European Union wins Nobel Peace Prize

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30074 posts) -

The Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded its 2012 peace prize on Friday to the 27-nation European Union, lauding its role over six decades in building peace and reconciliation among enemies who fought Europes bloodiest wars, even as the Continent wrestles with economic strife that threatens its cohesion and future.

The award also seemed to illuminate competing visions of Europe as both historical unifier and meddlesome overlord, recalling deep strains within the bloc, primarily between Germany and other European nations over Berlins insistence on austerity to resolve the euro crisis, measures that have brought pain to Greece and Spain in particular.

Thorbjorn Jagland, the former Norwegian prime minister who is chairman of the panel awarding the prize, said there had been deep concern about Europes destiny as it faces the debt-driven woes that have placed the future of the single currency in jeopardy.

There is a great danger, he said in an interview in Oslo. We see already now an increase of extremism and nationalistic attitudes. There is a real danger that Europe will start disintegrating. Therefore, we should focus again on the fundamental aims of the organization.

Asked if the euro currency would survive, he replied: That I dont know. What I know is that if the euro fails, then the danger is that many other things will disintegrate as well, like the internal market and free borders. Then you will get nationalistic policies again. So it may set in motion a process which most Europeans would dislike.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/world/nobel-peace-prize.html

inb4 armchair intellectuals "da nobel peace prize is a joke because *insert disagreement over past award here* herpderp"

#2 Posted by dave123321 (35333 posts) -
Like a newsfeed
#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162211 posts) -
So everyone has to believe in the validity of awards are be deemed armchair intellectuals? I think it's more dangerous to believe publicity but whatever. Enjoy.
#4 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30074 posts) -

So everyone has to believe in the validity of awards are be deemed armchair intellectuals? I think it's more dangerous to believe publicity but whatever. Enjoy.LJS9502_basic
No I just think it's ridiculous that someone writes off the whole Nobel committee because they disagreed with an award.

#5 Posted by theone86 (20819 posts) -

And they say President Obama's Peace Prize was ridiculous.

#6 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162211 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So everyone has to believe in the validity of awards are be deemed armchair intellectuals? I think it's more dangerous to believe publicity but whatever. Enjoy.Aljosa23

No I just think it's ridiculous that someone writes off the whole Nobel committee because they disagreed with an award.

Oh I see. Well is it okay to write off rewards of any kind because of the politics involved?
#7 Posted by Omni-Slash (54450 posts) -

theone86
rarely do I agree with you.....but yup.....
#8 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -
This sounds like something Time Magazine would do
#9 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -

I'm sure the EU wants this as badly as Obama wanted his.

I think it's safe to say this is everyone's reaction.

#10 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30074 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So everyone has to believe in the validity of awards are be deemed armchair intellectuals? I think it's more dangerous to believe publicity but whatever. Enjoy.LJS9502_basic

Oh I see. Well is it okay to write off rewards of any kind because of the politics involved?

Well for that particular award then sure. I'm talking more about the whole committee. Like when someone disagrees with the Peace prize that it somehow invalidates the other awards like Chemistry and Physics even if those are way more interesting.

#11 Posted by BossPerson (9177 posts) -

theone86
How exactly is this ridiculous? Other than the fact that no actual single person is receiving the award?
#12 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

"for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe"

Can't argue with that. Europe was a very unstable continent and the EU - and its older incarnations of course - brought a lot of good. Even outside its borders, the promise of EU membership brought stability and set goals for a better life.

#13 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

This sounds like something Time Magazine would doJML897
Hopefully next year the committee gives the peace prize to humanity.

#14 Posted by theone86 (20819 posts) -

[QUOTE="theone86"]

BossPerson

How exactly is this ridiculous? Other than the fact that no actual single person is receiving the award?

Because the EU has basically been one big attempt at pushing a narrow economic vision, and though they preach haughty ideals very rarely does it ever equate to anything substantive for the vast majority of its member states. That's not even counting the fact that there's skepticism from both sides of the spectrum that a unified currency/bloc like the EU could ever work out well due to competing interests, bucking economic functioning, etc.

#15 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

Aljosa23

That's a thing people do? Don't think I've ever heard of someone writing off the science awards because of the Peace or Liturature Prize or whatever (especially because if you're paying that much attention to the Peace Prize, you'd presumably know it's handed out by a completely different organization).

#16 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

I wonder how they'e disbursing the prize money. Maybe resident in the EU gets a cut?

#17 Posted by Oleg_Huzwog (21885 posts) -

This sounds like something Time Magazine would doJML897

#18 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -

I wonder how they'e disbursing the prize money. Maybe resident in the EU gets a cut?

worlock77
Give it to Spain and Greece maybe?
#19 Posted by CHOASXIII (14696 posts) -

Well this is quite interesting.

#20 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

Yeah, the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke now.

ArchbishopDesmond-Tutu-in-009.jpg

Yup, Archibishop Desmond Tutu should be screaming mad.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
#21 Posted by deactivated-598fc45371265 (13247 posts) -

Ah so Europe goes a few decades without fighting a major war between themselves and and thus everyone deserves presents. You so cute and special Europe!

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#22 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (3791 posts) -
Nice I'm a nobel peace prize winner.
#23 Posted by Omni-Slash (54450 posts) -
[QUOTE="theone86"]

BossPerson

Greece says hi....
#24 Posted by LordQuorthon (5706 posts) -

theone86

I'm gonna call it a tie.

#25 Posted by NightStalkerBX (2032 posts) -

I guess it's a slow year for peace.

#26 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Really? That's some nastystuff those guys at the Nobel prize are putting in their crack pipes.

#27 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

Lol how cute Europe giving a price to themselves and in Columbus Day! The day their genocidal imperialistic practices reached the new continent. Or maybe they got it because of this?

557256_4798102834972_1056295041_n.jpg