Electrician - A Recession Proof Career?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Assassin_87 (2341 posts) -

What do you guys think? Originally, I wanted to get into Graphic Design or something like that, but with the economy in it's current state I'd rather stick with a necessary field of work and do what I want to do on the side.

So, what do you guys think? Is a career as an Electrician recession proof?

#2 Posted by LJSBasic (25 posts) -
yeah for the most part
#3 Posted by Wasdie (53592 posts) -

Electrician's are a pretty skilled work force. Usually you need a 2 year degree and some experiance. Really if doing electrician work intrests you, there is pretty good money in it. Especially today when new technologies are further reducing the good ol "do it yourself" stuff.

#4 Posted by Animal-Mother (27357 posts) -
[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

What do you guys think? Originally, I wanted to get into Graphic Design or something like that, but with the economy in it's current state I'd rather stick with a necessary field of work and do what I want to do on the side.

No, me and my dad own a contracting company no one is doing anything, even the rich foilk are holding back all their money either though they could spend it. I'd say a plumber is more recession proof, that and Nurses, Psychologists, and Lawyers
#5 Posted by spazzx625 (43433 posts) -
I don't think any job is recession proof...It may be more recession resistant, but it would include a lot more manual labor than a graphic designer.
#6 Posted by LJSBasic (25 posts) -
also a bif industry know are debt collectors and repo companies. its freakin booming
#8 Posted by LosDaddie (10318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

Animal-Mother

No, me and my dad own a contracting company no one is doing anything, even the rich foilk are holding back all their money either though they could spend it. I'd say a plumber is more recession proof, that and Nurses, Psychologists, and Lawyers

And that is the correct answer.

I'm a Project Engineer / Assistant Project Manager for a General Contractor and the construction industry is hurting right now. Most of our sub-contractors (electricians, plumbers, low voltage, mechanics,framers, site, etc) have laid off employess.

In short, no, Electricians aren't recession-proof at all.

#9 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -
Electricians aren't recession proof at all. Theres no work out there right now.
#10 Posted by ArmoredAshes (4025 posts) -

the only things truly recession proof are things in the mdical field....or you could be a repo person...haha

#11 Posted by DaBrainz (7959 posts) -

Absolutely not.When thehousing market is down, few new constructions =electricians have taken a hit just like any other subcontracted services. The only other option is to work maintenance at a large factory that has on site electrician, but manufacturing is in a slump also during recessions.

#12 Posted by Witchsight (12143 posts) -
Nono, the only thing recession proof is prostitution. Practice makes perfect!
#13 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12239 posts) -

Absolutely not.When thehousing market is down, few new constructions =electricians have taken a hit just like any other subcontracted services. The only other option is to work maintenance at a large factory that has on site electrician, but manufacturing is in a slump also during recessions.

DaBrainz
This ounds about right. Go into criminal law if you want a recession-proof career. The worse the economy the greater the crime.
#14 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

My father is an electrical contractor, which is an electrineer. I'm joking,I figure sinceElectrical + technician is electrician electrical + engineerwould be electrineer. :) He's also a mechanic. He's laid off.

Electrician is a a dangerous job. Not really because of the electricity, because of every other hazard involved. After he watched a co-worker and my uncle plumit to the pavement after an idiot driver hit the boom truck knocking them out of the bucket he quit working on the lines. My Uncle survived but with severe brain damage since he lost half of it when his head hit the street.I'm surewhen a person'sbrain exits their craniumand somone elsescoops it back in there it doesn't improve the functionality of theirbrain.

If you want to get into service work... the only way to make any good money would beto work for yourself. There's already too much competition. Plus home wiring is like carpentry, it's basic. My sisterdoes her electrical. SO the only placeto make a living is within the industries. And there your life is in the hands of every idiot you work with.

#15 Posted by shyskillz (4197 posts) -

although electricity is a must have for today's society... that particular field is saturated. i'm a certified electronic tech but haven't work in the field in years, but, that was my choice. still many electric professionals have odd opportunities to pull in some cash. i use to fix almost all of my neighbors tv's, radios, car sound systems, vcr, dvd players, some home appliances, install ceiling fans, outlets and service computers. somebody always haves something to be fix in residential areas. if you can understand and remember scientific notation, ohms law, kirchoff's law and a few other formulas... then you should have no problem finding work, especially in a big city.also put some A+ knowledge under the belt too. i can't remember how many times i madesome good money for just resodering a cold soder joint, replacing a fuse or failed resister or diode.

#16 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

Many professions are saturated. That's how it is. Technical schools tell everyone to come sign up to be a *Whatever*they are advertising. They just want money, they don't care, they don't tell the studentsthat about 60%-90% of the students will never find a good job If theyEVEN find a job. AND of course this all depends on how many students enroll.

