Enough with the lone Batman. I want a good Bat-family movie.

#1 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -

Katherine Langford is rumored for the Batgirl movie.

https://cosmicbook.news/katherine-langford-batgirl

I don't really understand why we need a Batgirl movie. She had like three episodes focusing on just herself between all 109 episodes of The Animated Series and the New Batman Adventures. Why can't we just get another Batman ensemble movie? One that doesn't suck this time. Robert Pattinson as Batman, this Katherine Langford as Batgirl and someone as Robin. It will just be strange if Batman is absent in Batgirl's whole movie. She will just look like a copycat instead of an ally.

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

Arkham Knight pretty much is that. Deals with themes of abandonment, abuse, collateral damage, trust, symbolism, redemption and passing on a legacy.

Sure, you'll figure out who Arkham Knight is in about 20 seconds if you've even a passing interest in comics, but that's not the fucking point. Both the Joker and Bruce Wayne are effectively his father molding him into their image The climax of the story Bruce Wayne having faith he'll do the right thing.

The other characters, such as Barbara Gordon serve and Robin serve and act potentially as consequences, while Azrael and Knightwing are strongly indicated as his successor.

Unlike the other two (Origins was pretty good), the Joker is used perfectly. The relationship between the two has never been crystallized so well, and when you know the two actors have worked together for decades, it's all the more effective.

The ending, rather than a big boss battle, plays into the idea that the Joker is worried about his legacy disappearing, dying forgotten. While the Scarecrow is trying to prove by removing the cowl that he can dismantle Batmans legacy as a facade. By that point he's conquered his fear and consequently nobody gives a shit with the police still opting to refer to him as Batman while Crane is taken away.

The ending is left deliberately vague as to who takes up the responsibility. Which is exactly what it should have done.

The other games feel like a large empty city, whereas Arkham Knight feels far more lives in and fleshed out, and that's not even mentioning Lucius Fox, Hush or Jim Gordon. It's basically one of the best Batman movies that isn't a movie, held back by shitty drone fights and certain side content that is lackluster with no sense of conclusion.

Of these new movies, it's very much a "wait an see". I would have liked them to go ape-shit like Ninja Batman or Gotham by Gaslight in a totally families but alien setting, or something like The Dark Knight Returns, Beyond or Batman Annual #2 where he's effectively an old ass man having flashbacks, that's basically a romance story about old age.

Of the new movies Joker looks the most promising, since it has nothing to do with their terrible attempt at an expanded universe. although they are still keeping at it from what I can see. Suicide Squad and jay Leno's terrible incarnation still floating about.

But ye, Arkham Knight, really fucking good story-telling. Which I wasn't expecting given the lackluster ones of the previous games.

#3 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19737 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Then go watch the crappy Joe Schumacher Batman movies (Batman Forever and Batman & Robin)

#4 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ezekiel43: Then go watch the crappy Joe Schumacher Batman movies (Batman Forever and Batman & Robin)

"One that doesn't suck this time."

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

The fan cuts of Batman Forever make it alot better. Adds in removed content, removes a lot of the dumb shit.

Joel Schumacher gets a bad wrap, but people don't take into account he was basically ordered by the studio to make it kid friendly, up the camp and sell toys. Scenes vital to making the story make sense were straight up removed.

Tim Burton on the other hand, had far more freedom, with Returns complete freedom, he simply didn't give a shit and wanted to use it as a vehicle for a Tim Burton movie.

Suspect if Joel Schumacher got to make the darker movie he originally intended it would probably have been better received than Tim Burtons.

Avatar image for spiritofjustice
#6 Posted by SpiritOfJustice (11 posts) -

I would prefer that Hollywood stop wasting it's time on tired and recycled IP's and instead write something new.

#7 Posted by Ovirew (9081 posts) -

Bat Family? Well I can already think of somebody who'd be perfect for the role of wholesome bat family patriarch, and the lovable tyke!

#8 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Tim Burton on the other hand, had far more freedom, with Returns complete freedom, he simply didn't give a shit and wanted to use it as a vehicle for a Tim Burton movie.

Which is why I find Batman Returns more entertaining and visually interesting than Batman. I also appreciate all the kinkiness.

