Explosion in Oslo, Norway. Terrorist Attack. 90+ Dead.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#751 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

While what he did was horrific, and he himself is a monster...he sure does look hilariously ludicrous in this posed shot. His Mini-14 rifle as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#752 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think it is kind of sad that you guys discuss something that has nothing to do with this, please keep on the topic:)
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#753 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Lol what? Who in the world is saying violent attacks such as this should be taken out of context? What people are saying is for example do the Jews had the right to defend againsts Nazis for example, even if that involves violence? So, you are saying we should just roll over and let the Nazis kill jews or any other religious minority?

Xtasy26

No, that's not what I'm saying. You and I are on different wavelengths here. :)

In this thread, quite a few have come on and wrongly claimed Islam the culprit, said that it is violent, and responsible for many terrorist attacks. Somebody then comes in in the defense of Islam and states it is not a violent religion. Then when someone else posts verses from the Quran that demonstrate and promote violent action, they are rebutted under the premise that it's not violent because they've been taken out of context. That's what I disagree with. It comes off as a cop-out. I don't care WHAT context this is in:

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Even viewed in context, that still strikes me as quite brutal. This is not that difficult to see. And yes, I'll be the first to agree that Jews and others absolutely have the right to fight and kill to protect themselves, but that's not the issue. The issue is, if they did so, I could not then go on to claim that their retaliation was "peaceful" simply because it was justified, which is what you (and those who claim Islam to be absolutely peaceful) seem to be arguing.

But why do ignore the verses that precede the verse you quoted and the verses that comes after it? Isn't that selective reading?

With your second point, how are you going to fight fascism by being "peaceful"? Do people have a right if they are living in dictatorial society where a fasicsm runs rampant, do they have the right to use violence to get rid of that fasicsm? Yes or No.

You're making a straw-man argument here by presenting rekunta as a pacifist while he didnt claim or hint that he is one.

bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#754 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
well children listen here, make sure not to argue about religion on the internet as you'll never be right.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
So has the final death count been lowered?
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

So has the final death count been lowered?MushroomWig

yeah it's 76 now

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#757 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]So has the final death count been lowered?Harisemo

yeah it's 76 now

it might rise though
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
This is proof enough that terrorism is not exclusive of islamists but any religious fanatical with a strong political position should be considered dangerous. And the US is filled with them.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759 The_Last_Ride
terrorism has never been exlusive to one religion or point of view
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Absolutely. What else would you call it? Peaceful retribution? I think you're misunderstanding me....I'm not attempting to lay blame at Islam's feet here, I'm just saying what I see. It irks me whenever someone comes out after a violent act is carried out in Islam's name (or any other) and states, "no no no, you don't understand.....it's not violent, because it's meant to be taken incontext." So what? It is still violent. I don't need to be an expert in Islam to see that some of the passages are fairly brutal, as many are in other religions. But no, we can't actually come out and SAY that in today's world, especially about Islam, it's too politically incorrect.

I'm not meaning to single out Islam, this applies towards all.And yes, I know this wasn't carried out by Muslims, but by some right wing Christian fundamentalist nut.

civic_misfit

i think thats the most important part here, most of these type of debates start because some person is religiously biased, while its clear that all of them had their share of blood spill.

Maybe. But not all of them continue to spill blood.

like i said, you must have a religious bias if you truly believe that :lol:

civic_misfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#761 civic_misfit
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts

[QUOTE="civic_misfit"]

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

i think thats the most important part here, most of these type of debates start because some person is religiously biased, while its clear that all of them had their share of blood spill.

Half-Way

Try looking outside of just Christianity/Islam.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 Half-Way

Bombing in peaceful part of Europe?

Muslim terrorists?

What a surprise! :o

....not.

Phaze-Two

:lol:

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 The_Last_Ride

Muslim terrorists?

....not.

Phaze-Two
i think we made it quite clear that it isn't a muslim terrorist
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="civic_misfit"]

civic_misfit

Try looking outside of just Christianity/Islam.

the only major religion that doesn't seem to be doing much blood spill is Buddhism, but its also quite different from religions in the traditional sense.

but even then. Its hard to define what is really religiously focused terrorism as oppose to political terror or terror with hidden agendas. But thats an entirely different discussion,

As for this one, its important to stay neutral and dont accuse one of doing more wrong then other. Especially considering the media cant always be trusted when it comes to objectivity, or concentrating on one issue rather then more.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
terrorism has never been exlusive to one religion or point of viewThe_Last_Ride
I know but people these days seem to associate terrorism and islam almost exclusively. Christianism has been one of the most terrorizing religions in the history of mankind if not the most. Religious fanatics are just NOT ok.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

Muslim terrorists?

....not.

The_Last_Ride

now that actually really is a surprise!

good job muslims! it wasn't you this time!

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#768 Half-Way

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

Muslim terrorists?

....not.

