Ex-tennis player slammed to the ground by the NYPD

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Retired black tennis star James Blake, in an NYPD double-fault, was slammed to a Manhattan sidewalk and handcuffed by a white cop in a brutal case of mistaken identity.

The 35-year-old Blake, once ranked No. 4 in the world, suffered a cut to his left elbow and bruises to his left leg as five cops eventually held him for 15 minutes Wednesday outside the Grand Hyatt Hotel.

“It was definitely scary and definitely crazy,” Blake told the Daily News. “In my mind there’s probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there’s no reason for anybody to do that to anybody.”

Blake said none of the white cops identified themselves, including the officer who charged straight at the Harvard-educated athlete and bounced him off the E. 42nd St. concrete around noon.

FORMER TENNIS PLAYER JAMES BLAKE TO RUN NYC MARATHON

“Don’t say a word,” snapped the officer, who Blake said was not wearing a badge.

Blake — whose right eye appeared red hours later at the Midtown hotel — was only turned loose when a former cop recognized the man in cuffs and alerted the arresting officers, a police source said.

“That is James Blake, the tennis player,” the NYPD retiree told them.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

The first cop involved never apologized to Blake for the physical thumping or the subsequent cuffing, the ex-player recounted.

Blake was only in cuffs for a minute after he was misidentified by a witness during a credit card fraud investigation, police said.

Blake, who was making a corporate appearance for Time-Warner Cable at the U.S. Open, was waiting for a car ride to the Queens tennis center after an interview with a magazine writer.

As he started texting on his phone, Blake looked up and saw someone in shorts and a T-shirt racing at him.

“Maybe I’m naïve, but I just assumed it was someone I went to high school with or someone who was running at me to give me a big hug, so I smiled at the guy,” Blake said.

CELEBS SHOW TO WITNESS SERENA WILLIAMS OUST SISTER VENUS AT U.S. OPEN

He was adamant that the officer never said a word: “No, just rushed me.”

The unidentified officer picked Blake up, threw the 6-foot-1 player down on the sidewalk and commanded him to roll over facedown.

“I’m going to do whatever you say,” Blake recalled telling the cop. “I’m going to cooperate. But do you mind if I ask what this is all about?”

One officer replied: “We’ll tell you. You are in safe hands.”

Blake said, “I didn’t feel very safe.”

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said Wednesday night he had directed internal affairs to open an investigation.

“The nature of what he described is not what we do, not what we’re supposed to do,” Bratton said on NY1. “I will not tolerate any type of excessive use of force on the part of my police, but as always, we have that saying, the first story is never the last story.”

A man who was standing near Blake was arrested in connection with the scam, police said.

DEFENDING U.S. OPEN CHAMP MARIN CILIC OUTLASTS JO-WILFRIED TSONGA TO REACH SEMIFINALS

Once he was told about his misidentification as one of the bad guys, Blake told the police to check his license — in his front left pocket — and his Open credential, in his back pocket.

The NYPD was trying to locate surveillance video, and Blake said he was hopeful it did.

The tennis great said he would like an apology from the department, and he wants to hear there will be repercussions for the officers involved.

“I have resources to get to the bottom of this. I have a voice,” Blake said. “But what about someone who doesn't have those resources and doesn’t have a voice?”

LINK

So basically a NYPD officer (who was plainclothes btw) body-slammed a black tennis star in the middle of the day without any warning in a case of mistaken identity and never apologized. Imagine if he resisted or somebody else resisted, then probably shots fired. Seriously, what was the officer thinking?

I can't tell, is the NYPD stupid, racist, or both?

Hood_Honky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hood_Honky
Member since 2015 • 979 Posts

So basically we are throwing color in here for no reason other than to flame the race war......

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

He was misidentified, race was not a factor.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Star is a stretch, he never even reached a Major Finals in his career. Regardless, like he said, he has the means to take this all the way and he should. Police power needs to be checked.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drunk_PI

@hood_honky said:

So basically we are throwing color in here for no reason other than to flame the race war......

No, just throwing facts. A white cop did indeed attempt to arrest the wrong person based on his color and nothing else.

@RicanV said:

He was misidentified, race was not a factor.

There are many black people in New York, the officer seriously couldn't ask for ID in the first place? Why tackle someone in the first place without any warning which could have risked the officer's life?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Live

@drunk_pi said:
@hood_honky said:

No, just throwing facts. A white cop did indeed attempt to arrest the wrong person based on his color and nothing else.

But how do you know that? Where do you get that from reading the story? How do you know on which information did the officer made the arrest? Not saying that wasn't the case, I just don't see the evidence for that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Live

You know who could've helped to provide some insight to this story?

Aircommie.

Unless Aircommie was the arresting officer in this story...

