Everything happens for a reason do you believe that?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I always hear that saying everything happens for a reason but I don't buy it. I feel people say that only when something good happens in their lives it's their way of making sense of it. I find it ridiculous lets say somebody you love died in a horrible accident could you imagine someone telling you everything happens for a reason? I can't it's the most stupidest shit I've ever heard. I just hate when people say that what do you think?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

No. It's a coping mechanism.

Some lives are shit till their last breath. No good reason there.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Yeah I do, nothing "Happens for a reason" . Depending on the situation it's either the butterfly effect or your own choices.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

No, definitely not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

"Everything happens for a reason" is what people tell themselves because they can't accept that most things happen for no reason or, worse, for petty reasons.

But the "reason" people refer to when saying this drivel is in relation to some grand cosmic scheme, and that's nonsense. None of us are important enough to factor into such a thing, if it even existed in the first place.

Some people find it comforting to think there is a plan for us all, but I personally find it terrifying. The fact that I could live my life as a I see fit in a way that brings me happiness only to have it altered for some "reason" other than my own? Creepy.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Don't believe it, and don't hear that often, TBH.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

of course everything happens for a reason. it's dumb to think otherwise.

i was late to work today because i hit snooze on my alarm. how could i say i was late to work today for no reason at all? that makes no sense.

they might be stupid reasons.. but they're still reasons.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#11 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I think the saying ought to be, or rather what people want to express is: Everything happens for a 'future reason'. For example, your car broke down, but you met the love of your life walking home.

I don't think that's true at all.

Everything happens for a reason, however, seems true. The car broke down because it was old. You hadn't serviced it recently, etc.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

It's a throw-away phrase - meaningless.

Do your best to change the things you can, and have the courage to accept the things you cannot change.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8761 Posts

Well, maybe not all the time.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

In the cause and effect sense, sure. In that sense, everything happens for a reason, it's just that the reason already happened. Like I'm writing this post because it was interesting enough to warrant a response, nothing may come of my response, but the reason I'm writing it was because you posted an interesting topic.

In terms of everything happening so that something good can come of it or that a lesson can be learned like the entire world is a fortune cookie or everything is going according a cosmic being's plan? No, not so much.......and if it is then God's got a lot of explaining to do frankly.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
@Serraph105 said:

In the cause and effect sense, sure. In that sense, everything happens for a reason, it's just that the reason already happened. Like I'm writing this post because it was interesting enough to warrant a response, nothing may come of my response, but the reason I'm writing it was because you posted an interesting topic.

In terms of everything happening so that something good can come of it or that a lesson can be learned like the entire world is a fortune cookie or everything is going according a cosmic being's plan? No, not so much.......and if it is then God's got a lot of explaining to do frankly.

or god is just a total asshole

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@Serraph105 said:

or god is just a total asshole

That would explain a ton.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I believe in cause and effect but I don't believe there's some sort of metaphysical purpose to events.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#18 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Only in the literal sense. I don't believe there is some divine reason for everything that happens or whatever. That would be really messed up if that was the case.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

No, we assign reason to everything that happens.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#20 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I don't believe everything has a reason. Sometimes s*** just happens. It's all in how you deal with it.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@comp_atkins: but you didnt know you were gonna be late until it happened. People of faith will say it was meant to happend. As if you waking up early would have still made you late

The argument is that everything isnt planned in life. it was not your written faith to be late but it was your fate only after it officially happened lol

It's just a tool made to make life feel more epic and to give motivation after a downfall. Like religion and other post life propaganda conveyors

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@Livecommander said:

@comp_atkins: but you didnt know you were gonna be late until it happened. People of faith will say it was meant to happend. As if you waking up early would have still made you late

The argument is that everything isnt planned in life. it was not your written faith to be late but it was your fate only after it officially happened lol

It's just a tool made to make life feel more epic and to give motivation after a downfall. Like religion and other post life propaganda conveyors

That's a really broad generalization.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

Things just happen, we apply the reason to it after the fact. Bad things can lead to good things, but there was no intent for that to be the case.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 comp_atkins
@Livecommander said:

reason != purpose.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@comp_atkins: yea reason equals literal purpose

Not the figurative up lifting your church tells you.

If I cut my arm today its because I did something that got my arm cut

Not some biblical " you were meant to work via handicap to show strength while believing the lord" preachings

It's good practice. Like Santa claus is good practice for kids

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

Yes and I believe it.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Everything happens for a reason. You cannot do a lot of things without reasons behind those things. At least this saying usually makes anyone feel better imo.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@warmblurLife is what you make of it. Yeah, bad things happen but so do good things. If you want to be a cold, unfeeling dick about every unjust event that happens to you go for it, but you can also learn from what has transpired from the past and learn from it. It's not like you can alter events as they happen anyway. We grow most from the trials we have been through.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@FFCYAN said:

@warmblurLife is what you make of it. Yeah, bad things happen but so do good things. If you want to be a cold, unfeeling dick about every unjust event that happens to you go for it, but you can also learn from what has transpired from the past and learn from it. It's not like you can alter events as they happen anyway. We grow most from the trials we have been through.

To a extent, cold unfeeling dick? not quite I'm more of a sarcastic pessimist and it's not just about me it's more of a general statement of life.