TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Do you ever get jealous of the food in another country and try to make it in yours?

Lots of great examples I've heard is how they try to make Hamburgers in Russia, and American Pancakes in England.

I've tried to make Norwegian potato pancakes and I've always wanted to try English breakfast with beans. ( Been to South London but mostly had cereal while I was there, I know, lame.) I love Stroganoff (can't make it) and some of the open faced sandwiches in other countries.

Well OT, you ever get food jelly?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I only know very few. This one is the beans married with rice, with fried bananas, and fried cheese, with a piece of mean and eggs on top. That's a killer breakfast.

ColdCaseLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ColdCaseLuke
Member since 2015 • 94 Posts

I used to live in Australia for 9th/10th grade. The food there was amazing, I went from 190 5'6 at the time, to having abs in 4 months... I never worked out besides sport, and I ate more. Clean, nutritious food. Oh what I wouldn't do for a legit gyro, even "authentic gyro" places in NYC charging double didnt hold a candle.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Wtf would anyone get jelly because of American "pancakes". It's gross.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@TheHighWind said:

Lots of great examples I've heard is how they try to make Hamburgers in Russia,

What do you mean try? Making burgers isn't exactly rocket science.

I always wanted to try this Canadian nonsense. Pou...tine? But it seems cheese curds aren't really sold anywhere here.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Do you ever get jealous of the food in another country and try to make it in yours?

Lots of great examples I've heard is how they try to make Hamburgers in Russia, and American Pancakes in England.

I've tried to make Norwegian potato pancakes and I've always wanted to try English breakfast with beans. ( Been to South London but mostly had cereal while I was there, I know, lame.) I love Stroganoff (can't make it) and some of the open faced sandwiches in other countries.

Well OT, you ever get food jelly?

No. There are many immigrants in the US from different ethnic backgrounds who bring their cuisine with them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Why can't you make stroganoff? It's a very simple recipe.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheHighWind

@nethernova said:
@TheHighWind said:

Lots of great examples I've heard is how they try to make Hamburgers in Russia,

What do you mean try? Making burgers isn't exactly rocket science.

I always wanted to try this Canadian nonsense. Pou...tine? But it seems cheese curds aren't really sold anywhere here.

You'd be surprised because in Russia they are served just meat, a flat oval shaped bun, and onions. In England I had an English hamburger that was lamb, lettuce, mustard, onion on a toasted bun. They can't get the American hamburger right because they can see what's on it, but they have the urge to try something different.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I live in Europe, so the only thing i'm jelly is an American Hotdog.

You need to try a Fish Pie from Finland, if you like fish, which i don't so much.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I'm jelly of Japanese or Chinese meat buns. But, luckily my wife knows how to make them. They're called siopao in the Philippines.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

When I was in the Caucasus region, I swore that their pita bread, grilled pork, fruit candies, and their pizza was the best thing I've had in ages.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I'm always jelly of Asian cuisine, Japanese in particular, and I try to copy it as much as I can. Needless to say, the result isn't always satisfactory; the cuisine is way too exotic to find the proper ingredients and equipments for here in Gaza.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli

@Ant_17 said:

You need to try a Fish Pie from Finland, if you like fish, which i don't so much.

You can't be serious about the hotdog part, even Americans think they're gross.

As for the fish pie part, I religiously love seafood, but mixing seafood and starch is a taboo I'm not willing to violate, whether it involves pasta or pastries. I don't know what it is about starch that amplifies the absolute worst in seafood.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

Vietnamese food. Bánh Mì (best sandwich in the world IMO), Phỏ, Bún bò (popular soups), Bánh xèo (some kind of savory pancake), and finally hot pot. Even Vietnamese coffee is hard for me to replicate at home. Just thinking about these makes me want to return to Vietnam. *drools*

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@themajormayor said:

I know mate I hate pancakes

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@GazaAli said:
@Ant_17 said:

You can't be serious about the hotdog part, even Americans think they're gross.

As for the fish pie part, I religiously love seafood, but mixing seafood and starch is a taboo I'm not willing to violate, whether it involves pasta or pastries. I don't know what it is about starch that amplifies the absolute worst in seafood.

Really? I though they where better then the ones they make here.

I guess the next thing would be Jambalaya or Gumbo/ don't no if it's the same thing or not, sorry/

I guess i can see that problem, but i don't like seefood in general to care.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GazaAli

@sukraj said:
@themajormayor said:

I know mate I hate pancakes

Pancakes are just another excuse to blow up your sugar intake right at the beginning of the day. You might as well just gulp the high fructose corn syrup straight-up.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

I'm jealous of the steak-and-gravy pies that are so readily available in Commonwealth countries (UK, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand etc.). Sure, there are "beef pot pies" in the US, but they typically have more vegetables and potato than beef, so they don't really come close in my opinion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheHighWind

I just want to add that everyone in America tries to make Mexican food with different results. Good or bad.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stesilaus

Like all honest Americans, I'm profoundly jealous of the Russians' delicious Shchi cabbage soup.

Yummy.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nethernova
@Stesilaus said:

I'm jealous of the steak-and-gravy pies

That looks absolutely disgusting. I'll take two, please.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

I live in the US, so no I don't get jealous. We have the highest quality ingredients and an immense diversity of cuisines.

Between the trend of Japanese/Sushi restaurants, dozens of Mexican restaurants, Indian food, Ethiopian food. Hell a Brazillian BBQ joint just opened up near me (it is terrible, by the way, except for the cashew-fruit drink, that's good!).

