Edward Snowden Recieves Award For Leak

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It would be different if Russia were giving an award to Snowden. What do you think about this?

Edward Snowden, the man responsible for leaking top-secret intelligence is actually being honored by four former U.S. officials.

They traveled to Moscow, where Snowden has been hiding since August to give him the Sam Adams Award for Integrity in Intelligence.

But Snowden is still wanted by the U.S. government.

Link

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

I think they should. They (Russia) is already on bad terms with the states for 'protecting' him. Not that Russia is to big on the idea of leaking information.

I think it's right. If you work somewhere where illegalities are happening and to bring it to the fore you yourself have to commit some then it is in the name of good. You're actively protecting what is good by doing so.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

The man should be honored.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yep he should be honored.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts

Give him two more, he deserves it. The guy literally took a huge dive just to let people know where their money was going.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@thebest31406 said:

The man should be honored.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Rewarding treason... f***ing disgraceful.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

whistleblowers arent the bad guys here

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

It's a country of the people, for the people. Was the government not committing treason by spying illegally on it's citizens? The government betrayed it's citizens, that's treason in my books.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OrkHammer007

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

It's a country of the people, for the people. Was the government not committing treason by spying illegally on it's citizens? The government betrayed it's citizens, that's treason in my books.

Snowden gave the information to the f***ing world, crippled our efforts at counterterrorism by exposing our methods to the people we were f***ing USING them on, and instigated a diplomatic clusterf*** with our allies. How, exactly, is THAT not "treason?"

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The government was spying on the PEOPLE. You know, THE PEOPLE. By the people, for the people. This guy gets lambasted for "spying" which revealed the spying done by America. Talk about being hypocritical. Our government believes it can do anything it wants and our leaders hate when someone pushes back.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

Snowden gave the information to the f***ing world, crippled our efforts at counterterrorism by exposing our methods to the people we were f***ing USING them on, and instigated a diplomatic clusterf*** with our allies. How, exactly, is THAT not "treason?"

geez calm down bro.. im sure the NSA is still spying on your and infringing on your rights as we speak. dont get so butt hurt

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

The U.S. committed treason first and then hid it from it's own people. How else was he suppose to expose the shit they were doing. If he committed treason so be it. Our government is trash and someone has to hold them responsible.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

Nice try NSA

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

Great job at repeating those sound bytes.

Our government is out of control and you and anyone else who rushes to defend them is an abject fool. Harsh words yes but I've had enough of you intellectual simpletons who can't see that our government has taken a big fat shit on the bill of rights and it's people like you sir, who are handing it to them when they are done to also wipe their ass with it.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

maybe it is he conspiracy theorist in me. but i don't snowden is the hero people are making him out to be. i don't believe he leaked that information for the good of the people. i think he is working for another government. whether it is russia or not he is benefiting more than we think from this leak.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i don't support what the US government was up to but i don't believe Snowden's motives were truly altruistic either.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Good for them. He deserves the award and recognition of his efforts.

The NSA can suck my dick.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OrkHammer007

Gang up on me some more... accuse me of being an NSA defender... problem is:

A.) I'm not defending the NSA. I've been very vocal in the past about being against their spying, and hypocrisy of certain politicians who defend this bullshit (like that two-faced f*** Obama).

B.) The gov't can't commit treason against itself. If you want to blame anyone, it's the complacent morons who continually vote in those who allow the NSA to watch you 24/7.

(...and let's not kid ourselves here... I don't give a shit if they have the manpower to spy on everyone, they have the capability, and that can't be allowed in a free society)

That said... what Snowden did was treason. A whistleblower tells superiors about wrong-doing... he doesn't air it to the f***ing world. Not only that, he doesn't blackmail an entire government to keep his freedom, like Snowden did with the NOC lists on the laptops he smuggled.

He doesn't deserve a medal. He deserves a bullet to the head. It's a f***ing shame so many stupid people refuse to accept that.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@OrkHammer007 said:

That said... what Snowden did was treason. A whistleblower tells superiors about wrong-doing... he doesn't air it to the f***ing world. Not only that, he doesn't blackmail an entire government to keep his freedom, like Snowden did with the NOC lists on the laptops he smuggled.

He doesn't deserve a medal. He deserves a bullet to the head. It's a f***ing shame so many stupid people refuse to accept that.

Tell his superiors? They all knew this shit was going on. What the hell would that have done? Nothing. Airing it to the world was the best possible course of action. It embarrasses them and hopefully pressures them to change. In this case, it didn't, but it was the best shot he had. He deserves a bullet to the head for exposing government spying? In what world does that make sense? And if you are so against the government spying on us, why the hell are you bothered by him trying to "blackmail" them?

Does he deserve an award? Definitely not. but I don't think he should be killed either.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Too bad it's too late, and the machine is already taken over.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fightingfan

@OrkHammer007 said:

Gang up on me some more... accuse me of being an NSA defender... problem is:

A.) I'm not defending the NSA. I've been very vocal in the past about being against their spying, and hypocrisy of certain politicians who defend this bullshit (like that two-faced f*** Obama).