From my experience with technical & vocation schools... they don't teach a persona damn thing. So if youdon't already know most of the material or have a good grasp of the materialthe school will bea complete waste of time and money. The only reason to attend is to go through the motions so you can get the degree simply to have a tawdry piece of paper from aninstitute that's less credible than yourself.

It's funny, a person could be completely incompetent but as long as they have that piece of paper they arepresumed proficent. When another must re-train someone what's the point of technical schools? Any experienced techniciancould just teach the newbseverything on the job. Afterall... when it comes totechnical and vocational trades it's all learned through on the job training anyway.

#17 Posted by DarkPrinceXC (5921 posts) -

Electricians aren't recession proof at all. Theres no work out there right now. Wilfred_Owen

Yes, there is work. People just need to get off their ass and LOOK around for a job, instead of using the CNN headlines as an excuse to live on unemployment.

#18 Posted by duxup (43443 posts) -

How would that be recession proof? Many of those jobs are based on construction...

#19 Posted by LosDaddie (10318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]Electricians aren't recession proof at all. Theres no work out there right now. DarkPrinceXC

Yes, there is work. People just need to get off their ass and LOOK around for a job, instead of using the CNN headlines as an excuse to live on unemployment.

Living off unemployment is awesome!

#20 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12239 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]Electricians aren't recession proof at all. Theres no work out there right now. DarkPrinceXC

It's more than just media hot air. Job availability is drying up everywhere, not just in the US.
#21 Posted by DarkPrinceXC (5921 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkPrinceXC"]

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]Electricians aren't recession proof at all. Theres no work out there right now. jimmyjammer69

It's more than just media hot air. Job availability is drying up everywhere, not just in the US.

Right, but to say "there is no work out there" is wrong.

#22 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -
Right, but to say "there is no work out there" is wrong.DarkPrinceXC
Just getting off your ass isn't going to get the company your working for a major contract. It might have been better to say that the electrical career field is dry right now as jimmyjammer69 stated. But work IS getting harder to find right now in that career field.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889
#23 Posted by 194197844077667059316682358889 (49173 posts) -
I don't think any job is recession proof...It may be more recession resistant, but it would include a lot more manual labor than a graphic designer.spazzx625
^ This
#24 Posted by dblake862 (25 posts) -
I don't think it's recession proof, but my uncle is a Houston, TX electrician and he always has work.
#25 Posted by kidsmelly (5692 posts) -

A plumber would be a better bet.

#26 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

Assassin_87

My dad is not only and electrician he's a contracor and he's out of work, been out of work.

#27 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

A plumber would be a better bet.

kidsmelly

If people don't have the money to pay for a plumber they learn by necessity. Besides plumbing isn't exactly difficult. Plumbing is part of most trades. Most technicians are plumbers no matter what their specialty is. It's a job that too many already have or are already qualified for.

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166326 posts) -
Not recession proof....when new contruction is down that hurts electricians as well. So it depends on the economy.
#29 Posted by Mythomniac (1695 posts) -
Yes, and being a plumber.
#30 Posted by aransom (7408 posts) -

If you want recession-proof, mortuary.

Electrician is not recession-proof at all. In bad times, people stop building.

#31 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

plumbers & electricianswould berecession proof IF they just simplygotpaid for being an electrician or aplumber, but unfortunatelyavalability of work depends on economics. If you don't work you don't get paid.

#32 Posted by xionvalkyrie (3444 posts) -

plumbers & electricianswould berecession proof IF they just simplygotpaid for being an electrician or aplumber, but unfortunatelyavalability of work depends on economics. If you don't work you don't get paid.

MagnumPI

Well, people's toilets always seem to get themselves stuck:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1851673,00.html

National average is about 40-70k a year. Master plumbers can make upwards of 100k a year. There's even one guy they talked to who made over $250k a year.

#33 Posted by bebop013 (4225 posts) -

Assassin_87

NO. i was doing plumbing recently (feb-aug) and the electricians at the site were dropping off like flies. their company was going under and they get laid-off CONSTANTLY and are in constant fear of it.

#34 Posted by MagnumPI (9617 posts) -

[QUOTE="MagnumPI"]

xionvalkyrie

Well, people's toilets always seem to get themselves stuck:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1851673,00.html

National average is about 40-70k a year. Master plumbers can make upwards of 100k a year. There's even one guy they talked to who made over $250k a year.

Do you think you would be the only plumber. Do you think there would be more plugged toliets than plumbers. Besides residential plumbing is a disgusting job. Plumbers often smell like sewage simply because it soaks into the skin. It takes days for the skin to flake off but they are in sewage everyday.

Industrial andcommercialplumbing are better and there are more positions. All you have to do isinstall new cleanpipe and duct, not clean nasty plumbing out.