Flat earth or young earth? Which is worse?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@themajormayor: I mean both are idiotic and have been debunked. I have a really good friend who has always been a super big conspiracy theorist and he is now a flat Earther and the stuff that comes out of this guy's mouth is ridiculous. My friend, who just graduated from Berkeley, got into an argument with him and he showed him the live footage of Earth from the space station and my other friend said it was CGI. When he asked my crazy friend about satellite images, he said that satellite images were and I quote, "the trick of the devil". My crazy friend also uses the argument of authority by quoting and referencing the Bible and that is never a good argument.

On the other hand, I have heard young Earthers so some pretty outlandish things as well like the Dinosaurs didn't exist... really? hahaha

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu: Show him Isaiah 40:22... Which was written long before the majority still considered the Earth to be flat.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46187 Posts

The earth is flat because I see it as flat.

Just like how the sun is really small.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

That is usually their big argument, it is all a matter of perspective? haha what?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Until a group turns up that thinks gravity is a hoax and jumps off cliffs to prove it , I'd say they are about equal in ridiculousness

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46187 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

That is usually their big argument, it is all a matter of perspective? haha what?

Well, it shows exactly just how intelligent they are, not being able to look any further than their own perspective.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JoshRMeyer

@mighty-lu-bu: When I lived in FL, I'd go diving a lot. I could tell you exactly how many miles we were from shore based on the "sinking" hotels. I always assumed this had something to do with the Earth being round. It's so obvious, just using your eyes that nothing in the distance is flat.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@plageus900: People believe the Earth is only 6000 years old? I thought the belief was that humans have only been around for 6000 years? That mean these people believe dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:

@themajormayor: I mean both are idiotic and have been debunked. I have a really good friend who has always been a super big conspiracy theorist and he is now a flat Earther and the stuff that comes out of this guy's mouth is ridiculous. My friend, who just graduated from Berkeley, got into an argument with him and he showed him the live footage of Earth from the space station and my other friend said it was CGI. When he asked my crazy friend about satellite images, he said that satellite images were and I quote, "the trick of the devil". My crazy friend also uses the argument of authority by quoting and referencing the Bible and that is never a good argument.

On the other hand, I have heard young Earthers so some pretty outlandish things as well like the Dinosaurs didn't exist... really? hahaha

lol....

'are idiotic and have been debunked.'

really? debunked. well that is a relief! thank god someone took the time to go ahead and 'debunk' flat earth theory

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'd go with flat earth. Though I remember when we were going around guessing how old the earth is in a physics class in high school and some girl said something like 5000-10000 years. Some couldn't help but laugh, I don't even think she was religious or anything.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@plageus900: People believe the Earth is only 6000 years old? I thought the belief was that humans have only been around for 6000 years? That mean these people believe dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time?

That belief... Wasn't that someone using trying to calculate the age of the sun before they had any idea about nuclear power, and calculated that it was around 6000 years old?

Remember dinosaur fossils were planted here by the devil to tempt us. At least I think that is the reasoning.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JoshRMeyer

@horgen: Weird, that's news to me. I've seen people believe weirder stuff though lol.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

is the young earth theory mainly an american thing?

maybe i've just led a sheltered life but i never hear it mentioned here in england. from my experience there's very little interest in religion (christianity) from under 40s here. can't think of any english politicians or organisations of note with an anti-evolution / science, pro-christianity agenda like there seems to be over in america

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@horgen: Weird, that's news to me. I've seen people believe weirder stuff though lol.

I could be wrong, but I am sure the 6000 year old theory is actually based on science. However it being some 4-500 years ago and didn't know more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Flat earther’s are way worse. We can actively see and test standing here on the ground of earth and prove that the earth is round.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Both are moronic.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Young earthers. I'm at least somewhat convinced that most flat earthers are basically trolls trying to convince us that they believe something that outlandish just to see us go ballistic trying to disprove them. Young earthers, on the other hand, actually believe the crazy stuff they say because skyman.

@horgen said:
@joshrmeyer said:

That belief... Wasn't that someone using trying to calculate the age of the sun before they had any idea about nuclear power, and calculated that it was around 6000 years old?

Remember dinosaur fossils were planted here by the devil to tempt us. At least I think that is the reasoning.

If I recall correctly, it was some guy who did a bunch of calculations based on Biblical events and arrived at the 6000 figure. I mean, even leaving out for the moment the problem of the Bible's reliability, I think he was doing things like digging through the stories of Cain and Abel and Moses and whatnot and using very specific interpretations of small little details to make assumptions about the timeline. It would be stuff like "at this point in this story person x referenced the number seven times, which indicates divinity, so clearly the number of years after creation at this point is seven hundred!" I also think he used Noah's age in his calculations, which according to the Bible was over 600 years at the time of his death. So yeah, SO much more accurate than the figures we get using hyper-advanced space telescopes to measure CMB.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#21 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Flat earth. You can literally see the horizon is curved when you are at altitude.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

My sister is a flat earther.

Got her daughter a kid's science book that depicts the earth as being round.

Flat earthers have very little logical understanding of certain concepts similar to SJWs. They're very dogmatic in their flawed beliefs.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

Flat earther’s are way worse. We can actively see and test standing here on the ground of earth and prove that the earth is round.

Yeah, this. Granted, both are incredibly stupid. But a flat Earth is something that seems more likely to be something that someone could verify for themselves even if they didn't trust science at all.

@theone86 said:

Young earthers. I'm at least somewhat convinced that most flat earthers are basically trolls trying to convince us that they believe something that outlandish just to see us go ballistic trying to disprove them. Young earthers, on the other hand, actually believe the crazy stuff they say because skyman.

