Facebook alienates rather than connects.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4936 posts) -

It claims to connect people but it actually reduces people to a collection of pixels and diminishes the joys of real conversation and face to face interaction which will leave future generations with severe communication difficulties.

Anyone agree or disagree?

#2 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

I'm fine with this. I don't have the best interpersonal communications skills so hopefully at some point it will bring more people down to my level.

#3 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

It claims to connect people but it actually reduces people to a collection of pixels and diminishes the joys of real conversation and face to face interaction which will leave future generations with severe communication difficulties.

Starshine_M2A2

How does it diminish the joy of real conversation?

#4 Posted by Planeforger (17346 posts) -
Surely it only does that if you replace actual conversation with Facebook messaging. Meanwhile, if you spend just as much time with your friends in real life, and then interact on Facebook on top of that...wouldn't that slightly enhance your connections with them?
#5 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
Surely it only does that if you replace actual conversation with Facebook messaging. Meanwhile, if you spend just as much time with your friends in real life, and then interact on Facebook on top of that...wouldn't that slightly enhance your connections with them?Planeforger
Time in a day is finite. I disagree with the poster, in some ways, because I think he's neglecting all the people who are far away and too busy to play answering machine tag. I don't like social media, but I'm very tired of everyone being down on it and the internet in general. "The internet is disconnecting us from reality!" It's such a farce. That's what people were saying about TV and headphones and other crap.
#6 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

I was thinking about that the other day. Seems like a lot of young people look at their "friends" as nothing more than usernames on a screen. If they were to disappear tomorrow, they wouldn't even notice, much less care.

#7 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I do feel like facebook has that potential. Some people use it as a showcase of their lives. They post pictures of everywhere they go and it seems like they're trying to one-up each other half the time. Perhaps that's just my perception, but that's how I feel about it.

#8 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

I have been able to use connections on Facebook to see old friends in person. But I do see your point.

#9 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

facebook lets me connect with people I'd never otherwise see in person (even within my own family), so it's the opposite for me

#11 Posted by Blueresident87 (5657 posts) -

Facebook is sad, but it only alienates people if they allow it to.

Some act as though Facebook accounts are a requirement to be alive or something...

#12 Posted by cheese_game619 (13317 posts) -
no it means i keep up with a lot of people i wouldnt have otherwise got the chance to also seeing as how im not the biggest fan of small talk, knowing a little about someone i havent seen in a while is useful when you bump into them and the events system definitely makes it easier to know whats going on and catch up with people
#13 Posted by djdarkforces (812 posts) -

i was gonna type some thing but all i can remember is a girl and a hola hoop :)

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
#14 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -
It claims to connect people but it actually reduces people to a collection of pixels and diminishes the joys of real conversation and face to face interaction which will leave future generations with severe communication difficulties.Starshine_M2A2
wow, deep
#15 Posted by MistressMinako (45959 posts) -
I see your point but... it isn't really Facebook or the Internet's fault that people are relying on websites for communication. It's the people themselves. I can see if you are too busy to meet up or they live too far away but if you aren't then Facebook isn't to blame. I don't even have transportation so not like I could anyway if I tried unless that person had transportation.
#16 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162181 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Surely it only does that if you replace actual conversation with Facebook messaging. Meanwhile, if you spend just as much time with your friends in real life, and then interact on Facebook on top of that...wouldn't that slightly enhance your connections with them?homegirl2180
Time in a day is finite. I disagree with the poster, in some ways, because I think he's neglecting all the people who are far away and too busy to play answering machine tag. I don't like social media, but I'm very tired of everyone being down on it and the internet in general. "The internet is disconnecting us from reality!" It's such a farce. That's what people were saying about TV and headphones and other crap.

To be fair people that spent all day with TV or games did lose social contact.
#17 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10701 posts) -

i agree that it alienates close friends,but it actually helps keeping in touch with old friends.

#18 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
I usually go on facebook when bored..... Seeing friends on who are are not doing anything as well tends to lead to more social interaction since we plan to do something. Depends how you use it I guess.
#19 Posted by klusps (10386 posts) -

I blame the person. If a person doesn't socially interact with his/her friends then it's their problem. I don't know anybody who would want to talk to their friends on Facebook then in real life. The best thing that Facebook probably does is to keep you in contact with friends or family members in different parts of the country/world.

