Escape From NY - PA and CT recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 merigoldsass
Member since 2011 • 575 Posts

I currently live Queens NY and work in Brooklyn NY. Have a job that I like and want to move out of state. I need to talk to my boss to see if he will let me take my work with me if I move and maybe only go in maybe 1 day a week (currently I only have to go in 3 days a week and the other 2 days I work at home, all I need for my job is a computer and a phone). I am 31 and single so I don't think moving to a new place will be too difficult/ awkward as it will not effect a partners life/ job.I would like some recommendations on good locations to move to in PA or CT, primarily I am looking to buy a decent size house with one or two car garage and a decent amount of land? Also what fees come with those areas (taxes, town fees, typical electric bill, what kind of heat is typically used in the area. how much that costs, etc.....

Below I will list reasons I want to leave New York this way I am not recommended a place that has these factors.

1) Recent tyrannical anti gun laws here in NY (7 bullet, etc...)
2) I am a law abiding citizen and have never been arrested and would like the right to be able to conceal carry a handgun and get a permit for that.
3) Renting in NYC , nearby areas and LI is insanely expensive, especially after a price inflation after Hurricane Sandy
4) A one bedroom small kind of crappy co-op typically costs around $155,000 or much more in Brooklyn, Queens, or Nassau. I know this because I have been looking for the past month at many different places. You basically need to spend closer $200,000 to get something in good condition in a nice building. According to trulia.com $155,000 or even closer to $100,000 will get you a very nice house in East Stroudsburg, PA (Poconos). I don't think I want to be in pure middle of nowhere , however having neighbors separated by a good amount of huge trees would be ideal (somewhat isolated). I am also open to any other more populated areas (suburbs) of PA or CT that have good starter homes/ decent sized for under 170,000 preferably below $150,000.
5) I have heard from my father who live in NJ that taxes are high in most parts and from briefly searching the NJ places like co-ops or condos in good areas are expensive, similar to NY. I also believe that they have many laws that severely infringe on our Constitutional rights as Americans.
6) If I ever have kids I do not want to be in an area that is know for massive school bus driver strikes (which has impacted the NYC area severely.
7) I would not mind an area that has hiking and bike trails as I am limited to that in Queens currently.
8) UPS delivery, Fed Ex delivery, and high speed internet are a necessity.

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

I know how you feel man, I'm looking to get out of this sh*thole within a few years. Til then I will be loading my magazine with ten rounds as a f*ck you to Cuomo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Pittsburgh is a fairly nice city in Pennsylvania. Very differnt from the east coast vibe of Philadelphia. Philly is probably similar to NYC in terms of its politics except it has a much crappier economy. The mayors in PHilly are atrociously bad.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Well if you have a problem with NY's anit-gun laws then you probably dont want to move to CT, since it is trying to push many extreme gun control laws after what happened at Sandy Hook. Fairfield is a pretty nice town for mid to high income owners with easy access to about 4-5 metro-north train stations.
merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 merigoldsass

I know how you feel man, I'm looking to get out of this sh*thole within a few years. Til then I will be loading my magazine with ten rounds as a f*ck you to Cuomo.

Ingenemployee

yes cuomo truly is a every word gamespot will not allow you to type combined into one sentence. Why wait a few years, just get out now.

merigoldsass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 merigoldsass

Pittsburgh is a fairly nice city in Pennsylvania. Very differnt from the east coast vibe of Philadelphia. Philly is probably similar to NYC in terms of its politics except it has a much crappier economy. The mayors in PHilly are atrociously bad.

sonicare

can you conceal carry in Pittsburgh?