Everything happens for a reason do you believe that?

Avatar image for warmblur
#1 Edited by warmblur (2979 posts) -

I always hear that saying everything happens for a reason but I don't buy it. I feel people say that only when something good happens in their lives it's their way of making sense of it. I find it ridiculous lets say somebody you love died in a horrible accident could you imagine someone telling you everything happens for a reason? I can't it's the most stupidest shit I've ever heard. I just hate when people say that what do you think?

Avatar image for Gaming-Planet
#2 Posted by Gaming-Planet (20032 posts) -

No. It's a coping mechanism.

Some lives are shit till their last breath. No good reason there.

Avatar image for npiet1
#3 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

Yeah I do, nothing "Happens for a reason" . Depending on the situation it's either the butterfly effect or your own choices.

Avatar image for livingdeadman
#4 Posted by livingdeadman (368 posts) -

I believe the choices you make now will matter in the future. Even choosing what meal to buy at a restaurant.

Avatar image for speeny
#5 Edited by Speeny (1958 posts) -

No, definitely not.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#6 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

"Everything happens for a reason" is what people tell themselves because they can't accept that most things happen for no reason or, worse, for petty reasons.

But the "reason" people refer to when saying this drivel is in relation to some grand cosmic scheme, and that's nonsense. None of us are important enough to factor into such a thing, if it even existed in the first place.

Some people find it comforting to think there is a plan for us all, but I personally find it terrifying. The fact that I could live my life as a I see fit in a way that brings me happiness only to have it altered for some "reason" other than my own? Creepy.

Avatar image for livingdeadman
#7 Edited by livingdeadman (368 posts) -

Just try to balance a good and bad nature, and nothing severely punishing should happen to you. Naturally we are bad so we have to try to be good. So don't cuss so much, try not to eat land animals, especially don't litter, don't cut people off in traffic (always use your signal). Don't get rid of your animalistic behavior but try to balance it out and be tamed and domesticated too.

Avatar image for livingdeadman
#8 Edited by livingdeadman (368 posts) -

@livingdeadman: The reason why choosing what meal matters is because energy & motion is being created for the chefs to bring the ingredients to the table, which affects your life. Which affects your body processing food and what time of the day to use the bathroom which effects your daily life. Maybe you used the bathroom and you missed a scene on a TV show or Movie, which now effects what you heard and learned for that day and effects your dreams, which affects your waking life. So many possibilities and branches of paths to take.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#9 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

Don't believe it, and don't hear that often, TBH.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#10 Edited by comp_atkins (35846 posts) -

of course everything happens for a reason. it's dumb to think otherwise.

i was late to work today because i hit snooze on my alarm. how could i say i was late to work today for no reason at all? that makes no sense.

they might be stupid reasons.. but they're still reasons.

Avatar image for SolidSnake35
#11 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58923 posts) -

I think the saying ought to be, or rather what people want to express is: Everything happens for a 'future reason'. For example, your car broke down, but you met the love of your life walking home.

I don't think that's true at all.

Everything happens for a reason, however, seems true. The car broke down because it was old. You hadn't serviced it recently, etc.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#12 Posted by pyro1245 (5238 posts) -

It's a throw-away phrase - meaningless.

Do your best to change the things you can, and have the courage to accept the things you cannot change.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
#13 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4976 posts) -

Well, maybe not all the time.

Avatar image for Serraph105
#14 Posted by Serraph105 (34039 posts) -

In the cause and effect sense, sure. In that sense, everything happens for a reason, it's just that the reason already happened. Like I'm writing this post because it was interesting enough to warrant a response, nothing may come of my response, but the reason I'm writing it was because you posted an interesting topic.

In terms of everything happening so that something good can come of it or that a lesson can be learned like the entire world is a fortune cookie or everything is going according a cosmic being's plan? No, not so much.......and if it is then God's got a lot of explaining to do frankly.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#15 Posted by comp_atkins (35846 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

In the cause and effect sense, sure. In that sense, everything happens for a reason, it's just that the reason already happened. Like I'm writing this post because it was interesting enough to warrant a response, nothing may come of my response, but the reason I'm writing it was because you posted an interesting topic.

