Exposed: Offshore Tax Secrets of the Mega-Rich, Financial WikiLeaks

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

A cache of 2.5 million files has cracked open the secrets of more than 120,000 offshore companies and trusts, exposing hidden dealings of politicians, con men and the mega-rich the world over. The secret records obtained by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists lay bare the names behind covert companies and private trusts in the British Virgin Islands, the Cook Islands and other offshore hideaways. They include American doctors and dentists and middle-class Greek villagers as well as families and associates of long-time despots, Wall Street swindlers, Eastern European and Indonesian billionaires, Russian corporate executives, international arms dealers and a sham-director-fronted company that the European Union has labeled as a cog in Irans nuclear-development program. The leaked files provide facts and figures cash transfers, incorporation dates, links between companies and individuals that illustrate how offshore financial secrecy has spread aggressively around the globe, allowing the wealthy and the well-connected to dodge taxes and fueling corruption and economic woes in rich and poor nations alike. The records detail the offshore holdings of people and companies in more than 170 countries and territories. The hoard of documents represents the biggest stockpile of inside information about the offshore system ever obtained by a media organization. The total size of the files, measured in gigabytes, is more than 160 times larger than the leak of U.S. State Department documents by Wikileaks in 2010. To analyze the documents, ICIJ collaborated with reporters from The Guardian and the BBC in the U.K., Le Monde in France, Süddeutsche Zeitung and Norddeutscher Rundfunk in Germany, The Washington Post, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and 31 other media partners around the world. Eighty-six journalists from 46 countries used high-tech data crunching and shoe-leather reporting to sift through emails, account ledgers and other files covering nearly 30 years. ... Offshore patrons identified in the documents include: Individuals and companies linked to Russias Magnitsky Affair, a tax fraud scandal that has strained U.S.-Russia relations and led to a ban on Americans adopting Russian orphans. A Venezuelan deal maker accused of using offshore entities to bankroll a U.S.-based Ponzi scheme and funneling millions of dollars in bribes to a Venezuelan government official. A corporate mogul who won billions of dollars in contracts amid Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyevs massive construction boom even as he served as a director of secrecy-shrouded offshore companies owned by the presidents daughters. Indonesian billionaires with ties to the late dictator Suharto, who enriched a circle of elites during his decades in power. The anonymity of the offshore world makes it difficult to track the flow of money. A study by James S. Henry, former chief economist at McKinsey & Company, estimates that wealthy individuals have $21 trillion to $32 trillion in private financial wealth tucked away in offshore havens roughly equivalent to the size of the U.S. and Japanese economies combined.

Should these people be arrested?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

link?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Should these people be arrested?

Lonelynight

Probably.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lonelynight

link?

tenaka2
opps forgot to put it in sos
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
Gonna play with fire...you'll eventually get burned.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Arrested for keeping their money?  Maybe they can arrest the people who were apart of the ponzi scheme, but I don't see why the other people should be put in a cage for trying to keep their money away from the government.  

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight

Arrested for keeping their money?  Maybe they can arrest the people who were apart of the ponzie scheme, but I don't see why the other people should be put in a cage for trying to keep their money away from the government.  

hoola
they could've chose to migrate elsewhere with lower taxes. But I only really want those who got their money through corrupt means to go to prison.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
What I don't understand is, what's the point? Why hoard the money when you're so rich that you already have a bigger home than you need, more cars than you can drive, more TV's than you can watch, etc. etc. I guess I just don't get it.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lonelynight
What I don't understand is, what's the point? Why hoard the money when you're so rich that you already have a bigger home than you need, more cars than you can drive, more TV's than you can watch, etc. etc. I guess I just don't get it.General_X
maybe they just like the smell of money
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hoola

What I don't understand is, what's the point? Why hoard the money when you're so rich that you already have a bigger home than you need, more cars than you can drive, more TV's than you can watch, etc. etc. I guess I just don't get it.General_X

I have to agree.  If i made enough money that storing it in an offshore account would save me a little bit, I probably wouldn't do it just because of the hassle of moving it and the risk that I did something wrong.  

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Because greed is powerful. And it's about retaining wealth within the family. Even though personally you may never be able to spend that kind of money, it ensures your family can live in opulence for many, many generations following you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Arrested for keeping their money?  Maybe they can arrest the people who were apart of the ponzi scheme, but I don't see why the other people should be put in a cage for trying to keep their money away from the government.  

hoola

Lying to the IRS is a crime. If you don't want to pay taxes, move to some tax haven place like Monaco.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Because the guy who dies with the most money wins.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hoola

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Aljosa23

Lying to the IRS is a crime. If you don't want to pay taxes, move to some tax haven place like Monaco.

Is all of this illegal or are they finding loopholes and exceptions in the tax law to allow them to do this legally?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You always want more money

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 3eyedrazorback
[QUOTE="General_X"]What I don't understand is, what's the point? Why hoard the money when you're so rich that you already have a bigger home than you need, more cars than you can drive, more TV's than you can watch, etc. etc. I guess I just don't get it.-Sun_Tzu-

Monopoly taught us this.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="General_X"]What I don't understand is, what's the point? Why hoard the money when you're so rich that you already have a bigger home than you need, more cars than you can drive, more TV's than you can watch, etc. etc. I guess I just don't get it.3eyedrazorback

Monopoly taught us this.

I thought Monopoly taught us to always be the banker

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

Is all of this illegal or are they finding loopholes and exceptions in the tax law to allow them to do this legally?

I don't think what they are doing is illegal, I can't say the same for the people who obtained the money illegally though. The bottom line is when you make money you want more, and its called human desires, nothing is ever enough.
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 3eyedrazorback

[QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]Because the guy who dies with the most money wins. lostrib

Monopoly taught us this.