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI

@hood_honky said:

@drunk_pi: you my friend are the problem with today. He didn't get tackled because of his color. That is your own ignorant assumption based on nothing.

Fact is, the color of the people are irrelevant here. But because people like you get excited over the race, they throw it in there to make it seem like something totally different and evil. They dangled a worm and you took it.

Nope, just posting a story of an officer bodyslamming an innocent man in the middle of the day without any warning or justification. But throw race in it, it does make you wonder. Why didn't the officer present himself and ask the "suspect" for ID? What made the officer suspect the black man in the first place? Do all black people look alike because I've seen a lot of black people and they don't look alike at all.

The officer didn't present himself, didn't ask for ID, and if it's not embarrassing already, another officer recognized the celebrity as an ex-tennis star. Considering that racial profiling is a serious issue in this country, especially by the police, it's not really a worm but more of an elephant in the room that everyone ignores. Also, I suggest you visit the website "Theerant." it's a forum for police officers (specifically the NYPD) and they have a lot of racist things to say.

And no, before you accuse me of it, I don't hate the police. I support my local sheriff's department but think police officers around the country should be held accountable for their actions. Are all officers racist? No, but they shouldn't tolerate the ones that are.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

It's just mistaken identity.

what I don't get though, if you think it's a guy guilty of credit card fraud, do you need to body slam him?

I don't think it has to do with race if it was a black cop there would be no problem, the cop just so happened to be white.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

So he threw EVERY black person down?

Because if he didn't the fact is you're lying.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Whats with the robot voice ? Why is this on the under ?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56018 Posts

@Motokid6 said:
@hood_honky said:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

And if the report had been about a spree shooting cannibal child molesting serial killer I would be the one that matched the description and they may have jumped on me.

What's the problem?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@hood_honky: That is a gross overgeneralization and I would appreciate if you gave more regard to the details.

Fact check:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Crime_rate_statistics

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@hood_honky said:

@drunk_pi: you my friend are the problem with today. He didn't get tackled because of his color. That is your own ignorant assumption based on nothing.

Fact is, the color of the people are irrelevant here. But because people like you get excited over the race, they throw it in there to make it seem like something totally different and evil. They dangled a worm and you took it.

Nope, just posting a story of an officer bodyslamming an innocent man in the middle of the day without any warning or justification. But throw race in it, it does make you wonder. Why didn't the officer present himself and ask the "suspect" for ID? What made the officer suspect the black man in the first place? Do all black people look alike because I've seen a lot of black people and they don't look alike at all.

The officer didn't present himself, didn't ask for ID, and if it's not embarrassing already, another officer recognized the celebrity as an ex-tennis star. Considering that racial profiling is a serious issue in this country, especially by the police, it's not really a worm but more of an elephant in the room that everyone ignores. Also, I suggest you visit the website "Theerant." it's a forum for police officers (specifically the NYPD) and they have a lot of racist things to say.

And no, before you accuse me of it, I don't hate the police. I support my local sheriff's department but think police officers around the country should be held accountable for their actions. Are all officers racist? No, but they shouldn't tolerate the ones that are.

"Blake was only in cuffs for a minute after he was misidentified by a witness during a credit card fraud investigation, police said."

It sounds like the officers suspected him because a witness said that he's the criminal. Whether they had grounds to tackle him to the ground like that is another matter, but don't blame the police officers for thinking he's the suspect in the first place. He was identified by a witness. If anyone thinks that all black people look alike, then it's the witness who thinks that.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

At least 2 of the 3 reporters that wrote up that story are living with white guilt.

I agree with the other poster, they made it ALL about race in the first line of that report..."white cop...black tennis star".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@drunk_pi: what a load of bs, they should get sued

Hood_Honky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hood_Honky

@BranKetra: really? because what you linked backed it up. 50.2% of homicide nearly 50 for for youth crime.

Idk what you are trying to prove there?

Hood_Honky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hood_Honky

@hood_honky: I made a mistake in my original post actually, should've been Violent crime.

Blacks make up 28.3% of ALL crime.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43#disablemobile

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Let's take a minute to thank the media for starting a race war.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@magicalclick: I do not. I am not a bigot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44535 Posts

probably wouldn't have gone down like that if he weren't black

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

Just another neanderthal american cop thinking he is rambo or some shit.

No not all cops are bad but alot are bad, very bad.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not about race, but some really stupid cops. They need to do refresher training on just about every procedure they have and overhaul those that seem outdated. In the meantime, the NYPD should have been fined and James compensated.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drunk_PI

@magicalclick said:

@drunk_pi:

It is race because the race tends to have high crime rate.