My point exactly. A young Earth is something that we could conceivably see someone ACTUALLY believing in. But a flat Earth is SO stupid that the "believers" must be deliberately trolling. There's no way someone could ACTUALLY believe that the Earth is flat.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

Young Earthers are the worst. They are generally brain washed religious nuts. Young Earthers/Creationists can actually impact society in negative ways.

The Flat Earthers are just sad, desperate people either believing conspiracy theories so they can be in the what-they-think-is-the-right minority, or trolls.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@Treflis: flat earthers already thinks gravity is a hoax. Really.

Because gravity would curl a flat earth into a sphere. The response is that gravity does not exist. Instead the earth is constantly accelerating upwards.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
@themajormayor said:

@Treflis: flat earthers already thinks gravity is a hoax. Really.

Because gravity would curl a flat earth into a sphere. The response is that gravity does not exist. Instead the earth is constantly accelerating upwards.

Then I'd say they're worse, or rather the biggest idiots.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

You're all still living in 2k18 while I'm from 3k18 and Scientist from 2k55 already proven that Earth was actually a Donut shape.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, it shows exactly just how intelligent they are, not being able to look any further than their own perspective.

Interesting. But I live near a sea and can't I see that the Earth is round when I look at the sea? Especially from an airplane you can see it is rounded. The horizon doesn't look flat at all from up high. Don't they believe in the gravitational force of the moon causing the ebb and tide? How does ebb and tide work on a flat surface? Is that another trick of the devil? If so, that sounds like a form of solipsism. Not necessarily idiocy as much as it is a logical trap that is pretty much entirely individual, which is exactly why that idea is kinda iffy, shouldn't be left unaddressed.

Then the only way 'out' is to explain that all theories are uncertain and based on assumptions, and it's a matter of figuring out which one is more likely. And then tell him - after considering this yourself - not to put all of his eggs in one basket. It might help. Give it a shot.

(If it's solipsism there is no point in telling or trying to convince him that his theory can't be proven, because solipsism is in a way circular and in a way that doesn't really involve other people's views in how the world works. Circular theories cannot always be proven but are also not inherently false. In the case of solipsism the scope tends to be so small there is no room for proof without knowing it's circular. But it may still be the truth. You can't disprove it nor prove it (kind of reminds me of the randomness in quantum physics: a limitation of information but in this case in philosophy not that I know much about quantum physics but someone in that field should look into its similarities), and its probability is extremely tough if not impossible to approximate for yourself, no matter how silly its resulting mindset sounds. (Because everything that's a given is questioned. No proof can influence its probability because all the proof we have is based on other world views (the world views of 'other' people) which solipsism essentially deems a fun idea rather than something worth a damn.) Its rules depend on the person. The rules are the person. So even if you say you have evidence to the contrary it will not be 'their' evidence.

I 'know' about this because I've been stuck with it for years trying to make heads or tails of it. When involved to such a degree it can lead to seemingly random assumptions/conclusions and complete inactivity. (For example at one point the concept of ownership was gone.) And I recognize it in everyone else in varying much less harmful degrees. I kind of suspect everyone has a bit of a solipsist inside of them because of the many assumptions we have to make to be able to function in life and our search for patterns. (The idea to some degree that the world is the way you think it is, no matter what you experience thereafter, because everything is what you know it is, and there is never (a need for) more (to explain the world/) in a given moment.) There have been quite a few philosophers who towards their later books started to dive into this and never got out. I would consider it a dangerous thought for society. But if you cannot close the door on it, then the best thing to do is to not dwell on it and consider it an odd possibility. Which is why I suggested the above. It's the only solution I personally ever found to stop myself from being completely consumed by it but obviously normal people don't dive into it to that degree. I'd still wager that the same thing works wonders on people who seem to accept an irrational idea and discount any type of proof.)

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@bush_dog said:

You're all still living in 2k18 while I'm from 3k18 and Scientist from 2k55 already proven that Earth was actually a Donut shape.

https://i.giphy.com/1ktwfTjwaQzde.gif

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

What's flat looks round.......from the pinnacle.....to the pit!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I would say flat earth theory is worse because young earth theory is a bit more believable. I mean, if I had a rubber ball, it would be pretty hard to convince people that it was a flat piece of rubber. Now, I could go around telling everyone that I just bought the ball yesterday, even though I had it over a year and most people would just have to take my word for it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178835 Posts

@plageus900 said:

People who believe the earth is flat or only 6000 years old should be thrown into a gas chamber.

Yikes there are worse people out there than those who believe things that aren't scientifically correct. Seems a bit extreme. You might want to get that checked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Young Earthers are the worst. They are generally brain washed religious nuts. Young Earthers/Creationists can actually impact society in negative ways.

The Flat Earthers are just sad, desperate people either believing conspiracy theories so they can be in the what-they-think-is-the-right minority, or trolls.

Yep, damage-wise flat earthers are really tame. Young Earthers on the other hand seem to have an obsessive-compulsive need to get in your face and have a whole bunch of other hangups...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Flat-earthers are just in it for the attention.

Young earth creationists are actively trying to dumb down Americans to control them.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I'd point out that the question wasn't which group of believers is worse. The question is whether or not flat earth vs young earth is worse.

In terms of which actual belief is worse, I still go with Flat Earth. The mere fact that young Earthers have any power demonstrates at least that people in power actually BELIEVE young Earth "theory". Or in other words, the notion is actually "good enough" to actually be believable by some people. By contrast, the notion that the Earth is flat is so dumb that no one actually believes it. That's too stupid for even stupid people.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Everybody knows the world is flat AND young. Trying to trick us with your trick questions, eh? Are you an alien, or in the Illuminati? You can't fool me! I know the real truth!!!

magician32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magician32
Member since 2018 • 13 Posts

I'm losing faith in humans...

@Gaming-Planet said:

My sister is a flat earther.