Gallup: Americans Remain Divided on Military Spending.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Views are not as extreme in either direction as in other years

Trend: There is much discussion as to the amount of money the government in Washington should spend for national defense and military purposes. How do you feel about this? Do you think we are spending too little, about the right amount, or too much?

Views of Amount of Defense Spending, by Political Party, February 2014

Trend: Do you think the United States is No. 1 in the world militarily, or that it is only one of several leading military powers?

Do you think the United States is No. 1 in the world militarily, or that it is only one of several leading military powers? By party ID, February 2014

-------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting how so called independents are less likely to see the US as the leading military super power.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

So the call to reduce military spending is actually going along with the majority public opinion.

here is a great comparison of military spending vs everything else.

http://itsjustjustin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2014-US-Federal-Budget-Infographic.jpg

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

So the call to reduce military spending is actually going along with the majority public opinion.

http://itsjustjustin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2014-US-Federal-Budget-Infographic.jpg

Difference between majority and vast majority, the country is more split on this than anything.

Look at what they are cutting though.....people. They are taking from those who devoted their lives to the military and those who serve now and in the future. They are not cutting spending a gazillion dollars on a new bomber, they are taking money from PEOPLE. To you it is easy to say "CUT DEFENSE!" but how about giving half a shit for how it affects the families serving?

The problem here is the treehuggers love to say cut defense, but no mention of all the other waste in our government.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

Difference between majority and vast majority, the country is more split on this than anything.

Look at what they are cutting though.....people. They are taking from those who devoted their lives to the military and those who serve now and in the future. They are not cutting spending a gazillion dollars on a new bomber, they are taking money from PEOPLE. To you it is easy to say "CUT DEFENSE!" but how about giving half a shit for how it affects the families serving?

The problem here is the treehuggers love to say cut defense, but no mention of all the other waste in our government.

One of the big consequences of budget cuts is that less people are employed to do things. If you have such a problem with the consequences of budget cuts perhaps you should stop advocating for them.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

One of the big consequences of budget cuts is that less people are employed to do things. If you have such a problem with the consequences of budget cuts perhaps you should stop advocating for them.

What a bullshit reply. What happened to your kind being so "kind-hearted, for the people" types? Military families don't count? I want government WASTE to stop, in my opinion our military personnel are not WASTE. Am I putting to you simply enough? Or are you just going to reply with more sound bites? This whole "you get what you ask for" stance is bullshit and intellectually dishonest. So we can have a real talk about this or you can continue with this crap solo.

They are spending $90 million on a tank upgrade the pentagon says they don't need, yet are taking money from retirees and active duty families. You are cool with it because it is sticking it to the republicans though...is that how I read this?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Serraph105

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

What a bullshit reply. What happened to your kind being so "kind-hearted, for the people" types? Military families don't count? I want government WASTE to stop, in my opinion our military personnel are not WASTE. Am I putting to you simply enough? Or are you just going to reply with more sound bites? This whole "you get what you ask for" stance is bullshit and intellectually dishonest. So we can have a real talk about this or you can continue with this crap solo.

They are spending $90 million on a tank upgrade the pentagon says they don't need, yet are taking money from retirees and active duty families. You are cool with it because it is sticking it to the republicans though...is that how I read this?

You can read my posts whatever way you want. However if they were not spending 90 million on a tank upgrade the people who are benefiting from being on the project of upgrading those tanks would not have a job and be unable to feed their families. Somehow republicans seem to be okay with that.

For the record these types of budget cuts are not what I'm personally advocating for. I'm simply applying the logic of what advocates of budget cuts want and coming to the conclusion of what getting it actually means. The fact is that the outcome of these budget cuts are not exactly pleasant for those effected by them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

You do realize who you're talking to, right? He's one of the biggest bullshit libs on this entire site.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

Are you promoting the use of the military as a jobs program?

I'm fine with the calls to cut jobs and pensions elsewhere in the budget(s) as a method of trimming the fat, but the Republican carve-out for military personnel, firemen, and police officers is nonsensical - if those people/costs are unnecessary then they are wasteful just as unnecessary labor costs in the other government sectors are wasteful.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Serraph105

@airshocker:

Yeah acknowledging that jobs are lost when budget cuts are made is total bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker:

Yeah acknowledging that jobs are lost when budget cuts are made is total bullshit.

No, your whole bullshit using the "other side's" logic is what I'm referring to. Something you've become rather fond of doing, lately. It's douchey and a pathetic attempt to avoid any semblance of real discussion.

Herp derp, I'm just using your logic against you! Deeerrrrrrrp.

So yes, vfib called you out on it.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

The military budget is insane but then maintaining "godfather" status is expensive.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I'm surprised there's anyone who thinks we're spending too little.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Serraph105

@airshocker said:

@Serraph105 said:

@airshocker:

No, your whole bullshit using the "other side's" logic is what I'm referring to. Something you've become rather fond of doing, lately. It's douchey and a pathetic attempt to avoid any semblance of real discussion.

Herp derp, I'm just using your logic against you! Deeerrrrrrrp.

So yes, vfib called you out on it.

where was I wrong? Better yet what budget cuts can we make were jobs are not lost? I seriously want to know I can understand that. Now if you are upset that military members are getting cut and that's just not okay with you because they're the military, but it's okay if people in say the EPA lose their jobs than I really can't sympathize.

Chrypt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Chrypt22
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

As someone that is a military spouse I will say this. There is a lot of waste in the Military and the can definitely do things better... maybe the cuts will help them be more efficient but I am not holding my breath. Obama, and the government in general have proved inept at doing anything efficiently. Nothing that our government has done in the past 10 years has been done in any matter of organization. The super libs will blame conservatives and visa versa.