It is the same with middle east people. Tell me you don't think they are terrorist when you see one walking around the no-more-WTC ground. And tell me you don't think Japanese are spies right after Pearl Harbor. Or tell me you don't think Italian is Mafia looking back in the days. Or tell me you see a Mexican cook and don't have slight thought that they are illegal immigrants.

It is race. And it is not wrong to stereotype. It is perfectly natural. This is why I pray China don't go to war with USA, because I will get dragged into it even though I am Taiwanese and not Chinese. And I won't blame Americans giving me bad treatment because that's how world works. I can't change it and I am part of it. The world is never fair. All I can do is to accept it and living on.

If the race drops its crime rate as low as other race. The stereotype will be reverted. It will just become silly to follow the old stereotype when the new stereotype invalidated it. Sure it is sloppy cop, but, the high crime rate is making it worse.

Yes we all stereotype, it's in our nature. However, what you're thinking is borderline stupid. The crime rate has been decreasing throughout the nation and while blacks are arrested at higher rates, it's mostly in poor and disadvantaged areas where crime is and can be rampant (it's a cycle of poverty and crime) but so can police abuse which has happened many times and yes, even to white people. However, the stereotype won't disappear and has been prevalent no matter what. People think Islamic terrorists are a threat to the United States despite evidence stating that you're more likely to witness a right wing terrorist act.

Also, here's a history lesson for you. Back in WW1, the Turks were accusing Armenians of having Russian sympathies and even though a select few were actively fighting to be with Russia due to Turkish human rights violations of Armenians, guess what happened? Genocide. And the Turks still sometimes justify it but reject the term "genocide" despite all the evidence. But that's not always the case. You also have internment of Japanese citizens and possession of their property. It's easy what I just described but not for the victims who were mostly innocent. They lost their livelihood just for being whatever despite being citizens of their own country.

If you can "deal" with that kind of abuse, you're delusional. You're a citizen of the United States and nothing more or less. Don't anyone take that away from you otherwise what I stated can happen to you or anyone else in another country. Also, a war between US and China will never happen, and I'm pretty sure most Americans know that Taiwan is our ally and friend.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i really wish i understood what the end game for the media is here.

why highlight some incidents but bury the deaths of people like dillian harris and jamyla bolden?

why highlight the race when they are white but use code words like "group of youths" for other criminal behavior?

why is it so clearly implied as racism when a cop is involved but as soon as "teens" target people and stomp on some skulls it is reported as "for no apparent reason"?

there was a mob beating at the univesity of michgan last week and the local media that covered it has given themselves a rash scratching their collective heads in confusion over what this could possible be.

golly! what could it possibly be? after all, nothing was stolen, gee willikers, guess we will never know what it was but hey, look assertive, that will super help.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/09/04/12-people-sought-in-shocking-attack-on-university-of-michigan-students/

Hood_Honky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hood_Honky

@Riverwolf007: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/20/jamyla-bolden-shot-dead-in-ferguson/

It is pretty disgusting, black lives only,matter when a white man takes it. Lets ignore all the black on black.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@drunk_pi:

It is race because the race tends to have high crime rate.

It is the same with middle east people. Tell me you don't think they are terrorist when you see one walking around the no-more-WTC ground. And tell me you don't think Japanese are spies right after Pearl Harbor. Or tell me you don't think Italian is Mafia looking back in the days. Or tell me you see a Mexican cook and don't have slight thought that they are illegal immigrants.

It is race. And it is not wrong to stereotype. It is perfectly natural. This is why I pray China don't go to war with USA, because I will get dragged into it even though I am Taiwanese and not Chinese. And I won't blame Americans giving me bad treatment because that's how world works. I can't change it and I am part of it. The world is never fair. All I can do is to accept it and living on.

If the race drops its crime rate as low as other race. The stereotype will be reverted. It will just become silly to follow the old stereotype when the new stereotype invalidated it. Sure it is sloppy cop, but, the high crime rate is making it worse.

Yeah I get very uncomfortable when I see a white guy walking into a school, church, or movie theatre.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@hood_honky said:

Can't even read your own goddamned article.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56018 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@drunk_pi said:
@hood_honky said:

Can't even read your own goddamned article.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

Ah yes OT where one makes assumptions with or without a basis to fit one's view and then runs with it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox

"...including the officer who charged straight at the Harvard-educated athlete..."

Because an expensive education prevents people from being violent criminals.

The bullshit the media stirs up these days makes me physically angry.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

"...including the officer who charged straight at the Harvard-educated athlete..."

So this makes the cop in the right?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@-God- said:
@foxhound_fox said:

So this makes the cop in the right?

Where did I say that?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Drunk_PI

@magicalclick said:

@drunk_pi:

1) decrease in crime rate does not mean crime rate is as low as other race. The riots have reaffirmed the stereotype time and time again that the race is store robbing loving group. Just compare store robbery, home stealing rates per race within their population.