That Siouxsie and the Banshees song in that wonderful masquerade scene introduced me to the band. Listening to their albums today for the first time.

#9 Posted by Serraph105 (33853 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Personally, I laugh my ass off every time I see those movies. I even lost my ass once for a while, but luckily I found it where I left my car keys.

Anywho, there's a ton of entertainment to be had if you watch them as comedies. Same with the series from the 60s.

#10 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Jim Carry as The Riddler makes that film.

#11 Posted by Ovirew (9081 posts) -

@heirren said:

@uninspiredcup:

Jim Carry as The Riddler Seal makes that film.

#12 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@Ovirew:

Seal isnt in the film. Neither is his song.

#13 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@heirren:

Indeed, the actual soundtrack is pretty good. Not as good as Returns (which is amazing), but pretty good.

#14 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Loading Video...

#15 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Which is why I find Batman Returns more entertaining and visually interesting than Batman. I also appreciate all the kinkiness.

That Siouxsie and the Banshees song in that wonderful masquerade scene introduced me to the band. Listening to their albums today for the first time.

Batman Returns is visually astounding for sure, barring that dumb ass scene where the takes the mask off.

But I won't shit on the look of Forever, it was going for something different, and basically succeeds in looking like classic Batman comic come to life. I mean it looks a shit ton better than Batman V Superman, and I find The Dark Knight, visually quite bland.

The Dark Knight Rises has a few good scenes. I like the hard lighting when Batman fights Bane, but it looks like shit when they fight in broad daylight. It's like watching two cosplayers go at it.

Batman Begins looks great, The Narrows has atmosphere the main city lacks. And the (basically) natural beauty of the training scenes in the ice look good by default.

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@heirren: Ha, that's pretty much exactly what he's like in the Arkham games.

Loading Video...

He should never really be a "dark" or "violent" character imo. He's a egomaniac who thinks he's above everyone fixated on proving he's better. He'd probably just be some violent mutant weirdo in Tim Burtons movie, Nolan and Zack Synder would probably just turn him into the unibomber or something.

Two-Face is the one who sucks. He's basically a bad clone. Tommy Lee Jones is a legit good actor but his performance here is terrible.

#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166612 posts) -

I'd like a Bat family movie or better yet......gritty TV show.

#18 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -

The dumb hypocrisy of this is that they would never make a Robin movie. So why do we need a Batgirl movie? Because she's a woman? They're all partners. Either put them together or don't bother. Otherwise, it's just a movie about a copycat, a wannabe.

#19 Posted by Speeny (1774 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Yep, I prefer Batman Returns as well. Scared the hell out of me as a kid though.

#20 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

Of course it will now be a family movie, all the marvel films are. Its disney.

#21 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -
@heirren said:

Of course it will now be a family movie, all the marvel films are. Its disney.

Disney owns Marvel Studios, not DC Films.

#22 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@ezekiel43:

Ah. I dont pay much attention to the media. I thought Disney had it all by now and Spiderman and Batman were teaming up summer 2020.

#23 Posted by Ovirew (9081 posts) -

@heirren: Oh really? Dang. I only ever watched it like one or two times in my life, so I really didn't remember. Guess Batman Forever is worse now lol.

That U2 song was pretty awesome too. Now that I think about it most of the batman movies had at least one or two decent tracks. Batman & Robin had that one Smashing Pumpkins song. Oh yeah, it also had The Goo Goo Dolls' "Lazy Eye". Man it's too bad the movies were meh but at least the soundtracks had some good ones.

#24 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@Ovirew:

I dont remember any of that. Ive seen Tim Burtons a few times. Had the original on vhs. The rest thought it was just the one time in the theater save for maybe Batman Forever.

I dont really follow what comes out anymore, or pay attention to it. I couldnt tell yah if theyve produced 10 or 30 marvel films by now.

Jim Carry was a standout performance i think thats why i remember it.

#25 Posted by HEATHEN75 (730 posts) -

@heirren said:

@uninspiredcup:

Except for the fact that he was horrible and acted nothing like the Riddler. That entire movie was a steaming pile. There is nothing good about it.

#26 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@heathen75:

😭😭😭