Exceptional Skill in the Technical Aspects of Filmmaking

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kao-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kao-Sama
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

As you guys may know, there are tons of fan-made films on YouTube and other sites on the internet. After seeing quite a few of them, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that seperates "amatuer" filmmakers from professionals is the availabiltiy of resources. However, in regard to the talent needed to do things such as choreograph fight scenes, create visual effects, and manipulate a camera in certain ways, I'd say that a lot of "amatuers" are just as good as the professionals in Hollywood. So, this leads me to ask, is filmmaking truly a high level field (i.e. one that only a few individuals can master)? Or can anyone who is willing to put in the required time master it? When you exclude the budget and tools available to Hollywood filmmakers, what seprates them from the average joe? Does working a camera, altering lighting, selecting clothing for actors, and other technical aspects to making a film require true talent?

Take the following Star Wars fan-film into consideration. I'd say that the choreography is just as good as that of the fight scenes in the actual Star Wars films. If the guys who made this fan-film had the necessary budget and tools, I think they could make a fight scene that looks just as polished as the ones in the actual films.

Fan-Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZM4Hkw5CPk&list=LLE0AFvJBUBxOfpSuFDf1Zrw&feature=mh_lolz

What do you think, OT?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I guess anyone can make a movie, but regardles of the resources available there are still some that are simply better than others and no amount of practice or money can fix that. I don't really think you can accidentally make a great movie just because you have resources, but I get what you mean, sometimes the only thing separating an amature and a professional are the resources available to them.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
That star wars movie wasn't that great. No amount of equipment can make up for a lack of talent.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
You spelled Kaio-sama wrong.
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Being able to work with extremely limited resources is a mark of true talent.

Massive Hollywood budgets promote stagnation, as the focus groups and investors only care about what makes money...not what makes a good movie.

I would actually say that filmmaking is a low-level field, where the moment you start pandering to $100+ million budgets, you stop making a film and start making a commercial product.

King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 King-Kai
Member since 2012 • 934 Posts
You spelled Kaio-sama wrong.BranKetra
"Kaio-sama" is taken, but how's my current username? :)
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]You spelled Kaio-sama wrong.King-Kai

Are you the same user as the topic creator? I guess it's okay. It would be cool if you knew a lot of stuff like he does in the show. I like it when people can "play the part."
King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 King-Kai
Member since 2012 • 934 Posts
[QUOTE="King-Kai"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]You spelled Kaio-sama wrong.BranKetra

Are you the same user as the topic creator? I guess it's okay. It would be cool if you knew a lot of stuff like he does in the show. I like it when people can "play the part."

Yes, I'm the same user.