BlurpGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BlurpGulp
Member since 2020 • 8 Posts

Been gaming for a long time ever since I own GTA, also trying out most of the horror games like RE2 lately. Most of the time I've to play in the dark as I share my room with my sis who sleeps very early. Personally I have no problem with that since I feel darkness is a great plus to immersion.

However my eyes are getting tired very quickly these days and sometimes it feels like burning. I know that's something to do with the lighting but I would not want to ruin the dark since I've gotten so used to it. Any suggestion?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6933 Posts

My suggestion is: "stop that." Get used to gaming in a half-decently lit room. It doesn't have to be pointed directly at you, but your environment as a whole needs to be well lit.

JJGame3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JJGame3
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

@blurpgulp:

I used to have no problem gaming in the dark in my twenties too, but it seems like my eyesight is getting worse and worse cuz I already spend the entire day staring at the screen in the office and also extra 2-3 hours playing fornite. I would suggest you to purchase a computer desk lamp which you can adjust the brightness. I got a lamp which is totally glare-free like a month ago. And i dont think it ruins the gaming vibe! Instead, it really relieves my eyestrain.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 phbz
Member since 2009 • 4901 Posts

Usually a candle helps, just don't set your house on fire.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain-  Online
Member since 2014 • 40029 Posts

@phbz said:

Usually a candle helps, just don't set your house on fire.

TBH, I use my Lightsaber as a lantern like to keep my room dim and hey, it works but my Lightsaber is red.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2948 Posts

A blue light behind the TV. Should be no real noticeable difference to you but the extra blue light should help you stay awake.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9915 Posts

Staring at a screen in the dark is bad for your eyes. Just get a dim light source.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19671 Posts

Some for of RGB LED lighting behind the set is a good idea. You can go with super cheap LED strips that'll run you like $15 and can be controlled with an IR remote. Fancier options get a bit more expensive get you integration with home automation type systems (imagine the strips come on when the tv is on), the ability to pulse/change color based on sound, or even try to match the color of what's on the screen.

Or you can go "all out" and get something like Nanoleaf or LifX:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 37073 Posts

I really like gaming in the dark, kinda sucks can't use the Rift S without a decent light source for tracking.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

I really like gaming in the dark, kinda sucks can't use the Rift S without a decent light source for tracking.

Why would you care about gaming in the dark if you're using VR?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Light still somewhat seeps in from the sides, particularly the nose region.

livingdeadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By livingdeadman
Member since 2016 • 406 Posts

You should wear Sunglasses.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 469 Posts

I lost my eye sight from playing too much video games in the dark. I developed serious eye sight problems and was told that gaming in the dark constantly causes Myopia (When you only can see close)

It is alright to play in the dark on occasions, but if you only ever game in the dark like I used to you will definitely develop eyesight problems.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:
@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of inside out tracking. It's handy if you want to bring VR on the go but I wasn't thrilled when Oculus switched from external sensors for their latest model. I was all for not requiring four USB ports and USB extensions, but there were other ways they could have dealt with that.

I've had the DK2, CV1, Vive, Samsung Odyssey, the Odyssey +, the Vive Pro (later with wireless), the Valve Index, and the Quest. Of all those, I still have the last four but I sold or gave away the rest. I skipped the Rift S because already having the Index it felt redundant. Revive works really well and if there's anything it doesn't work with then Quest Link takes care of that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of inside out tracking. It's handy if you want to bring VR on the go but I wasn't thrilled when Oculus switched from external sensors for their latest model. I was all for not requiring four USB ports and USB extensions, but there were other ways they could have dealt with that.

I've had the DK2, CV1, Vive, Samsung Odyssey, the Odyssey +, the Vive Pro (later with wireless), the Valve Index, and the Quest. Of all those, I still have the last four but I sold or gave away the rest. I skipped the Rift S because already having the Index it felt redundant. Revive works really well and if there's anything it doesn't work with then Quest Link takes care of that.

I actually checked since posting that and I was pressing the (underside button) to push it closer to my face. Never realized the front head-set slides, fixed it.

Never had any trouble with the tracking itself, can play fairly demanding physical games like Onward just fine. And TBH, it's rather use it without the towers. It also seems to do a very good job of tracking from behind, which apparently with the WMR headsets can be a problem.

Loading Video...

Main problem I've had is more with the software side.

The default built in audio is abit shit as well, but not a big deal, has an ear jack.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:
@Byshop said:

I actually checked since posting that and I was pressing the (underside button) to push it closer to my face. Never realized the front head-set slides, fixed it.

Never had any trouble with the tracking itself, can play fairly demanding physical games like Onward just fine. And TBH, it's rather use it without the towers. It also seems to do a very good job of tracking from behind, which apparently with the WMR headsets can be a problem.

Main problem I've had is more with the software side.

The default built in audio is abit shit as well, but not a big deal, has an ear jack.

Inside out tracking is like 90% as good as tracking supported by external boxes/sensors, which is generally fine even for fast moving games. The only problems you have are usually around games where your hands might go behind you (holstering/sheathing weapons) or when your hands come close to your face (games involving archery). Other than that, it tends to work fine when it works. The only other issue is that it tends to be a little more sensitive to environmental factors (i.e. needs a decently lit room, can be affected by sunlight, etc).

The Oculus towers sucked for sure. Four USB ports was way too many. I'm all for a simpler option but I don't like that they did so through compromise. My annoyance with VR is that there's no "best" product out there. Every new products brings some advantages and some disadvantages. The Valve Index is my current overall fav for comfort, resolution (the LCD displays are super crisp), audio (both speakers and mic), tracking quality, and refresh rate. Its drawbacks are no wireless option, poor black levels and color contrast compared to OLED sets.

BlurpGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlurpGulp

@jjgame3: Thanks! But I think I need a light that is able to stick on my monitor. Cuz I don't really have much space on my desk rn.

BlurpGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlurpGulp

@Byshop: Thanks but I kinda don't like fancy colors so I think I'll get an average light source XD

JJGame3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJGame3
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

@blurpgulp: Oh actually the one I am using now can be stuck on the monitor!! Mine is called Screenbar.

@blurpgulp said:

@jjgame3: Thanks! But I think I need a light that is able to stick on my monitor. Cuz I don't really have much space on my desk rn.