Favorite manga and why?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

mine would have to be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 7: Steel Ball run.

steel_ball_run_wallpaper_by_magma_dragoo

it has an amazing art style which really shows what Hirohiko Araki is capable of and speeks for its self.

Volume_92.jpg

steel_ball_run_wallpaper_v11_by_magma_dr

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcXnRnJFx2g9QpZZ7yCji

the fights are amazing and varied. this manga breaks all shonen tropes when it comes to the battles. enemies and protagonist alike are imbued with strange and highly situational powers. the winner are determined by pure intelligence and cunning. who ever can use they're strange abilities better than the other is the winner. For instance one person has the ability to reverse time 5 minutes, but is bound by strange sense of honor and never shoots first.

tumblr_m4wbp6SybZ1ql8tw2o1_500.jpg

or another example would be the main antagonist (who is the president of the united states), has the ability to travel to parallel universes by being pressed in between two objects. he uses this power to make himself immortal as he can implant his consciousness into the "him" from the other universes. he can also bring back doubles of enemies that explode when they meet the originals.

tumblr_m9we3f8ZuM1rxrnbio1_1280.png

his powers also manifest as a humanoid "stand" which can engage in melee combat.

SBR_Chapter_69.jpg

The story can only be considered a masterpiece. it takes place during the first intercontinental race: Steel Ball Run. mixed with horse racing and inter character rivalries is a strange quest by the us government to gather the corpse parts of Jesus Christ(which grant the owners supernatural powers) at the expense of the racers. the protagonists inadvertently fight them and other strange enemies as they try to win the most intense horse race ever.

this story is anything but cliche.

this manga has it all great battles, great characters, a superb and original plot and an amazing art style.

so whats your favorite manga?

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I've never read manga or know what its really about. Is it basically just like an anime but comic book form? I used to love animes like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, etc.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frannkzappa

I've never read manga or know what its really about. Is it basically just like an anime but comic book form? I used to love animes like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, etc.

nooblet69

most anime are based on manga. which are a lot like comic books, except they are mostly in black and white and come out much more frequently:20 pages weekly or 30-60 pages monthly.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37343 Posts
steel_ball_run_wallpaper_v11_by_magma_drfrannkzappa
please tell me that's ectoplasm from a spooky ghost
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Death Note, because I read 1/4 of one of the manga's and that's the only one I've ever read.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 548

#6 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 8905 Posts

I've got two favourites, first one is FullMetal Alchemist it was also the first manga series I probably got into. And the other is Air Gear been following the series since 2006 and really like the art in each volume, just finished reading volume 28 a while back

Filipino_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Filipino_Rambo
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts
Crows.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

That's some ugly art style right there....

I only read one manga. Vinland Saga. Absolutely beautifully drawn and it's about vikings. It's badass. In fact let's point this out again, it's a manga. About vikings. There is way too few media (games, manga, movies, series, books) about vikings. Why not? They're awesome.

Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 frannkzappa

I only read one manga. Vinland Saga. Absolutely beautifully drawn and it's about vikings. It's badass. In fact let's point this out again, it's a manga. About vikings. There is way too few media (games, manga, movies, series, books) about vikings. Why not? They're awesome.

xWoW_Rougex

i love vinland saga, though it's pretty much farmland saga now (getting better again though).

and how dare you say Jojo's art is ugly!!! you just can't handle the FABULOUSNESS that is araki.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2795 Posts

thats a weird looking Manga

I dont read Manga, I only got one Manga that I read which is Claymore

the rest is animes

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frannkzappa

thats a weird looking Manga

I dont read Manga, I only got one Manga that I read which is Claymore

the rest is animes

k--m--k

you'd probably like Berserk then. it's up the same ally as claymore but grittier and more violent.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Liar Game

Liar

Why: I just love stories where there are super intelligent characters that are unpredictable with their plans.

maheo30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maheo30
Member since 2006 • 5102 Posts
Attack on Titan is what I'm currently reading.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Between the Animes i watch and the comics i read I don't have time to start mangas too.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30204 Posts

57043.jpg.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

A classic and a masterpiece of a series.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k--m--k

art style of manga has clearly improved since the 90s lol

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k--m--k

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

frannkzappa

i love vinland saga, though it's pretty much farmland saga now (getting better again though).

and how dare you say Jojo's art is ugly!!! you just can't handle the FABULOUSNESS that is araki.

I wont say its ugly, its a bit gayish lol

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

k--m--k

I wont say its ugly, its a bit gayish lol

that is very truthful and acceptable... it's part of the charm.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frannkzappa

art style of manga has clearly improved since the 90s lol

k--m--k

if you are talking about kenshin, the art is a lot better in the actual panels. the volume covers don't really represent the art very well.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 1

#21 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

I can't decide just one, because it really depends on where I'm at atm in the manga and my overall mood for a certain genre, but my top 5 in MyAnimeList are currently:

Claymore - Because I like the characters and the setting, and the artstyle.

I am a Hero - Because it has amazing artstyle and is messed up at times.

