Fraternity Apologizes For Party Inviting Bitches, and thugs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

411WED_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 411WED_81
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/11/01/2872991/michigan-fraternity-apologizes-party-open-bad-bitches-white-girls/

What is your view on the subject of fraternities. Do you feel that they overall encourage rape culture or do you believe that the actions of a few paint all fraternities in a negative light?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

People get too worked up about nothing.

They dont care when they hear a song, where 90% of the lyrics are talking about which hoe they're doing to bang next, or how hood they are, or how they're going to shoot someone.

However if someone decides to host a party, and picks "Thug lyfe" as a theme, everyone's going crazy.

I've seen girls call each other bitches, yet whenever it hits the media, "Bitch" is a derogatory term which should never be used as it demeans women.

411WED_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 411WED_81
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

They dont care when they hear a song, where 90% of the lyrics are talking about which hoe they're doing to bang next, or how hood they are, or how they're going to shoot someone.

However if someone decides to host a party, and picks "Thug lyfe" as a theme, everyone's going crazy.

I've seen girls call each other bitches, yet whenever it hits the media, "Bitch" is a derogatory term which should never be used as it demeans women.

It is not just that though. This is exclusionary and people are being put down for their gender.

It is very different when a woman calls another woman a "bitch" and when a man does it. That may not seem fair but there is so much that you do not have to deal with as a man.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nibroc420

@411WED_81 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

It is not just that though. This is exclusionary and people are being put down for their gender.

It is very different when a woman calls another woman a "bitch" and when a man does it. That may not seem fair but there is so much that you do not have to deal with as a man.

Not at all.

They invited
“bad bitches, white girls, basketball players, thugs and gangsters,” for “Hood Ratchet Thursday.”
It was a theme. Dress up like those "thugs" in rap videos, or as a gangsta, heck they're even inviting basketball players.

You cannot say a word is derogatory only when said by (insert race/gender here), because that is discriminatory in itself.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

If it turns out that these kinds of parties are the hotbeds of racism, gang culture and misogyny that the article makes them out to be, then the university should most certainly ban them.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

No idea. I think fraternities definitely have some positives and negatives. The rushing process at my school is ridiculously intense and imo over the top though.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

The thing that baffles me is how being called a "bad ****" is a good thing but being called a "****" is terrible.

Like lol What?!

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@411WED_81 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Honestly, this is the kind of complaining I don't understand. Exclusionary? Who gives a flying f*ck. It's a private party on private property. They have the right to be dicks, or to exclude whoever they want from their party for whatever reason.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nibroc420
@chrisrooR said:

@411WED_81 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Honestly, this is the kind of complaining I don't understand. Exclusionary? Who gives a flying f*ck. It's a private party on private property. They have the right to be dicks, or to exclude whoever they want from their party for whatever reason.

Thing is, they're not actually excluding anyone... It's just a theme party with a theme of "Thug Lyfe" and the host decided to use Hip-hop and rap slang on the posters.

It would be no different from having a "Pirate theme" and having lame posters using words like "Arrr"

People are just being negative, and calling out anything that could, maybe, sort of, be racist. They need to focus on their own lives and stfu about people's theme parties and the unimportant posters put up for it.
If they dont like the theme, they dont have to go.