Crap, you're right. Also, it taught me that in life, rolling doubles is good (until the third time). Not really pertinent, but it's always good to know.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

hoola

pure selfishness.

They deserve to be jailed.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib

[QUOTE="hoola"]

MakeMeaSammitch

pure selfishness.

for being selfish?

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

capitalists once again prove how disgusting they are. Marx was right about all this happening.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="3eyedrazorback"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Because the guy who dies with the most money wins. lostrib

Monopoly taught us this.

deep
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

capitalists once again prove how disgusting they are. Marx was right about all this happening.

osirisx3

But communism sucks

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

osirisx3

History has proven that planned economies work flawlessly. 

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

lostrib

pure selfishness.

for being selfish?

yes.

raped in the a$$ too.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lonelynight

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

Jebus213

Singapore seems to be doing pretty good.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]pure selfishness.

MakeMeaSammitch

for being selfish?

yes.

raped in the a$$ too.

You're a moron

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

Lonelynight

Singapore seems to be doing pretty good.

Singapore has a mixed economy.

You could probably find a European country that has a more socialized economy.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

for being selfish?

lostrib

yes.

raped in the a$$ too.

You're a moron

With a wine bottle.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Is any of this actually illegal though?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
What a bunch of bronze league noobs. Everyone knows hoarding money isn't the way to win, you gotta spend that sh*t.
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Is any of this actually illegal though? HoolaHoopMan

The act of putting into an offshore account isn't the problem. The problem comes when people place their money in off-shore accounts, invest it, make a good amount of money off of that, then bring it back into their native country without paying the taxes on that money.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
There is nothing wrong with avoiding taxes. They should not be arrested for that.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

There is nothing wrong with avoiding taxes. They should not be arrested for that.Laihendi

well they should if they've broken the law

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

There is nothing wrong with avoiding taxes. They should not be arrested for that.Laihendi
To you maybe, but to the US government and laws it is (no matter what your view on it) if laws were broken.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
Greed.....
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Laihendi
Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.Laihendi
I don't see any lawsuits being filed.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.Laihendi
And yet I'm sure you are happy to have a military to defend the country so no one can come in and take away your property and enslave you, you probably use roads every day to get around, etc etc. You seem greed Lai....
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

If they broke the law, then they should be charged with a crime.  They decided to do business and live in America, so they should obey the laws

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.lostrib

If they broke the law, then they should be charged with a crime.  They decided to do business and live in America, so they should obey the laws

No they should not. Looters do not have a right to establish a legal monopoly over an entire country. Looter government are not legitimate. And LJ, how is a government that says I do not have a right to property or wealth, that says it can take whatever it wants from me because I live on its land by its charity, how can such a government protect me from others who would enslave me? How does a slaver protect me from slavery?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

:roll:  Yes they should.. They are more or less leaching off the system.. Taking for all it's worth, while not paying into it..  I can't believe people actually can defend this behavior what so ever..  No one cares about their money.. It's the fact it is having a negative impact on the system which affects us all.. When you have people like this taking advantage of the system, while not paying to it.. We are leading to a system that will eventually collapse.. 

And people wonder why we are losing American jobs.. Because we have a environment in which corporations can and will off shore everything they can with out any reprecautions, all while reaping the benefits of being within the US including the consumer base..  This should not be allowed.. If businesses still want to off shore for instance, well they can feel free to leave the United States, or pay a heavy penalty for doing so.. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.Laihendi

No they should not. Looters do not have a right to establish a legal monopoly over an entire country. Looter government are not legitimate. And LJ, how is a government that says I do not have a right to property or wealth, that says it can take whatever it wants from me because I live on its land by its charity, how can such a government protect me from others who would enslave me? How does a slaver protect me from slavery?

WTF are you talking about?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Any government that says it has a right to take what you produce simply because you produced it is a thief and its laws are not legitimate. Right and wrong are objective concepts and they are not matters of perspective.Laihendi

Says the guy living off his parents.. Says the guy going to a public  university.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]There is nothing wrong with avoiding taxes. They should not be arrested for that.sSubZerOo

:roll:  Yes they should.. They are more or less leaching off the system.. Taking for all it's worth, while not paying into it..  I can't believe people actually can defend this behavior what so ever..  No one cares about their money.. It's the fact it is having a negative impact on the system which affects us all.. When you have people like this taking advantage of the system, while not paying to it.. We are leading to a system that will eventually collapse.. 

And people wonder why we are losing American jobs.. Because we have a environment in which corporations can and will off shore everything they can with out any reprecautions, all while reaping the benefits of being within the US including the consumer base..  This should not be allowed.. If businesses still want to off shore for instance, well they can feel free to leave the United States, or pay a heavy penalty for doing so.. 

Agreed.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

LJS9502_basic

WTF are you talking about?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

They knowingly broke the laws that they tacitly agreed to follow by being citizens of the United States.  If they don't want to pay taxes or deal with the government, they can go live somewhere else.  Or perhaps they can go start their own country , FreeTopia where they can all be libertarian dumbasses together.  And they can all higher their own private armies and claim their own territory. And then perhaps some poor people can come work on their land, and they'll call them serfs or something like that.  

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]There is nothing wrong with avoiding taxes. They should not be arrested for that.sSubZerOo

The wealthy are not leaches. That is an unfounded and ridiculous claim. The wealthy do not need food stamps, housing projects, medicare, medicaid, social security, public education, or almost any other government service. Those things make no difference to them because they are rich. They do not need government services and so they do not use them. They should not have to pay for those services so that other people can use them.