Vagabond - Artstyle+story+characters

Shigurui - See above.

Lives - Mostly because of the artstyle, which I absolutely love.

T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
My favourite are Berserk,Shingeki no Kyojin,FMA,Bleach and Broken Blade.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I'm not into basketball at all but I absolutely loved reading Slam Dunk
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frannkzappa

I'm not into basketball at all but I absolutely loved reading Slam Dunk  YoshiYogurt

slam dunk is amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c74ba2955026
deactivated-5c74ba2955026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5c74ba2955026
Member since 2013 • 451 Posts

440640-fma_vol27.png

It made me an anime and manga fan 

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Only losers hate on Jojo. As for me? I don't really know, I rarely have favorites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

1crossgame.jpg

and

230px-Vagabond21.jpg

Too early to write an essay on why but both are the pinnacle of the medium in terms of story, dialogue, character development and interactions, and frame composition.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 frannkzappa

1crossgame.jpg

and

230px-Vagabond21.jpg

Too early to write an essay on why but both are the pinnacle of the medium in terms of story, dialogue, character development and interactions, and frame composition.

Aljosa23

meh, vagabond didn't portray musashi very well in my opinion. hispersonality and actions don't match the real thing at all.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Berserk, specifically the Golden Age arc. After the introduction to the main character, Guts, as an almost unsympathetic, brutal, and somewhat sardonic person whom embodies "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" in the first arc; it leaves a strong impression on who he is. Through the Golden Age arc we see the events that would lead to the development of such character. It brings into question the nature of men, whether we are tethered by causality or if we have a will of our own. There are also serious consequences to the decisions and actions characters make, some of which add to a sense foreboding given the state at which we see Guts both physically and mentally in the first arc.

It has great character development, given the array of the human condition the manga explores. The depths of depravity people journey through in order to shield themselves from the limitations of being human; ultimately how people cope with situations we find ourselves in and whether we have ever had real choice. That sharply contrasts with characters like Guts, who moves on despite the trauma and abuse he has faced through the sheer strength of his will alone. We also see how society and culture temper a persons state of being and raison d'être. The traits people find desirable and how they follow those with strong will like that of Griffith's. Griffith is handsome, intelligent, talented, and extremely capable. A man driven by his own purpose, something of a foil to Guts who survives simply to live another day. The crux of the Golden Age arc being the relationship that is forged between the two, and how both are affected by each other.

What are we willing to sacrifice in order to achieve that which we most desire? Some are more than willing to cast off their humanity, both in a literal and metaphorical sense, to attain it. There are those whom are self-sacrificing, and those that still search for it. A dream, a purpose, a reason to be. People find something to attach themselves to in order to keep on moving. Whether it be something as simple as protecting another, or as lofty as ruling your own kingdom. Though there are elements that are beyond our control: when, where, and to whom we are born to. How our societal standing affects our desires and expectations. What does it mean for the choices we make, when we so foolishly believe we are in charge of the situations we find ourselves in? 

It can be a very graphic manga. It does not shy away from depicting the cruelty people inflict on others. It also relishes in very fantastical depictions of gore. But that violence is necessary to the story the manga is trying to tell. There are moments of levity, something that is needed or else the story would be a bit too bleak. The moments of lightness also helps to contrast with the darkness the story presents. No one is truly safe in the world of Berserk. Even though Guts survives, he doesn't leave unscarred.

There are plenty of other reasons I find this to be not only my favorite, but the best manga ever. But I think that's enough for today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

meh, vagabond didn't portray musashi very well in my opinion. hispersonality and actions don't match the real thing at all.

frannkzappa

Considering the real Musashi is a near mythical figure equivalent to people like Wong Fei-Hung, portrayals in the media are destined to be skewed for entertainment value.

This raises the question; who the fvck would read a manga expecting historical accuracy? wtf

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

Aljosa23

Considering the real Musashi is a near mythical figure equivalent to people like Wong Fei-Hung, portrayals in the media are destined to be skewed for entertainment value.

This raises the question; who the fvck would read a manga expecting historical accuracy? wtf

oh i still love the manga, but the personality doesn't match up with the musahi as history describes him.

and that only matters because i loooove historical musashi.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Yangire

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

Aljosa23

There are various manga that are historically accurate, you can mostly find them serialized in Ran and Ran Twins.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

oh i still love the manga, but the personality doesn't match up with the musahi as history describes him.

Have you seen the Samurai trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune as Musashi?

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Considering the real Musashi is a near mythical figure equivalent to people like Wong Fei-Hung, portrayals in the media are destined to be skewed for entertainment value.

Aljosa23

i don't think so...

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Yangire

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

Historically musashi is a dick,

"The historical Musashi had little honor, at least in the sense that Bushido defines it. He would use any edge he could to win a duel, whether it involved killing a child or ambushing his foes. In his famous duel at Funajima (later named Ganryujima in honor of his slain foe) with rival swordsman Sasaki Kojiro, many historians now believe that Musashi failed to kill his foe. Instead, its thought that he merely wounded Sasaki and that it was Musashis retinue (thats right-contrary to popular belief, it seems Musashi didnt arrive on the island alone) that later ambushed and killed him"

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Considering the real Musashi is a near mythical figure equivalent to people like Wong Fei-Hung, portrayals in the media are destined to be skewed for entertainment value.

