blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

I really can't decide which one to get. I've been with samsung for like 10 years now. And my phone now is my 5th samsung phone. I have the S7 Edge, had it since it was released two years ago. It's a beautiful phone, the only problem is the battery broke just 4 days ago and i need to pay £40 for new battery and for the dudes who fixes it. So just decided to get it fixed and sell it and get a new one. So can't really decide with s8 and p20.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'm upgrading in June, I'm considering the p20 or the HTC u11+

I generally don't get Samsung phones because every bastard seems to have one.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Neither, Mi Mix 2s is better.

The_doggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_doggy
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Samsung for me, they look super cool

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Honestly in terms of what smartphones can do software wise there's not a whole lot of difference between competitors anymore and the main thing you should probably be looking at is the hardware. Looking on tech radar (which is just the first thing that popped up on google) the p20 doesn't have a headphone jack, which personally wouldn't matter to me, but I know it gets under a lot of people's skin. My S7 (which I have on loan from work and still use my S4 primarily) has a pretty thoroughly broken outer shell so those things are fragile as shit (a good case would help) and I don't know if the S8 has changed that in any way, just something to look into.

Beyond that I would compare cameras, the screen size (and whether the screen curve holds any appeal to you), and wireless charging (samsung has that, P20 does not). I wouldn't worry too much about what the guts are like, what kind of graphics, and CPU it has etc as phones are usually optimized to work for whatever they have and the games are usually pretty simple anyways.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I can't speak to the quality of the Huawei but I've got a Note 8 and I think it's great.

-Byshop

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thehig1

@GTR12 said:

there not available in the UK on contract

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I've only owned Samsung phones... If that's what you're use to, why switch? I have a Galaxy S8+ and it's great. Although the S5 I upgraded from was probably my favorite. Loved it was waterproof with a popoff back for battery replacement or to have a spare battery with on long trips, plus expandable memory. S8 has the expandable memory, but the battery is built in now. I'm not sure one phone really has that much advantage over another anymore. Sure, you can argue the camera is better... But how many of us take professional photos with our phone? I actually have mine set to half the resolution it's capable of because most photos go on social media and are still large enough to print out at maximum quality. I also have the phone set to 1080p(it is by default) instead of 4k. 4k is only needed for VR. Waste your battery otherwise. I'd stick with Samsung if that's what you previously had and are ok with it. Plus there's no shortage of accessories, since it's a super popular phone.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I've only owned Samsung phones... If that's what you're use to, why switch? I have a Galaxy S8+ and it's great. Although the S5 I upgraded from was probably my favorite. Loved it was waterproof with a popoff back for battery replacement or to have a spare battery with on long trips, plus expandable memory. S8 has the expandable memory, but the battery is built in now. I'm not sure one phone really has that much advantage over another anymore. Sure, you can argue the camera is better... But how many of us take professional photos with our phone? I actually have mine set to half the resolution it's capable of because most photos go on social media and are still large enough to print out at maximum quality. I also have the phone set to 1080p(it is by default) instead of 4k. 4k is only needed for VR. Waste your battery otherwise. I'd stick with Samsung if that's what you previously had and are ok with it. Plus there's no shortage of accessories, since it's a super popular phone.

As an S4 owner who never got the S5 I really think that the S5 was probably the best iteration. It had everything the S4 had (expandable memory, easily replaceable batter, IR sensor, plastic as opposed to glass) and it was waterproof and scratchproof.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Problem with non Samsung/apple phones is the value depreciates a lot faster. And with how expensive flagship smartphones are getting. That is something to be considered.

I brought a LG G5 2 years ago. The trade in value was a mere $35 dollars. And it was kept in an Otterbox the whole time.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1

@jak42: ouch thats a massive drop.

My moto X style due for upgrade is only worth around £40-60 it was £399 new.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@thehig1: The demand just isn't there for these non apple/samsung phones.

It just makes sense to consider the trade/sell value of your next phone purchase if your going for a flagship. As it will help pay off the new phone.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@thehig1 said:
@GTR12 said:

there not available in the UK on contract

LOL you buy contract phones, enjoy getting ripped off.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

If I had to pick a phone right now I'd go with the Pixel 2. That being said, if you're only choosing between those two, never buy a Samsung phone. The bloatware is just a complete deal-breaker. As someone who uses mostly Google apps, having to download second versions of every app because Samsung wants you to use its version is a big enough pain, but when your system memory gets eaten up by apps you can't uninstall it's even worse. I understand that they've gotten slightly better lately, but as long as they're pre-loading all their own software I'm not going to be buying their products.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1

@GTR12: well yeah I never have the money up front to buy one.

On contract I don't have to pay anything up front for the phone

Don't know about other countries but in UK it's very rare to find anyone who has a flagship phone and there not on contract.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Get a one plus or vivo.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I have bad experience with huawei's updates...don't know if it's better now, but my 2016 (mid range) got maybe two updates and never got beyond marshmallow.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I finally moved away from my nearly 4 year old HTC DNA after the internal mic failed. I picked up a S8 and I haven't had any issues. Only thing I can honestly say that I truly hate is the shitty Bixby (Siri wannabe) software they shove down your throat on the S8 and newer phones.

The only way to disable the Bixby button (if you don't want to use it) on the left side of the phone is to make sure your Bixby software is fully up to date and then you have to go through the Bixby settings to disable the button. If you don't disable the button, ever time you bump it Bixby is trying to get you to do stupid stuff.

Then again, I hate most of the shitty updates for Android & Samsung and all the stupid shit they stuff into apps - like how one of the updates added the ability to put "stickers" on stuff. Every now and then I get goddamn popup screen that say "See what's new!" and has the damn sticker info.....happens about once every 12-14 days. I haven't found a way to disable it stupid crap from giving me pop-up windows to show me what's new.

You know, now that I think about it...I like the phone. I hate the shitty, unnecessary software they throw at you. Fuckers.....I'm talking to you Samsung and the shitty software you're trying to force people to adapt to. Bixby - you suck. Folks already have Siri and "Okay, Google" if they need to ask their device something and those are annoying enough already.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Consider a LGV30+!