-IA) is one of Congress’s most vocal opponents of marriage equality, and he hasn’t backed off since the Supreme Court ended the debate with its June decision in the Obergefell case. He’s proposed a resolution to have Congress reject the ruling because it “perverts the definition of marriage” and assert that states and businesses can refuse to recognize same-sex marriages. This week, he added some colorful rhetoric to punctuate his point.

As reported by journalist Matt Taibbi, while introducing Mike Huckabee at a campaign event on Thursday, King claimed that according to the Supreme Court’s ruling, “You can marry my lawnmower.”

This, however, was not even the first time King had contemplated lawnmower marriage. He’s actually been making the remark since just after the ruling came down. In late June, he was quoted as saying, “Their ruling really says anybody can marry anybody — and eventually it will be in any combination. I had a strong, Christian lawyer tell me yesterday that, under this decision that he has read, what it brings about is: It only requires one human being in this relationship — that you could marry your lawnmower with this decision. I think he’s right.”

King has a long history of making incendiary remarks about the LGBT community. He opposes nondiscrimination protections because he believes people will pretend to be gay in order to file suits; he called such protections “special rights for self-professed behavior.” If people are afraid of discrimination, he believes they should just hide their identities in the workplace so that nobody knows they’re gay in the first place. He thinks same-sex couples who want to marry are just friends, and he doesn’t expect to see any gay people in heaven.

Incidentally, Sen. Chuck Grassley, fellow Republican from Iowa and fellow opponent of same-sex marriage, was tweeting pictures Friday of a rig he set up to mow his lawn with three lawnmowers at the same time. His decision to highlight his marriage of three lawnmowers the day after King’s latest remarks may have just been a coincidence.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/08/01/3687003/steve-king-lawnmower-marriage/

*sigh*

More clowns.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Just by reading the title I automatically knew it was a republican.

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ace_of_Spades90

The fact that he had to point out that the lawyer was Christian tells me that this lawyer apparently got his law degree via mail order certificate.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Oh Steve King... people like you don't go to heaven.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

Sweet lord almighty. Have some people gone completely insane? There's really nothing that you can say to people like that. Perhaps he just has a 'thing' for lawnmowers. :P

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you Steve King?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

so what I'm getting from this guy's comments is that he really wants to marry his lawn mower

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

This gives "ride-on lawnmower" a whole new meaning.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

How do people like this even get in office.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

More idiocy from the party of stupid, a party that isn't happy until it's denying someone of their rights and blaming all of their problems on someone else. How anyone is so morally bankrupt and gullible enough to vote Republican defies all common sense.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This is bewildering. Is this serious rhetoric?

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ace_of_Spades90

@BranKetra said:

This is bewildering. Is this serious rhetoric?

This is coming from a congressman.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

That's one honeymoon night that isn't going to end well. . .

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Ace_of_Spades90: I know, so he is kind of one of the most powerful men in the world.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@Ace_of_Spades90: It makes me sad to think that people like this even exist, let alone hold a position in government...

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ace_of_Spades90

Honestly, it's people like Steve King and Indiana governor Mike Pence (surely you guys remember him? lol) who are only tainting their political parties as well as their religion.

The GOP is already having trouble attracting millenials enough as it is.

So if they want to keep making insane comments like these, they are free do so in my opinion. They are only hurting themselves.

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ace_of_Spades90

@MuD3 said:

@Ace_of_Spades90: It makes me sad to think that people like this even exist, let alone hold a position in government...

Tell me about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Stuff cranky, white Republicans say.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@Hatiko said:

This gives "ride-on lawnmower" a whole new meaning.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's just "marriage" now.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Ace_of_Spades90 said:

Republican Steve King (R-IA) is one of Congress’s most vocal opponents of marriage equality, and he hasn’t backed off since the Supreme Court ended the debate with its June decision in the Obergefell case. He’s proposed a resolution to have Congress reject the ruling because it “perverts the definition of marriage” and assert that states and businesses can refuse to recognize same-sex marriages. This week, he added some colorful rhetoric to punctuate his point.

As reported by journalist Matt Taibbi, while introducing Mike Huckabee at a campaign event on Thursday, King claimed that according to the Supreme Court’s ruling, “You can marry my lawnmower.”

This, however, was not even the first time King had contemplated lawnmower marriage. He’s actually been making the remark since just after the ruling came down. In late June, he was quoted as saying, “Their ruling really says anybody can marry anybody — and eventually it will be in any combination. I had a strong, Christian lawyer tell me yesterday that, under this decision that he has read, what it brings about is: It only requires one human being in this relationship — that you could marry your lawnmower with this decision. I think he’s right.”

King has a long history of making incendiary remarks about the LGBT community. He opposes nondiscrimination protections because he believes people will pretend to be gay in order to file suits; he called such protections “special rights for self-professed behavior.” If people are afraid of discrimination, he believes they should just hide their identities in the workplace so that nobody knows they’re gay in the first place. He thinks same-sex couples who want to marry are just friends, and he doesn’t expect to see any gay people in heaven.