My personal opinion on the military aspect is that if Obama and government is not going to have a spine.. aka Ukraine, then have a defense force and thats it. Half way doing anything is horseshit, especially when peoples lives are on the line. Why have a military when they are only half way supported and we do not have a force that has any bite. The US has backed themselves into a corner... the lemmings in the EU have been so used to the US propping them up militarily over the past 60 years that they haven't had to do anything other than throw a couple thousand troops here or there to help support our cause... aka Iraq and Afghanistan. They only did so because they knew if any real threat came about they would need to rely on us. Now, with Russia poised to take whatever they want, nothing will happen. Moscow can march all the way to the German borders before anyone would lift an eyebrow, and its not like sanctions would work. So, my whole point is that if you are going to have military clout, then use it for the right reasons. Iraq, and Afghanistan to a lesser degree where not really the right reasons. Ukraine is... but now we can't do anything about it, and EU wont because they are as chicken shit as Obama is. There is no sense in having a half supported military because it compounds losses... and the guy that said, "there will never be another large scale ground war" is quickly becoming the village idiot. With Obama in charge I do not want my spouse fighting a war, especially with Russia. Why? Because Obama is chicken shit and can't make the hard decision. Label me whatever you would like... but it's the truth. You wouldn't want your loved ones fighting in a under funded military in a large scale war.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I'm gonna side with repulbicans on this one.

I think the budget is fine, it's in line with what most countries pay as a percent of gdp, just needs to be made more efficient.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

You can read my posts whatever way you want. However if they were not spending 90 million on a tank upgrade the people who are benefiting from being on the project of upgrading those tanks would not have a job and be unable to feed their families. Somehow republicans seem to be okay with that.

For the record these types of budget cuts are not what I'm personally advocating for. I'm simply applying the logic of what advocates of budget cuts want and coming to the conclusion of what getting it actually means. The fact is that the outcome of these budget cuts are not exactly pleasant for those effected by them.

So basically you are not getting there is a difference here between some dude who builds tanks and a military family who sacrifices more than someone like YOU would ever know to serve this country? Or is it that you are just one of our military loathing libs who pretends to support the troops while not supporting the war? Yea you get it, you get it very well. Just another liberal showing his true colors. Libs seem pretty scared to be honest about their feelings for our military, just bring it man, let it all out.

@mattbbpl No I never called the military a jobs program, but thank you for showing your colors as well. Amazing you liberals act as though you cannot understand the concept of taking from people who have sacrificed during years of war is on a different level than laying off people from a corporation who makes light bulbs. But you can understand, you understand very well. I want to see you put bumper stickers on your cars saying you support taking from the troops to pay for welfare. Just do it already, be who you are and stop hiding.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

So basically you are not getting there is a difference here between some dude who builds tanks and a military family who sacrifices more than someone like YOU would ever know to serve this country? Or is it that you are just one of our military loathing libs who pretends to support the troops while not supporting the war? Yea you get it, you get it very well. Just another liberal showing his true colors. Libs seem pretty scared to be honest about their feelings for our military, just bring it man, let it all out.

@mattbbpl No I never called the military a jobs program, but thank you for showing your colors as well. Amazing you liberals act as though you cannot understand the concept of taking from people who have sacrificed during years of war is on a different level than laying off people from a corporation who makes light bulbs. But you can understand, you understand very well. I want to see you put bumper stickers on your cars saying you support taking from the troops to pay for welfare. Just do it already, be who you are and stop hiding.

Thank you for your irrational, emotion-based response which indicates your true colors more than the seem to realize.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vfibsux

Cat got your tongue Matt? Explain to me then why you can view what is being done to our men and women, many whom have sacrificed more than you could possibly know over a decade of war, as just another government job cutting measure. Your words speak for you and I called you out. If it is something else bring it and stop with the sobbing about my irrational response to you. The fact is you see our troops as mere employees that should be cut just as you would a janitor you did not need. Just say it. The fact you won't even defend what I posted about you speaks volumes, you know there is no good way you can put how you feel. Don't talk about my true colors lol, I'm not holding back a damn thing. I quoted you below in case you forgot what you said.....

@mattbbpl said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

I'm fine with the calls to cut jobs and pensions elsewhere in the budget(s) as a method of trimming the fat, but the Republican carve-out for military personnel, firemen, and police officers is nonsensical - if those people/costs are unnecessary then they are wasteful just as unnecessary labor costs in the other government sectors are wasteful.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@vfibsux said:

Cat got your tongue Matt? Explain to me then why you can view what is being done to our men and women, many whom have sacrificed more than you could possibly know over a decade of war, as just another government job cutting measure. Your words speak for you and I called you out. If it is something else bring it and stop with the sobbing about my irrational response to you. The fact is you see our troops as mere employees that should be cut just as you would a janitor you did not need. Just say it. The fact you won't even defend what I posted about you speaks volumes, you know there is no good way you can put how you feel. Don't talk about my true colors lol, I'm not holding back a damn thing. I quoted you below in case you forgot what you said.....

@mattbbpl said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

I didn't defend anything because you didn't rebut anything.

Should military expenditures never be cut? Even after drawing down 2 wars?

You keep throwing emotional responses of "How could you?!" when I suggest that, if we are intent on cutting down the budget, it makes no sense to keep unnecessary personnel.

If you would like to discuss logical rebuttals about why continuing to pay unnecessary personnel is worth the additional tax cost, then have at it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

I'm arguing that taking away the person's job on the tank upgrade and taking away the job of the military member effectively has the same outcome regardless of which one you prefer to see happen.

Either way a lost job results in a person's income getting taken away, and making their future that much more difficult. I'm sorry that you happen to feel bad when it happens to a person in the military, but why don't you care when it happens to other people?