#20 Posted by thegerg (18283 posts) -
no
#21 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Grandpa, I told you to GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!

Old people like you will just die soon anyways, all you do is prevent new ideas and concepts!

#22 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4936 posts) -

Old people like you will just die soon anyways, all you do is prevent new ideas and concepts!

SPYDER0416

I'm 25 so I'm hardly old and it's quite ironic that someone who claims to support new ideas and concepts is so intolerant...

And I'm always in favour of growth and development since it's what defines us as human beings but not when such developments become counter productive. Facebook does not represent growth but a breakdown of the English language and communication skills that have developed over eons...

The people I'm most worried about is future generations that will be brought up on Facebook. What do you think the repercussions will be of encouraging them to adopt such soulless methods of expression?

#23 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

>implying that it is always used to replace socialization, rather than supplement it, plan IRL sh!t, and keep in contact w/ people.

mkaaaay

#24 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -

I like it for it's connections and sometimes meeting new people. But I hate the egotistical, Narcissistic, attention seeking,people who are too dependent on Facebook who use it. Exposing their personal lives and for some people it can be a case of meeting the wrong people which don't help because they subsequently moan about it to me or Facebook.

#25 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

And I'm always in favour of growth and development since it's what defines us as human beings but not when such developments become counter productive. Facebook does not represent growth but a breakdown of the English language and communicationskills that have developed over eons...

Starshine_M2A2

Are you new to the internet?

#26 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Starshine_M2A2

I'm 25 so I'm hardly old and it's quite ironic that someone who claims to support new ideas and concepts is so intolerant...

And I'm always in favour of growth and development since it's what defines us as human beings but not when such developments become counter productive. Facebook does not represent growth but a breakdown of the English language and communication skills that have developed over eons...

The people I'm most worried about is future generations that will be brought up on Facebook. What do you think the repercussions will be of encouraging them to adopt such soulless methods of expression?

That isn't the creation's fault. That's just people.
#27 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4936 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

And I'm always in favour of growth and development since it's what defines us as human beings but not when such developments become counter productive. Facebook does not represent growth but a breakdown of the English language and communicationskills that have developed over eons...

No. Are you?
#28 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2

No. Are you?

The English language broke down way before Facebook

#29 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10053 posts) -
Facebook is crap, end of story.
#30 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22623 posts) -

Not true for me. All my FB contacts are people I know and associate with in real life. We use FB like a glorified e-mail. I ignore friend requests from people I've never met in real life.

As for language deteriorating with the Internet age...... It's not the case for me or my friends. We all work for a living which means we post in FB with proper grammar. If the kids choose to butcher the English language, that's their problem. I don't talk too much with them.

#31 Posted by Shmiity (6090 posts) -

I totally disagree. I love facebook. Do you know how many people Ive been able to keep in touch with because of it? It would be impossible otherwise. I am a facebook fan, definitely. 1000+ friendsss

#32 Posted by Nietzsche22456 (25 posts) -
Most of the things I have read on Facebook have been utter garbage... and I have seen hundreds of profiles. Maybe I just saw the wrong ones... who knows. Most of the things I have witnessed have been empty comments regarding nothing with absolutely no hope of developing into a conversation with an ounce of substance.
#33 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I don't really think it ruins people's abilities to socialize irl. It can be annoying, but in fact I think a lot of people feel compelled to use it to show off what seemingly great real lives they actually have, which is annoying, but not in the way that you're suggesting.

#34 Posted by Angie7F (1175 posts) -
I think that : 1) facebook connects you to a lot of people that you would lose contact with other wise 2) facebook takes away conversation from people that you would have connected with more if it weren't for facebook. 3) facebook can depress the hell out of you because people only write about the good stuff and makes you feel like you are the only person with a crappy boring life. I used to text my bestfriend all day before facebook came along. Now I post on facebook and anyone who wants to respond will respond.
Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
#35 Posted by deactivated-58061ea11c905 (999 posts) -

Facebook is for bullies and low-life people.

Probably all the people who bullied me in high school are now on facebook.

