Floyd Mayweather stays unbeaten with tough decision

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

In case anyone was interested in the fight tonight that went down at MGM Grand with Mayweather and Maidana, here is the Link

LAS VEGAS -- Boxing's No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter Floyd Mayweather encountered one of his toughest fights but managed to hang on Saturday night and gain a majority decision against Marcos Maidana to become the WBA and WBC welterweight champion of the world.

"It was a tough fight, which is what the fans wanted to see," said the unbeaten Mayweather.

Judge Michael Pernick scored it 114-114, a draw. Bert Clements had it 117-111 and Dave Moretti score it 116-112 for Mayweather. The announcement was met by boos from some of the crowd. Maidana's camp had

been so excited at the end that his handlers carried him around on their shoulders.

"If the fans want to see it again, let's do it again," Mayweather said.

Said Maidana, "I have to give him a rematch, because I won."

Maidana added that he thought Mayweather didn't fight like a man. "Other fighters respected him and didn't go toe-to toe with him like I did," he said.

Mayweather is now 46-0 with 26 KOs, while Maidana falls to 35-4 with 31 KOs.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I think it's ridiculous for the winner(s) of a sport's game to be decided by judges and not by an obvious win, such as in Basketball or football. In boxing, I think a winner should be declared only if there's a knockout or if one of the fighters can't fight any longer. Hence, this "win" means nothing. If there was a different set of judges, we would definitely have a different set of individual scores and subsequently a possibly different outcome.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Young_Charter

@BluRayHiDef said:

I think it's ridiculous for the winner(s) of a sport's game to be decided by judges and not by an obvious win, such as in Basketball or football. In boxing, I think a winner should be declared only if there's a knockout or if one of the fighters can't fight any longer. Hence, this "win" means nothing. If there was a different set of judges, we would definitely have a different set of individual scores and subsequently a possibly different outcome.

Which is why they're already taking about a rematch. It was Mayweather's first good fight in awhile when it comes to his weight and fighting style.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

I thought he lost the fight. I don't see how he won by that large of a margin, even if you were to give him the close rounds.

Rhocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Rhocky
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Basketball and football often come down to the subjective decisions of referees, too.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@Rhocky said:

Basketball and football often come down to the subjective decisions of referees, too.

Not nearly as often. Also, even in such cases, the decision is clearer than in boxing.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard and shows that not only do you not know shit about boxing, but you never watch it either.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

He needs to fight Amir Khan already.

Everyones been asking for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: LMAO you don't watch Boxing, do you? It's pretty fucking easy to judge who was the better fighter.

@PcGamingRig said:

He needs to fight Amir Khan already.

Everyones been asking for it.

He would destroy Khan.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

@ChiefvsGordon said:

I thought he lost the fight. I don't see how he won by that large of a margin, even if you were to give him the close rounds.

Well Mayweather landed over 50% (230 out 426) of his punches while the other guy landed like 25%. Mayweather was more precise and accurate while Maidona was basically swinging in the dark, 858 punches thrown and 221 landed. He threw more than double the punches Mayweather threw and Mayweather still hit him more, weak.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@Nengo_Flow said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard and shows that not only do you not know shit about boxing, but you never watch it either.

If the means via which the winner of a boxing match is determined were objective, then each of the judges would calculate the same, exact score for each contestant. However, that is not the case, which proves that a degree of subjectivity/ bias and/ or human error dictate the determination process.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Young_Charter

@Nengo_Flow: @Aljosa23: Relax guys. Its all good.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Maidana had a good strategy, roughin up floyd seem to work better than trying to outbox him ( no one can outbox floyd ) just like how castillo did it, maidana's overhand right is connecting but it doesnt have that impact that would knock floyd out, or it could also be the gloves that maidana was forced to use and not the gloves that he wanted