Game Design Do i need to know art?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiiNut6493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 WiiNut6493
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts
Is it possible to be a game designer without any art experience. i am trying to figure what collage i want to go to once i graduate. i am not good at art. infact i can only draw stick men. but i am great with computers. all my teachers have told me i have a imagination like no other. i can think up a story in a good couple of minutes. i was curious because i think it would be hard to try and explain the image of what your drawing in your brain to another person.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
its not possible without art, unless you do music etc
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts
You dont need drawing skills, there is other things you can do.
jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts
art is more than drawing y'know.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
If you are a coder, you have to deal more with code than art. I on the other hand am interested in the art aspects of gaming more than any thing. When I graduate, I plan on getting into the game industry as an artist or designer.
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
Well a games designer is one of the people who think up the concept of the game, how it will play and such. Most people start off in a different position, coder or artist for example and work their way up. If your good at thinking up stories then possibly a writer? Unless you are better at the general idea of a story and not so good at actually putting it down.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
You could be a designer but you'ld find it very hard unless you go to valve where nobody has a job description and anybody can do what ever they want
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Depends on if you want to be in charge of what the game looks like or HOW it works (e.g. engine design). I'd recommend learning at least the basics of art - lighting, shading, etc.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Well, you'll have to be creative. Doing art helps you become more creative, and awakens your creativity.
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
Being able to draw definetaly helps. Just practise and practise, you don't need to pull off masterpieces. Just simplistic dipictions of what you need. I'm great at 3d art but can't actually draw to save my life, but I'm slowly getting better.
WiiNut6493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WiiNut6493
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts
well what i meant by art was real life drawings ya know. like drawing stuff on a piece of paper.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Most game design and production involves writing millions of lines of code. Unless you are a concept, model or texture artist, drawing is not a required talent.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

I on the other hand am interested in the art aspects of gaming more than any thing. When I graduate, I plan on getting into the game industry as an artist or designer.Boba_Fett_3710

Same here.

Avatar image for Lord__Darkstorn
Lord__Darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord__Darkstorn
Member since 2007 • 2031 Posts

Is it possible to be a game designer without any art experience. i am trying to figure what collage i want to go to once i graduate. i am not good at art. infact i can only draw stick men. but i am great with computers. all my teachers have told me i have a imagination like no other. i can think up a story in a good couple of minutes. i was curious because i think it would be hard to try and explain the image of what your drawing in your brain to another person.WiiNut6493

It'll be hard for someone who isn't creative and very patient. Game design is one of the most tedious fields you can enter.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiNut6493"]Is it possible to be a game designer without any art experience. i am trying to figure what collage i want to go to once i graduate. i am not good at art. infact i can only draw stick men. but i am great with computers. all my teachers have told me i have a imagination like no other. i can think up a story in a good couple of minutes. i was curious because i think it would be hard to try and explain the image of what your drawing in your brain to another person.Lord__Darkstorn

It'll be hard for someone who isn't creative and very patient. Game design is one of the most tedious fields you can enter.

Lol. I'm hoping to get into it next year. I'm not particularly either of things. =X