Yangire

Historically musashi is a dick,

"The historical Musashi had little honor, at least in the sense that Bushido defines it. He would use any edge he could to win a duel, whether it involved killing a child or ambushing his foes. In his famous duel at Funajima (later named Ganryujima in honor of his slain foe) with rival swordsman Sasaki Kojiro, many historians now believe that Musashi failed to kill his foe. Instead, its thought that he merely wounded Sasaki and that it was Musashis retinue (thats right-contrary to popular belief, it seems Musashi didnt arrive on the island alone) that later ambushed and killed him"

that's why i love him

it's also what the manga (or the novel it was based on) didn't portray

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frannkzappa

if kojiro isnt beaten to death with a moldy oar i will be very disappoint.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

frannkzappa

i don't think so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Trilogy

You definitely should. They're incredible films especially the first.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frannkzappa

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Have you seen the Samurai trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune as Musashi?

Aljosa23

i don't think so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Trilogy

You definitely should. They're incredible films especially the first.

I'm a huge fan of inagaki's work, so i will definitely give these a try.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24534 Posts

57043.jpg.

chessmaster1989

Nice pick sir! :)

As per usual I have lots 'o favorites for a lot of different reasons, but here's a few of them just to keep it brief. 

gunsmithcats

Wolfboy

pushman.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
One Piece at the moment.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hallenbeck77  Moderator  Online
Member since 2005 • 15985 Posts

Haven't read or bought too many myself, but the only ones I do own are Battle Royale and Gunsmith Cats.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43 BranKetra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

There are several manga I favor for their unique qualities. I will list these.

1) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 

-Story

-Artsyle

-Characters

-Theme

-Setting

I would also like to note at least a couple ideas in Street Fighter might have come from JoJo. Dhalsim's body stretching is from Jonathan Joestar's Zoom Punch he learns from Zeppeli and Rose might be based on Lisa Lisa.

(Click spoiler to see arcs)

[spoiler]

Part 1: Phantom Blood 

a

Part 2: Battle Tendency 

a

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders

a.

[/spoiler]

2) Battle Angel Alita 

a

-Plot

-Characters

-Setting

3) Baki the Grappler/Baki: Son of Ogre

a

-Artsyle

-Characters

-Theme

The following two are actually manhwa, but are worth reading.

4) The Breaker 

a

-Artstyle

-Plot

-Characters

-It ends on a cliffhanger so I am not saying theme

5) Veritas 

a

-Characters

-Setting

-Theme

6) Dragonball

a

-Setting

-Plot

-Characters

-Theme

-Artsyle

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

spice and wolf is a great drama

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
All time full metal alchemist Right now fairy tail
frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frannkzappa

There are several manga I favor for their unique qualities. I will list these.

1) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

-Story

-Artsyle

-Characters

-Theme

-Setting

I would also like to note at least a couple ideas in Street Fighter might have come from JoJo. Dhalsim's body stretching is from Jonathan Joestar's Zoom Punch he learns from Zeppeli and Rose might be based on Lisa Lisa.

(Click spoiler to see arcs)

[spoiler]

Part 1: Phantom Blood

a

Part 2: Battle Tendency

a

Part 3: Stardust Crusaders

a.

[/spoiler]

2) Battle Angel Alita

a

-Plot

-Characters

-Setting

3) Baki the Grappler/Baki: Son of Ogre

a

-Artsyle

-Characters

-Theme

The following two are actually manhwa, but are worth reading.

4) The Breaker

a

-Artstyle

-Plot

-Characters

-It ends on a cliffhanger so I am not saying theme

5) Veritas

a

-Characters

-Setting

-Theme

6) Dragonball

a

-Setting

-Plot

-Characters

-Theme

-Artsyle

BranKetra

in case you didn't know i am a massive fan of jojo.

dhalsim was based of the pillar men from part two, which had body manipulation abilities.

tumblr_lszlfpwYYO1qecd9qo1_500.png

and guile from street fighter was based on part 2's stroheim.

guile_stroheim.jpg

grappler baki is my second favorite series, glad to see there is another fan.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k--m--k

osirisx3

this looks nice

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

k--m--k

this looks nice

yeah its pretty cool most people have over looked this series. It has a 2 season anime that is unfished as well as a finnished light novel series the manga is still on going. I liked the anime so much i started reading the books which for me is not very common because i hate reading lol. Its about a wolf god and a traveler that agress to take her back to her home land and the drama they have on the way.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lone wolf and cub.

because it about the only thing i could ever stand to read more than a couple of issues and i liked the art style..

th?id=H.4786282526607946&pid=15.1

th?id=H.4747967151801732&pid=15.1

th?id=H.4882996617610154&pid=15.1

th?id=H.4904905252801104&pid=15.1

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 Lord_Omikron666