Avatar image for NarcissistLoser
#36 Posted by NarcissistLoser (39 posts) -
I think it depends on the person... I do not think generalizing is right.
#37 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
Depends on the person. I don't really go on it much though, many people who add me as a 'friend' are in reality more of an acquaintance. And it's fueling narcissistic behaviour in many people I know about; people who spend time trying to take a profile picture of themselves in their bathroom mirror, or creating the illusion that 100+ people really care about what you had to eat for breakfast. I don't care for using it that way. However, for keeping in contact with people oversea's, or people who I could not normally communicate with, it's great.
#38 Posted by BiancaDK (19082 posts) -

i dunno man, see

It claimsto connect people but it actually reduces people to a collection of pixels and diminishes the joys of real conversationand face to face interaction which will leave future generations with severe communication difficulties.

Starshine_M2A2

it does help to facilitate a possible connection between people, you should only have a gripe with facebooks claim if you're being pedantic about it

being "reduced" to pixels, as opposed to being being... Viewn correctly?Or is 'traditionally' the word i should be looking for

it would only diminish the "joys of real conversation", if facebook somehow worked to neutralize "real conversation", both in and out of facebook. You may argue that as far as a communicative platform, facebook leaves a lot to be desired, but how you carry yourself outside of facebook in terms of linguistics, isn't really on facebooks hands, rather, that would be your own doing entirely. Hence your accusation stands out as unwarranted

if you have a problem with facebook on the issue of it being detrimental to the development of face-to-face interaction, you could find yourself having a problem with any social activity that doesn't directly involve face-to-face interaction. Yet you raise the issue on account of facebook specifically, which again makes the accusations seem unwarranted

lastly, i don't know how you manage to make such a conclusion, when the premises provided are all lacking

tl;dr: /disagrees

#39 Posted by m0zart (11568 posts) -

My main complaint about Facebook was that it kept people almsot too connected with you. I have a lot of different groups of friends, with different views and ideas, and having them clash isn't something I really wanted. Hence I would keep my friends list down to just one of thsoe groups, and a few select people I thought wouldn't end up in fights with that main group.

But Facebook has changed some of that now. I'm not completely happy with it, but at least I can keep larger groups of friends without posting everything to all of them, or having something on which I comment or "like" to become the target of a few of my fellow rabble rousers.

#40 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Facebook is crap, end of story.ShadowsDemon

its only as crap as the friends you make on it

#41 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

It doesnt matter we will all live in the matrix anyway.

#42 Posted by cfstar (1979 posts) -
Facebook is shít. What's new?
#43 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
I haven't been on facebook in 4 months since I deactivated it. What drove me over the edge was people I don't know wishing me a happy birthday haha
#44 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

It causes arguments aplenty.

The amount of times you hear people say "well he said on Facebook..." "well she told me on Facebook..." "well I seen your status on Facebook..." "well the photo's on Facebook..." and so on are quite high.

#45 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4936 posts) -

it would only diminish the "joys of real conversation", if facebook somehow worked to neutralize "real conversation", both in and out of facebook. You may argue that as far as a communicative platform, facebook leaves a lot to be desired, but how you carry yourself outside of facebook in terms of linguistics, isn't really on facebooks hands, rather, that would be your own doing entirely. Hence your accusation stands out as unwarranted.BiancaDK
Perhaps our generation will have the ability to discern how to behave online and offline but those that sign up in primary school are in far worse a position since that crucial development is going to be lacking. It's ridiculous to believe that teaching children at an early age that facebook is the best way to interact with people will make them outgoing and socially responsible in the real world.
if you have a problem with facebook on the issue of it being detrimental to the development of face-to-face interaction, you could find yourself having a problem with any social activity that doesn't directly involve face-to-face interaction. Yet you raise the issue on account of facebook specifically, which again makes the accusations seem unwarranted.BiancaDK
True. Facebook is not the only social networking site out there not to mention the many chat platforms and so on. But, I've yet to discover any service that is so determined to replace all face to face interaction with a computer. The reliance on connection with corporations, the intergrated live chat, browser gaming, apps that manage every aspect of daily life and the standard comment, tagging and group creations. It's as if it's taken features from every other site and blended them all together to produce a service that no longer as any connection to the real world at all.
lastly, i don't know how you manage to make such a conclusion, when the premises provided are all lacking.BiancaDK
Not sure I understand that comment but I do think you're being very naive.

#46 Posted by Lockedge (16765 posts) -

Starshine_M2A2

You''re equating "real conversation" to face to face, in person, conversation.

This is highly problematic.

There is something to e said about how digital communication has changed the process of socialization, but it isn't a worse way of communication. it's simply different.