B.) The gov't can't commit treason against itself. If you want to blame anyone, it's the complacent morons who continually vote in those who allow the NSA to watch you 24/7.

(...and let's not kid ourselves here... I don't give a shit if they have the manpower to spy on everyone, they have the capability, and that can't be allowed in a free society)

His acts probably don't meet the requirements in the United States to classify as "treason", which can results in death. His actions did show a negative cognition towards the Government, but it didn't result in betrayal of the government. You would have to do something like torture US troops in Afghanistan, while being an American citizen, soldier, or ally of the government to get convicted of treason. Another way I could see being charged is by aiding an enemy of the government such as Saddam post-1990s.

Hell I guess Martin Luther King Jr should of been convicted of treason given he showed the American people the US constitution didn't hold true for the vast majority. I mean you tell your superiors or those with legal power, right?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Snowden is a hero to anybody who doesn't fully understand how intel collection works. People who keep claiming that he had a right to expose it because it somehow violates the Fourth Amendment seem to forget that the Supreme Court reviewed the programs and found them legal. Fact of the matter is the internet and telephones didn't exist in the 1700s and the government needs to be able to keep up with technology when it comes to dangers from outside the borders.

Another thing is even if you agree with the domestic programs being shown, it doesn't justify the overseas programs being exposed as well. Also, a lot of the people who are claiming the NSA programs violated the Fourth Amendment don't seem to be complaining that laws prohibiting felons, spouse beaters (Launtenberg Amendment), and the mentally ill from possessing firearms may violate the Second Amendment despite it not explicitly having those exceptions in the text.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ad1x2

@Fightingfan said:

Hell I guess Martin Luther King Jr should of been convicted of treason given he showed the American people the US constitution didn't hold true for the vast majority. I mean you tell your superiors or those with legal power, right?

You can't compare Snowden to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. because MLK didn't expose classified information or do anything else that could have potentially violate the Espionage Act of 1917. It was public knowledge that non-whites didn't have the same rights as whites and openly protesting that fact isn't illegal. Protesting is allowed under the First Amendment.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fightingfan
@ad1x2 said:

Snowden is a hero to anybody who doesn't fully understand how intel collection works. People who keep claiming that he had a right to expose it because it somehow violates the Fourth Amendment seem to forget that the Supreme Court reviewed the programs and found them legal. Fact of the matter is the internet and telephones didn't exist in the 1700s and the government needs to be able to keep up with technology when it comes to dangers from outside the borders.

Another thing is even if you agree with the domestic programs being shown, it doesn't justify the overseas programs being exposed as well. Also, a lot of the people who are claiming the NSA programs violated the Fourth Amendment don't seem to be complaining that laws prohibiting felons, spouse beaters (Launtenberg Amendment), and the mentally ill from possessing firearms may violate the Second Amendment despite it not explicitly having those exceptions in the text.

That's a valid porint.

The state of Louisiana is debating that.

If you regulate the 2nd amendment by banning certain individuals it's no longer a right, but a privileged.

http://theadvocate.com/home/7320105-125/state-supreme-court-to-decide

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fightingfan

@ad1x2 said:

@Fightingfan said:

You can't compare Snowden to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. because MLK didn't expose classified information or do anything else that could have potentially violate the Espionage Act of 1917. It was public knowledge that non-whites didn't have the same rights as whites and openly protesting that fact isn't illegal. Protesting is allowed under the First Amendment.

The US constitution didn't apply to blacks/hispanics/non-whites until about the 1970s across America(mainly the south).

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Just realized whatever Snowden leaked is useless to me and may as well be only useful to enemies

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ad1x2

@Fightingfan: Certain rights may have been denied to non-whites but for the most part the Constitution did apply to them. The Thirteenth Amendment protected blacks from being made slaves again and the Fourteenth Amendment was so former slaves born on US soil can't be denied citizenship (although they may have reconsidered that one if they knew illegal immigrants would be taking advantage of the amendment over a century later).

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

Shame there isn't more whistle blowers like him.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

There was a court case way back in I think '94 where the supreme court ruled that government monitoring is ok with probably cause.

Nobody was betrayed, don't go all drama queen on us.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fightingfan

@ad1x2 said:

@Fightingfan: Certain rights may have been denied to non-whites but for the most part the Constitution did apply to them. The Thirteenth Amendment protected blacks from being made slaves again and the Fourteenth Amendment was so former slaves born on US soil can't be denied citizenship (although they may have reconsidered that one if they knew illegal immigrants would be taking advantage of the amendment over a century later).

Lets be real - if you tried to use your rights in the 1960s in the south and you were a black man prepare to get lynched, beaten, or your family raped. There was no due process.

While you're right it did apply; realistically it didn't. Even if you made it to court better hope the Judge wasn't racist.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fightingfan

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@OrkHammer007 said:

There was a court case way back in I think '94 where the supreme court ruled that government monitoring is ok with probably cause.