Phaze-Two

oh you Americans :lol:

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] i think we made it quite clear that it isn't a muslim terroristHalf-Way

At least i was right about the attacker being a religious extremist.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#770 Half-Way

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

Phaze-Two

At least i was right about the attacker being a religious extremist.

well he was actually politically motivated :P He described himself as moderately religious. But he did compare himself to the knight Templar

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771 The_Last_Ride
so the terrorist's lawyer says he is insane
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Change the title. only 76 dead as if now
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#773 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
so the terrorist's lawyer says he is insaneThe_Last_Ride
What else can you really say if you're a defense lawyer and your client already admitted to it then plead not-guilty. Best thing we can do right now is not let the media get their hands on it, that's exactly what this **** wants.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#774 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]so the terrorist's lawyer says he is insaneAce6301
What else can you really say if you're a defense lawyer and your client already admitted to it then plead not-guilty. Best thing we can do right now is not let the media get their hands on it, that's exactly what this **** wants.

yes all this guy wants now is to speak his beliefs
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#775 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

No, that's not what I'm saying. You and I are on different wavelengths here. :)

In this thread, quite a few have come on and wrongly claimed Islam the culprit, said that it is violent, and responsible for many terrorist attacks. Somebody then comes in in the defense of Islam and states it is not a violent religion. Then when someone else posts verses from the Quran that demonstrate and promote violent action, they are rebutted under the premise that it's not violent because they've been taken out of context. That's what I disagree with. It comes off as a cop-out. I don't care WHAT context this is in:

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Even viewed in context, that still strikes me as quite brutal. This is not that difficult to see. And yes, I'll be the first to agree that Jews and others absolutely have the right to fight and kill to protect themselves, but that's not the issue. The issue is, if they did so, I could not then go on to claim that their retaliation was "peaceful" simply because it was justified, which is what you (and those who claim Islam to be absolutely peaceful) seem to be arguing.

Teenaged

But why do ignore the verses that precede the verse you quoted and the verses that comes after it? Isn't that selective reading?

With your second point, how are you going to fight fascism by being "peaceful"? Do people have a right if they are living in dictatorial society where a fasicsm runs rampant, do they have the right to use violence to get rid of that fasicsm? Yes or No.

You're making a straw-man argument here by presenting rekunta as a pacifist while he didnt claim or hint that he is one.

So, enlighten me what was he referring to again? Should people should just roll over when some fasicst government like the Nazis is going after a particular religious group because of their religion?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#776 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Xtasy26

So, enlighten me what was he referring to again? Should people should just roll over when some fasicst government like the Nazis is going after a particular religious group because of their religion?

You are either not reading or not understanding what I'm saying at all, and have created a straw-man as Teenaged so rightly pointed out arguing against something I did not even state in the first place. As a matter of fact, I wrote,

"And yes, I'll be the first to agree that Jews and others absolutely have the right to fight and kill to protect themselves,"

....which you seemed to have missed. I'm no pacifist, I've alluded to this fact in my previous posts and will state it explicitly here for you again. You may want to reread all my past relies to you, because I won't address straw-mans and am growing tired of reiterating myself over and over.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#777 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]You're making a straw-man argument here by presenting rekunta as a pacifist while he didnt claim or hint that he is one.

Rekunta

You are either not reading or not understanding what I'm saying at all, and have created a straw-man as Teenaged so rightly pointed out arguing against something I did not even state in the first place. As a matter of fact, I wrote,

"And yes, I'll be the first to agree that Jews and others absolutely have the right to fight and kill to protect themselves,"

....which you seemed to have missed. I'm no pacifist, I've alluded to this fact in my previous posts and will state it explicitly here for you again. You may want to reread all my past relies to you, because I won't address straw-mans and am growing tired of reiterating myself over and over.

Okay, so it doesn't matter whether you considered action A or B eventhough it may be violent and the manner it proceeds as long as it's used to defend one selves against religious persecution? Yes?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#778 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

Xtasy26

Okay, so it doesn't matter whether you considered action A or B eventhough it may be violent and the manner it proceeds as long as it's used to defend one selves against religious persecution? Yes?

No offense meant, but your use of English is a bit confusing, and I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

Do I believe people have the right to defend themselves from persecution? Yes. Do I believe they have the right to use violence as a means against it? Absolutely. Do I believe therefor it's not then violent because it's being used as self defense? NO. That's all I'm saying, and I don't know why this is so hard to understand. It's a simple point, and I honestly don't know how else to express it.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#779 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Rekunta

No offense meant, but your use of English is a bit confusing, and I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

Do I believe people have the right to defend themselves from persecution? Yes. Do I believe they have the right to use violence as a means against it? Absolutely. Do I believe therefor it's not then violent because it's being used as self defense? NO. That's all I'm saying, and I don't know why this is so hard to understand. It's a simple point, and I honestly don't know how else to express it.

Okay, I understand. It's kind of like people who are against the death penalty. The point I was making is that whether one believes in the death penalty or not, it doesn't still doesn't take it away from the fact that the person being put to death may have been a serial killer. Get my drift....

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#780 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]terrorism has never been exlusive to one religion or point of viewkuraimen
I know but people these days seem to associate terrorism and islam almost exclusively. Christianism has been one of the most terrorizing religions in the history of mankind if not the most. Religious fanatics are just NOT ok.

Christianity is past the days when the Catholic Church ruled the world...and I guess you've never heard of the Ottoman empire...

What Christianity was like hundreds of years ago doesn't mean it's like that today...

I'm an atheist, so please, don't claim this religious bias crap.