Here's a wiki on a list of riots: LINK Looking at it, it's a mix with mostly college students rioting for dumb reasons whereas if a cop abuses his authority and gets away with it, all the black people riot and suddenly it's a reflection on their race. But please, continue how it continues that stereotype. Also, here's an FBI chart on all the races and all the crime. Notice it's a mix. Yes, blacks do commit more robberies but whites commit the most rapes. The stereotype of blacks committing the most crime is false and misleading. This isn't to excuse the rioting in Baltimore or Ferguson but understand that black people aren't the only ones that riot and that the criminal stereotype is very misleading.

2) just few terrorists performing 911 can have huge impact on stereotypes. That is how it is. Saying people shouldn't stereotypes is unreasonable. The 911 stereotype has died down because those terrorist looking people just take the blame and take it like a mature adult. The stereotype has died down because the repeated offense is rare. As long as the race continue to reaffirm the stereotype, the stereotype will stay there.

Unfortunately the stereotype is still prevalent. Check out any of the right wing pages on Facebook or here on wiki for a list of islamaphobic incidents. The stereotype hasn't died down nor will it.

3) stereotypes is based on experiences. When I was in Taiwan, the stereotype on "Black" is, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Will Smith, Tiger Woods. It is not because Taiwanese are more open minded. In fact, they discriminate toward to the Chinese that came to island few generations later. The reason the stereotype isn't about store robberies, mugged on the street, or breaking & entering is because there is no experience associated with it. However, there are plenty of that experiences in USA.

I'm not denying that stereotyping is natural, the issue is when you're not open minded enough to know that stereotypes aren't always true. There are Asians that are bad in math, blacks that aren't athletic, and Jews that eat bacon. The issue is when the stereotype is taken too far which has happened in this situation. Instead of the Officer confirming if the suspect was the actual suspect, he bumrushed him. It's unprofessional and idiotic, and yes, I maintain that it was racist. If the suspect was white, it wouldn't have happened.

And another thing, the media tends to perpetrate the stereotype no matter how misleading or derogatory it is.

4) yes Taiwan is USA ally. And that means crap if China starts a war against USA and killed your families in the process. Have several terrorist attacks in USA that killed the people you love. Just simply because the conflict between China and Taiwan going out of control? And you tell me you don't feel the pain and stereotypes when you see me looking exactly just like the Chinese that killed your family? That's is naive. Even if you are so naive, others don't. You can tell other to stop giving shit to me when that happens. But, if I retaliate in any way (peacefully), it would only make matter worse. The only action for me is, indeed take the shit and let the history die down through time. That's just the way it is.

The problem with this whole race thing is. I believe I can only encourage and beg for not inflicting stereotypes toward me. But to demand fairness from others is unrealistic. If I want the stereotype to revert, I would tell my own race to stop all the shits, so I don't have to live in the stereotypes that they have kept alive.

When the jackbooted thugs come knocking on your door to take you away, would you really think the same way? It's naive to think it's okay for others to stereotype you and take advantage of you or anyone for that fact. And when you're yelling at others to stop all the shits, they'll yell back and tell you that they aren't doing anything because most of the times, they're not.

Don't demand fairness. Demand respect. Most of the times, racists are assholes who will take to extremes if they had the chance.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
@magicalclick said:

@drunk_pi:

1) decrease in crime rate does not mean crime rate is as low as other race. The riots have reaffirmed the stereotype time and time again that the race is store robbing loving group. Just compare store robbery, home stealing rates per race within their population.

@hood_honky said:

@drunk_pi:

About profiling (which this case isn't)You really can't blame cops for approaching blacks with caution tho, they are 13% of the population and responsible for 50% of the crime. That's a pretty good chance of being a criminal

You guys just can't help yourselves, can ya? Now as go to the staff with this, hopefully the thread stays this while you two are the ones who get kicked.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

@thebest31406: Come on dude. I saw your thread in ATM. Can't we all just get along.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thebest31406

@LJS9502_basic said:

@thebest31406: Come on dude. I saw your thread in ATM. Can't we all just get along.

Apparently, not.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thebest31406

@magicalclick said:

@thebest31406:

So.... Am I supposed to feel very scared because you somehow bring up staff and locked and kick simply because I am explaining that stereotypes exists?

Yes... I am currently feeling very afraid because I do not know how staff would react to opinions that isn't the same as you.

Be afraid or don't; I'm not bothered either way. I wouldn't fear it, personally; there are far worst things out there than getting modded.

FYI; members of the staff were far more outraged by your comments in the previous thread then even I (at least, that's the impression they gave). "Hate filled" was the term they used.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Master_Live

thebest31406 is always looking to get people modded or banned.