In terms of everything happening so that something good can come of it or that a lesson can be learned like the entire world is a fortune cookie or everything is going according a cosmic being's plan? No, not so much.......and if it is then God's got a lot of explaining to do frankly.

or god is just a total asshole

Avatar image for Serraph105
#16 Posted by Serraph105 (34039 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:
@Serraph105 said:

In the cause and effect sense, sure. In that sense, everything happens for a reason, it's just that the reason already happened. Like I'm writing this post because it was interesting enough to warrant a response, nothing may come of my response, but the reason I'm writing it was because you posted an interesting topic.

In terms of everything happening so that something good can come of it or that a lesson can be learned like the entire world is a fortune cookie or everything is going according a cosmic being's plan? No, not so much.......and if it is then God's got a lot of explaining to do frankly.

or god is just a total asshole

That would explain a ton.

Avatar image for vagrantsnow
#17 Posted by VagrantSnow (376 posts) -

I believe in cause and effect but I don't believe there's some sort of metaphysical purpose to events.

Avatar image for SoNin360
#18 Posted by SoNin360 (7104 posts) -

Only in the literal sense. I don't believe there is some divine reason for everything that happens or whatever. That would be really messed up if that was the case.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#19 Posted by MirkoS77 (14460 posts) -

No, we assign reason to everything that happens.

Avatar image for Amnesiac23
#20 Posted by Amnesiac23 (8470 posts) -

I don't believe everything has a reason. Sometimes s*** just happens. It's all in how you deal with it.

Avatar image for Livecommander
#21 Posted by Livecommander (1094 posts) -

@comp_atkins: but you didnt know you were gonna be late until it happened. People of faith will say it was meant to happend. As if you waking up early would have still made you late

The argument is that everything isnt planned in life. it was not your written faith to be late but it was your fate only after it officially happened lol

It's just a tool made to make life feel more epic and to give motivation after a downfall. Like religion and other post life propaganda conveyors

Avatar image for shellcase86
#22 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

@Livecommander said:

@comp_atkins: but you didnt know you were gonna be late until it happened. People of faith will say it was meant to happend. As if you waking up early would have still made you late

The argument is that everything isnt planned in life. it was not your written faith to be late but it was your fate only after it officially happened lol

It's just a tool made to make life feel more epic and to give motivation after a downfall. Like religion and other post life propaganda conveyors

That's a really broad generalization.

Avatar image for judaspete
#23 Posted by judaspete (3127 posts) -

Things just happen, we apply the reason to it after the fact. Bad things can lead to good things, but there was no intent for that to be the case.

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#24 Posted by comp_atkins (35846 posts) -
@Livecommander said:

@comp_atkins: but you didnt know you were gonna be late until it happened. People of faith will say it was meant to happend. As if you waking up early would have still made you late

The argument is that everything isnt planned in life. it was not your written faith to be late but it was your fate only after it officially happened lol

It's just a tool made to make life feel more epic and to give motivation after a downfall. Like religion and other post life propaganda conveyors

reason != purpose.

Avatar image for Livecommander
#25 Posted by Livecommander (1094 posts) -

@comp_atkins: yea reason equals literal purpose

Not the figurative up lifting your church tells you.

If I cut my arm today its because I did something that got my arm cut

Not some biblical " you were meant to work via handicap to show strength while believing the lord" preachings

It's good practice. Like Santa claus is good practice for kids

Avatar image for davillain-
#26 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Yes and I believe it.

Avatar image for rockfield
#27 Posted by RockField (482 posts) -

Everything happens for a reason. You cannot do a lot of things without reasons behind those things. At least this saying usually makes anyone feel better imo.

Avatar image for alexfreeze
#28 Posted by Alexfreeze (24 posts) -

the things, the way, anything you are choosing now will leads you to your future. i think its true that everything happens for a reason.

Avatar image for FFCYAN
#29 Posted by FFCYAN (4969 posts) -

@warmblurLife is what you make of it. Yeah, bad things happen but so do good things. If you want to be a cold, unfeeling dick about every unjust event that happens to you go for it, but you can also learn from what has transpired from the past and learn from it. It's not like you can alter events as they happen anyway. We grow most from the trials we have been through.

Avatar image for warmblur
#30 Edited by warmblur (2979 posts) -

@FFCYAN said:

@warmblurLife is what you make of it. Yeah, bad things happen but so do good things. If you want to be a cold, unfeeling dick about every unjust event that happens to you go for it, but you can also learn from what has transpired from the past and learn from it. It's not like you can alter events as they happen anyway. We grow most from the trials we have been through.

To a extent, cold unfeeling dick? not quite I'm more of a sarcastic pessimist and it's not just about me it's more of a general statement of life.