Incidentally, Sen. Chuck Grassley, fellow Republican from Iowa and fellow opponent of same-sex marriage, was tweeting pictures Friday of a rig he set up to mow his lawn with three lawnmowers at the same time. His decision to highlight his marriage of three lawnmowers the day after King’s latest remarks may have just been a coincidence.

*sigh*

More clowns.

That explains why. Nothing to see here, folks. Just another bigoted asshole who belongs in 1950.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

My lawnmower is sexy as hell, the torque on that baby doesn't get any better.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

The republican party is completely insane. Not that the democrats are any good either.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

But where do you put it?

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

In England a woman recently married her pet dog so anything is possible.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

It only requires one human being in this relationship

Ehm... doesn't a relationship require at least 2 humans?!
Otherwise it'd be a pretty lonely relationship.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

After reading this thread, I got curious...

So there does exist at least one rule 34 lawnmower image...

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@samusbeliskner: I think you should look at the policies and laws the Democrats have passed and the damage they have done to people. Liberalism always generates the opposite of it's stated intent.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@JimB: Do you really believe that nonsense or do you just keep repeating that to yourself so you can sleep at night?

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SamusBeliskner

@JimB said:

@samusbeliskner: I think you should look at the policies and laws the Democrats have passed and the damage they have done to people. Liberalism always generates the opposite of it's stated intent.

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. Democratic policies have lifted millions out of poverty, created the middle class, and are responsible for every bit of progress we have seen in the past 80 years. The party of stupid has done nothing but fight progress during that time.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@xdude85 said:

My lawnmower is sexy as hell, the torque on that baby doesn't get any better.

If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ariabed said:

That's not a legal marriage though. I mean anyone can have a marriage ceremony but that doesn't mean the state will recognize it

pretty sure this guy is saying that because of the SCOTUS ruling a marriage with a lawn mower would have to be recognized

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ace_of_Spades90

@lostrib said:
@ariabed said:

That's not a legal marriage though. I mean anyone can have a marriage ceremony but that doesn't mean the state will recognize it

pretty sure this guy is saying that because of the SCOTUS ruling a marriage with a lawn mower would have to be recognized

That's exactly what he's saying, which is just crazy.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

@samusbeliskner said:
@JimB said:

Again, I don't know what you're talking about. Democratic policies have lifted millions out of poverty, created the middle class, and are responsible for every bit of progress we have seen in the past 80 years. The party of stupid has done nothing but fight progress during that time.

this kind of mindsight is every bit as dangerous as the idiotic rhetoric spewed by the politicians mentioned in the original topic. Being brainwashed is a very bad thing, regardless of which political party you are brainwashed by.

The harsh reality of the situation is that both parties are incredibly corrupt, and when put in power behave in a virtually identical way, thanks in large part to the huge lobbyists that do not care who they are giving their money to. The idea that either party created the middle class is ludicrous, hard working people who seek to better themselves created the middle class, meanwhile the policies of both parties are slowly destroying it. The idea that either party is lifting anyone out of poverty is equally ludicrous, the poor people are staying poor, the rich people are getting richer, and many in the middle are falling into the lower classes.

You really need to wake up and see what is really going on in the world, because if you really believe that democrats are any better than republicans than I have a bridge n brroklyn to sell you.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SamusBeliskner

@pook99: yeah, no. It's quite clear to anyone who does not suffer from a deluded disconnect with reality that democratic policies benefit everyone, whereas Republican policies benefit those at the top. History demonstrates this to be true. If you doubt it, try to disprove it, but you are fighting an uphill battle, having to deny reality and recorded history. Good luck.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pook99

@samusbeliskner said:

@pook99: yeah, no. It's quite clear to anyone who does not suffer from a deluded disconnect with reality that democratic policies benefit everyone, whereas Republican policies benefit those at the top. History demonstrates this to be true. If you doubt it, try to disprove it, but you are fighting an uphill battle, having to deny reality and recorded history. Good luck.

I'm very sure you are the one who is deluded here my friend. I always love arguing with brainwashed people because the only thing they are capable of saying is how bad the other party is, rather than stick up for anything their party is doing. The thing is that argument does not work on me, because I am not a republican, I hate republicans as much as I hate democrats, so telling me that republicans are bad is reaffirming what I already know.

The thing is you failed to address any of the failings of your messiah, if the democrats policies benefit everyone how come the middle class is shrinking? How come opportunities for lower classes have been shrinking? How come the states in the worst financial shape are largely blue? How come our schools are still failing? How do you rationalize the fact that Obama denounced George Bushes approach to education and then created a nearly identical system? How can you rationalize the fact that Obama said he would pull our troops out of the middle east, yet they are still there and the middle east is more volatile than ever? How can you rationalize the fact that both parties throw money at large corporations and tell the working people to f off.