Nobody was betrayed, don't go all drama queen on us.

Probable cause in a home? I don't see that happening.

Here in Miami they tried to go door step to door step with dogs to arrest people with drugs, and the SC knocked Miami Dade police down. They claim if an officer is close enough to utilize a dog for drugs it's a violation of the 4th amendment - unless of course they have a search warrant.

Interesting how drug dogs are "Searches" in homes, but not roadways.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/drug-sniffing-dogs-unconstitutional-search_n_2956079.html

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

The justices on the SCOTUS are politicians. People think they are judges but they rule on cases (9 out of 10 times) based on politics and outside influences. I don't believe violating the Constitution is acceptable regardless even if the intentions are good.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Fact of the matter is the internet and telephones didn't exist in the 1700s and the government needs to be able to keep up with technology when it comes to dangers from outside the borders.

Isn't that the exact same argument people use in regards to gun control?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fightingfan

@PannicAtack said:

@ad1x2 said:

Fact of the matter is the internet and telephones didn't exist in the 1700s and the government needs to be able to keep up with technology when it comes to dangers from outside the borders.

the internet didn't exist, nor magazines. Lets regulate the 1st amendment.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ad1x2

@PannicAtack said:

@ad1x2 said:

The Second Amendment says the right to bear arms "Shall not be infringed," not "Shall not be infringed unless you are a felon, spouse beater, or mentally ill." Nor does it say anything about possessing permits to buy a gun, or a 21 and over limit on handguns, or conducting background checks in general before selling a firearm.

Should we allow the mentally ill and felons to legally own full auto machine guns since anything less may "violate" their Second Amendment right to bear arms? Powerful machine guns didn't exist back then but who are we to say they can't have them despite their past since the Second Amendment doesn't say they can't.

I am all for guns but I'm going to use common sense. Somebody saying we should shut down the NSA because in their opinion they might be violating the Fourth Amendment (which they aren't) isn't looking at the big picture. The government can find out more about most people here looking at their Facebook than they would ever need the NSA for.

Even here on Gamespot some posters posted more than enough information about themselves than necessary on their GS profiles, to include their full name, full date of birth, and photo. That combined with search engines and any decent identity thief or stalker can find their address and start making their lives miserable.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wonder what Russia would do if he leaked their secrets. That award would disappear mighty quick.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ad1x2

@Fightingfan said:

@ad1x2 said:

Lets be real - if you tried to use your rights in the 1960s in the south and you were a black man prepare to get lynched, beaten, or your family raped. There was no due process.

While you're right it did apply; realistically it didn't. Even if you made it to court better hope the Judge wasn't racist.

Going by that scenario, you could argue I don't have First Amendment rights because I can't walk into Blood territory wearing Crips colors without the risk of being jumped or even killed. Just because a few people who are racist are willing to break the law to push their opinion doesn't mean it is sanctioned by the government.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@ad1x2 said:

The Second Amendment says the right to bear arms "Shall not be infringed," not "Shall not be infringed unless you are a felon, spouse beater, or mentally ill." Nor does it say anything about possessing permits to buy a gun, or a 21 and over limit on handguns, or conducting background checks in general before selling a firearm.

Should we allow the mentally ill and felons to legally own full auto machine guns since anything less may "violate" their Second Amendment right to bear arms? Powerful machine guns didn't exist back then but who are we to say they can't have them despite their past since the Second Amendment doesn't say they can't.

I am all for guns but I'm going to use common sense. Somebody saying we should shut down the NSA because in their opinion they might be violating the Fourth Amendment (which they aren't) isn't looking at the big picture. The government can find out more about most people here looking at their Facebook than they would ever need the NSA for.

Even here on Gamespot some posters posted more than enough information about themselves than necessary on their GS profiles, to include their full name, full date of birth, and photo. That combined with search engines and any decent identity thief or stalker can find their address and start making their lives miserable.

There are always limits, you can't go yell fire in a theater.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@VaguelyTagged said:

i don't support what the US government was up to but i don't believe Snowden's motives were truly altruistic either.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ad1x2

@Person0 said:

Did I ever say you can? In all honesty, people in the past have tried to argue that arresting people for yelling fire in a theater or bomb in an airport violates their rights. In other words, they feel that their right to be an idiot is more important than the government's right to prevent you from inciting a panic that may become fatal to some.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

@Person0 said:

Did I ever say you can? In all honesty, people in the past have tried to argue that arresting people for yelling fire in a theater or bomb in an airport violates their rights. In other words, they feel that their right to be an idiot is more important than the government's right to prevent you from inciting a panic that may become fatal to some.

Such people have no basic understand of responsibility and the social contract. They focus entirely on the rights and none of the responsibilities that go with those rights.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Dude, this guy deserves the recognition and honors. He really just wanted to help out our country straight-up, no matter what he had to do. If anyone disagrees, fine, but I think this man should be respected whole-heartedly. What he did was brutally honest in one of the best ways imaginable.