I'm less than hour away from one of the most famous French restaurants in the country (French Laundry), if not the world, plus I live in wine country and SF Bay Area so we kind of attract the best cooks in the world, too.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyup, the US has it pretty good when it comes to cuisine (we have it pretty bad, too, though! what with the fast food and junk food). You can call bullshit on a lot of what the US claims, but the whole "melting pot of the world" really is true when it comes to food.

@ssvegeta555 said:

Vietnamese food. Bánh Mì (best sandwich in the world IMO), Phỏ, Bún bò (popular soups), Bánh xèo (some kind of savory pancake), and finally hot pot. Even Vietnamese coffee is hard for me to replicate at home. Just thinking about these makes me want to return to Vietnam. *drools*

Three Vietnamese restaurants within 20 minutes of me :)

There are Vietnamese restaurants everywhere! It's one of my favorite cuisines om nom nom I can eat banh mi forever

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrbojangles25

@GazaAli said:

I'm always jelly of Asian cuisine, Japanese in particular, and I try to copy it as much as I can. Needless to say, the result isn't always satisfactory; the cuisine is way too exotic to find the proper ingredients and equipments for here in Gaza.

for me it is the technique. Japanese food, ingredient-wise, is pretty minimal, but the technique is so hard. Have you ever seen how they make broth for ramen?! INSANE!

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nethernova
@mrbojangles25 said:

I live in the US, so no I don't get jealous. We have the highest quality ingredients and an immense diversity of cuisines.

But do you have a decent currywurst?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Stesilaus said:

Yummy.

Ummm. Where is the cabbage? That looks like gulag food. He He. ;) That looks like my cooking.

Here is what Shchi looks like.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

@nethernova said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

But do you have a decent currywurst?

I RENOUNCE MY CITIZENSHIP! I take back everything I said about American food.

I am a citizen of the People's Republic of Currywurst!

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stesilaus

@jun_aka_pekto said:

That looks like gulag food.

"Gulag" has such negative connotations.

I prefer "political remediation facility", a term that more accurately captures the fundamentally benign nature of those venerable institutions.

:-)

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2382 Posts

The trick to good food is the cook not the country. I'd kill Jesus to get the recipe for my great grandmother's pork chops but she took it to her grave and her lasagna was almost as good. That said she couldn't make decent sour dough bread for shit. Just being honest here great mema.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@ssvegeta555 said:

Three Vietnamese restaurants within 20 minutes of me :)

There are Vietnamese restaurants everywhere! It's one of my favorite cuisines om nom nom I can eat banh mi forever

Yeah there are a lot of Vietnamese restaurants here in my area in Portland. We have a sizable Vietnamese population here. Many restaurants (around 6+) within 20 minutes from me as well. :) It's whole other ball game when trying to replicate the good stuff at home though. bánh mì forever should be a shirt of something haha. Words to live by. ;)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@GazaAli: you need some starch to gulp all that high fructose.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Can't get decent pretzels where I live. Oh and currywurst is awesome. Chicago style pizzas are also currently missing in my life.

PS originally thought this was about food jelly which is that weird see through crap that they put in pork pies, it is grim.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jun_aka_pekto

My wife's circle of friends include women from other Southeast Asian countries. So, we have our share of authentic Thai and Vietnamese food.

Take last Thanksgiving....... The turkey and ham and pies were surrounded by various Asian dishes which was fine with me. I'm not fond of having turkey dishes for a week. As soon as the party was over, we took out our Tupperwares and loaded up on food to take home. The other guests snapped up my wife's egg rolls and noodles. I snapped up the remaining half-platter of spicy shrimp. ;-)

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli

@mrbojangles25 said:
@GazaAli said:

for me it is the technique. Japanese food, ingredient-wise, is pretty minimal, but the technique is so hard. Have you ever seen how they make broth for ramen?! INSANE!

Can't say I have, but after having enjoyed Japanology's bento episode, I'm saving the ramen episode for later.

But you make a solid point. A while back, having watched the kare raisu episode, I thought I'd try my luck and make my own, as it seemed a simple enough dish to make. I looked up a recipe and all the ingredients were available. Then I got to the actual recipe, and I was enraged by how elaborate it is. It's not that I couldn't follow it, but it's so complex that it defeats the whole purpose of the dish as a comfy winter food. If you don't have the prepackaged roux available, don't bother.

Speaking of ramen, I made this for dinner the other day:

Nothing too fancy, but it was still great. I usually add vegetables, but I was too lazy that night.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

There´s no reason for me to be food "jelly", I live in Mexico and here there´s enough regional cuisine to keep your palate busy for decades.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrbojangles25

@GazaAli: yum that looks great!

There was a show on PBS a while back called Mind of a Chef. Great show! Anyway in the first season they follow one chef named David (?) Chang, who is obsessed with Japanese food and Ramen. They spend an episode or two solely on ramen.

Ramen broth and noodles

The whole episode is great, but skip to 11:44

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli
@mrbojangles25 said:

@GazaAli: yum that looks great!

There was a show on PBS a while back called Mind of a Chef. Great show! Anyway in the first season they follow one chef named David (?) Chang, who is obsessed with Japanese food and Ramen. They spend an episode or two solely on ramen.

Ramen broth and noodles

The whole episode is great, but skip to 11:44

Bookmarked!