Regardless of what ideology you believe in you have to look at the reality of what your party is doing, and what they are doing is not what they say they will do.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I do find it remarkable how some that deliberatly says things that make them seem like complete and utter morons, manage to find their way into positions of power.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

What a dumb douchebag Steve King must be.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#42 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

His obsession with his lawnmower is creepy. I think he's sick.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@pook99 said:
@samusbeliskner said:
@JimB said:

this kind of mindsight is every bit as dangerous as the idiotic rhetoric spewed by the politicians mentioned in the original topic. Being brainwashed is a very bad thing, regardless of which political party you are brainwashed by.

The harsh reality of the situation is that both parties are incredibly corrupt, and when put in power behave in a virtually identical way, thanks in large part to the huge lobbyists that do not care who they are giving their money to. The idea that either party created the middle class is ludicrous, hard working people who seek to better themselves created the middle class, meanwhile the policies of both parties are slowly destroying it. The idea that either party is lifting anyone out of poverty is equally ludicrous, the poor people are staying poor, the rich people are getting richer, and many in the middle are falling into the lower classes.

You really need to wake up and see what is really going on in the world, because if you really believe that democrats are any better than republicans than I have a bridge n brroklyn to sell you.

Loading Video...

Hear hear.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

American politicians continue to look like fools in the public spectrum.

What a surprise

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SamusBeliskner

@pook99: the states that are failing are largely blue? Lol. Oh, this is too good. This is a fine example of the ignorance in the party of stupid.

I hate to break it to you, but red states lead the nation in poverty, violent crime, gun violence, are three largest recipients of welfare, food stamps, and Medicaid. Red states are also most dependent on government, regrooving more on federal subsidies than they pay in taxes.

Don't believe it? Lol. Good. Any number of web searches can demonstrate these facts in a few minutes. You can try:

Most gun violent states.

States most dependent on government.

Poorest states.

Wealthiest states

States with worst education.

Ooh, and this one is just hilarious - ten pregnancy is higher in red states.

Lol, Republicans....

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#46 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Ace_of_Spades90 said:

*sigh*

More clowns.

Typical liberals, the title of this thread is a lie because it is in quotes. He never said that. His point is if you can change the definition of marriage for one thing you can do it for anything.

If you want to challenge him because he does not believe in gay marriage fine, at least do it with some intellectual honesty.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pook99

@samusbeliskner said:

@pook99: the states that are failing are largely blue? Lol. Oh, this is too good. This is a fine example of the ignorance in the party of stupid.

I hate to break it to you, but red states lead the nation in poverty, violent crime, gun violence, are three largest recipients of welfare, food stamps, and Medicaid. Red states are also most dependent on government, regrooving more on federal subsidies than they pay in taxes.

Don't believe it? Lol. Good. Any number of web searches can demonstrate these facts in a few minutes. You can try:

Most gun violent states.

Poorest states.

Wealthiest states

Lol, Republicans....

again you are speaking to me like I am a republican and I am not. I can see there is no point in talking with you though, your head is stuck way too far up the liberal party line to listen to anything else. I like that you called me a republican twice, despite the fact that I have clearly stated I hate both parties equally, however that is proof that you either have not read what I wrote or are incapable of understanding what I wrote, which was actually not that complicated.

As for your imaginary list, I would advise you take your own advice and research a bit yourself before you go and make the false claims you have made.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#48  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
@samusbeliskner said:

Most gun violent states.

Poorest states.

Wealthiest states

Lol, Republicans....

F'ing Dems and your simpleton points ....lol is right. You really think just because a state's voting population leans right or left it means something when it comes to things such as teen pregnancy? lol. So tell me this....since NYC and Chicago have the best pizza in the country, does that means democrats make better pizza than republicans? I would also point out the hypocrisy in that 8 our of the top 10 richest congressmen are Democrats. How's that for the rich white GOP men stereo-type? Just like the majority of the top 5 states for education maybe blue, but they have republican governors. Imagine that. That is how much of a story this red/blue state simpleton crap really tells but keep on with the simpleton points, your fellow liberals buy it.

Here are a few people smart than me to explain to you why these simpleton stats are shallow and stupid.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/01/04/solved-why-poor-states-are-red-and-rich-states-are-blue/

http://rare.us/story/exploding-the-lefts-red-state-myths/

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2013/09/the_myth_of_red_state_welfare.html

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@vfibsux said:

Typical liberals, the title of this thread is a lie because it is in quotes. He never said that. His point is if you can change the definition of marriage for one thing you can do it for anything.

If you want to challenge him because he does not believe in gay marriage fine, at least do it with some intellectual honesty.

He was paraphrasing,

paraphrasing is sometimes though, not always done under citation marks.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#50  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

And none of those stats about the blue states could possibly be statistics anomalies.

Okay.

Point being Is that this isn't just a decision for gay marriage, its a decision for other different agreements as well.